PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel snaring

Grumpy Old Man
04-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Here's a link to a guy's method of snaring squirrels in British Columbia, eh!

Squirrel Snaring (http://www.thehuntinglife.com/squirel-snaring/)

Have you ever done this Sniper?

IDTANDY
04-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks,
Looks like a good setup.A little Hasenpfeffer :D .I like to add squirrel to my rabbit stew.

Sniper-T
04-25-2012, 08:24 PM
when I was a kid, we used to set snares on the top rail of a fence, in a similar fashion, but didn't use a bait station, we just put some nuts or a smear of peanut butter on the top.

This coul be handy for hunting, as the pole could be used as a walking stick, and then when you get to the area you want to sit set that up a little ways away. squirrels always come by to chatter at you, as if giving you shit for intruding. might be an easy way to procure a snack or two without trying.

Twitchy
04-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Sniper, may I add that you have a way with words!! Lol...

I've never had squirrel nor snared them... Ill have to give it a go one of these days...

piranha2
04-26-2012, 12:23 AM
One thing to remember when trapping small game - everything loves peanut butter. From mice to squirrels and all between. Like me, they can't resist.

Sniper-T
06-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Just came across this, and was quite surprised. Is this jut in the city, or State wide?

NJ Man Arrested For Shooting Backyard Squirrels | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes (http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/nj-man-arrested-for-shooting-backyard-squirrels.html)

Grumpy Old Man
06-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Well, it is, after all, in Nu Joisie. And it's a town ordinance that you can't shoot squirrels in the town limits. The way the article was written and the quotes from the police likened his actions to vigilante justice. He should have hired a professional exterminator apparently.

Our elected officials are incompetent boobs. And that doesn't say anything good about the electorate.

Onestep
06-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Displaying them on the fence was what got him in trouble, not sure why anyone would do that.:confused:
Pop 'em with a Gamo Whisper (my weapon of choice) and dispose of (more than a couple of ways) so as to not draw any attention to one-self. EZPZ

Sniper-T
06-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Oddly enough, 'displaying' them does send a message to others not to come around. I have a problem with chipmonks around my place, they're very damaging. being that I live in a forest, there is a lot of them. I could fill a garbage bag with what I shot each of the first couple years there, until a neighbour told me about displaying them. Now I only have to shoot one or two every couple weeks. and I hang em on a tree on the edge of the yard. I wont see another one in the yard until that one is gone (coyote/wolf/cats/birds/etc). I know they're still around, because I see and hear them in the bush, but they wont come into the yard.

Doing this in the middle of a city... not so smart, especially if there is a bylaw saying they can't be killed.

Onestep
06-21-2012, 05:40 PM
I didn't know that Sniper, good to know.
I've got them to the point where they see me now, they think "here's the crazy farmer again, we better haul azz" and they high tail it out of the yard. they won't even come off the fence anymore. Can't understand why :p