PDA

View Full Version : Stop eating Gulf seafood

sidewinder
04-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Looming Crisis: Officials Close Gulf Waters to Shrimping As Reports of Deformed Seafood Intensify | Stuart H. Smith (http://www.stuarthsmith.com/looming-crisis-officials-close-gulf-waters-to-shrimping-as-reports-of-deformed-seafood-intensify)

Looming Crisis: Officials Close Gulf Waters to Shrimping As Reports of Deformed Seafood Intensify

Did you vacation there? Did you swim in the ocean? Did you eat there...Stop breeding....for the sake of your future kids..

Same goes for seafood from JAPAN

The Stig
04-27-2012, 11:42 AM
From the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources announcement of the closure of shrimping in Mobile Bay

This closure is in response to routine shrimp sampling that indicated the average
size were smaller than 68 head-on shrimp per pound. Should sampling indicate a change in
the projected average size of 68 shrimp per pound, additional announcements will be provided
to modify the original announcement.

Found here (http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/saltwater/Shrimping.pdf)

It would seem the only news outlets carrying this are Al Jazera, infowars, freerepublic, dailykos. Enough said there.

Bon Secour, Wolf Bay and Little Lagoon are all parts of Alabama's Gulf shorelines. See the above PDF for further explanation. The reference to Mississippi sound is the tiny sliver that falls into Alabama's coastal waterways, not Mississippi's. Again, see the map. There are no announcements on the relevant Mississippi or Louisiana department websites.

So this is the action of one State, for very specific waters and for undersized shrimp counts, not deformed shrimp mutants.

And the shimper referenced in the linked report is from Louisiana, not Alabama.

Sniper-T
04-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Oh CRAP!

Guess the price of seafood is going through the roof!

:(

The Stig
04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Since this is clearly mangled reporting, and as yet unfounded, I've moved it to town hall.

It doesn't help the OP's cause that I live on the Gulf of Mexico and eat a metric shitpile of seafood. ;)

ETA: Not saying this isn't going on, or shouldn't be monitored but based on the accuracy of the current reports, and who is reporting it, for now it's in the "good to know, get back to me when you have something real" file.

Evolver
04-28-2012, 01:49 AM
:cool: As they say... two heads are better than one. I'm going over to the WEST coast of Florida swim in the water and eat all the sea food that I can catch. Woo Hoo!!!

Twitchy
04-28-2012, 04:42 AM
:cool: As they say... two heads are better than one. I'm going over to the WEST coast of Florida swim in the water and eat all the sea food that I can catch. Woo Hoo!!!

Let me know when and where, thats my AO!

Yep... Im a seafood buff... nothing beats a gulf coast seafood dinner!!

Grumpy Old Man
05-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Just as an aside Stig, Evolver and Vertstang, what exactly constitutes a metric shitpile of seafood? I fear that I may be under consuming and I don't want to be caught short. Does sushi and sashimi twice a week count? Can it be a combination of sea and freshwater catches? Do I get penalized a metric dog turd's worth if I consume my seafood with red meat? I need to know these things if I am to remain a seafood ant in good standing.

Sniper-T
05-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Oh Lord... here we go with the metric thing again...

:rolleyes:

why don't you guys convert already, and we'll all know what's what!

;)

Grumpy Old Man
05-01-2012, 10:19 PM
^^^^ Yeah Sniper and I bet you are a follower of the apostate Gaston the Heretic instead of a loyal believer in Saint John Moses of the Saline Lake.;)

bacpacker
05-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Being a tool whore myself, I have to agree with Sniper on switching to metric. Metric tools are much more accurate IMO.

BTW Would a shit pot full of Shrimp and Grits count?

IDTANDY
05-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Think it.s a load...........:rolleyes:

Been eating a ton of Gulf Seafood until I moved to TX.Knew a bunch of shripers,divers and fishermen as well as fishing.Haven't seen or heard of anything with the sea life,Panhandle Gulf.In fact runing down to So.La, on a seafood run,I really miss the stuff ain't none up here

ladyhk13
05-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Being a tool whore myself, I have to agree with Sniper on switching to metric. Metric tools are much more accurate IMO.

Ok, might be more accurate but dude....that would be just UN-American. Ya might as well suggest we switch over to the Euro!
I sure miss being able to get fresh seafood whenever I want being land locked now. Have any of you canned shrimp or crabmeat? Do you think it would make it mush or tough?

Sniper-T
05-03-2012, 11:14 AM
meh! the Euro is highly over rated!

Y'all should switch to the Canadian Dollar. It seems more stable than the USD anyways...

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/nest.gif

ladyhk13
05-03-2012, 05:59 PM
meh! the Euro is highly over rated!

Y'all should switch to the Canadian Dollar. It seems more stable than the USD anyways...

What part of UN-American did you not get? :)

So, no one has canned shrimp or crab?

Sniper-T
05-03-2012, 06:08 PM
"North American" ??? lol

and I'm watching that question closely too. obviously it can be done, as you can buy cans of both in the store... anyone???

Evolver
05-04-2012, 01:59 AM
Ok, might be more accurate but dude....that would be just UN-American. Ya might as well suggest we switch over to the Euro!
I sure miss being able to get fresh seafood whenever I want being land locked now. Have any of you canned shrimp or crabmeat? Do you think it would make it mush or tough?

We haven't canned any shrimp or crab due to the area that we live but we really do need to change the word to jared. Now days you say the word canned and most people instantly think that your packing it in cans with a pull top lid. :p

ladyhk13
05-04-2012, 02:50 AM
Evolver you are right about the verbage. I guess if we want to be correct we should be saying "putting up" (or has anyone ever "put up") as this is the way the old timers would say it. Not many young or newer people to the farming community (not so much prepping as living off of their land) are familiar with the term.

Twitchy
05-04-2012, 02:59 AM
Maybe im the weird one saying this, but i prefer the word canned :/

ladyhk13
05-04-2012, 03:04 AM
You just don't want to sound "old" kiddo!

Sniper-T
05-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm with V. I have been 'canning' in jars for 35+ years (including helping my mom); it'll always be canning to me

Grumpy Old Man
05-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Maybe im the weird one saying this, but i prefer the word canned :/

Vert, you are sort of weird, but it's not because you prefer the term canned, ROFL. I do remember that my paternal grand mother (born March 25, 1876) refered to any type of food storage as "putting up" e.g. putting up jam, putting up beans. But to her canning was one process subdivided into waterbath and pressure cooking (her words not mine). In my family we froze fresh corn and peaches, but canned jams, preserves, compotes,vegetables. When we canned meat it was referred to as "potting".

As for canning shellfish and mollusks, I'll have to see what my old Ball Blue Book has to say. My ex-wife and I used to (and we still do when I'm back in Missouri) go carp fishing in the Ozarks and can the carp. She always put a tablespoon of Wish Bone Russian salad dressing in each pint jar. It tastes amazingly like pink salmon when canned that way.

ladyhk13
05-05-2012, 03:01 AM
Ok, well Wish Bone will be off of my list...I don't do salmon.

Sniper-T
05-06-2012, 01:21 AM
huh? Salmon is fantastic. and can quite easily be filleted boneless. have you ever had fresh salmon?

ladyhk13
05-06-2012, 02:41 AM
^I don't like fish much anyway so I really only eat white, mild fish. I love dolphin, sea bass, grouper and snook. Talapia and catfish (that one depends on where it is from and how it's cooked) are also good. Other than that there probably aren't that many others that I will eat or even want to be in a house that's cooking it. Can't even stand the smell!! I am probably the pickiest person when it comes to food.