PDA

View Full Version : Cashless Society

sidewinder
04-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Think about this...if the US goes cashless....will we be able to use gold & silver to buy stuff and pay bills?

Think about it don't just reply with a smart ass answer..

What if the answer is no? If everything is required to be electronic or on paper....and there is nothing to give anyone any change...

sidewinder
04-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Wouldn't the same thing apply with any money you have stashed away? If it becomes illegal to use the money we currently know...It's all worthless instantly. If transactions in gold & silver become illegal...what are you going to do?

Grumpy Old Man
04-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Underground economy. This is what happened in the Balkans during the civil wars over there. Goods and services replaced cash as the "currency". If everything is cashless and we have to use cards to purchase, etc, then a black market (underground economy) will emerge.

mitunnelrat
04-26-2012, 07:34 PM
If it becomes illegal to use the money we currently know...

If transactions in gold & silver become illegal...what are you going to do?

I'm with Grumpy, I think we'd see an underground economy grow and prosper. I'm also pretty sure we'd see more direct barter of goods between individuals.

Now, as for this...

Think about it don't just reply with a smart ass answer..

I'll follow the "if" vein from above:

If your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle. ;) :D

Taz Baby
04-26-2012, 08:41 PM
barter system as been and always will be a way to get what you need. No matter what the government does to control us, they can,t stop that.

bacpacker
04-27-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm in agreement with Grumpy, MIT, and Taz. Barter is the way to go. Either item for item or labor for item. I bet there is a lot more of that going on right now than most people think.

The Stig
04-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Yea, is a cashless society possible. Sure? Maybe in 50 years we might get there.

But in short term, if someone waived a magic wand, and all money went poof, there's always going to be a barter system of some sort.

That opens the door for using silver/gold to barter.

Right now I can't use silver/gold to pay my bills anyway.

izzyscout21
04-27-2012, 02:49 AM
Right now I can't use silver/gold to pay my bills anyway.

^^bingo.

right now, as a currency, precious metals are useless. But..............

As an investment, pretty smart.

Last time I checked, walmart didn't take silver dollars.

Sniper-T
04-27-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't get it! :confused:

How could you go cashless? The rest of the world operates on a monetary system, if the US doesn't, what is that going to do for imports/exports?

If it is just a matter that your dollar is severely devalued to the point of worthlessness, it will still have a value, just diminished.

Illegal to use money? huh?? What do you think the government is going to want to collect their taxes in? goats? Do you think that businesses around the world are going to stop using cash? Better stock up on chicken feed, another tanker is heading to the US.

Not only does Walmart not take silver or gold, but they also don't take rabbits, potatoes or pumpkins.

Sorry, I don't understand the entire premise of this thread.

:confused:

The Stig
04-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Sorry, I don't understand the entire premise of this thread.

:confused:

You aren't the only one.

I appreciate the OP's efforts to create a thought provoking thread. I wish more members would start more threads. But this one is so out there that I'm not sure how to realistically discuss it in anyway that's relevant to life.

bacpacker
04-27-2012, 12:13 PM
My take on the cashless society is this. There is much talk about converting everything to electronic currency. Instead of cash you just swipe your card, funds are transfered and your done. If you think about it, how many of us on here use a debit card on a regular basis? I know folks that keep little to no cash, just debit card only. Maybe a credit card. Banking and bill pay online is another step down that road.

Large monetary transfers such as a tankers of oil are already electronic fund transfers. There is no cash involved. I could see this changing in maybe the next 10-20 years from cash to cashless.

Just my .02. With inflation, that is much less than a penny now.

The Stig
04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
My take on the cashless society is this. There is much talk about converting everything to electronic currency. Instead of cash you just swipe your card,funds are transfered and your done. If you think about it how many of us on here use a debit card on a regular basis? I know folks that keep little to no cash just debit card only. Maybe a credit card. Banking and bill pay online is another step down that road.

Large monetary transfers such as a tanker of oil are already electronic fund transfers. There is no cash involved. I could see this changing in maybe the next 10-20 years from cash to cashless.
Just my .02 whick inflation is much less than a penny now.

Yea, I can see that. Hell, I barely carry any cash now.

But to me, and maybe I'm just dense, I don't see us going totally cashless for a long long time. I don't see my Grandfather going cashless. I don't see all my 75 to 85 year old aunts and uncles surrendering cash.

Now my 18 year old cousins, who were raised on interent and facebook? That's a different story and when cashless becomes a reality (and even then, I don't see people going for it). So if it were to pass, and back to the OP's original topic, would we be able to use silver/gold to pay our bills? No. But we aren't doing this now, so who cares.

Gold/Silver is for barter and potential investment, nothing else.

Sniper-T
04-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Ahhh... ok. Not cashless, but paperless. Around here a debit card is as good as cash. and for the most part, used interchangably. I always carry some paper/coin money on me, as more often than not, it creates better deals, but for 90% of my day to day purchases, they're done via card. all my payments are done electronically. my cheque gets deposited automatically.

But when I stop to get a tire fixed, and the sign on the wall says $12.50; a $10.00 handshake is sufficient

I know people who Will NOT use plastic for anything. They get their paper cheque, go to the bank to cash it, and then pay cash in person for everything. Personally, I don't have time to run around paying bills in person. electronic is a sweet convenience!

Thanks for the clarrification!

Fatty
04-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Your answers lay with Sweden.
Sweden Edges Closer To Becoming Cashless Society (http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/03/17/sweden-cashless-money-paper-coin_n_1355255.html)

And their wonderful women:)

The Stig
04-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote from the story....

Three per cent is still too much if you ask Ulvaeus. A cashless society may seem like an odd cause for someone who made a fortune on "Money, Money, Money" and other ABBA hits, but for Ulvaeus it's a matter of security.

After his son was robbed for the third time he started advocating a faster transition to a fully digital economy, if only to make life harder for thieves.

"If there were no cash, what would they do?" says Ulvaeus, 66.

The Swedish Bankers' Association says the shrinkage of the cash economy is already making an impact in crime statistics.

So the dude from ABBA wants a cashless society because his son was robbed and if there were no cash criminals would suddenly.......stop being criminals? Yea, they wouldn't ever rob you for your watch or shoes. They wouldn't start breaking into houses or cars instead. They'd never think of exploring other illegal schemes to make a buck. Fuck me, they'd probably never think of trying to steel your electronic money. Nobody ever does that.

Nope....no cash means they'd throw up their hands in frustration and go on the straight and narrow. :rolleyes:

Fucking musicians who want to pretend to be smart make me want to toss puppies in a wood chipper.

Sniper-T
04-27-2012, 01:27 PM
^ my wife dragged me to a U2 show last year. Bone-head had his POS propaganda flashing on screens and ticker tapes all the time. and never mind most of his lyrics *shudder*

I could've filled my pond with chipped puppies

helomech
04-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Not only does Walmart not take silver or gold, but they also don't take rabbits, potatoes or pumpkins.

Tractor supply does, and so do the feed stores. I can barter at most places where I live.

bacpacker
04-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Yea, I can see that. Hell, I barely carry any cash now.

But to me, and maybe I'm just dense, I don't see us going totally cashless for a long long time. I don't see my Grandfather going cashless. I don't see all my 75 to 85 year old aunts and uncles surrendering cash.

Now my 18 year old cousins, who were raised on interent and facebook? That's a different story and when cashless becomes a reality (and even then, I don't see people going for it). So if it were to pass, and back to the OP's original topic, would we be able to use silver/gold to pay our bills? No. But we aren't doing this now, so who cares.

Gold/Silver is for barter and potential investment, nothing else.

The older generation is why i said 10-#20 years. There won't be many of them left by then. My parents are in their 70's now and they use a debit card for some stuff. Not nearly everything but some. My grandparents NO way in hell would they use a card. We found several thousand dollars in Mamaw's freezer when she died.

My pay and I'm sure others on here is direct deposit. I never get a check. Social security, pensions, and such, same thing. It's not that far of a reach in my opinion.

Grumpy Old Man
04-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Fucking musicians who want to pretend to be smart make me want to toss puppies in a wood chipper.

Why not use musicians and save the puppies for soup later? Or hot dogs?

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/GrumpyOldMan53/loverboy1774700-1.jpg

Seriously, when people like actors, musicians and entertainers get taken seriously for their opinions, we are in deep kimchi. Having a credible opinion usually means that you have a fair bit of knowledge on a subject. Sadly, that no longer seems to be the case. In any transaction something of value is exchanged for something else of value. Going to a paperless economy may or may not be the TPTB method of tracking expenditures, if they wish too.

In my opinion, there will be for the forseeable future cash. Think of how much criminal activity uses cash. Think of how the poor have to use cash if they are not on the dole. Think of the number of people who prefer cash. And think of the U.S. with 300,000,000+ people vs Sweden with 9,000,000+ people. Their population is small enough that they may, and that is a big may, be able to pull it off, but they also have a sizable portion of the population from the middle east where cash is king.

Just some things to think about when contemplating these sorts of things

Optimist
04-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Keeping in mind that trade is harder to stamp out than cockroaches in a New York apartment, I don't give the 'cashless society' much hope of being effective at implementing the kind of control the .gov is anticipating. "Any prohibition invariably produces a black market to service it...."

ladyhk13
04-28-2012, 03:15 AM
It's actually very easy it you think about it. Most people no longer get a paper pay check. It's direct deposit...they never see it. A lot of people do online banking, they don't write checks or take cash to the merchent to pay (most of us use credit or debit cards at the grocery or WalMart), once again...no cash. Many mortgage companies will give you a discount on your interest rate if you will have an automatic withdraw from your account so you never send any money in. We were just notified by TriCare that they will no longer accept checks for premiums, it must be by automatic withdraw or credit card. Anything you buy online is credit card/paypal so again no cash. Our country has been slowly going cashless but we have become programmed to that fact and don't even think about it much. Every store in the U.S. takes our debit/credit cards now. How many of you actually carry the bulk of your money in cash? Everyone I know uses debit cards and has direct deposit so the need for actual cash unless you are traveling is about nil. We keep cash because we are of a different mindset and not sheeple...most of our country is not the same way.

mitunnelrat
04-28-2012, 06:46 PM
I actually do carry the bulk of my money in cash, now at least. I never used to, and because I didn't physically see the balance depleting I regularly overspent.

That effect alone of cash - seeing it go - is well worth it to me. I spend less. Conversely, I wonder if the paper associated with debit cards - receipts - feeds another psychological appetite - the desire to have things. "I'm doing good, I'm able to get stuff" kind of thing

IDTANDY
04-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Interesting read.

» Cashless Society: India Implements First Biometric ID Program for all of its 1.2 Billion Residents Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind! (http://www.infowars.com/cashless-society-india-implements-first-biometric-id-program-for-all-of-its-1-2-billion-residents/)

Another.

» A Cashless Society May Be Closer Than Most People Would Ever Dare To Imagine Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind! (http://www.infowars.com/a-cashless-society-may-be-closer-than-most-people-would-ever-dare-to-imagine/)

Just afew,I barter for as much as I can....Still have the Debt card,no credit cards,went down that road once.
Orwellian...........isn't it.

Katrina
04-29-2012, 03:17 AM
Know what you mean BP, When we opened Pop's safe he had over 16K in paper money and about 1k in coins sitting there.

Kodiak
04-29-2012, 03:54 AM
Its inevitable that within the next 50 yrs we will live in a paperless society. Think about how much has changed in the last 50 yrs and try to wrap your head around what society will be like in another 50.

sidewinder
04-29-2012, 08:11 AM
So if all the money can only be accessed from one bank account to another...what are you going to do?

No cash means no cash. You don't get a paycheck in cash. You don't write a check for cash. You can't withdraw cash from any account. You can not pay in cash.

All transactions are from one account to another. You go shopping the store takes your money from your account and deposits it in their account.

Your paycheck is direct deposit. They won't even need cash registers..no need for cash change...

It's not hard to understand. You can't make money under the table. Criminals can't counterfit money. You can't buy or sell drugs..

You can't use gold & silver...just electronic money...from one account to another.

Currently only 3% of our money is actual cash.

If nobody accepts gold or silver because you have to show an electronic transfer because all of your inventory is on a computer and so is the bank account..

What good will gold & silver be?

The Stig
04-29-2012, 06:40 PM

Are you suggesting people avoid gold/silver because of one scenario that could result in it losing it's value?

piranha2
04-30-2012, 12:39 AM
I pay cash for everything except my cell bill and gas to go to the camp and back. I never use my debit card unless there is an emergency, and there never has been yet. Guess I am a paranoid old fool. My kids will use their card at frigging Mickie Ds.

LUNCHBOX
04-30-2012, 12:22 PM
So if all the money can only be accessed from one bank account to another...what are you going to do?

No cash means no cash. You don't get a paycheck in cash. You don't write a check for cash. You can't withdraw cash from any account. You can not pay in cash.

All transactions are from one account to another. You go shopping the store takes your money from your account and deposits it in their account.

Your paycheck is direct deposit. They won't even need cash registers..no need for cash change...

It's not hard to understand. You can't make money under the table. Criminals can't counterfit money. You can't buy or sell drugs..

You can't use gold & silver...just electronic money...from one account to another.

If nobody accepts gold or silver because you have to show an electronic transfer because all of your inventory is on a computer and so is the bank account..

Why does it matter if there is cash or not. If you want to buy something and a store pulls $$$ from one account to another...who cares. You still made your purchase. We can have a cashless society and still function. It's when we don't have the economy for the cash that's going to put a hurting on everyone. We can always have a barter system, a cashless society doesn't spell disaster.

helomech
04-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Why does it matter if there is cash or not. If you want to buy something and a store pulls $$$ from one account to another...who cares. You still made your purchase. We can have a cashless society and still function. It's when we don't have the economy for the cash that's going to put a hurting on everyone. We can always have a barter system, a cashless society doesn't spell disaster.

Because with a cashless system you have no control over your money. If I am holding my cash I can control it, but if it is just numbers on a screen anyone can control it. If someone wants they can also control where you spend it.

bacpacker
04-30-2012, 03:46 PM
I think Helo just made the connection. Even something a simple as a mistake by a banker could wipe out your entire account and leave with nothing. Hackers are already very good at this. If you have physical control of your money that would be much harder to do.

Grumpy Old Man
04-30-2012, 04:46 PM

I believe this figure is incorrect for the U.S. the 3% was for Sweden, 9% for the Eurozone and 7% for the U.S. as stated in the article that was linked in a previous post.

Sweden Edges Closer To Becoming Cashless Society (http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/03/17/sweden-cashless-money-paper-coin_n_1355255.html)

ladyhk13
05-01-2012, 01:19 AM
I have been thinking that I am going to start taking money out every time I make a purchase with my debit card (I use the card for everything-I earn good interest on my checking account by doing 10 transactions a month plus it's just easy) and putting it away with our other money and put it into caches around our properties. Our electric co has been "doing repairs" every Saturday night - yeah right, I think they are just shutting down to save money. Can't get money out of ATM's or registers if the power is down. What happens if they decide to so it during the day? The key for us is to make sure we stay out of debt, keep cash around and make sure we are well supplied with the things we need plus barter items that can be used in lieu of cash.

sidewinder
05-15-2012, 06:21 AM
By going cashless...who controls everything?

Who can track everything?

Who can't hide anything?

Cashless is very easy to do.

All exchanges will be from one bank to another. I buy your car...I tell my bank to pay yours.
I get a paycheck that is directly deposited.

I buy food and the store takes the Money from my account by electronic transfer.

Nobody can take gold or silver....it doesn't come with a routing number. Taking gold or silver would be illegal because it can't be traced. IRS stuff...

If you have no bank account you can't have a job. Nobody has cash to pay you because all the cash has been collected....the printing presses are mothballed...

Gold & silver would have no value because nobody will take it..electronic money will be all that is recognised...

You just have a monthly statement showing where your money went and who paid you.

How can that not be relevant to SHTF?

Paper money would have no value so what good is hiding or having cash? Or gold or silver...plastic cards or a chip in your arm will be the only thing recognised..to make a transaction.

Could happen with an executive order..you have 30 days to turn in your cash...after that is will be worthless. Now what?

How does that affect your prepping plans?

We need cash why?

Sniper-T
05-15-2012, 11:37 AM
As it is, Big Banks realize profits of tens of Billions of dollars annually. If an executive order rendered cash useless, and gave the Banks Carte Blanche to control all finances... whooo Boy. I would HOPE that there would be a serious rebellion at that thought. It is bad enough as it is, where I have to pay the bank a fee to hold my money, a fee to use my money; and then they turn around and invest it along with everyone elses for top %ages, and tun around and give me a pitance of an interest payment.

Gold and silver are considered precious for a reason. they will always be coveted, and therefore always have a value.

If I want to buy a goat or a pig from my neighbour, we don't go to the bank to make an exchange of funds, I give him goods or services in an agreed upon amount. whether that be gold, silver, firewood, or cash. He in turn just made free money, as the govt cannot control or regulate how many goats he has. He in turn buys feed from a farmer down the road in the same manner.

People have always and will always try to work/pay 'under the table' to avoid taxes, making an income 'known' or just to stick it to 'the man' And then there is the whole black market idea. I have x amount of ammo. You want to buy y amount. If you think I'm going to run to the bank to alert the authorities that I'm doing a transaction to arm you... you got another think comin'! So, at that, you've given up all your cash, you have no silver or gold, and I wont do an electronic transfer for payment. You are SOL.

ladyhk13
05-15-2012, 05:22 PM
You are right Sniper...just ask my ex who owes me over $50K in back child support HA!
BYW Sniper, isn't Canada going to plastic money soon? My son told me the other day that it's in the works like they have in Japan. It's more like tokens for everything you do, Canada is going to be using it too.

Sniper-T
05-15-2012, 05:39 PM
They are still bills, not much different than the paper ones, but yeah, they're plastic. 100's and 50's so far, and they're ironing out the bugs in the 20's

New:
plastic bills, canada, pictures - Bing Images (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=plastic+bills%2c+canada%2c+pictures&view=detail&id=91C0F52C296405E6C3DC069B7439134D08A40DA1&first=0)

Current:
money, canada, pictures - Bing Images (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=money%2c+canada%2c+pictures&view=detail&id=0608D2AFFCCDD24F56C7853F67AC586F85E75A9A&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR)

Proposed future changes:
money, canada, pictures - Bing Images (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=money%2C+canada%2C+pictures&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=money%2C+canada%2C+pictures&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=#x0y0)

ladyhk13
05-15-2012, 06:12 PM
I was looking at some Canadian coins a while ago and saw one that has a polar bear on it and about freaked....my fav animal!!!! Told dh, gotta get with Sniper and buy some coin! But I don't think it normal money anymore, boooooooooooooohooooooooooooo!

piranha2
05-15-2012, 08:07 PM
The silver or gold Canadian maple leaf is still sweet to have.

Sniper-T
05-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Actually, it is. Our standard issue Toonie ($2.00 coin) features the polar bear

Toonie Bear - Wikiality, the Truthiness Encyclopedia (http://wikiality.wikia.com/Toonie_Bear)

mitunnelrat
05-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Its not that its irrelevant to shtf, sidewinder, but for me its more a matter of weighing out the possibilities against the probabilities. The only way gold and silver would be rendered fully null and void is if the entire world, including the criminal underworld, accepted it to have no value. I would call this a remote possibility at the high end, which means it is highly improbable.

If I, as a "law abiding" citizen (in appearance only) follow the cashless model to supply my needs, could I not then choose to sell them on a black market for PM's? You could amass a small fortune in that way, and then relocate to a nation that still works within that medium.

Also consider that people even now cheat and evade taxes. That won't change. Their current methods will simply be adapted to the new circumstances, but then, I just saw that T covered that pretty well.

sidewinder
05-18-2012, 05:08 PM
The banks could still make and charge interest & fees in a cashless society. You and they just don't get to hold it in their hands.. it's all on paper. Nothing would change except there will be no actual money. Electronic transfers would rule the day for everything coming and going into your account.

sidewinder
05-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Remember all the gold in the US was confiscated a while back. It was illegal to own...and that would make it illegal to use.

Since our paper money is worthless today and it's being printed 24/7 with nothing to back it...the government says turn in all your silver and gold for double the value...because they want to go cashless....

mitunnelrat
05-18-2012, 08:48 PM
PM's were withheld from the government even then. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's considered that while discussing this with you.

I'm beginning to wonder if you're willing to cede any of the points presented to you on this, or if its more likely you're digging in to defend what is a life defining paradigm for you.

Much of what I've seen to this point is the same argument presented from a new angle when the prior post was discounted. What references there are to our rebuttals seem to ignore that they support our views, even as they're written to support your's.

Yes, gold was confiscated, it was illegal to own. Yes, black/ underground economies are illegal to operate.

What's going to stop someone from using an illegal currency in an illegal market?

My next question, are you looking beyond US borders for this? Is there anything we've said in our replies that you agree or disagree with? Why/ why not?

I don't mind discussing and debating topics, but there's usually some give and take. Some rationale or logic behind them. If you can't achieve that, is a topic worth pursuing?

Is this topic worth continuing?

ladyhk13
05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Actually, it is. Our standard issue Toonie ($2.00 coin) features the polar bear

Toonie Bear - Wikiality, the Truthiness Encyclopedia (http://wikiality.wikia.com/Toonie_Bear)

I LOVE it!!! If I ever get up that way I'm going to get a whole bunch of them to bring home just to keep to look at. I adore polar bears, can't get enough of them!!

sidewinder
05-19-2012, 07:47 AM
With the European countries seriously entertaining the idea of cashless and the US has mentioned it years ago I think it's a real possibility. I also think it's close to having our dollar devalued to the point of worthless. So they can introduce a different currency for us or go totally cashless.

Cashless means a whole different set of rules. Everyone that preps has a stash of money in their bug out bag...There is also a measure in place to lock down all the ATMs to prevent bank runs. (ATMS are not necessarily just to take out cash) So even if you have plastic you won't be able to use it. Bugging out without money or something tradable is going to be a problem to think about. It could be closer than you think.

Without cash you don't even need banks that you can walk into. ATMs, card readers, checking or computers will be the only means of transactions. If they crash the market and everyone loses everything like in 1929 and all cash is gone or worthless and you can not make electronic transfers....sooner or later your gold & silver will run out. Nobody has that much laying around. There are still many people that think they don't need any gold or silver and paper money will always be there. Changes are in the wind...

The black market is alive and well today for many things but not everyone is using it. Fear of being arrested. Or no real need to. Only around 3% or less of all our wealth/money is cash....the rest is already electronic. It's a small step to complete the deal. You can get a card reader now for your cell phone.

Think about it...online banking, ATMs, card readers....they want to eliminate bank tellers...to save money..if they don't need actual walkin banks or tellers they can save a lot of money and we all know corporate greed is the name of the game.

I highly doubt anyone will be leaving the country to do their shopping. You will not get out of the country with any gold or silver. And you will not get in here with goods. You will be stuck here trying to survive. So the price of PMs in another part of the world will be irrelevant. If PMs become worthless here...it's worthless.

I'm trying to think outside the box on this.

sidewinder
05-25-2012, 08:56 AM
This is from someone living it right now...

I lived bank meltdown, hyperinflation... Now in ARGENTINA SINCE 2012 we are under massive CURRENCY control . Can´t buy 1 dollar or gold by LAW ! (http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1878992/pg1)

The local IRS ( AFIP) here is saying "if you wanto to escape from the shitty local currency > peso argentino> argentinian peso> you need to log in to our website and we will tell you if you can buy foreign currency or not according to your income statements."

Guess what: zero foreign currency or gold allowed for EVERYONE from now.

The country is going down. dollars are leaving the country. The economy is slowing fast.

I have lived hyperinflation, bank run. And now: total ban on foreign currency purchases. We can´t escape. Local inflation: more than 20% per year and rising.

Argentinians are going to the black market to escape. This is nasty. The socialist country is following the retard steps of Chavez and Venezuela. We are nationalizing companies just like Venezuela.

sidewinder
05-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Did you pay special attention about the ILLEGAL to BUY GOLD part?

Can't even buy foreign dollars...

Echo2
05-25-2012, 10:35 AM
On one of the other forums I frequent.....a fellow with the handle "Ferfal"...is a native Argentinian.

Some of the threads with him sound like here....scary stuff.

Sniper-T
05-25-2012, 10:52 AM

Did you pay special attention to the "going to the black Market to escape" part?

Echo2
05-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Anyone who thinks that it isn't here....should take a good look around.

This country is in a slow motion train wreck right now.

A lot of the "legislation" coming through the pipeline now is to keep folks from spending cash for sales....holding physical gold.....and speaking their mind.

Will the fun never end?

Fatty
05-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Amazon.com: The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse (9789870563457): Fernando Ferfal Aguirre: Books (http://www.amazon.com/dp/9870563457/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=18177871409&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14534200691537197697&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_8eskhsgqxj_b)

this is Ferfal's book. I bought it last year. Very good read. The best part is it all actually happened and he tells it like it was and in some cases, still is.

izzyscout21
05-25-2012, 01:46 PM
How many times have we discussed the whole "gold will be illegal to own" thing? All I see is a re-hashing of the same arguments from other threads.

Here's a perfect example of where we have discussed this already:

http://www.shtfready.com/f19/cashless-society-1779/index5.html#post31321

sidewinder
05-25-2012, 02:50 PM
How many times have we discussed the whole "gold will be illegal to own" thing? All I see is a re-hashing of the same arguments from other threads.

Here's a perfect example of where we have discussed this already:

http://www.shtfready.com/f19/cashless-society-1779/index5.html#post31321

How many will it take?

I'm psycho...er aaaa... I mean..psychic...

I would say we are not all that far away from being like Argentina..how many more european countries failing will it take to collapse the world..??

izzyscout21
05-25-2012, 03:19 PM
How many will it take?

I'm psycho...er aaaa... I mean..psychic...

I would say we are not all that far away from being like Argentina..how many more european countries failing will it take to collapse the world..??

The definition of insanity is "doing something over and over again while expecting different results".

While I appreciate you taking the time to sit down and pop out a post, please use a little common sense.

#1) We are not in Argentina.
#2) While you may be totally convinced that the world is coming to an end, everything is going to crash, and a years supply of food is mandatory for a "real" prepper, the vast majority of us here don't subscribe to this kind of hype and paranoia. Just because you believe it to be so, doesn't mean it's going to happen. Stop pushing this idea in multiple threads. I think one thread is enough.

How many threads are you going to start re-hashing the same crap all over again. Every time a moderator or staff member counter your post over lack of credible source/ proof/ or just lack of freaking common sense, you get your feeling hurt and go start an entirely different post about the same crap. That's paramount to asking mommy then running to daddy when you dont get the response you want.

Do you honestly think that the .gov is going to send someone to search every man, woman, child, and Paris Hilton's fucking Dog collar in the hopes of confiscating every piece of precious metal in the country? Come on, dude.
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/facepalm_implied1.jpg

I think MTR summed it up best:

PM's were withheld from the government even then. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's considered that while discussing this with you.

I'm beginning to wonder if you're willing to cede any of the points presented to you on this, or if its more likely you're digging in to defend what is a life defining paradigm for you.

Much of what I've seen to this point is the same argument presented from a new angle when the prior post was discounted. What references there are to our rebuttals seem to ignore that they support our views, even as they're written to support your's.

Yes, gold was confiscated, it was illegal to own. Yes, black/ underground economies are illegal to operate.

What's going to stop someone from using an illegal currency in an illegal market?

My next question, are you looking beyond US borders for this? Is there anything we've said in our replies that you agree or disagree with? Why/ why not?

I don't mind discussing and debating topics, but there's usually some give and take. Some rationale or logic behind them. If you can't achieve that, is a topic worth pursuing?

Is this topic worth continuing?

mitunnelrat
05-25-2012, 09:11 PM
How many will it take?

It will take precisely one. This one. You don't need multiple threads on the same subject - it is in fact against our rules. You can find those rules in our announcements. #5 is the relevant piece to this if you're wondering.

I've merged the two threads together this time. If anyone has to do so again you'll accomplish nothing more than pissing me off. Understood?

helomech
05-25-2012, 09:27 PM

Does anyone really care what they make illegal? I know i don't.

mitunnelrat
05-25-2012, 09:39 PM

By the way, how many European countries have failed? Argentina is South American.

How many other "facts" within your argument are patently false? You may want to stop and check them again before you continue this discussion. Not only does it damage your credibility making mistakes like this, you may be surprised at what you find...

eagle326
05-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Okay I've read this thread twice and I still don't know if I quite got it understood or not. But here goes my theory.

If we went to a cashless society and banks controlled all transactions ; that would be a bad thing because they and the Govt. could track your purchases.

As far as gold ; like was posted earlier ; gold and silver are precious metals and will always be valuable to someone. So a cashless society will work based on previous post about bartering.

Now here is how this old boy works and thinks.
I have most of the things needed to get by without money or precious metals. What I don't have or I need will be by bartering. I have never had any precious metals other than wedding rings. I have shelter and food and the things needed to get by.

Now as I tell other people ; you may have gold and silver to buy what you need if times get tough and I'll be waiting on you to come by for something you need.
Lastly those who buy precious metals FTF and untraceable are the ones who will most likely keep theirs.

Bartering has been around since the caveman and will be until the earth dies and goes cold.

Just my 2 cents