PDA

View Full Version : Best 3 Pieces of gear you've acquired, and why?

mitunnelrat
04-18-2011, 02:08 AM
Mine are:

My Maxpedition S-type Versipack (http://www.shtfready.com/equipment-basic-supplies/get-home-bags-ghbs-43.html) for every reason I listed in the linked thread, and now the fact that it'll sit lower than a standard pack while I'm riding.

My Morris File Belter. I can't say enough good about Mike's knives. It holds, keeps, and takes an edge well. The high carbon steel throws a ton of sparks for fire building. Its pocket sized if I have to dress "up" and can't have it visible on my belt, which is still a low profile option anyway with its horizontal presentation.

The Surefire E2D. I've handed it to guards at security checkpoints with nary an eyebrow raised. Its bright, light-weight, and capable of knocking an assailant for a loop if you need. Best of all, its billed as a "last ditch impact weapon" by Surefire themselves, so there's no chance of them testifying against you if you use it as such.

Jerry D Young
04-18-2011, 03:33 AM
My game cart, PTR-91, and Remington custom 11-87 shotgun.

Followed closely by my camping gear set, primarily the Mountain Hardwear Trango 3.1 tent and Slumberjack sleep system, and Kifaru packs.

bacpacker
04-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Vasque sundowner hiking boots.
Marmont -5 sleeping bag w/gore tex shell
Pur hiker water purifier

alaska
04-18-2011, 02:39 PM
danner boots
SOG tomahawk
Katadyne water filter

all 3 items give me a warm fuzzy feeling

Fatty
04-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Tent, camelback, bob.

cwconnertx
04-19-2011, 02:41 AM
I'm going to second the maxpedition versipack S, it is my every day carry.

My second choice is also easy, Glock 19.

Third choice is somewhat more difficult, but I think I will go with Leatherman surge.

LUNCHBOX
04-19-2011, 04:14 AM
I am not going to list any item I paid for (its easy to say how important something is if you bought it) I am going to list three things that I received for free.....I was given---

Blastmatch (gift from kids, awesome)
Wal-mart hand saw (came with a purchase at a flea market)
Gerber Suspension Multi-tool (gift from misses-done deal)

godisnum1
04-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Ruger All-Weather Mini-14
Katadyn Pocket
Kelty Redwing 3100 (All Black)

Bran <><

mitunnelrat
06-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Figured it might be fun to revisit this one.

My major change is in eyewear. I must live hard or something, because I trashed out my prescription eyeglasses. Bad.

Broken frame and lenses-that-look-like-they-took-a-round-of-birdshot bad.

Anyway, I hit on an option that saved on up front cost since I was still planning on getting to TN then (it will add up eventually, but eye pro is worth it imo), and should weather my lifestyle a lot better: Oakley's SI M Frame 2.0 Strike Array and a set of complimentary contacts with my eye exam.

The versatility of the M Frame has me impressed. The array came with a clear lens, a gray lens, the frame, a hard case, soft carry bag, head strap, and an antifog solution. The equivalent in RX eye wear would have cost me somewhere between $200 and $500+. I found these on ebay for $90, and they retail for $160-$190. Also, I wouldn't have been able to get ANSI rated lenses in anything other than clear - unlike the gray lens in the array.

Since I only use one eye, the ballistic and ANSI ratings were much of what drove my choice. As stated, I can get rough on glasses, and these should be equal to the task. The wrap around protection is another nice feature here.

Another advantage is I can get other lenses as time goes on. Amber for shooting, and most notably, prescription lenses. I can even get the prescription in a different lens style than the non-prescription if I want. The Hybrid lens looks good for this.

Finally, they're also designed for helmet and NV compatibility. I don't run around with a kevlar strapped on, but it'll be nice with my motorcyle helmet. I don't have NV yet either, but its one less integration issue I'll have when I do get some.

ElevenBravo
06-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Ive got way more than 3 items that make me warm and fuzzy inside, Ive gone through great length in research and trying different things to get JUST THE RIGHT thing, whatever that "thing" is... so Ill pick 3 at random:

Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter... cause sleeping on the ground sucks, and bugs suck equally

Hill People Gear Kit Bag - Cause I just want my gun when I go out

Food grade buckets from Lowes - Storing canned goods right now, also first aid gear, comfort items, etc. etc. but Ill be doing some mylar soon. I can stack, store and move them around in the basement as I see fit... and if I do have to get the hell out of dodge, I can just put them on the BOT and wave bye bye.

EB

David Armstrong
06-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Don't really know if it qualifies as "gear" but hands-down the best purchase has been our whole-house generator. There is something extremely satisfying when the electricity goes out and after 10 seconds you hear the "vroom" and everything goes back to just the way it was. Number 2 would be my original Leatherman tool. I've used it hundreds, perhaps thousands of times in all sorts of situations and it has always come throguh for me. Third I'd probably go with my S&W Airweight J-frame in various versions. Haven't had to use it but it has given me a feeling of peace and confidence many times.

Stormfeather
06-03-2013, 01:13 AM
1- Masters of Defense CQD Mk I Knife, Duane Dieter Design. Hell of a knife, Ive owned 4 in my lifetime, they either get lost in IED blasts, or on Patrol. Blackhawk Inc took over MOD, and quality took a serious hit after that. I had to search for 7 months before I could find another one to replace the last one I lost. Some people may think its crazy to spend $500-$600 on a pocketknife, but I have to disagree, quality gear is quality gear, and to me thats all that matters.

2- Remington Model 11, I call her Big Bertha. Got her at a hardware store here locally for $100, cracked stock, barrel cut down to 18.25". I got another stock for her, and she runs like a crackhead from the cops, Eats whatever I throw in her, and comes back for more. Shes my go to girl when things are dicey close range.

3- Fox Books survival series. I cant get enough of these books! Ive read them, re-read them, and am currently reading them again. Knowledge is power folks, you can have all the gear queer cool guy stuff, but if you dont know how to apply non-gear related survival skills into your prepping, you arent going to last.

realist
06-03-2013, 03:00 AM
Storm is that Fox or Foxfire? If it is fox could you forward a link. Thanks

Stormfeather
06-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Its the foxfire series. I have all 12 of the original series and literally am trying to memorize them!

bacpacker
06-03-2013, 06:01 PM
That is an excellent series Stormy. I have a few hard copies and the entire set in PDF somewhere. I need to track down the rest of the series.

ElevenBravo
06-03-2013, 07:09 PM
foxfire series

Yeah buddy, Foxfire is the fer-shizzle of self reliance.

EB

Stormfeather
06-03-2013, 07:36 PM
BacPacker. . .OH WOW, you have it on PDF? Any chance you could look that up and send me a copy? Would love to put it on my SHTF laptop! Maybe we can work out a trade. . . I have Izzy come over and mow your lawn. . .wash your car/truck? :)

mitunnelrat
06-03-2013, 08:05 PM
I still need that series. I think I've got 4 of them on pdf somewhere myself. I'll have to look when I get home. It'd be nice to have the entire series in print and pdf.

ElevenBravo
06-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Foxfire PDF

Google Fu....

EB

Echo2
06-03-2013, 09:51 PM
You can buy a used set of FoxFire books off amazon for about $80...

NVD

custom 22lr with Suppressor/ IR laser

Wolverine Spencer boots

izzyscout21
06-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Maybe we can work out a trade. . . I have Izzy come over and mow your lawn. . .wash your car/truck? :)

I don't think he wants me anywhere near his truck......... last time I was around it, I tossed MTR a Beretta mag........It landed on the hood of the truck.

ElevenBravo
06-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Scratches are character marks.. duh. If he had my truck, he would never notice nor care... :-)

EB

bacpacker
06-04-2013, 01:04 AM
BacPacker. . .OH WOW, you have it on PDF? Any chance you could look that up and send me a copy? Would love to put it on my SHTF laptop! Maybe we can work out a trade. . . I have Izzy come over and mow your lawn. . .wash your car/truck? :)

Stormy after going back thru my files, I only have the first three books on PDF. Here is the link where I found them. Look a little over halfway down the page. Lots of other good titles there as well. I will keep looking, because I was pretty sure I had gotten the full series. They just aren't showing up tonight.

http://alpha411.blogspot.ca/2012/11/100-free-survival-downloads.html

Stormfeather
06-04-2013, 03:41 AM
Google Fu....

EB

Yup, tried that, every link I came across was outdated and/or broken.

Dropy
06-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Hmmm

My dog.
My wife.
My faith and love for God, his son and the spirit with which he guides me. Or does this last count as 3 ?

That is in reverse order of course.

mitunnelrat
06-05-2013, 01:04 AM
I don't think he wants me anywhere near his truck......... last time I was around it, I tossed MTR a Beretta mag........It landed on the hood of the truck.

I'm betting you're still good. I'm the one that fumbled. Still cringe when I think about it.

bacpacker
06-05-2013, 01:25 AM
I'm betting you're still good. I'm the one that fumbled. Still cringe when I think about it.

It's all good guys. I didn't give it a thought and hadn't even thought about it since then till Izzy brought it back up. It was kinda funny though to see the look on your guys faces.
:cool:

Stormfeather
06-05-2013, 01:32 PM
I take it theres a small backstory with the Beretta Mag? :rolleyes:

izzyscout21
06-05-2013, 06:18 PM
I take it theres a small backstory with the Beretta Mag? :rolleyes:

Not really. AT the time, I didn't have one, so I was giving MTR a freebie.

Evolver
06-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Ceramic water filter.
Solar Oven.
Firearm.

Are our top three in order. why?... Because! :)

AAONMS
06-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Can I count my Jeep and everything I routinely carry in it as one item :)
Sure hope I can as it is a mobile shelter that has food and self-defense as well as cash, basic tools, and recovery gear.
Am just getting back into hiking/camping and can see where some of that gear will serve more than one use.
So far, think my SAWYER All-In-One Filter to make clean drinking water has to be on the list.

2die4
06-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Non gun best 3 are:

My Rush 24
Katadyn portable filter
Gerber Prodigy

A good bag and knife are a must have

Because of my living arrangements I can't really store water so having a filter that can purify hundreds of gallons of H2O saves on space.

The Stig
06-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Ok...I've avoided this thread for three years....mostly because I could never really describe something as "the best".

As a card carrying, and certified, gear-queer, I am also adding new toys the the bin so today's "best" is quickly yesterdays "that was sorta cool but...."

So here goes....

1) Personal protection: Blue Force Gear LMAC plate carrier

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/3A68E18B-C389-40E7-8549-F13AA538A1D1-36744-00001AA1A548293A_zps3f5efa03.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/3A68E18B-C389-40E7-8549-F13AA538A1D1-36744-00001AA1A548293A_zps3f5efa03.jpg.html)

Simple, light, flexible, just enough room to mount needed items without so much that you turn into GI JOE.

2) Force multiplier: Aimpoint T1 red dot

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-03-11_17-27-51_266.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/2012-03-11_17-27-51_266.jpg.html)

Insane battery life, crazy rugged, very accurate and lightweight makes this a personal favorite. Plop it on a LaRue mount and it's not moving.

Toss a 3x magnifier in a flip-to-side mount for bonus points.

3) All around handy tool: a spade shovel

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/049206/049206159273lg.jpg

There's so many things you can use this lowly tool for it's amazing. From digging a latrine to smashing a zombie to cooking an egg this guy can do it. This isn't my actual spade but I use mine constantly for all sorts of outside chores.

Not sexy but I think between this, a good pair of loppers, a decent handsaw and a drill press I can do about anything.

mitunnelrat
01-20-2014, 01:01 AM
Thought I might trot this one out again since I saw it while looking for something else. Any updates?

Caveman Survival
01-20-2014, 03:12 PM
As somebody already stated I can't qualify a best piece of gear because everytime I pick something up it would bump yesterday's purchase lower on the totem pole...

If I could qualify knowledge (or ready access to knowledge) as gear I would have to take up my top 3 spots with it. I scavenge the interwebs, bookstores and libraries daily for articles and homesteading/pioneer living content. If I don't purchase it (even if I do and it's too large to realistically carry in a bob) I will retype it into smaller print and bind my own books. I have a whole tote box filled this way with hundreds of recipes, survival tips, how to's, diy's, homesteading and farming info, etc. it's essentially a complete library condensed down into a 40-50 lbs treasure chest of knowledge. It's by far the best thing I have acquired over the years that can be brought with me all but the most dire of circumstances

cwconnertx
01-20-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm going to second the maxpedition versipack S, it is my every day carry.

My second choice is also easy, Glock 19.

Third choice is somewhat more difficult, but I think I will go with Leatherman surge.

So to review almost two years later, as much as I loved the versipack, I wanted to carry a little more and ended up switching to the kodiak gearslinger, also s type, and love it just as much, but its a little easier to carry a little more weight.

I have a lot of things that I've used a lot more lately, so it is harder to say which items are my favorites, but the glock 19 and surge are still go to items.

ElevenBravo
01-20-2014, 10:00 PM
Cant come up with much, but recently:

Tapco mags for my AK, both 30 & 20 rnds, have worked FLAWLESSLY!

I just bot a chest rig for AK mags from Blackhawk
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41e5KTTfKPL._SY300_.jpg
http://www.botach.com/products/blackhawk-55cp04ct-chest-pouches-for-ak-47.html
Up until now, I had no way to carry mags... This one fits eight AK mags with full cover pouches, which I like..
plus two mag pouches on either side for pistol mags..

Thats about all for now... Ive got my eyes on a few other things, I want to adapt a set of Wouxon radios to
patch into electronic shooter's muffs, so you can hear "normal" and radio traffic, but ambient sound shut down
on report... also fix wiring to lapel mic so the mic still works, but no sound out the speaker.... (Im an electronics hobbyist)

EB

ak474u
01-21-2014, 03:53 AM
Cant come up with much, but recently:

Tapco mags for my AK, both 30 & 20 rnds, have worked FLAWLESSLY!

I just bot a chest rig for AK mags from Blackhawk
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41e5KTTfKPL._SY300_.jpg
http://www.botach.com/products/blackhawk-55cp04ct-chest-pouches-for-ak-47.html
Up until now, I had no way to carry mags... This one fits eight AK mags with full cover pouches, which I like..
plus two mag pouches on either side for pistol mags..

Thats about all for now... Ive got my eyes on a few other things, I want to adapt a set of Wouxon radios to
patch into electronic shooter's muffs, so you can hear "normal" and radio traffic, but ambient sound shut down
on report... also fix wiring to lapel mic so the mic still works, but no sound out the speaker.... (Im an electronics hobbyist)

EB

I've got a set of Howard Leight impact pro muffs that came with a jack and cables. That sounds like a cool idea.

Fidel MD
01-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Klein 10-in-1 screwdriver. http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/multi-bit-interchangeable-screwdriversnut-drivers/heavy-duty-multi-bit-screwdrivernut-driver

Leatherman Micra http://www.leatherman.com/20.html#prefn1=sizecategory&prefv1=Keychain-Size&start=2

Littmann electronic stethoscope http://www.littmann.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Littmann/stethoscope/stethoscope-catalog/catalog/~/3M-Littmann-Electronic-Stethoscope-Model-3200-Navy-Blue-Tube-27-inch-3200NB?N=5927679+5932256+4294958545&rt=d

Cause I use these daily, or at least many times a week.

mitunnelrat
01-28-2014, 05:10 AM
So to review almost two years later, as much as I loved the versipack, I wanted to carry a little more and ended up switching to the kodiak gearslinger, also s type, and love it just as much, but its a little easier to carry a little more weight.

I have a lot of things that I've used a lot more lately, so it is harder to say which items are my favorites, but the glock 19 and surge are still go to items.

I've set mine to the side as well. Not for something bigger, but because I was able to transfer most of its components, their equivalents, or substitutes to my pockets, and I dont ever forget those at home. ;) Not to mention the fact it was getting cumbersome carrying it and my school bag everywhere I was going. As much as I love the versipack I'd really like something with better integration capabilities.

Possom
01-28-2014, 01:53 PM
I have thought about this a lot before responding. I think my top three pieces of gear would be my faith in God to help carry me through the hard times in life and celebrate with me during the good, all the knowledge and books I have picked up over the years, and my family which help me do things I could never accomplish on my own.

cwconnertx
01-30-2014, 01:58 AM
I've set mine to the side as well. Not for something bigger, but because I was able to transfer most of its components, their equivalents, or substitutes to my pockets, and I dont ever forget those at home. ;) Not to mention the fact it was getting cumbersome carrying it and my school bag everywhere I was going. As much as I love the versipack I'd really like something with better integration capabilities.

Mine was my school/work bag, I suppose that is why I needed something larger. Although I have streamlined some gear, my tablet replaced my laptop, and my newest tablet and phone use the same charger now.

bourneshooter
02-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Each year, I do this eval on some forum. It's always changing, and its difficult.

For the 2013 year of gear, I'd list the following three items, in order based on use:

1. Surefire X300 Ultra.
2. Phokus Hoplite (Won in a giveaway).
3. Crye Precision JPC

There are a few other things I acquired but I don't use them as much and find as useful.

oif0709
02-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Top three is a tough one since I love all my gear. I'd have to place my 5.11 covrt bag on the list, it has all the organization of the rush series but with a more every day student look. Perfect to keep as a get home bag without looking military with camo and molle.

My Eberlestock g4 operator is quite an amazing pack. Tons of organization and great customer service. Well made and has a rifke scabbard.

I love my pig plate Carrier, it's lightweight and provides great mobility, I can fit a chest rig over it, but I better place my mountain hardwear hunker tent at number 3.

The tent is a 4 season 1 man tent, not obnoxiously colored like much of the outdoor gear and goes up easy. I have yet to field it though.

Sniper-T
02-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Three things that I am never without... ever!
1. Pocketknife
2. Bic lighter
3. Sunglasses.

Sniper-T
03-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Three things that I am never without... ever!
1. Pocketknife
2. Bic lighter
3. Sunglasses.

A week or so ago, I somehow managed to lose my knife :eek:

Sucks hard. It was the great one I got from Domeguy a couple years ago. I've been trying to fill it's shoes with different backups I have kicking around, but it's just not the same. Heading to Cabelas tomorrow to buy a new one!

bacpacker
03-04-2015, 04:56 PM
What kinda knife was it?

Losing your regular knife sucks, I tend to stick with the same one for EDC forever.

jamesneuen
03-04-2015, 08:27 PM
I agree, Sadly though I don't use my favorite knife as an EDC because it's too nice! lol. I use one that work bought for me that I don't even really like.

Sniper-T
03-04-2015, 10:15 PM
I don't even remember the name of it. If it had one ??? it was nothing fancy, but it fit my hand perfectly, and held a nice edge. About the only two criteria that I have.

I have a couple of nice ones that rarely leave the safe! One hasn't even cleaned an animal yet! :eek:

robsdak
03-05-2015, 09:17 PM
I don't even remember the name of it. If it had one ??? it was nothing fancy, but it fit my hand perfectly, and held a nice edge. About the only two criteria that I have.

I have a couple of nice ones that rarely leave the safe! One hasn't even cleaned an animal yet! :eek:

shame on you! knives are meant to be used.

i have a few. from $27 - $325 and they all make it through the rotation.

as for favorite 3 pieces of gear? i would have to i don't have any.

3 that i couldn't do with out... with these 3 i get by until i 'find' what else i want.

knife
ferro rod
paracord

bacpacker
03-05-2015, 11:36 PM
My knives are all under $100. My Beckers are the highest cost I can think of and they were under $70. I have several I rarely use because they just don't feel as good under use as I thought they would. Most of the rest, other than my work EDC, I rotate around kinda regular. I don't carry sheath knives very often. May be something I should think about doing, kinda like carrying a pistol. Get a better feel for the weight and how they handle.

jamesneuen
03-06-2015, 12:49 AM
I worry about carrying a fixed blade. almost all of mine are vertical sheath style and are rather obvious. I can just see somebody freaking out about it in public.

bacpacker
03-06-2015, 01:38 AM
Unless I'm in the woods or outside working I. Ant recall the last time I had a fixed blade on in Public. I do see folks carrying fixed blades at times though. It just don't seem very grey to me.

Sniper-T
03-06-2015, 01:58 AM
during hunting season I add one fixed blade or another to my belt and it stays there for the duration. With my camo jacket and hat, no one has ever given me grief. Not even if it is my moose knife.

helomech
03-06-2015, 02:50 AM
My every day knife is a kershaw assist opening. I love it, I think it cost less than 40 bucks.

Here is my do everything knife. It is thick and strong as hell. A friend made it for me.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/hunting/100_2288.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/hunting/100_2288.jpg.html)

Here is my favorite skinner.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/hunting/100_2314_zpsbtztljtl.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/hunting/100_2314_zpsbtztljtl.jpg.html)

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/hunting/100_2317_zps2gkazmav.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/hunting/100_2317_zps2gkazmav.jpg.html)

Domeguy
03-06-2015, 03:38 AM
The 3 items I feel I could depend on to save my life if needed that I feel in my heart are 100% dependable are my Glock 26, as it is small, concealable, and dependable, the Randall Made knife I inherited from my father, who carried it strapped to his leg on every B-52 flight he ever made while defending his country against the Russian menace, and my reading glasses, as I can't see a damn thing without them. Without them, everything else is pointless.

Sniper-T
03-06-2015, 11:26 AM
I hope you have more than a few pairs of glasses for backups then... like a bunch!

Helo, that's a gorgeous little skinner! I like that a lot!

spirit
05-02-2015, 03:11 AM
A new 1 man tent, a new army surplus backpack, and a used .38 revolver as a backup.

ElevenBravo
05-02-2015, 03:50 AM
A .38 may not be today's most sought after weapon, but Ill be dammed if I want to get shot by one! If the pistol can handle it, run +P ammo.

At least you didnt buy a .22 for self defense!!!

EB

Sniper-T
05-02-2015, 09:44 PM
.38... .22... .380... .32... All these guns have been used for self defence for many years, by everyone. If I had a choice, I would rather not be shot with anything, but if I'm the one shooting, I would rather be shooting a .22 than swinging a stick, or poking with a blade.

I do see the attributes of 9mm, 40, 44, 45, 357, 500, 700 nitro, etc.... but even a simple .22 is better than nothing... and I seem to recall reading somewhere the weapon of choice by assassins for close quarters wet work.

Caliber be damned, I would much rather face an opponent with a .50 desert eagle, that is shaking and not comfortable with it, than a grizzled old fucker with a .22 that points unwaveringly at my left eye.

imo

helomech
05-02-2015, 10:46 PM
.38... .22... .380... .32... All these guns have been used for self defence for many years, by everyone. If I had a choice, I would rather not be shot with anything, but if I'm the one shooting, I would rather be shooting a .22 than swinging a stick, or poking with a blade.

I do see the attributes of 9mm, 40, 44, 45, 357, 500, 700 nitro, etc.... but even a simple .22 is better than nothing... and I seem to recall reading somewhere the weapon of choice by assassins for close quarters wet work.

Caliber be damned, I would much rather face an opponent with a .50 desert eagle, that is shaking and not comfortable with it, than a grizzled old fucker with a .22 that points unwaveringly at my left eye.

imo

Yeah, I really hate caliber arguments. I would feel just fine carrying a 22lr in all but very dangerous situations. One day I will fine a PMR30. 30 rounds of 22 mag will make me feel just fine.

ElevenBravo
05-02-2015, 10:56 PM
I would much rather face an opponent with a .50 desert eagle, that is shaking and not comfortable with it, than a grizzled old fucker with a .22 that points unwaveringly at my left eye.

Akin to the old saying I really like...
Id rather be a sheep in an army lead by a wolf, than be a wolf in an army led by a sheep.

EB

mitunnelrat
05-12-2015, 03:15 AM
I've got a new update. My three new best are my Gerber utility knife, my headlamp, and my OSOE low pro edc belt. These are the three I get the absolute most practical use out of. Daily on two, regularly with the head lamp.

Sniper-T
05-12-2015, 05:09 PM
A week or so ago, I somehow managed to lose my knife :eek:

Sucks hard. It was the great one I got from Domeguy a couple years ago. I've been trying to fill it's shoes with different backups I have kicking around, but it's just not the same. Heading to Cabelas tomorrow to buy a new one!

Woot! About a week or so ago, I found it hiding under the front step! For the life of me I can't think of how it got there. I figure I musta put it down and one of the cats tried to hide it on me!

lil' bastards!
;)

mitunnelrat
05-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Glad you found it, T. A favored knife is hard to replace. But, the Gerber I just so recently spoke of? Not so much. They cut their own blades and standard razors don't fit as precisely. The lock up isnt as tight. It seems to only be a small aggravation, really, but its enough. Its getting replaced with another manufacturer of the same style.

Sniper-T
05-13-2015, 02:59 AM
will take some pics. as innocuous as it seems, it truly is an awesome knife. fits my hand PERFECTLY!!!!

BTW... THANKS AGAIN!!! Domeguy! I really, Really REALLY love this thing!!!

bourneshooter
05-16-2015, 07:31 PM
For the year:

Rogue Fitness Squat Rack
Rogue Fitness Ohio Bar
Rogue Fitness Weight Set

Fitness/Strong is so much more important than many other things. Longer performance at a high level, being able to get to the fight, etc.

mitunnelrat
05-17-2015, 09:52 PM
I agree, and I'm jealous. The only aspect of my living circumstances I don't like is the lack of space for such equipment. I had to talk my dad into an outbuilding for me, and that's not gonna happen any time soon.

bourneshooter
05-17-2015, 11:38 PM
I also have got a set of Kettlebells, Pullup bar, Rope for rope climbs (or you can set it on the ground around something heavy and do the "duelling ropes") and some sandbags. Some of that can be improvised and stored in a small space then you can improvise heavy lifting.

Nothing prepares you for hard work, like hard work.

mitunnelrat
05-18-2015, 02:40 AM
Lol. I definitely do hard work at least. I get regular squats, deadlifts, and farmers walks in with the dirt, mulch, rock I move. Or tools working with my dad. Presses of building Kettlebells I need, but I have some free weights. I do pullups now at work off my lockups door frame. I've got one of those ab wheels, and as gimmicky as it seems it is actually damned effective. I never thought to get a dueling rope.

My biggest issue is time. I already get up at 4 am so I have time to exercise, do dry fire, and commune with my God. Having more equipment at home would certainly make things easier. Until then its improv at home or trek to the gym.

bourneshooter
05-18-2015, 05:13 AM
Having my workout equipment in my buddy's garage makes it pretty much at home.

Think of ways to do "work" projects to workout. Sounds like your doing that with pull ups already. I have seen things like the top of the hour 10 pullups/pushups/burpees/squats programs.

I would do a workout at the end of a dayshift, start of a graveyard shift and then during the 12 hour shift 3 times I'd do some WOD of say 3 rounds of 20 lunges, 20 squats, 20 incline pushups (bumper of a car).

I really only dry practice once a week on a day off. Keeping my body fit to fight is very important and has helped with sustaining my shooting skills.

Other gear purchases I've made have been essential in the gear market, but only because I'm in good enough shape to make use of them.

bourneshooter
05-23-2015, 03:29 PM
Lol. I definitely do hard work at least. I get regular squats, deadlifts, and farmers walks in with the dirt, mulch, rock I move. Or tools working with my dad. Presses of building Kettlebells I need, but I have some free weights. I do pullups now at work off my lockups door frame. I've got one of those ab wheels, and as gimmicky as it seems it is actually damned effective. I never thought to get a dueling rope.

My biggest issue is time. I already get up at 4 am so I have time to exercise, do dry fire, and commune with my God. Having more equipment at home would certainly make things easier. Until then its improv at home or trek to the gym.

Thinking how you can use your daily work routine for fitness is smart. I was in a post Hurricane disaster area for work in 2008 (E Texas) and we were staying at a trashed Air Nat Guard base. We used the debris for fitness and the airfield for running. Run a lap, do a debris pickup and throw over shoulder for a few reps then run a lap then do pull ups, etc.

Stg1swret
05-21-2016, 02:17 AM
Knowledge, knowledge and the skills to use it.

FLPrepper
08-03-2016, 03:06 PM
I have a Goal Zero Yeti 400 for portable power, two of their lighthouse lanterns that produce 250 lumens each (and are charged by the Yeti) and a Wise 72 hour food kit for me and the wife. The solar items are great for home, but I can take them anywhere and charge just about every electronic device I've got including my emergency radio. Not the prepper supplies of all time for everyone - I just think the solar stuff is cool and the food bucket is perfect if you need to bolt quickly or even if you are just camping.