PDA

View Full Version : re-usable sealer jar lids

Sniper-T
04-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Anyone use them? review?

I'm sick of buying those damn metal one-use ones that never go on sale, and I came across these.

Thoughts?

Reusable Canning Lids (http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-lids.html#axzz1syKq4Qhy)

mollypup
04-24-2012, 03:54 PM
I don't know about the Tattler reusable lids though they do look interesting. I've started saving my used metal canning jar lids for experimental purposes. I'm going to try to heat them up and see if the sealing material can be used again. I hate throwing them away if there's a chance that they can be reused. I'll try a small canning experiment to see if they seal. If not, then I've got to find some other use for them....I hate the idea of just tossing them in the trash.

Grumpy Old Man
04-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Sniper check out Mother Earth's take on them at Mrs Survival. She hasn't been posting much lately as her DH, Father Time has been ill. But she also has an internet radio show on The Just Measures Radio Network that deals with food preservation.

bacpacker
04-24-2012, 10:46 PM
I've read some good reviews on them. We bought a few boxes of them over the winter and will be trying them out later this year.

Taz Baby
04-25-2012, 02:52 AM
I don't know about the Tattler reusable lids though they do look interesting. I've started saving my used metal canning jar lids for experimental purposes. I'm going to try to heat them up and see if the sealing material can be used again. I hate throwing them away if there's a chance that they can be reused. I'll try a small canning experiment to see if they seal. If not, then I've got to find some other use for them....I hate the idea of just tossing them in the trash.

Take an ice pic and put a hole it the lid, then string them up in the garden to keep the birds away from eating your tomatoes and grapes and hang them in your fruit tree's ect.

Taz Baby
04-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Uses for Used Canning Lids | ThriftyFun (http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf60768970.tip.html)

Alas Babylon
05-01-2012, 03:15 PM
last month I canned some tomatoes and soups with the tattler lids. I did half batch of tattlers and half batch of regular lids as a control.
Many of the tattler lids did not "suck down" like the metal lids do, so you can tell if they leak or produces gas from bacteria.
I read that this is normal for tattler lids, but it is a bit unnerving after being used to the metal lids.
I know they sealed, and I can shake the jars upside down with no bands and they hold, so time will tell.
I'm interested to see how they work on the second and third use.

Sniper-T
05-01-2012, 03:19 PM
^ keep us posted

msomnipotent
05-02-2012, 03:47 PM
last month I canned some tomatoes and soups with the tattler lids. I did half batch of tattlers and half batch of regular lids as a control.
Many of the tattler lids did not "suck down" like the metal lids do, so you can tell if they leak or produces gas from bacteria.
I read that this is normal for tattler lids, but it is a bit unnerving after being used to the metal lids.
I know they sealed, and I can shake the jars upside down with no bands and they hold, so time will tell.
I'm interested to see how they work on the second and third use.

Interesting. I didn't know that about the lids. I bought a few boxes of them but haven't used them yet. It is on my list of things to do this summer.

Molly, I have reused the other lids with some success. I haven't had any problems using them once more, but I did lose some canned spaghetti sauce using the lids a third time.

ladyhk13
05-03-2012, 05:37 AM
I use them to store leftovers in. I like that ya can see through them so they come in handy for liquids and soft stuff. You can also store your seeds in them.