PDA

View Full Version : "Bug Out Bags" Defined

izzyscout21
04-29-2012, 12:28 AM
We all have our "BOB"s. Some of us have more, some have less. It really all comes down to what we have decided to prep for.

I have heard BOBs called many things. Upon a little research, it is my opinion that there are several different types of bags.

There are different types of Bug Out Bags, differing in their size and contents as well as their intended purpose. What they have in common is that they are portable aides to survival, designed to assist their user in surviving and/or escaping from a survival situation. Let's break it down a little.

1. EDC kit

The EDC or Every Day Carry kit consists of the critical items that you keep on your person at all times. For most folks, it consists of wallet, knife, keys, flashlight, etc. Some choose to add a firearm to their EDC kit.

2. 72 hour BOB

This is what is most commonly meant by the term "Bug-Out Bag". Borrowing from the military idea of the "3 day assault pack", It is designed to sustain one person for three days, on the move.

3. The Get Home Bag

The GHB is a BOB intended to get the user from wherever he or she happens to be when disaster strikes, back to his or her home, where (presumably) the rest of his or her survival preparations are stored. From there, he or she can then decide whether to bug-in/bunker, or bug out. The GHB is generally smaller and lighter than a 72 hour BOB, as it is only useful if it is light and handy enough to actually carry every day.

4. Go Bag

A Go bag is intended to support its owner while getting from point A to point B, typically a Bug Out Location (BOL). The contents and size of the bag will be determined by the time, distance, and obstacles that one expects to encounter during their bug out.

5. INCH Bag

The "I'm Never Coming Home" (INCH) variant is designed to support the life of its owner indefinitely as opposed to other BOBs which are oriented torward sustaining life for a fixed length of time and perhaps an advantage if something unexpected happens. These bags tend to be much larger and contain a wider array of tools and supplies, they are also much heavier.

Hope this helps.

Izzy

Kutter-0311
04-30-2012, 10:55 PM
This is a great outline of common types, Izzy!

Sniper-T
05-01-2012, 12:10 AM
F...me

once again, this past weekend we were on eveac notice because of a local brush/bush fire.. less than a mile from my house!!!

I am scrambling to finalize my fire suppression systems, but am fighting an uphill battle.. :roll:

even though she's gone for a week, I think she's starting to get on board, with a bob. I do have a couple small ones set up.... but if a wildfire tears though, we're ill equipt after evac. *aside... I would defend my property to my death, but only after I made sure she was out with anything pertinent.

Seriously, I dont know if you people have ever seen a grass/brush/bush fire rage, but I have fought them, I have seen their speed, and it REALLY isnt a good thing.

IF and when the next one tears through my property, I will be the one standing chest deep in my pond, with both fire pumps screaming, fighting to my death to save everthing I have!!!
If only I could sacrifice my neighbours who think it is ok to burn their fields during this drought...

*sigh*

ladyhk13
05-01-2012, 04:54 AM
That really sucks man. Isn't there some kind of ban on burning in your area? My MIL lives in Nevada and they deal with them all the time...it's horrible. Good luck and I hope that you and your property makes it through safely.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-01-2012, 04:59 AM
F...me

once again, this past weekend we were on eveac notice because of a local brush/bush fire.. less than a mile from my house!!!

I am scrambling to finalize my fire suppression systems, but am fighting an uphill battle.. :roll:

even though she's gone for a week, I think she's starting to get on board, with a bob. I do have a couple small ones set up.... but if a wildfire tears though, we're ill equipt after evac. *aside... I would defend my property to my death, but only after I made sure she was out with anything pertinent.

Seriously, I dont know if you people have ever seen a grass/brush/bush fire rage, but I have fought them, I have seen their speed, and it REALLY isnt a good thing.

IF and when the next one tears through my property, I will be the one standing chest deep in my pond, with both fire pumps screaming, fighting to my death to save everthing I have!!!
If only I could sacrifice my neighbours who think it is ok to burn their fields during this drought...

*sigh*
Damn,
You could move to California, there are some that deserved to be sacrificed to the eternal flame. I'm sure there are plenty of homeowners who agree after their houses were burnt to the ground, then the rains came and the mud slides and then we paid higher premiums so they could build right back in the same place so it could happen 2 years later.

No seriously, that sucks, stupid people. I guess it's time for the annual stupid people training seminar. But do you think it'll do much good? Some yes, some no. Idiots. Hunker down brother and be safe.

Be safe..............the night is your friend

The Stig
05-01-2012, 11:10 AM

*sigh*

Whats that? People are generally retarded?

Couldn't be....

(Sorry to hear about your issues bud....)

Grumpy Old Man
05-01-2012, 04:52 PM
F...me

*sigh*

Having lived in the mountain west most of my adult life I know exactly what you are talking about. Out here in Kommiefornicastan we have idiots that take the spark suppression of of their OHVs and are responsible for many of the brushfires. There are also pyros in the USFS that set them intentionally (happened in CO twice) and "controlled" burns that get out of control and waste a lot of acres based on a bureaucrat's decision.

BTW, it is only a narrow band of the coast (about 35 miles inland) that are the ones building on the slopes, using poor building practices. The rest of the state is agrarian and very conservative. Please don't lump me and Realist and FoulBall in with those looters.

Sniper-T
05-01-2012, 05:15 PM
yeah, there is a burn ban on most of the province right now, This latest guy decided to burn his ditch in a 40 mph wind(gusting to 60), IDIOT! and there is some stupid by law, that limits the fine he can get to a maximum of $500.00

I'm sure that'll make the two people that lost their homes feel much better

Grumpy Old Man
05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
yeah, there is a burn ban on most of the province right now, This latest guy decided to burn his ditch in a 40 mph wind(gusting to 60), IDIOT! and there is some stupid by law, that limits the fine he can get to a maximum of $500.00

I'm sure that'll make the two people that lost their homes feel much better

Well, at least they've made stupid somewhat illegal. Now if they can get it to be immediately, and VERY, painful!

mitunnelrat
05-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Sorry Sniper, I would hate to be in your shoes with that, and I don't want to trivialize it, but I have something of an observation question on the definitions. Its kinda struck me lately all of the definitions - as seen in 2, 3, and 4 here, are all the same bag under different names, and can cause a lot of redundancy in kits that doesn't need to be, which could also complicate things and overwhelm newcoming preppers.

The Stig
05-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Sorry Sniper, I would hate to be in your shoes with that, and I don't want to trivialize it, but I have something of an observation question on the definitions. Its kinda struck me lately all of the definitions - as seen in 2, 3, and 4 here, are all the same bag under different names, and can cause a lot of redundancy in kits that doesn't need to be, which could also complicate things and overwhelm newcoming preppers.

Excellent point.

izzyscout21
05-02-2012, 04:19 AM
I grouped them like that solely due to the fact that a milion different places and people call them different thigns. when I stopped to understand what the context was, folks were talking about the same type bag, intended for different roles, different contents, missions, etc....etc.... hence, the groupings I put them in. I agree that they can be multi role and that there is a lot of crossover.

Kodiak
05-02-2012, 08:40 AM

I think most people who have a BoB tend to lean towards the 72 hr bag, whether it be for getting them home or for when its time to run out the back door for the woods.

I do however like Izzy's break down of the bags, it gives a person different ideas on how to prepare a BoB to fit a particular need.

The only bag that i do not have prepared is the INCH bag, i'm having a hard time finding a bag big enough to fit ALL of my preps in ;)

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-02-2012, 01:10 PM
I guess one must have "BOC" Bug Out Closet, where you can have all your bags lined up. here you can just pick the one you feel is right for the time you are walking out the door. The foyer, yes the foyer closet. "HONEY! I'M TAKING ALL THE COATS OUT OF THE FOYER CLOSET AND THROWING THEM IN THE ATTIC!" Sounded good, I keep one in each vehicle, and one in the "office" (more an assault pack) and have 3 "cave" packs that are usually at the ready. My BOB's in the vehicles are primarily 1st aid, fire, water, change of clothes and ammo. I figure that is sufficient for three or more days. Or to help someone in need in case of an accident.

Be safe.............the night is your friend

realist
05-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Sniper isn't there a way of putting in a fire break for your place. I am looking at doing that for my place up in the hills when I get it built. The problem is it is at the end of a road so if a fire starts I have no where to go. I will be clearing an area of all vegetation to make it survivable.

Sniper-T
05-02-2012, 05:02 PM
I would need to clear cut a swath all around me at least 50' wide then kill the soil so nothing could grow. and even at that, it may or may not work. A hot fire can cause trees to 'crown' where they are engulfed in an intense fireball which actually shoots the top of the tree off and into the air (burning) depending on the wind, they can land 1/2 mile or more away

So, I'll keep buying pumps and hoses, and make sure that they're all gassed up and ready. I have a cleared space all around my house, that I hope will help as well

realist
05-02-2012, 06:46 PM
I know it is a lot of work but what I have done is gone in a cleared a bunch of the under brush so that the fire will not climb up to the tops of the trees. I hope that this will slow things down.

If you want a really low tech way of getting rid of your brush and cutting down on your fire danger consider getting some goats. They will really clear an area. I am not living at my cabin so I can't have them. I would have never believed how much they can clear had my sister not go some. One other thing is that when they clear the underbrush you then have a clear field of fire........

Grumpy Old Man
05-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Not to mention that if they are Boers they can provide a lot of meat. I knew Sniper was wondering what they taste like, sooo........ goat!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Not to mention that if they are Boers they can provide a lot of meat. I knew Sniper was wondering what they taste like, sooo........ goat!

His wife will be happy to know that they don't stink either, not like the other breeds. My wife has tried to convince me to get some but I haven't seen any before after proof or anything that convinces me, only negative things like goats dancing on my tractors. I've eaten goat and it's fine. But I have other choices, that just doesn't rank high on my list.

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Sniper-T
05-03-2012, 03:15 AM
yeah, they clean up brush well, but everything else too. given time, they will level a forest (not unlike cattle); but, unlike cattle they need a heck of a lot more than a couple rails for a fence. They seem to take pride in getting out of anything or on top of everything. I'm still working on the chicken tractor thing, trying to sell her on the goodness of fresh eggs/meat; but I do spend time away from home during the summer, and it would fall to her to watch, water, feed, defend, our critters, and that's where my battle is lost. SHTF, and I am home always, np, I could get started in just about anything from local farmers, and my chores would be establishe, but now, it just isn't feasible. Livestock just isn't in the cards at this point. :(

and I've eaten goat too, and quite enjoy it. It is a food staple in Greece.

And back on topic... after she gets back... one day out of the blue, I'm going to surprise her and take an emergency call, giving us 5 minutes to evac. A realistic scenario right now. we'll see how she does... and if I can use that to inspire her into setting up her own BOB.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-03-2012, 05:35 AM
yeah, they clean up brush well, but everything else too. given time, they will level a forest (not unlike cattle); but, unlike cattle they need a heck of a lot more than a couple rails for a fence. They seem to take pride in getting out of anything or on top of everything. I'm still working on the chicken tractor thing, trying to sell her on the goodness of fresh eggs/meat; but I do spend time away from home during the summer, and it would fall to her to watch, water, feed, defend, our critters, and that's where my battle is lost. SHTF, and I am home always, np, I could get started in just about anything from local farmers, and my chores would be establishe, but now, it just isn't feasible. Livestock just isn't in the cards at this point. :(

and I've eaten goat too, and quite enjoy it. It is a food staple in Greece.

And back on topic... after she gets back... one day out of the blue, I'm going to surprise her and take an emergency call, giving us 5 minutes to evac. A realistic scenario right now. we'll see how she does... and if I can use that to inspire her into setting up her own BOB.

Hang on I'll give you my # cause I wanna watch the whole thing this is going to be good, the best part's going to be when you get to tell her the truth................but yeah it could work. I would gladly pay for the gas to "OH Canada" to take notes and video, then I'll narrate, you can do the "re-enactment". Sound good?

Sniper-T
05-03-2012, 11:01 AM
works for me BWRR! lol

considering that we've been on notice twice in the last month, it isn't a stretch.

A stretch is what she'll do to my scrotum when she ties my testicles up around my ears.

*shifts uncomfortably*

But it'll be worth it if it opens her eyes about prepping even a little bit more.

I hope...

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-03-2012, 12:40 PM
But sometimes that's what it takes with some people. (The real thing)and that's when it's too late. Pulling a drill on her will get her pissed off but it still might work. "Gut check " I do hope it all works out for you, seriously.

GunnerMax
05-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Due to the ban of firearms and weapons where I work, I dont always have an EDC. But I will have a GHB once I get back. I will make a BOB for my wife, daughter, and myself. The BOB will be more along the lines of a INCH bag as I will need to go from Point "A" to point "B," with the certainty that my apartment will not be there when I get back (proximity to 5 military bases makes it a prime place to get attacked, burned down, or have the gangbangers take over the neighborhood)

My fighting load will be able to be used as a BOB if needed (why you guys say I like too many magazines.)