PDA

View Full Version : Physical Fitness

The Stig
02-22-2011, 01:22 PM
I got the bright idea in early 2010 to start working out and get in better physical shape. I figured getting winded walking to the mailbox wouldn't cut it if I was in a bad situation.

I started by doing pushups, crunches, curls, etc. Over time I got to where I could do a fair amount but it got boring. I stuck with it a lot longer than I thought I would, however.

I also started cutting back on what I was eating. I made zero effort to eat more healthy, I just cut back on the volume. The weight came off.

Like many people I got out of the rhythm over the holidays. Combined with the hectic nature of moving I really got out of the habit. So when I got down here I joined a gym to force myself to go. For now, it seems to be working.

My routine is nothing fancy. I do 3 or 4 machines, all focused on the upper body. Then I do 30 minutes of the stationary bike, typically at level 9 or 10.

I've been doing it for three weeks and the results are clearly noticeable, both in good an bad ways. Good in that my upper body is starting to look defined and gut is starting to disappear. Bad in that I must have tweaked something in my foot because suddenly I can't put any weight on my left foot/arch. Getting older sucks.

In any event, do you have a work out plan? Are you hardcore or just tinker with it? Are you happy with your physical fitness?

RedJohn
02-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Totally unhappy here. I am fat, out of shape and not doing anything to get better. I am so stressed right now that trying anything will end up in failure. I need to get better in my head first, then cut way down on my food intake. After that I may be able to get some exercise going.

I envy you at this point.

Kodiak
02-22-2011, 02:02 PM
I've been trying to exercise and watch my food intake for the entirety of my life. I'll do good for a month or so then for whatever reason slip into my old eating habits again. The older i get the harder it gets to keep motivated. I think in a few months when it gets warm outside ill start walking the dogs every night. Grant it its not running on a treadmill or anything, but its better than nothing.

I found a good website where you can keep track of your food and calorie intake, Calorie Counter - Free Online Diet Journal (http://www.my-calorie-counter.com). Its free and easy to use, i just started it so we'll see how it goes.

gunslinger80
02-22-2011, 09:38 PM
I must admit counting calories seems kind of girlie to me, but I checked out calorie counter that Kodiak spoke of and I can say that it works better than any thing else I've tried so far. Since Jan. 1st I've lost 30 pounds and have'nt really exercised at all. One day soon I'm gonna be a lean, mean, prepping machine.

LUNCHBOX
02-22-2011, 09:51 PM
I know Kodiak personally and have been doing the calorie thing myself. It does work with very little exercise, although, I am looking forward to it warming up due to having so many outside projects coming up. (I will post some pics very soon in other threads)--I will be using Kodiak this summer like he is my very own stepchild--lol.

RedJohn
02-22-2011, 10:37 PM
I must admit counting calories seems kind of girlie to me, but I checked out calorie counter that Kodiak spoke of and I can say that it works better than any thing else I've tried so far. Since Jan. 1st I've lost 30 pounds and have'nt really exercised at all. One day soon I'm gonna be a lean, mean, prepping machine.

I am so dreaming of losing 30 pounds.

mitunnelrat
02-23-2011, 03:48 AM
I've really slacked off over this winter, since I'm adjusting to a new life and schedule, but I bought the Men's Health Hard Body Plan (http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-Hard-Body-Plan/dp/1579542298) and was seeing some great results following that. I completely changed my diet, and broke parts on my cheap bicycle from riding it so much. My problem now is my fiance cooks too well for me to eat like I was, and since our schedules conflict I've been spending the time I was at the gym next to her ;)

gunbuilder69
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
I can't seem to get back to good no matter hard I try(i don't really try). I did the southbeach diet for 6 weeks and lost an amazing 44lbs,came down with bronchitus,never went back on and gained 35 lbs back.sheesh,I mean I walk about 12 miles every day at work,eat 2 meals a day and smoke about 6 cigs aday. i can run about 300 yards before my heart will explode in my chest and I have an Anuerysm. Though for some strange reason I can still do a shitload of push-ups go figure.
we have our 6th child due in august this year and I promised myself and wifey that I'll get back to what I wieghed when I retired in 04'.
I'm hoping either I get inspired by friends or she forgets lol.

RedJohn
02-23-2011, 02:04 PM
South Beach Diet (http://www.southbeachdiet.com/sbd/publicsite/index.aspx) ?
Does it require to be stateside? Does it require to buy fresh food everyday?
You don't get these answers on the site unless you sign-up it seems.

Deadliestkatch
02-23-2011, 07:21 PM
I used to go to the gym at least 3 to 4 times a week fir years, mostly doing weights, machines & some cardio. But I got so bored of doing this, I was uninspired and needed a change. So I started running, and have kept it up for over a year now. In fact I am doing my first half marathon this weekend!
I have also taken up road cycling and am really getting into that. I think the key is to pick a workout plan that you actually enjoy... This will make you stick with it. As for diet, I try to eat healthy, but do enjoy good food. I just tr to keep cheating to a minimum.

gunbuilder69
02-23-2011, 08:40 PM
The south beach diet is essentially a 3 part diet,the beginning is removing all starches and sugars from the intake.This last from 14 to 21 days,depending on the person,then the slow reintroduction of assorted fruits,vegatables meats etc. for the second week.wk 3 is maint. and excercise. buy the book,it is worth it and it works if you stay on it. One of the things that helps me disperse my 325# I guess is being 6'5".

bacpacker
03-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I guess I like good food tooooo much. Wife is a great cook, who tries to keep me losing wieght. I'm 6-4 280 and really need to drop at least 60lbs. I just don't find the time to exercise. I do work around the property a lot. Just not near enough to stay in shape.
I used to work on a farm and backpack 1-3 times a month and stayed in good shape mostly. I need to find time to get back to long distance hiking/backpacking again. I doesn't bore the crap out of me and it did seem to work for cardio and to keep the weight down.

mitunnelrat
03-08-2011, 04:00 AM
I'm getting back at it more hardcore again because I'm gaining some support and motivation to work law enforcement. Would there be any interest in a "Biggest Loser" thread do you think? Weekly check-ins and accountability, with reports on what exercise and diet was followed, how well it worked (or didn't). Perhaps even the first contest? I'd be willing to throw up a Subway gift card on this, amount tbd... We could open an entry period for a week or two, and run it for 90 days after that.

There's a lot of spin off's we could do on this too. Biggest strength gains, most improved cardio, etc...

x-cop
03-08-2011, 07:43 PM
i hate working out

i hate running

I do a half hour of weight severy day and usually run about 7 miles
i also do the p-90x pretty often

naturally i'm a small fat guy, gotta fight my genes hard

TEOTWAWKI13
03-08-2011, 07:46 PM
I need whatever damn help I can get...

I went from 302 in '05 (got divorced in '06) down to 218 by early 2007. Found wife #2 and got married, I'm now back up to 290. I hate it. It's uncomfortable and I feel horribly. My body comp has changed from the first weight loss, so I don't think I need to get all the way to 218, but I'd like to get under 240 and see how I feel then.

I cut the gym out of my expenses when I lost my really good job last June and haven't been able to pay for another one.

mitunnelrat
03-09-2011, 03:35 AM
I just upped the ante on myself too. I have until the end of July to condition myself for a warrior dash taking place in MI. The linked video will run you right through exactly what that is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98anHWWEd7A&NR=1

Its extreme, and I'm really going to have to push myself at this point, but having a set goal within a relatively short length of time is exactly how I need to work it. Otherwise, my motivation usually flags and I fall back into hibernation mode. Unlike a bear though, I get fat when I do that.

RedJohn
03-09-2011, 08:36 AM
You're a brave man. I need set the flags back myself. I feel like I sunk in a routine and I am having a hard time shaking it out.

The Stig
03-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I need your help boys and girls. I was in a regular routine of working out every morning. Then I had to go back to Ohio for a week for work and spent three days with one of my new guys this week. Already out of the routine and feeling the progress I made slipping away.

Hold me accountable.

RedJohn
03-10-2011, 11:26 PM
You don't want me to help you there. I am no good in that field at this time.

mitunnelrat
03-30-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm looking at another component of physical fitness right now: diet. Specifically, the paleo diet. I'm going to give it a try for at least 30 days, and I'll update with my progress as I go along.

All major dietary components are covered- (i.e. vitamins, fats, protein, fats, carbohydrates, antioxidants and phytosterols etc). This is for the simple reason that it is the only diet that is coded for in our genes- it contains only those foods that were "on the table" during our long evolution, and discards those which were not. Have you ever wondered why almost everybody feels the need to take vitamin supplementsat times, or why so many people feel the need to "detoxify" their system? There are very real reasons for this that you will soon understand.
INTRODUCTION TO THE PALEOLITHIC DIET (http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html)

This could get interesting if its as effective as my friend promises. In some prep circles I could even be labeled a heretic for spurning grains, lol...

The Stig
03-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Glad you reminded me of this. I resumed my gym activities Monday and also resumed limiting what I eat.

Day three and so far so good.

ehughes1488
04-10-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm a Ranger in the army and a typical work out nut. I find the best way to lose wait is to eat more. The more you eat the more your metabolism works, instead of eating 3 big meals a day eat 6-8 small meals every few hours. Though I know this isn't very practical for a lot of people. Right now I however am trying to gain a good 20 lbs of muscle. The gym is good for building muscle but don't forget to do a lot of calisthenics muscle isn't good for when shtf and its unsafe to drive you need to be able to move on foot. 45lbs puts a lot of strain on the shoulders and legs when you've been walking 40 plus miles. Personally I try to at least ruck 12 miles a week with at least 45lbs if not more. Just a few tips from what I have learned along the way.

RedJohn
04-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Welcome here. I spent most of my time in front of my keyboard. If I was to do that I would gain more than what I do right now. My only option is to cut down the intake. Lucky you.

bacpacker
04-10-2011, 07:24 PM
EHughes THANK YOU for your service.
I talked with my Dr about trying to loose weight the last time I saw him and he suggested the same thing. 5-8 small meals will spike your metabilsim and keep it up higher. I have been trying to do that, but I am having a hard time fitting the meals in my schedule. I do try to fit in some larger snack type meals such as a couple of raw veggies or fruit and nuts. Also trying to add a lot of fiber to help me fill fuller so my appetite don't get carried away. I really have to watch my portions, that is far and away my biggest pitfall. That and lack of areobic exercise.

The Stig
04-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Starting working out again just a couple weeks ago. I can already feel the difference and I like it. As much as it blows whale balls to get up at 5:15am to go work out but I feel 100% better the days I do it.

Fatty
04-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I've given up on weight training. If you want to look scary, thats a good way to start. I've been focusing cardio and bodyweight exercises (also the cheapest:) ). I want the ability to endure situations. The less you weigh, the more you can carry without stressing your joints.

The Stig
04-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Same here. Not looking to become Mr. Universe. Just looking to get some tone and increase my cardio stamina.

Not going to survive too many SHTF events if you work up a sweat walking to the fridge.

ehughes1488
04-12-2011, 12:28 PM
My favorite workout program.

Gym Jones - Power, Speed, Endurance, Suffering and Salvation (http://www.gymjones.com)

Very intense but In a month your guaranteed to lose weight and improve health wise, same workout plan the guys from 300 used. The intensity will not only improve weight lifting performance but also speed and endurance for running. Contrary to popular belief doing cardio and abs only is not the best way to lose weight, you also want to do some sort of weight training to give your metabolism the extra boost to lose the extra lbs.

The Stig
05-06-2011, 12:17 PM
So I've continued hitting the gym at least 3 times a week.

Results are really starting to show and I like it. I feel better over all and don't get as winded as quickly when physically exerting myself.

Mostly I've focused on upper body weight machines to get tone and the recumbent bike for cardo work.

alaska
05-07-2011, 02:51 AM
I need to shed 45 lbs. I drank just about every night. tonight it has been 5 weeks since a drop of booze. this helps my high BP. I have lost 5 lbs and about 2 inches. I just now feel like I can excercise w/o croaking. tomorrow the walking routine starts.

RedJohn
05-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I envy you guys, the only thing I've noticed about me is an increase in weight. But I guess that as long as I will be in this God forsaken country I will not have the spirits to start anything serious. Weight loss starts in your head.

The Stig
05-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Sorry to hear its such a drag over there my friend. Wish there was something we could do to cheer it up a bit for you.

bacpacker
05-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Guys, I am so happy for you all. Weight loss is something I really need to do.

Hot Wire
05-11-2011, 12:14 AM
I've been going to the gym for the purpose of being able to handle what comes my way in a SHTF situation as well as just all around health.
I go about 2-3 times a week. I do a combination of free weights, machines weights and calisthenics. The other days I try to run, don't always have the motivation to though. ;)

Idaho Corsair
05-11-2011, 10:36 PM
I normally go in a roller coaster of being in and out of shape.

we all know that it sucks to suck wind after a 15 yard light jog... not exhaused, but winded. Bad juju. Now I'm feeling better and am more capable... and thus safer and more likely to survive in a SHTF scenario.

Recently, an event I thought I was going to (didn't) spurred me to get into shape. I mostly do calisthenics and jogging (mixed with short "up and backs" to get the sprinting muscles going) now.
To give myself a set routine I use the MARSOC "short card"... it's a 20 minute (plus or minus) workout that incorporates only calisthenics... the only "equipment" you need is a pull up bar. Crunches, burpees, pushups, flutter kicks, lunges, etc.
It kicks your ass, and you can work up to do it faster and faster to keep getting benefits out of it.

Twitchy
05-12-2011, 12:08 AM
I envy you guys, the only thing I've noticed about me is an increase in weight. But I guess that as long as I will be in this God forsaken country I will not have the spirits to start anything serious. Weight loss starts in your head.

Its the amazing french food isnt it! ROFL!!

I have started running about 3-4 miles daily now... coupled with the pushups and situps, swimming every other day for 2 hours.... Doing good so far!

jmrdrgz
06-02-2011, 08:26 AM
It seems alot of work outs are upper body and no lower, except for some type of cardio like running. Lower body work out is very beneficial. I am talking about weights when it comes to lower. I've read and experienced that when you work out your lower body, it is like a boost for the upper. It releases more testosterone, which helps for physical work out.

I need to start working out again. Its been a while for me as well. I am no longer looking to build size like I did when I was younger. My focus now is trimming up and endurance. I still believe that working out the lower portion will help facilitate the upper. Also, working out the lower will help for SHTF situations when you need that lower strength to get you out of situations.

Well, Im gonna try to see if I start this Monday, with lower first and the rest throughout the week. Another thing I have learned from experience has been to learn to love that which you hate. For example, I never liked to do abdominals. Well, when I worked out, I would ensure that I would do them everyday, all the way and try to love it. Afterwards, it wasn't so bad and looked towards finishing my workout with abdominals.

At the end, yes its psychological. Pretend you love it and you will at the end.

My focus is around being able to hike long distances, heavy weight (without unnecessary stuff) and gunbuilder69, if you want to go with me let me know.

idahobob
02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
IMHO, here is a good place to start:

one hundred push ups (http://hundredpushups.com/)

and here:

two hundred sit-ups (http://www.twohundredsitups.com/)

and here:

two hundred squats (http://www.twohundredsquats.com/)

and here:

one fifty dips (http://www.onefiftydips.com/)

and here:

twenty five pull ups (http://www.twentyfivepullups.com/)

Now, I do not go to a gym. I live in the boondocks. I have my own set of Oly. weights that I use in the carport, no matter what the temperature.

Walk 5 miles a day, and as soon as the snow clears off at a higher elevation, there is an 18 mile loop that I will be doing every Saturday. Haven't decided yet what equipment to wear and/or take on that one. I'm thinking my ALICE LBE and Mr Glock in a drop holster.

We will see how I progress until summer, when I have some extended FTX goals.

Bob
III

mitunnelrat
05-10-2012, 10:53 PM
and how's it going, bob?

Its getting nicer in my area again, so I figured I'd see where everyone's at with it this year. I'm personally making an effort to do more intensive cardio, did 4 miles of interval training today, as a matter of fact. More walking than jogging for 3 of the 4 miles, but that'll improve as I go.

There's a gym one mile from my house, which I'm using on Monday's (arms/ shoulders), Wednesday's (Butt, thighs, legs), and Friday's (chest, abs, back) I walk or ride my bicycle to it as often as possible. Cardio days are Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I hate them now that I'm forcing myself to "run". I quickly learned things aren't as level as they seem at 50 mph in a car.

I just need to get a heavy bag routine going now, maybe do that on a cardio day.

That's about it, so seriously, how's everyone else doing?

idahobob
05-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Unfortunately, regressed a bit.

Had some old injuries come back to haunt me, laid me up for a while, and now starting light.

My time frame goals are shot to hell, but re-doing is not so bad.

Sometimes it's hard to keep a good attitude when I have an old busted up bod from when I was young and dumb, in the Green Machine.

Just going to keep after it.

Hunting season will be here sooner than later.

Bob
III

mitunnelrat
05-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Sorry to hear injuries have slowed you down. I'm there myself and can relate. Kudos on not using it as an excuse to quit altogether.

Anybody else?

I'm gonna try reworking my exercise schedule today so my cardio workouts don't interfere as much with muscle recovery from the prior day's workout. (i.e. no running the day after I work my legs)

I did learn aerobic kickboxing works with a heavy bag, but I wonder what other disciplines might give the same benefit. I really want to try penjak silat.

Stormfeather
05-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Ok guys, seems to me there is alot of whining bitching, moaning about losing weight, and guess what. Time for a reality check.

If you cant survive because you are overweight and unhealthy, then what the hell are you doing prepping?
The most important prep item you can have, is YOU.
If you have all the preps in the world, and are set up for anything and everything, but cant survive because you are too fat, or too lazy, guess what, in the end, you will become a victim, and all this prepping has been nothing but a waste of time, money, and effort.

Got a $3000 AR system? All duracoated, piston-driven, magpul'ed and ACOG'ed to the max. Its a lean mean death-dealing weapon of the Apocalypse. Great. . . but in a defensive posture, if you cant shoot move, and communicate, then you are going to die. That lean mean death dealing harbinger of the apocalypse just became a prize for someone who was able to shoot, move and communicate. Guess who I am going to shoot first when the time comes to defend myself, the biggest fattest, slowest moving target I can see.
So you dropped 4-5 grand on that sweet ass Barrett 50 cal?. . . too bad you cant lug it a thousand yards to get into a hide position to use it huh? How about stalking with it? Whens the last time anyone here crawled 500 yards WITH gear. What happens if you have to bug out with that sweet sniper system in a hurry? How long and how far can you go before you have to make the decision, drop the rifle because it weighs too much, or get overtaken because your fat ass forgot that that extra 30, 40, 50, 150 pounds of fat rolling around your midsection and fat ass isnt conducive to your survivability?

Having a set style of eating?. . .its really damn hard to change it, I know, from personal experience. I like this much food, this many times a day. Guess what happens to rationing when your body is screaming its wanting food, and theres buckets and buckets of it around? You start eating to where you feel comfortable again. All of a sudden you find out that 180 days of food is now 120 days. Dont get me wrong, I love my steak and eggs for breakfast on weekends. I love Mountain Dew. I love Beer. I love fried chicken. Do I cut this out of my diet? No, but I sure as hell cut down on it. I went from 4-5 20oz Mt Dews a day, to 1 every other day. I know I had to do this if Im going to survive, and in turn help my family survive. My attitude towards taking care of myself is now a force multipler, and I plan on using that to my advantage. I did what it takes, and at some point, you are going to have to come to a conclusion, do what it takes it takes to ensure your survivability, or shut the fuck up and lay down and die.

Married folks. . .Have a family to defend or take care of? Lets look at it bluntly shall we? What happens to them if you fall by the wayside? Will they be able to defend themselves if the occasion calls for it. What if you get injured? Can any given member in your family pull you to safety or can they carry you? If they cant, will they risk their safety for yours? And if they attempt it, and die trying, all because your fat lazy ass refused to prep the most important step beforehand, how do you think you will feel? Lets say you turned a ankle or broke your foot while in contact with a gang of hoodrats, who in your family can carry you? if they cant carry you, or transport you, what do they do? Leave you behind? What do you do? Stay in a dangerous situation and have them move ahead without you, possibly endangering themselves, or staying put with your fat ass and endangering themselves more. At some point, you are going to have to make that call. And while the glorious hollywood ending has you holding off the mongrel horde while your family slips away unnoticed and you go out guns blazing. . . guess what. It doesnt work that way. Usually what happens, is you get overtaken, overran, outgunned, your family gets captured, your daughters and wives get raped then killed in front of you while you're screaming to high heaven you are going to kill the bastards who are doing it, while they laugh at you and your misery. Then they put a bullet into your head and ratfuck your gear and move on to the next set of victims. Sounds harsh? Guess what, it is. This is personal experience in Bosnia and South Africa. Two different continents, same mindset. So im pretty sure you can make a solid bet we will see the same thing happen here if/when the time comes.

So right about now, you are saying one of two things, . . .1) That Stormfeather guy is an asshole and doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground, or . . .2) Geeze, holy shit, hes right and what the hell am I going to do?

Option 1-. . .keep your head buried up that fat ass of yours and hope that you will miraculously grown thin and fit when SHTF or. . .

Option 2- . . .Do something about it.
If you choose Option 1. . . please stop reading now and continue to go about your oblivious way. Option 2 folks, read on.

So, hopefully, right about now you are saying "Ok Stormfeather. . . you made your point, so how do I lose weight?"
3 words. . . you know them even before I say them, and you all HATE them...

Diet and Exercise

DIET

Thermogenics. . . the more calories you expend versus the calories you intake, results in weight loss. eating 5-6 meals a day versus 2-3 is more beneficial. How this works, your body is used to getting fed every so many hours. When you eat 2-3 meals a day, your body recognizes that its going to need to hold onto everything you fed it for at least so many hours til it gets fed again. And it will. As we get older, it holds onto everything, and it shows! Now, when you eat every 2-3 hours, your body recognizes it needs to consume these calories because it will have more calories being sent its way in a matter of a few hours. Portion control is important. I usually fix 2 chicken breasts at once, cut them in half, and thats 4 of my main meals a day. Add broccoli or cauliflower or some type of veggie with that chicken, small portion of rice, (half cup) fruit, and you have a meal! This works with turkey, tuna. . .pork. . . ect. You can even use red meat as long as you maintain portion control. How do I know this? I did it. Im currently doing it. and I will continue to do it until I reach my target weight of 200 pounds. One thing I recommend, preparing all of your days meals at one time, and packing them all in separate containers. I substituted Mt Dew for flavored water. Go to your local WalMart. . . and look in the section. Find "Mio" they are a small container of flavor enhancer, now, look right beside them, and there is a generic version called "great value" its the generic wal mart brand for about a dollar less. Use this as a substitute for your Soda/Pop/Cola. Drink lots and lots of water. I have a 3 quart water bottle that im continuously filling up and drinking off of all day. Carry it with you everywhere you go. This plus more meals of much smaller portions, and you are on your way to shocking your system in wanting to lose weight and speed up its metabolism.

EXERCISE

Time to wake up and smell the coffee. Get off your fat ass, and get it outside. It doesnt have to be heart pounding hard and crazy. All it takes is walking out the front door. Try doing this. Get your ipod/smartphone, download your favorite JAM songs from high school. ( Can anyone remember "Eye Of The Tiger" by survivor? It starts every single workout for me. ) Plug in a headset, walk out the door. . . and take your ass for a walk. Practice your mental war-gaming. look at your environment. Look at the ebb & flow of it. How things move within it. Look at what people are doing in their day to day routines. How can you use it? How will it work against you? Working out doesnt have to be painful folks. it can be a mental exercise as well as a physical one. Make it a practice of walking 30 minutes out in one direction, then 30 minutes back. Im NOT talking power walking, jogging, or running, Im talking a nice leisurely pace. Walk 30 out, then 30 back. This whole time, look at your environment. enjoy it. If its not enjoyable, you wont do it again. Make it fun. (We preppers pride ourselves in our ability to look ahead, yet it seems we forgot the most important prep. Taking care of ourselves.) Now that youve done this for a week, I want you to keep doing it for the next week, only this time, pick up the pace just a little bit. Distance wise, you should be able to cover an extra city block or maybe even two. Continue this for another full week. Each week afterwards, pick up your pace a little bit more to the point where you start to consider a extremely slow jog.

Now that the cardio is out of the way, lets look at muscle building. Im going to surprise you all with a little trick I learned from a trainer friend of mine.

2 minutes.

2 minutes of pushup per hour. how hard is it? You dont have to do 100 pushups, just do 2 minutes of them. I dont care what you do as a job, you can excuse yourself to disappear for two minutes per hour somewhere. Once you have completed your workday and are at home, 2 minutes of situps/ or holding the plank position, or crunches, or leg-lifts. something to work your core. it doesnt have to be monster repetition, just do two minutes of it. 2 minutes every hour. If you are awake for 16 hours a day, that is a total of only 32 minutes of actual core exercises a day. add that to your walking, and you all of a sudden, you have a workout plan! It doesnt have to be hard, or painful Those of us with injuries will find out that this also works. the trick to all of this, is just stick with it. Its so easy to put that weight on, and its hell to take it off. But once you get it off, youve done all the hard work, now all you have to do is maintain it.

Trust me when I say this, you may hate me now for being blunt, for being honest, and in your face about it. But, when the time comes and you need to be in shape, deep inside, your are going to be thanking me. I dont care if you acknowledge me about this, nor do I care if you tell me to go pound sand, The only person who this is going to benefit is you. But you have to want to do it, and you have to stick with it. I dont care if it takes posting results here online for all to see, or calling members here for motivation, do what the fuck it takes. Nobody is going to do it for you, and in the end, its one of the surefire ways to ensure survivability. (think Zombieland rules here, rule #1, cardio. . .)

In conclusion, all I can say is get off your fat ass, and get moving. If you dont want to do what it takes to keep yourself healthy, then send me all that ammo, guns, food preps and silver youve been hoarding, because honestly, you probably wont need it because you wont survive long enough to use it. Nothing but tough love from me to you!

Stay Frosty!
Stormfeather

The Stig
05-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Trust me when I say this, you may hate me now for being blunt, for being honest, and in your face about it.

Nah. The old blood and guts screaming thing doesn't make me mad. Doesn't motivate me or convince me of anything either. But it doesn't make me mad.

I do appreciate you typing all that out however, because besides all the drill-instructor stuff you are 1,000,000% right.

I felt so good when I had gotten myself in shape, and feel like so much shit now that I'm back to carrying 20-30lbs of blubber in my gut. I know all I have to do is step foot back in the gym once to get going again but it's taking that first step that seems to get me.

Stormfeather
05-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Take that step buddy! All it takes is one step, you know it and I know it. As a matter of fact, im finishing up now and heading out to work out for today! why dont ya join me in spirit? I go do mine, and you go do yours!

As a fyi, this post wasnt directed to anyone in particular, so please dont think it was intended as such. Im a firm believer in Positive/negative motivation, like beating the donkey with the carrot. . .I think thats how its supposed to work! This was meant as a mass message to all who needed a kick in the ass to get moving! :)

Stay Frosty!
Stormfeather

Grumpy Old Man
05-11-2012, 10:21 PM
As an old bald arthritic fat guy, I can tell you several things. After 50 your metabolism slows down, fat goes on more quickly than it comes of, stamina decreases, recovery time increases. It's just the way it is. When I broke my ribs and vertebra last time I was 53 and for 6 weeks didn't do a whole lot physically, but I ate well....too well. Then I was flying a desk and wasn't too motivated, although I did do some stuff with the ponies.

Now I walk, take my herbal supplements, ride my tricycle around the plant, drink mucho filtered water, avoid soda pop and beer, and I eat three meals/day! DON'T skip breakfast!!!! Have an apple, oatmeal, Grape Nuts (a personal favorite) a banana, but have something. I used to have mexican breakfast (coffee and a cigarette) and load up at lunch and eat a light dinner and still couldn't lose weight. Only after I started spreading my caloric intake over the day did the weight start going. Does it go fast? No! but I've lost 20 lbs since the first of the year and I'll keep at it, but not at the pace I was able to do 10 years ago.

I will enlighten you further on things guys over fifty should know down at the Saloon and Grill.

The Stig
05-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Take that step buddy! All it takes is one step, you know it and I know it. As a matter of fact, im finishing up now and heading out to work out for today! why dont ya join me in spirit? I go do mine, and you go do yours!

As a fyi, this post wasnt directed to anyone in particular, so please dont think it was intended as such. Im a firm believer in Positive/negative motivation, like beating the donkey with the carrot. . .I think thats how its supposed to work! This was meant as a mass message to all who needed a kick in the ass to get moving! :)

Stay Frosty!
Stormfeather

No worries mate...wasn't taking it personal at all.

:)

mitunnelrat
05-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Damn! I'm not used to anyone but me talking to me like that!

Seriously, you laid out the plan I follow almost to the letter, which I picked up and modified from the Men's Health Hard Body Guide. The exception being the 2 minutes every hour routine, but I'm going to throw a PT mat in my car now for work hours.

I even shit talk myself like that as I work out. Ok, maybe a little worse than that. I have a foul mouth.

I know I was talking in this thread about the paleo diet, and culling certain foods. Works for some people, not for me. I like too many "bad" things too much to cut them out entirely. So I'd have to agree your methods and eating schedule are the way to go. Experience has shown me it works. I'm more of an iced green tea guy now than flavored water though ;)

I rarely leave home without a one gallon jug of water and my 32oz Nalgene to drink from anymore. It replaced the Dew that was a permanent accessory for a long time. Over a gallon a day in soda at one point. Now, I'm ok with only drinking it if I'm eating pizza, and even then its Pepsi, and only 8 ounces of it.

That book I keep mentioning makes all of this stupid easy to do too. If anyone else reading is the type to "need a plan" before doing anything. Get this book. It takes all the guesswork, development, and (for me) excuses away. From exercises, to meal/ workout timing, to how and what to eat...

Also, to follow up on what Stormy said, cardio can come in many variations. I'd recommend finding what you enjoy the most to start with, or what you can do easily as a parent (like attaching a kiddie trailer to a bicycle or something).

I tend to push myself, but now I work just as hard to keep it varied and fun so I don't burn out and quit. Even if something I do sucks (like interval training over 4 miles yesterday) I can recognize its only one hour, push through, and if its that bad I know I can substitute something else in its stead next time, like bike riding or swimming, etc.

I won't do that with running though, or rucking. I originally said combatives too, but figure that should actually be fun...

And I think that just solved my workout scheduling...

GunnerMax
05-15-2012, 05:21 PM
so far this deployment I have lost 20 pounds. I chalk it up to:

No beer :mad:
No soda
insane amounts of water
and my meals are now 80%+ veggies

tompnoid
05-16-2012, 09:22 PM
I call it the rocky work out 45 min cardio then free weights low weight 40 50 lbs and mixing cardio shadow boxing with the fre weights curls sun gods and sit ups and 6 inches. then muscle failure with free weights those of you who don't know what muscle failure is its starting at 20 then counting down to 1 then 19 to 1 and 18 ans so on work till your muslces fall apart it tears and rips all the while building strength and tone.

msomnipotent
05-17-2012, 03:49 PM
I started exercising on February 28th. I started out really slowly, but I am up to 1 1/2 hrs on the treadmill at least several times a week. I try for every day now that my back and neck stopped bothering me. It turns out that you really shouldn't be swinging dumbells around while walking 3.5 mph on a treadmill or you risk throwing your back out. Who knew? I have only lost 10 pounds so far, but I finally have some muscle tone for the first time since getting RA. And now the dog gives out before I do on our walks!

I would probably be a lot thinner if cava wasn't so cheap and tasty. It doesn't help to eat salad and fruit all day and then drink a bottle of Spanish champagne to celebrate the fact that I lost some weight. It is a vicious cycle, I tell you!

tompnoid
05-17-2012, 08:01 PM
i pulled something in my back last night hurts alot but still working out and hey storm feather thanks for the idea of working out 2 minutes a hour doing push ups i been doing that everyday while i been bored at work

mitunnelrat
05-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Those same two minutes have bested and humbled me. So have the other 4 I thought would be a good idea for core work and lower body each hour...

I like it.

mitunnelrat
05-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Added 2 minutes of jumping rope to the hourly repertoire.

If I can decide upon one more thing to do I'll have the equivalent of two breaks and a lunch period spent exercising at work. Since I don't get those breaks its time well spent imo

tompnoid
05-21-2012, 04:31 PM
I decided to go on a three day fast this week anyone with tips let me know

piranha2
05-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Don't drink no coffee.

austinrob
05-27-2012, 03:53 PM
late to this topic (jumping in on page 6) and didn't read the whole thing, so forgive any repetition.

2 major goals in this area. Losing fat, gaining endurance and/or muscle.

Losing fat:
our body will burn fat for energy, but only if there's nothing easier for it to burn. If you have excess glucose in your system, your body will use that, and store fat. If you want to lose fat, step 1, cut back on sugar.

Gaining endurance/muscle:
Accomplished by working the muscle. For cardio endurance, work your cardio system. Usually involves other muscle systems as well. Walk, run, bike... whatever.
For gaining muscle, you need to lift weights. Those weights don't have to be on a rack. A bag of feed is a weight. Notice all the "crossfit" gyms popping up? They have stations like tire flipping, bag hauling, rock breaking (you swing a sledge into a tire). So don't pay for a gym, go work on your garden. Turn soil, shovel compost, drag brush. Look, your own cross-fit gym!!

tracking calories:
important to know how much you eat, and what you eat. You should be eating 10-12 times your body weight in calories daily with exercise (generalization) in order to lose weight. Those calories should come from mostly vegetable sources, 20-30% of your calories from fat, 20-30% from protein, the rest from carbs with as little sugar as possible (fruits have fructose which is a sugar, fruits are good, but no more than 2 or 3 a day). If you eat too little, your body compensates by slowing down the rate at which it burns calories. Thus giving you less energy.

What I do:
Breakfast is eggs and some kind of veg. Make eggs with peppers and spinach in them. (if you like peppers) Throw in some ham, sprinkle on some cheese (lightly).
Morning snack is a protein shake (product I sell, I won't say more than that here, this is not a forum for selling that stuff).
Lunch starts with a big salad with mushrooms, sometimes onion & peppers some ham or turkey on top, blue cheese crumbles and minimal blue cheese dressing. Toss in some tomato if you like.
Afternoon snack is typically fruit. A big apple, or a bananna.
Dinner is the big protein meal, I don't limit myself on what I eat for dinner usually, but try to avoid sugars.

That's 5 meals of 250-500 calories each (dinner is the big one) that usually brings me in around 1800-2000 calories a day.

Between yard work, playing with my kids, and going to a martial arts class with my daughter, I get plenty of cardio without looking for more.

Before I started I was 215 and pretty slow. Now I'm 182, still have a gut (I don't want a 6-pack), have more energy, can run 2 miles in a little less than 20min, and feel a lot better about myself than when I started.

Losing the weight isn't the hard part. The hard part is picking a plan you can stick to.

The word "diet" has come to mean a method of weight loss. It really means an eating plan. Pick an eating plan you can stick with. Add an exercise plan to it that you can do without hurting yourself, and that you won't hate (accidental exercise... something fun that just happens to be exercise).

Eat 4-6 small meals a day. If you're hungry, drink a big glass of water. If you're hungry 20min later, eat a snack.

Stick with it for 3 weeks. Studies have shown that's what it takes to form habits. If you're still fighting it after 4 weeks, pick something else, you won't be able to stick with what you started with.

The Stig
05-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Ok folks....I think I got the motivation I need to get back to the gym.

Did a 3 day precision shooting class. When we got into sitting unsupported shooting positions.......well....lets just say my "tactical shelf" made breathing damn near impossible. It sucked. I had to create my own version of the sitting position just to be able to breath. :/

I'm turning around and leaving for a few more days tomorrow for a work situation but I will be getting back into the gym routine starting June 4.

tompnoid
05-29-2012, 06:17 PM
i am down 10 lbs eating just fruits and veggies for 1 week so far

mitunnelrat
05-30-2012, 07:38 PM
I strained a tendon (I think) in my right leg and it brought almost all physical activity to a screeching halt last Thursday. It ran from just above my knee, down the inside of my calf, and ended after crossing the top of my foot. I couldn't even stretch or flex my ankle at first. I did some reading, and found that's a common injury for people who start "barefoot" running. I'm not doing that (yet), but the leg exercises I am doing would produce the same effect. I was pushing too hard.

It was straight up slip on dress shoes (for work) and sandals for a few days. It was hell trying to lace anything up properly, especially my boots.

Today is the best its felt since then, though still tender, so I figure I'll do an upper body workout Friday and see how it is the start of next week.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

austinrob
05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
common injury for people who start "barefoot" running. I'm not doing that (yet)

It's a great training tool.

With your foot having a hard support, your toes all act together. Separated, they are forced to act individually. Usually this produces more range of motion and better strength in the foot and calf. But people have a tendency to do too much too soon when barefooting. you probably saw a reference to TMTS (too much too soon) in some of your reading about barefoot running.

I went barefoot for about 3 years working for dotcoms that didn't care. I avoid shoes when I can, my callouses are still pretty thick. But when i started running, I too fell to TMTS and couldn't walk right for a week or so.

Vodin
05-31-2012, 08:07 PM
I have been working on losing weight I was about 210 when I said to myself 'NO Bad bad!!!'. So it has been a struggle (if you havent read my posts yet I luv food) But I have knocked myself to 196 my goal is 150. I need to lighten the weight on my bones and start becoming more nimble again. In that sense I am a sloth. But it will occur this year.

One important aspect of my decision is supported by a food. Amazing I can find one to do it : ) Chia Seeds. It was brought to my attn from a friend I was thinking 'yea right sure it will' and worked its magic.

It works for me on a couple of situations Hunger and Reflux.

For Hunger I place 3 tbs of see into a glass about an hour b4 I eat. With it I put in about 2 cups of water and and 1/2 a lemon. What occurs is this the seeds absorb 9 times there size from the liquid present. What this means is you will have a mass of 2 cups in your stomach when you eat/drink it. That is 2 cups of water and only 3 tablespoons of seed.

Reflux usage I place about 1/3 cup of water in with 3tbs of Chia and 1/2 a lemon. A drink this as fast as poss at that moment. What happens is the Chia seed is immersed in the stomach acids. It will absorb enuf to where it wont bother me.

Either way look it up with a search on the web. You will find more articulate explanations than what I present to you here. It can be placed in recipes for food or drink, I just use it as a drink. A pound of the seed is about 7 dollars and it lasted me for about 2-3 weeks of every day usage.

mitunnelrat
05-31-2012, 08:20 PM
Yep. TMTS. And it fits perfectly for me too. I'm gonna get on my elliptical machine tonight so I can get some cardio in and see how that feels. It should be low enough impact to allow me a good run, then get back into outdoor jogging next week. Same for the gym, I'll go back to (lighter) weights next week as well. I'm pretty sure I'll be ok doing an upper body workout for tomorrow.

I was amazed at just how much was affected by this.

2die4
06-19-2012, 07:22 PM
so far this deployment I have lost 20 pounds. I chalk it up to:

No beer :mad:
No soda
insane amounts of water
and my meals are now 80%+ veggies

I have seen Soldiers get fat there eating nothing but pogey bait or I call it fobbit food.

izzyscout21
06-20-2012, 12:08 AM
I have seen Soldiers get fat there eating nothing but pogey bait or I call it fobbit food.

Or eating the always awesome KBR enchilada's.....

Vodin
06-20-2012, 12:19 AM
A few weeks later I am down to 193. The seeds are doing decent by making me 'think' I am full. As an added to do I stop about every 2-3 hours and go and find a physical chore to do for about 30-40 minutes. And it turns out that losing the weight is not a task it is really mindless. Once I know you all better I can explain that part in more detail.

izzyscout21
06-20-2012, 12:24 AM
I need to try me some of those seeds. While they wont help me improve my agility and cardio ability, they will at least help me lose the tire....

cwconnertx
06-20-2012, 12:31 AM
I need to try me some of those seeds. While they wont help me improve my agility and cardio ability, they will at least help me lose the tire....

The tire is what we call 'first line food storage'
Not subject to spoilage, theft, or being off premises when needed.

See, I can rationalize anything

izzyscout21
06-20-2012, 12:34 AM
LMAO

mitunnelrat
04-19-2014, 07:02 PM
We haven't really visited this topic for a while so I figured I might as well bring it up again! :D

I've had better intentions than results for some time now, but got a new gym membership at a much improved facility last fall. I fell away, making it only sporadically, again this winter for a variety of valid reasons and bad excuses, but getting outside and moving again is showing a drop in weight just from the increased activity, even though my diet has suffered with the change to these 12 hour overnight shifts I now have to work. I defaulted back to liberal caffeine consumption and microwave meals.

The weight loss has given me a little push though.

I realized (again) that a gym is not the do all, be all, end all of fitness. So I am now removing that as an excuse. All I need for equipment is a swiss ball and a sauna suit to keep my uniform clean at work, and I'll be re-starting a body weight calisthenics circuit there. One I think will be much improved over my previous program.

Two minutes each of:
Jumping rope
Squats
Swiss ball crunches
Swiss ball back extensions
Pushups
Inverted rows from under my desk

No set rest periods in between so I'll have a balanced, total body workout done in less than 15 minutes, 3x per night for now, eventually kicking the intensity up to once per hour and adding weight as required.

I've only got one more month of sleep deprivation to endure, so I'm going to make a serious effort to work past that and make it to the gym Monday and Wednesday mornings. If I can keep from weaving like a drunk on my way home after work I'll forgo a nap on Tuesday nights to exercise then as well.

I've been following Pat McNamara's articles outlining his Combat Strength Training program in Recoil, and I'm going to follow that methodology for my primary routine. I'll post more details once I get what I have together and summarized.

Meal planning is a go at this point now as well, though it will take some major discipline and preparation to accomplish. I'm constantly switching back and forth from a night schedule to a day schedule, so I decided I'd just set meal times every 2.5 - 3 hours over a 24 hour period. It works out great for eating 6-7x a day no matter when I'm awake, and I can put workouts in between them to achieve the best possible results.

It is past time I get this done.

helomech
04-19-2014, 07:59 PM
I have been working out hard since December. Lost 28lbs, and dropped about 10% body fat. Stopped drinking cokes (was drinking a lot about 6 to 10 a day). Dropped white bread out of my diet, and just started tracking my intake using myfitnesspal.com. Strength is way up, and endurance is great. I am 40 and don't think I have ever been as strong as I am now. I go to the gym 6 days a week, for 1 to 2.5 hours depending on what day it is. I am doing the Arnold Schwarzenegger workout program. It is very intense. Today is shoulders and arms, and will take me about 2.5 hours to complete, with only 45 second rests in between each set.

mitunnelrat
04-20-2014, 03:05 AM
Here we go. Rather than try to explain it I'll just take you straight to the source.
http://www.recoilweb.com/preview-pt-get-off-your-ass-32925.html

4suchatimeasthis
04-20-2014, 03:38 AM
I've been doing the USPS Letter Carrier workout....I do a lot of walking routes, carrying that satchel of mail for several hours, 6 days a week. Stairs. Suck. A. Lot. But, it's a good workout. Scary good. Like, in the projects of Nashville last week, an old guy on a power chair followed me down two streets, making appalling/hilarious comments. Apparently I now have a "ghetto booty". Yikes. I look at it as being paid to work out, lol.

mitunnelrat
04-21-2014, 03:34 AM
I miss that kind of work sometimes, but I think I like the balance I can reach at this job much better.

I started my little program tonight. At first I thought I bit off more than I can chew, and I might have, but I'll find out for sure tomorrow. For now I think I underestimated how much my legs would be working through the entire circuit, and on top of that I forgot my jump rope so I subbed it with two minutes on a mini stair climber instead.

I did that just fine, and finished for time with 35 squats and 32 crunches. I lost it on the back extensions. I only finished 18 good ones and had to quit before the two minutes was up. The push ups and inverted rows are pending. I'll do them at 0100 and think I may call that good for the night. This was ugly tonight. I haven't had to fight the urge to puke from over-exertion in a very long time, and never when "lifting."

greg48
04-21-2014, 08:33 PM
I work out, I am not happy with my fitness. I have serious back problems, trying to work out and preserve my back is tuff. I mentioned once before, having a BOB and being to pack it a distance is something of consideration. My work is pretty simple, push ups, planks, set ups, pull ups, cardio is walking fast with my ruck sack on most times, distance varies. I live in the country, my ruck marches include a rifle or shotgun, it's habit.

Caveman Survival
04-26-2014, 04:40 AM
Helomech, I use fitness PAL as well... It's not magic, but seeing the numbers puts things into perspective. By using it (and thereby practicing portion control) I have lost 20 healthy lbs in a matter of two months. It seems like a drastic amount but to me it is just reflective of how much extra weight I was carrying that had no reason to be their. This was without exercise. I have plateaued now though, so moderate activity to keep my gains (or more accurately losses) moving in the right direction will begin. Simple hour long treks with my backpack and my dog in tow to begin with, gradually increasing.

Throughout the summer I do a lot of canoeing and demanding yard work so that also helps me until it's time to fatten up for the harsh winters lol. And yes!!!!! Drop that soda from your intake and you notice results immediately

helomech
04-26-2014, 09:56 PM
Helomech, I use fitness PAL as well... It's not magic, but seeing the numbers puts things into perspective. By using it (and thereby practicing portion control) I have lost 20 healthy lbs in a matter of two months. It seems like a drastic amount but to me it is just reflective of how much extra weight I was carrying that had no reason to be their. This was without exercise. I have plateaued now though, so moderate activity to keep my gains (or more accurately losses) moving in the right direction will begin. Simple hour long treks with my backpack and my dog in tow to begin with, gradually increasing.

Throughout the summer I do a lot of canoeing and demanding yard work so that also helps me until it's time to fatten up for the harsh winters lol. And yes!!!!! Drop that soda from your intake and you notice results immediately

I set it up to loose 1 lb a week, and I ended up loosing 25 lbs in less than 4 months. Last week I changed my goals on My fitness pal to maintain my weight. I want to loose more fat, but since I am building muscle I should be able to maintain my weight while adding muscle. I am having a hard time meeting my calorie goal with my workouts. Today I burned 1600 calories in my workout, so today I have to eat almost 4k calories to break even. Not going to make that goal today.

Cokes have been gone since the superbowl, and I don't plan on ever drinking sodas again, except on very few occasions.

mitunnelrat
04-26-2014, 11:41 PM
I just signed up for it since I saw it here again. I can already see where it would be a huge help. Thanks for talking about it guys, or I'd have totally forgotten to check it out.

helomech
04-26-2014, 11:51 PM
It is a big help. You don't have to give up anything. Just have to eat things in moderation and this help with that. Also the more you work out the more you can eat. So if you want to pig out, hit it hard.

ladyhk13
04-27-2014, 03:30 PM
I know Kodiak personally and have been doing the calorie thing myself. It does work with very little exercise, although, I am looking forward to it warming up due to having so many outside projects coming up. (I will post some pics very soon in other threads)--I will be using Kodiak this summer like he is my very own stepchild--lol.

He should be able to cut his calories in half just by the amount of food you steal from his lunchbox....you didn't get that name by accident buddy!

ladyhk13
04-27-2014, 03:53 PM
If some of you aren't having results with the diet you are on try the Atkins Diet. I have known several people who have done it and had great results. Much better than South Beach. Try to remember that if you are 60 lbs overweight you will not have the energy to work out like the ones with less weight to lose. Maybe trying to work on the actual diet first and then the toning/bulking up part would give better results and a mental attitude to succeed. Trying to kick it in high gear physically from the beginning leads to mental drain and failure (quitting) and injuries, as we can see several of you have right now. Light workout and diet in the beginning is key with severe overweight issues. And as others have said..eating 5-6 small meals is better for you, when you eat the conditioned way your body goes into starvation mode and uses muscle for energy and saves the fat for reserves.

Kodiak
04-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Been eating right and working out, lost 14 pounds in two weeks. Went to a trainer and he put me on a meal plan, i eat every 3 hours for a total of 6 meals a day, roughly 2400 calories and 295 grams of protein. With a little structure and discipline im feeling good about reaching my goal to lose 50 pounds this year.

helomech
04-27-2014, 08:53 PM
If some of you aren't having results with the diet you are on try the Atkins Diet. I have known several people who have done it and had great results. Much better than South Beach. Try to remember that if you are 60 lbs overweight you will not have the energy to work out that one one with les weight to lose. Maybe tying to work on the actual diet first and then the toning/bulking up part would give you better results and a mental attitude to succeed. Trying to kick it in high gear physically from the beginning leads to mental drain and failure (quitting) and injuries, as we can see several of you have right now. Light workout and diet in the beginning is key with severe overweight issues. And as others have said..eating 5-6 small meals is better for you, when you eat the conditioned way your body goes into traction mode and uses muscle for energy and saves the fat for reserves.

My wife has been on atkins diet for a while now, she is down over 40lbs, and loves it. Don't let the people that don't know crap about it tell you it is not safe.

greg48
04-28-2014, 10:12 AM
I lost weight on my deployments, I called it the Iraqi diet plan. There weren't very many MREs I could eat,
we had some guy's that would eat 3-4 MREs a day, they put on the pounds!

ladyhk13
04-29-2014, 02:46 AM
I lost weight on my deployments, I called it the Iraqi diet plan. There weren't very many MREs I could eat,
we had some guy's that would eat 3-4 MREs a day, they put on the pounds!

They are like 3000 calories each? No wonder. Also they are geared to the male metabolism but the women have to eat them too, that's one reason why we have so many overweight gals in the service now.

mitunnelrat
04-29-2014, 09:46 PM
If some of you aren't having results with the diet you are on try the Atkins Diet. I have known several people who have done it and had great results. Much better than South Beach. Try to remember that if you are 60 lbs overweight you will not have the energy to work out like the ones with less weight to lose. Maybe trying to work on the actual diet first and then the toning/bulking up part would give better results and a mental attitude to succeed. Trying to kick it in high gear physically from the beginning leads to mental drain and failure (quitting) and injuries, as we can see several of you have right now. Light workout and diet in the beginning is key with severe overweight issues. And as others have said..eating 5-6 small meals is better for you, when you eat the conditioned way your body goes into starvation mode and uses muscle for energy and saves the fat for reserves.

This is exactly why I scaled my calisthenics routine back. I got enough negative feedback from various body parts to know I was hitting it too hard to start. I have to remember I'm not 19 anymore. In some ways this is more intensive than a PT test was then. I'm heavier, and more importantly imo, my conditioning is terrible. I can't do what I could, it will take more of a toll, and recovery is going to take longer. Like it or not.

About the only thing you surprised me with in this post was the recommendation to diet before increasing activity levels, but then you expanded and said light exercise and diet as a combo, so I'm pretty sure we're on the same page there. I've read and observed for myself that our bodies will adapt to whatever we do and change to achieve those tasks as effieciently as possible. Hence my ass gets soft and spreads across a seat, and 4such tones, builds muscle, and firms up, as a local so colorfully told her.

Ok, that was half tongue in cheek, but the principle holds. Its why body builders don't run marathons, and runners don't lift heavy. They're conditioning just isn't optimized for it. Anyway, its my understanding dieting alone will work for a bit, but our bodies will adapt to that as well and, while I'd be lighter, I'd still be weak, lacking the conditioning to function like I need to. Since I need both to achieve my goals I feel like it just makes sense to capitalize on the fat burning properties of a revved up metabolism right from the start.

Stormfeather
05-01-2014, 03:42 AM
Been working on losing more weight, its slowly shedding off, cant wait til I hit my target weight! Been using the MyFitnessPal app that everyone is talking about, it works great!

izzyscout21
05-06-2014, 01:05 PM
They are like 3000 calories each? No wonder. Also they are geared to the male metabolism but the women have to eat them too, that's one reason why we have so many overweight gals in the service now.

The standard MRE's are not really 3k calories. That's been a myth for a long time now. Just look at the nutrition label on them. they are normally in the 1200- 1500 cal range once you add everything up. And most folks dont eat EVERYTHING from the meal. They help pack on pounds because they are LOADED with carbs.

LRRP MRE's..........thats another story.

ladyhk13
05-08-2014, 05:28 AM
The standard MRE's are not really 3k calories. That's been a myth for a long time now. Just look at the nutrition label on them. they are normally in the 1200- 1500 cal range once you add everything up. And most folks dont eat EVERYTHING from the meal. They help pack on pounds because they are LOADED with carbs.

LRRP MRE's..........thats another story.

I know someone here who would eat everything in them and 3 meals a day ;)

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-08-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm guessing she would be referencing me?

ladyhk13
05-08-2014, 07:39 PM
I'm guessing she would be referencing me?

Actually thinking about our adopted kid here! You know he will eat anything put in front of him ;)

izzyscout21
05-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Actually thinking about our adopted kid here! You know he will eat anything put in front of him ;)

Hey now ....

izzyscout21
05-09-2014, 05:16 PM
I know someone here who would eat everything in them and 3 meals a day ;)

Only for a day or so....... After that, the mre's gum up the pipeline,..... So to speak.

2die4
05-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Only for a day or so....... After that, the mre's gum up the pipeline,..... So to speak.

I've actually discovered over the years if I avoid the cheese and the peanut butter I don't get all backed up. At least that what works for me.

ladyhk13
05-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Hey now ....

I just call it like I see it ;)

izzyscout21
05-09-2014, 08:22 PM
I've actually discovered over the years if I avoid the cheese and the peanut butter I don't get all backed up. At least that what works for me.

But those are the best parts

izzyscout21
05-09-2014, 08:23 PM
I just call it like I see it ;)

I like food..... ;)

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-10-2014, 12:02 AM
We also found that said "nuggets" were useful. A little Euphrates mud for adhesion and packed on the outside of a claymore gave it many more extra projectiles enhancing the explosive's capabilities. The maple sausage was one of the most effective :cool: Old Desert River Rat trick............

mitunnelrat
05-11-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm glad you clarified. Meat patties were not the "nuggets" I thought you were talking about at first, considering the emphasis of his post.

mitunnelrat
05-11-2014, 10:27 AM
By the way, I am going to quit smoking again. So far I've gone just about 14.5 hours.

helomech
05-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Keep it up mitunnelrat, it isn't easy but not impossible. I am at3.5 years since I quit. Bought and paid for a honda big red side by side with the money I did not waste on smoking.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-11-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm glad you clarified. Meat patties were not the "nuggets" I thought you were talking about at first, considering the emphasis of his post.

Pork "fecal nuggets" were more effective than the beef over there.

mitunnelrat
05-12-2014, 12:00 AM
I was right at first then! What a relief knowing it isn't just because I ain't right in the head. ;)

ETA: I was weak on the non-smoking effort, but I'm not going to sweat it. All that moment did is reaffirm my resolve and reset the clock. 7 hours and counting now.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-12-2014, 12:30 PM
You sound like someone else I know. But the best tasting cigarette will be the one after the SHTF when all the packs are gone and then you find the "one cigarette" for those of you that know what I mean about that "one cigarette" after all that shit...........good luck by the way.

Stormfeather
05-12-2014, 11:33 PM
Did a 18 mile ruck Sunday, heading out for a bike ride here in a few minutes, nothing crazy, like 3-4 miles.

mitunnelrat
05-20-2014, 11:46 AM
I figured out this weekend I won't be able to quit smoking if I don't quit drinking. As much as I like my beer I don't have a dependence issue there, so my liver and lungs have been thanking me profusely since Sunday.

My kidneys are still bitching at me though, so I finished my last bit of Pepsi last night and switched to caffeine supplements to wean myself off all the excess sugar, caffeine, and empty calories. No way in hell am I dropping this cold turkey at the same time as nicotine, but I no longer have any desire to continue treating my body like an amusement park.

The calisthenics program seems to be progressing as well. I'm still favoring a balanced approach, so at various times through the night I've made sure to get in at least two sets of 10 push ups, inverted rows, crunches, back extensions, and air squats. The jump rope was in sets of 100 and I did that every hour until it started raining. 600 total. Oh, and I threw in a set of desk dips for shits and giggles.

Stormfeather
05-20-2014, 03:19 PM
great job MTR! Im doing the same thing, slow runs each day, not over-taxing the knees, bicycle rides in the evening, slowing down on the smoking. . .cant seem to break that 24 hur window though. . . which really sucks. All soda has been cut out of the diet as well. Wasnt so hard to do that.

mitunnelrat
05-20-2014, 04:36 PM
The soda itself isn't so bad, I won't miss it. Caffeine withdrawal is terrible though, and people may laugh, but it's my most serious addiction. It hits the same pleasure receptors in a close manner to heroin, so that unfortunately makes sense.

This is the year of getting shit done though, so I will slay this demon again as well. Good luck on the smoking.

helomech
05-20-2014, 05:12 PM
4 years ago I gave up smoking (3 packs a day). About 6 months ago stopped eating processed foods, gave up cokes (drinking almost a 12 pack a day), started eating more good stuff, and cut out all sweets. Started working out at the end of November. I was ready to give it all up and none of it was that hard. It was the other times I tried to quit it was very hard, but not this time.

tystone48
05-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Great Job prosessed food is so liaded with suger and Big corp famous names are loaded GMOs. THEY put sugar in all ..Sugur in any forms is bad.. and Diet etc... is even worse
Water Water Water is the best I use Berky filters / fluoride and carbon. .or just drink distilled ... when you get all the junk stopped do a liver cleansing you will be suprised how good you feel when you get the trash out of your body
And dont feel like a cheater when you slip up by eating something bad
We have a what we call terrible Friday ..pick one thing you so badly crave on that day..then back to correct diet..
Then you will see the difference ..cause you will be bloated up again and feeling sick..you will feel the difference in your health..

helomech
05-21-2014, 05:02 PM
We drink well water at home with no filters, but when I am at work I am stuck with bottled water.

mitunnelrat
05-22-2014, 03:54 AM
Its well water for me too, even at work most of the time. I have a gallon jug I've gotten back into taking there.

I'm still doing well with not smoking, but let myself slip on soda today. I didn't think to drop a caffeine tab before heading to Detroit and wanted to be somewhat alert while there.

Everything else seems to be proceeding according to plan. I'm already down 2.7 pounds for this week.

helomech
05-22-2014, 04:33 AM
Its well water for me too, even at work most of the time. I have a gallon jug I've gotten back into taking there.

I'm still doing well with not smoking, but let myself slip on soda today. I didn't think to drop a caffeine tab before heading to Detroit and wanted to be somewhat alert while there.

Everything else seems to be proceeding according to plan. I'm already down 2.7 pounds for this week.

I got to work for 7 days at a time. If I was home every night I would bring my well water.

mitunnelrat
05-22-2014, 05:23 AM
Yeah. I remember you talking about that. I was going to mention it being a difference even, but was too lazy to on my phone.

Sniper-T
05-22-2014, 02:02 PM
After 18 weeks... I am down 25 pounds!

And considering I just got back from a week long piss up with gourmet meals... I am really happy that I didn't put 10 back on. lol

mitunnelrat
05-28-2014, 04:44 AM
Good job, T!

Anyone else want to play or have a story to tell? I've been on this lately hoping as much to inspire as hold myself to some kind of accountability here. If my inherently lazy, fat ass with a hectic schedule can do it, anyone can!

Now, on to that accountability... I suck! I've still been exercising at work, but I fell off the non-smoking wagon in the midst of all this overtime I've been pulling for the past couple weeks. I've done better with avoiding Pepsi and sugary energy drinks, but not by much. Beer? Mmmm, beeeer. I had a few on my one night off, but honestly, I'm more likely to fall asleep mid-way through one before I can drink much right now.

On the plus side, I have still lost 6 pounds, my diet at work has much improved since I'm chugging more water than anything else and eating almost nothing but foods from last year's garden. I need to get my little grill in here again and mix some fresh meals in too though. Jumping rope is getting easier. I don't think it will be any more than a month and I'll be getting 1,000 reps at a session in again. Crunches and back extensions are going easier, but my numbers are still pathetic compared to what I'd have thought they would be. The same with push ups, inverted rows, and air squats.

I promised my girlfriend I would train alongside her for a 5k. No way am I not going to support getting more active and fit. This is really about the max distance I'm wanting to run though. My body type is better suited to other activities like lifting heavy things. Next week I'll be be back at the gym twice a week. I'd get one more session in, but I only have three weeks to clear 12,000 sq. ft along two of my property lines and get my soil mixed and new boxes/ pails filled to finish getting our garden in. I'll pick the third gym day up once I'm back in school in July.

I'm watching too many people I know who, in their 50's, are breaking down due to poor lifestyle choices. The time to combat that is now.

Domeguy
05-28-2014, 10:14 AM
I just finished reading all 12 pages. I thought I was the only old fat man amongst this group of super-human beings who are ready at all times to protect and defend their castle, and slay their enemy with just a finger. I don't feel so all alone now. I'm 6'3", and am probably considered obese at 255. In high school, I had a 30" waist, and now at 53, I wear pants with a 42"waist. Do I have an excuse for having gained all this weight, no but in my defense, I worked for PepsiCo for the past 20 years. I ran soda routes for years, and the Mountain Dew flowed like water. My first summer, I survived on not much more than Mt. Dew and Hershey bars and didn't gain a pound. After 7 yrs of pushing soda, I switched over to Frito-Lay, (owned by Pepsico) working in a factory making potato chips. Part of my job was to constantly do taste tests from the line. This is when the weight started, as I weighted 201 when I started, and ended up 13 yrs later at 235. It didn't happen over night, it was about 3 lbs. a year. I told myself I could take it off anytime I wanted. I could loose 5 lbs a week by just eating right, but I would put it back on the next week. I was given a medical retirement after my neck and spinal surgeries, and after sitting at home for the past 3 yrs, I now weight almost 260. That is about 1/8th of a TON.
Stormfeathers manifesto came to me as a slap in the face wake up call. It's too easy to make excuses, especially medical excuses, I have a lot of neck and back pain, but mostly from only getting 15-20 hrs sleep per week. There are many exercises I can't do, but I can walk, and I can eat less....much less. I like how the group has come together to help one another. I will encourage and help out anyone I can here, and only ask for the same. Can some here please keep chewing me out when I slack off. I do promise to get out and walk each morning. I will post when I do, as well as when I don't. If I have someone pushing me, I think it will help.

mitunnelrat
05-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Lol... Be careful what you wish for dude ;)

Nah, its great to see that keeping tbis discussion alive has provided some motivation to someone else. Tell ya what, until we get more playing I'll be your accountability buddy, no sweat! (at least in that)

helomech
05-28-2014, 01:20 PM
Guys at least making the effort is something. Don't expect to change everything at once. Count all the little wins. Get on my fitness pal and start using it. Once you get started in the right direction it gets easier. I never thought I would quit smoking, or quit drinking cokes, but I did it. I also never thought I would enjoy going to the gym. I struggled though the first month, now I hate it when I miss a day (even a day I am supposed to miss). Pick one goal and stick with it, once you have that down it is physiological win, and will make you want to win again. Then pick a different task and win that. Just keep it up till you are where you want to be.

2die4
05-28-2014, 09:17 PM
As I am going to school for this very subject, slow and steady improvements are the key. Look at the big picture. If you're 30% body fat and are losing .5 to 1% body fat a month, by the end of the year you could lose 12% body fat. Now all of a sudden you're in the ideal to average range of the BMI.

By the way as a certified trainer, if anyone has any questions I'm happy to help.

Stormfeather
05-30-2014, 05:27 AM
Domeguy. . . did ya walk today? :) Just checking in on ya brother!

Socalman
05-31-2014, 02:08 AM
I spend a great portion of my work day on my feet walking, probably putting in about 2 miles just at work. I have cut down on my food intake. Several years ago I went on the Atkins Diet (very low carbohydrate, high protein) and dropped 42 pounds over 5 months. I have gradually put 30 of it back on and have recently decided to try to limit the carb intake. Man, I miss my ice cream! An added benefit to being in better physical shape is the improvement in your sex life.

Domeguy
05-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Yes Sir...if not walking, I am chasing down my destructive 5 yr old grandson. I seem to be taking care of him 5 days a week now, and he keeps me busy. I weighed my self this morning, and I seem to have lost 10 pounds. Don't know how it happened. So I celebrated this morning with banana pancakes........I know....bad.

mitunnelrat
06-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Well. I didn't do anything yesterday, but I really couldnt move much at all anyway! I'm so badly sunburned it isn't even funny. I'm gonna push through it today though. My first weight goal is too close to sit idle for long.

To help with that I picked up a portable gas grill for work. I can make myself all kinds of meaty goodness here now, add some veggies, and have a passable Paleo meal every few hours. Fresh and cooked is my favorite way to go. Today is a beef cut wrapped in bacon with mixed vegetables, a salad with tuna, kielbasa and saurkraut, a couple sandwiches. And eggs + A protein bar for breakfast. Its not all where I want to be, but budget constraints dictated some choices for this week, and its better than ordering a piza. Six small meals every few hours under Paleo guidelines and I should be well on my way to cutting some inches from my waistline.

helomech
06-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Well I skipped the gym yesterday and today, but I made up for it by cutting down about 5 oaks, cutting them up and splitting them. Now to make more fire wood storage racks and stack them all up. Those 16" long logs get heavy when they are about 2 feet thick. It is rough picking those up and putting them on the log splitter. The really big ones I had to stand the log splitter up and roll them to it.

mitunnelrat
06-01-2014, 03:55 PM
What Helo just said is a prime example of why I say I am not very smart, but I can lift heavy things. Our splitter doesnt stand up, so... Yeah. Its no wonder m.y back gets sore sometimes.

Wood. It def heats you more than once.

Sniper-T
06-12-2014, 11:09 AM
As of Yesterday, I am now down 30 pounds since Feb.

Feeling Better, and moving better each day!

swamprat
06-13-2014, 03:04 AM
I normally don't like to speak of systems and workouts as I have been ript off from many in the past, but I would highly recommend this company for anyone looking to get into shape. http://ngxonline.com I personally loss over 52 plbs and many people on there have also lost over 100 lbs and it really works. I know a few people in this colony that have used it also and are at 20-25 lbs less in only a month. I won't say any names.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-13-2014, 03:26 AM
I normally don't like to speak of systems and workouts as I have been ript off from many in the past, but I would highly recommend this company for anyone looking to get into shape. http://ngxonline.com I personally loss over 52 plbs and many people on there have also lost over 100 lbs and it really works. I know a few people in this colony that have used it also and are at 20-25 lbs less in only a month. I won't say any names.

So just what the hell does this have to do with eatin cats? Shame, shame boy, road kill's cheaper, dodging the cars is a better workout and I have a support group right here thank you very much.

swamprat
06-13-2014, 03:29 AM
That is true. I try to stay on a sidewalk when stumbling ....lol

Domeguy
06-18-2014, 04:26 AM
Haven't walked this week, but still down 5 lbs. I guess it's time for more banana pancakes.

mitunnelrat
06-18-2014, 09:04 AM
I hit my first weight goal, and I am now under 200 pounds, at 198. My ideal weight is 145, and in a past life I was at 155, so I know its doable, but I'd like to be a little more muscular than I was then. If 170 and 10-15% body fat is realistic I'm going to shoot for that instead.

I haven't been doing much at work except jump rope to get off my ass, but I've been really active at home clearing land and mixing soil for my garden. Squatting and farmer's walks are topping my list of activities with that.

2Die4... I could use some help developing a plan. I'm not going to be able to get to any of Pat McNamara's classes, but I have the outline of the program he's developed.

Pat McNamara - Combat Chassis

It is important to take care of the combat chassis.
I train folks in a system that I developed called Combat Strength Training. CST is a system that retrofits the combat chassis so that it performs with maximum efficiency at maximum capacity.

Focusing on self preservation and longevity, CST introduces the chassis and its external components to power, strength, and agility training in all plains of motion within the full muscle spectrum range.
It enhance the chassis' performance and tactical effectiveness through maintenance, education, and combat replicated movements while following a safe, comprehensive, systematic, and progressive format.
As the chassis is upgraded it becomes a battlefield multiplier which in turn becomes a force multiplier. CST improves rate of force production, strength, muscular development, speed, quickness, proprioception, and functional flexibility.

The CST methodology works within the individual's own performance level to develop a better, more efficient, stronger, and more capable self.

When it comes to weight training, working body parts is virtually an anachronism. Isolated training of the muscle group can actually be weakening the muscle group because it needs to be used in a functional fashion. We should focus on compound exercises as they are much more functional than isolated exercises. A chin up is a compound exercise that when done with a twist can elicit a growth response,...for those of you who want to show off your peaks and valleys. If you are performing fifty 'Kipping' pull-ups until the skin rips from your hands, you are an idiot. Remember your goal when exercising. You are exercising to get healthy. Torn hands are not synonymous with health and fitness.

Instead of damaging yourself, add to your carte du jour of exercises a 'One minute Chin-Up' with a long term goal of being able to achieve three in a row. The concentric movement or upward movement should last 30 seconds and the eccentric movement or downward movement should last 30 seconds. You will feel at some point other muscles kick in to assist. This is known as muscle recruitment. All that your muscles understand is applied tension. This exercise offers bang for the buck in muscular endurance and muscular development.

Perform Olympic style lifts. Compound lifts, like Olympic style lifts, are not only superior for building strength but are also more calorically challenging and elicit greater responses which generate elevations of testosterone and HGH (Human Growth Hormone).

Performing Olympic lifts will result in greater fitness levels, increased caloric expenditure, and improved total body strength and power development. Changing our exercises on a regular basis and manipulating our volumes and intensity every few weeks will stimulate greater growth and strength.

Before you touch anything that increases resistance, make sure you warm up properly. The purpose is to increase your body temperature to help improve muscle and tendon flexibility and pliability in order to facilitate an improved range of motion.

I am fortunate that I am still in one piece. I spent 22 in the military years as a special operations ground pounder and have had several reconstructive surgeries though at 46 I am fitter than I was at 26. I did not receive proper strength training instruction until I was 34. This saved me as I was probably on a self destructive downward spiral.
Here are a couple things I've learned and are testimony to long lasting performance.

The Combat Chassis needs to be worked in all plains of motion and in the full muscle action spectrum. In other words, we need to work in the frontal (laterally), sagittal (back and forth) and transverse (core movements) plains of motion.

In addition our combat chassis must produce a variety of actions to effectively manipulate gravity, ground reaction forces, momentum, and external resistance. Therefore we must work in the three different actions that the muscles produce: Eccentric (lengthening of the muscle), Concentric (shortening or contraction) and Isometric (equal force or maintaining length) .

I am also a firm believer in breaking down the week into sub-tasks. My four day program includes; Strength, Power, Speed/quickness, and muscular development (hypertrophy).

Speed = fast in one direction

Quickness = fast in multiple directions

Training example = Sprints, focus/ heavy bag work, speed ladder drills

Combat Application = movement under fire.

Personal application=running up a flight of stairs. Running through a crowd to the safety of your vehicle. Throwing accurate punches in bunches to an adversaries bread basket.

Power = rate of force production. How much how fast

Training example = power cleans, medicine ball throws, lateral sledge hammer

Combat application = hoisting a team mate into a fireman's carry. Heaving an ammo can to a top gunner.

Personal Application=throwing the table through the restaurant window. Hoisting an injured loved one into a fireman's carry.

Strength = how much
Training example = max squat, max dead-lift (three reps each)
Combat application = up righting an overturned vehicle, pulling one's self up and over obstacle.

Personal Application=holding a dangling loved one by the hand. Carrying your kids or wife from point 'A' to point 'B'.
Hypertrophy = muscular development
Training example = 20 reps sets to failure
Combat application = self preservation
Personall Application=self preservation

In addition to my big four, I will work abs every day, functional balance and functional flexibility twice a week.

I think it is important that each workout is run as a circuit and lasts 30 minutes or more. Each workout must start with a 5-10 minute warm-up (run a mile, jump rope, row).

Work the neglected areas as well. One of the limiting factors to all upper body strength is grip strength. We are load bearing creatures. How much we can carry and for how long is usually determined by what our hands can handle. I've got a plethora of grip performance exercises I can share if interested.

Another area often neglected is our necks. Pencil neck-itus can land you with a serious injury when an eighteen wheeler T-Bones your limo or when you take a spill down some stairs. The neck supports the 'Command Center'. Simple 'Buddy-assist' manual resistance exercises performed twice a week can determine whether you go limp or are able to stay in the fight when taking one on the chin.

We all have different goals when it comes to our PT program. For some it is as simple as cosmetics for others it is a requirement. Combat readiness however, is non-negotiable. This should be the main focus and should drive what we do and how we do it. Put your ego aside and understand that we all perform differently and that performance can be measured by doing what you can with what you have. Some of our combat chassis are Porches and some are Mack Trucks. Work within your capability level.

- Pat McNamara

I'm thinking to use Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" program as part of the strength, power, and hypertrophy training because it teaches proper form and details how to progress. I also want to include the MI Coalition of Law Enforcement Standards http://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,4607,7-229--147713--,00.html physical requirements for professional reasons. Its pushups, situps, vertical jump, and a 1/2 mile shuttle run. I think they, and some support exercises for them, should fit right in with his methodology.

Outside of this I'm thinking I'd like to be able to run 4 miles, ruck long distance, and do some combatives training.

I'm looking to invest a significant amount of time and energy into this because I think its the single most important thing I can do for myself, and starting in July I'm going to be better poised to accomplish it than I have ever been. A schedule change at work means I'll be consistently sleeping at night for the first time in years. That's going to be a huge boost in general health and hormone regulation right there, along with eating at more appropriate times of the day. I'm planning on "grazing" every few hours and getting in multiple, small meals a day. Breakfast (after a workout to aid in fat loss), lunch, dinner, and snacks in between them. I believe I'm going to finally fully commit to eating strictly Paleo through July as well, so I have two weeks to get some meal plans together and source what I need.

Guess that's all for now. I'll follow up with a proposed schedule later.

idahobob
06-25-2014, 02:44 PM
I have two questions for everyone participating on this thread.

What is your favorite exercise to do?

What is the exercise that you loathe the most but still include in your program?

For me, the answers are obvious........My favorite exercise is the dead lift. The one that I loathe, but still do anyhow is situps.:cool:

Bob
III

helomech
06-25-2014, 03:10 PM
I really like everything but leg day. I hate leg day, but I never miss it.

2die4
07-02-2014, 02:39 AM
2Die4... I could use some help developing a plan.

Not a problem comrade. I'll send you some forms tomorrow. This will give me an idea of what you have available to you,budget, etc.

I'm thinking to use Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" program as part of the strength, power, and hypertrophy training because it teaches proper form and details how to progress.

This is actually an excellent program and starts the beginner at the basics. Mass is put on quickly and along with it comes decent fat loss. I say fat loss and not weight loss because the scale will climb but your pants will become looser if you do it right. I also highly suggest to look over the proper techniques on how to do each olympic lift on youtube. Watch several to get the motions down pat. To teach yourself Range of Motion (ROM) and muscle memory, get yourself about six feet of pvc pipe from home depot and use that as your "barbell" to practice as you watch the videos. Another key component is to SCALE THE WEIGHT BACK! At least for the first couple of weeks until your body is used to the motions and bends of the lifts. Again it all leads to ROM. Last but not least, Don't get into a pissing contest with other people in your gym either. That guy may be out lifting you but you will get there and you will do it safely and pain free.

I also want to include the MI Coalition of Law Enforcement Standards http://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,4607,7-229--147713--,00.html physical requirements for professional reasons. Its pushups, situps, vertical jump, and a 1/2 mile shuttle run. I think they, and some support exercises for them, should fit right in with his methodology.

Outside of this I'm thinking I'd like to be able to run 4 miles, ruck long distance, and do some combatives training.

This is rather easy to do. Incorporating the LEO test as your cardio day in between strength training will do wonders for the results.A few hip flexor exercises will take care of your run time and situps along with burpees and box jumps.

I believe I'm going to finally fully commit to eating strictly Paleo through July as well, so I have two weeks to get some meal plans together and source what I need.

While doing Paleo the right way, Your body will hate you for about 3-4 days if your strict about near zero carbs. It takes about that long for your body to wean itself off the "crack carbs" Paleo diets are awesome but expensive and you should really only do it in cycles IMHO. Your body needs carbs for muscle building believe it or not. Keeping the nutritional balance right will allow you to keep the weight off. If you balance it the right way you'll be amazed at your energy levels in the gym and outside of it.

mitunnelrat
07-02-2014, 04:31 AM
Wow! Thanks!

Lots going on for info just in this post!
In particular I hadn't thought to replicate the movements while watching a video. If I don't have any PVC in the garage or go buy some. That or have a more practical use for my 6' fighting staff for a bit ;)

I definitely never would have thought to do the MCOLES training on a cardio day.

Its the same with my diet. I never considered cycling it at all.

Interesting. Thanks dude!

ak474u
07-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Wow! Thanks!

Lots going on for info just in this post!
In particular I hadn't thought to replicate the movements while watching a video. If I don't have any PVC in the garage or go buy some. That or have a more practical use for my 6' fighting staff for a bit ;)

I definitely never would have thought to do the MCOLES training on a cardio day.

Its the same with my diet. I never considered cycling it at all.

Interesting. Thanks dude!

I was gonna do crossfit, but I've developed my own program, I call it farm fit. Bending, lifting, shoveling, cutting, weeding, harvesting, hiking up my big ass hill to carry tools up there to work, and remembering that i forgot critical stuff and walking all 136 feet back to the house to get it and hiking back up. My program also includes a higher than average rate of bitching and moaning.

bacpacker
07-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Well sit AK, there is a program I can claim membership in. I always knew I belonged somewhere.

mitunnelrat
02-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Since its winter time, how are y'all doing with moving around? I let my gym membership lapse because physical activity over the summer and into fall saw some good gains. Now I'm crying about it and getting up at 4 am to do some calisthenics before work.

helomech
02-18-2015, 01:29 AM
I have been hitting the gym hard for over a year now. Try to never miss more than one day a week. Karate is going great also. Did a lot of body conditioning tonight (hitting each other). We took turns hitting each other in the solo plex, kicking each other in the stomach, sides, arms, hitting shins, and calves together. Man that stuff hurts.

mitunnelrat
02-19-2015, 10:51 PM
There is an mma gym in my area now. Its on my agenda for the future. I think I need more consistency in strength and conditioning first though

Sniper-T
02-19-2015, 11:02 PM
I have settled into lethargy. until this cold snap breaks, there's not much I can do outside without wrecking everything (I tried my snowshoes on the weekend and they just broke in 3 places, shovelling the deck the indestructible plastic shovel shattered.) I'll keep working my 14 your days and continue the diet until it won't cost me more to do something than not.

... Spring is only 2 months away!

jamesneuen
02-20-2015, 12:03 AM
Well, right now is the perfect time to begin working out down here as it is in comfortable temps to be active outside and here I am being broken. Trying to get the clearance to start at least a little cardio tomorrow. We shall see though, I doubt the doctor will let me start this early.

mitunnelrat
02-24-2015, 10:08 PM
https://www.t-nation.com/training/11-myths-of-warrior-training

Interesting article I ran across the other day, figured I'd share. MMA has a lot of rules, but they're definitely in shape, mostly.

Sniper-T
02-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Awesome link!

helomech
02-25-2015, 10:14 PM
I don't like training MMA and tournaments because they teach you not to hit certain areas. You train how you fight. I don't want to train not hitting any spot I can. There is a reason they kick high in MMA and Tournaments. It is because you can't hit them in the nuts.

mitunnelrat
02-25-2015, 10:36 PM
I understand that. Its not so much the fighting skills and techniques that caught my eye as it is what he said about conditioning and fitness. I think there's something that can be learned or we can be inspired by in everything, whether it be mma, karate, or the animal kingdom.

helomech
02-25-2015, 11:08 PM
yes indeed. I wish I had the time to join more than just the one I am in.

Sniper-T
02-25-2015, 11:12 PM
Ditto!

You can set up a heavy bag and 'cross-train' how you want. I've been in my share of scraps (in my youth), and outside a bar, or behind the gym at recess, there is only one rule... WIN! As with life! In University a group of us would get together each week in one of the gyms for some hand to hand... we had everything from karate, juijitsu, taikwando, taichi, kickboxers, boxers, street fighters, you name it. We were all friends so we had ONE rule... Don't fuck up your buddy! We had some awesome tourneys, round robin draw. We taught each other a lot... and learnt a lot!

I was an untrained street fighter style, and while I'd like to say I won them all, I seriously got my ass handed to me on many occasions!! But I placed in the money more than my share.

bottom line:
Any kind of knowledge/training is good

IMO

2die4
03-05-2015, 06:38 AM
Well at work today I gave one of my workers my building access card to get in and out as he was hauling trash out. Well he forgot to give me my card back thus locking me out of the gym two buildings over. I was just going to skip working out today but said no. I pulled out my jump rope went out into the hall and started working out.

100 jump ropes

3 rounds of:
30 pushups
40 situps
50 air squats

once the 3 rounds were up I did a 100 more times with the jump rope.

It took me 18:26 to finish but by the end I was breathing hard and sweating like a fat kid. I'm still feeling the effects of it as I type this. Keep in mind I usually am doing my workouts with weights. Didn't think I'd be tuckered out.

Sniper-T
03-05-2015, 06:50 AM
Atta fat kid! have a smartie!

good on ya dude... it's too easy to say f-it and take the day/week/month off.

You ROCK!!!

Sniper-T
03-14-2015, 02:56 AM
I have settled into lethargy. until this cold snap breaks, there's not much I can do outside without wrecking everything (I tried my snowshoes on the weekend and they just broke in 3 places, shovelling the deck the indestructible plastic shovel shattered.) I'll keep working my 14 your days and continue the diet until it won't cost me more to do something than not.

... Spring is only 2 months away!

I just noticed this... MTR, are you dyslexic, or what? you both liked and disliked this post.

I am so confused!

mitunnelrat
03-14-2015, 03:06 AM
Lol. I fixed it

Sniper-T
03-14-2015, 03:11 AM
whew.... I was so surprised to see that 'dislike' especially not related to a cat post!

lol

mitunnelrat
03-14-2015, 03:27 AM
Had to be phone related. I despise touch screens

Sniper-T
03-14-2015, 03:43 AM
I completely understand! I hate touch cats!

Domeguy
03-21-2015, 01:33 AM
I'm gonna touch you!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/gantsum/19ebab7e71662ba32dc8b3a81cca7a15_zps8c7c90f9.jpg

Seemed appropriate here, not quite MMA, but close.

Sniper-T
03-22-2015, 09:13 PM
rofl!

Awesome!

mitunnelrat
04-29-2015, 03:10 AM
So... I actually did quit smoking last weekend. Its been over 72 hours since my last cigarette. Ditto my last swallow of soda. I'm still drinking coffee, but only as needed. I'm not gonna fight nicotine and caffeine withdrawals at the same time.

I am also under an individual alcohol prohibition until further notice, but no less than 30 days. Since I need go abstain for a real shot at not smoking I am going to take the time to clean my entire diet up. Ive been eating almost entirely Paleo the past 3 days, and I am already down 5 pounds in two days.

Morning calisthenics continue, though I am a new convert to the ab wheel. Damn thing is brutally effective, and hits parts of my abs I didn't know existed.

Anyway. not smoking equals more ammo... eating better and avoiding alcohol is going to be even better. I am aiming for a banner year in personal development this year, and (oh yeah). Defined abs too ;)

Sniper-T
04-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Good luck MTR. Huge undertaking!

mitunnelrat
04-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Indeed it is, but I know I can do it because I have before. It was dumb to ever slack off. I'll tell you too, I'm feeling pretty good.

jamesneuen
04-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Huge step toward being prepared for almost anything. Add nicotine withdrawal to any disaster setting and it makes it even worse. We go out for a month or 2 at a time on the boat and if the guys who smoke don't bring enough to last between port calls they are ready to kill their own mother to get one by day 2.

helomech
04-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Awesome job mitunnelrat. I quit smoking December 1st 2010, and gave up sodas (coke) a year ago January. It gets easier, and it is well worth it.

Socalman
04-29-2015, 02:32 PM
About 20 years ago I dropped 41 pounds. I started most of it just following the Atkins diet (low carb). After a few months I began riding my bicycle a bit more. I was doing well at keeping it off, joined a gym and was in very good shape. My diet was no longer low carb, I just ate sensible amounts. About 9 years ago I was injured with concussion and as an after event, stopped going to the gym or doing much other physical work. I started putting some of the pounds back on but not real fast, it happened slowly. A little over 6 years ago I had a battle of sciatica that was so bad it kept me from being able to walk at all. At first it was diagnosed as a muscle spasm and the doctors were giving me muscle relaxers and trying to get me into physical therapy. The therapist did not understand why I was sent to her as I could do nothing. After about 6 weeks it was properly diagnosed but then I was hospitalized for blood clots that had developed due to my inactivity. I had them in my leg and both lungs. By percentage, I should have died, but God was not ready for me yet. However, all thoughts of eating correctly and exercising were gone. I was back in the bad eating habits and began to put the pounds on. When I tipped the scale at 202, I decided it was time to get back in some decent shape.

I cut down on my portions and though not following the Atkins or Zone highly carb-restrictive diets I have gotten my fat gut down. My energy level is back and I am thinking about getting back to a gym. My goal is to be back to 175 by Sept. 1. At least if I have to hoof it home from work, I am pretty sure I can cover the 43 miles in a few days. Yes, I have enough in my GHB to sustain me.

mitunnelrat
04-29-2015, 05:33 PM
I have "fond" memories of lengthy field exercises and no smokes. Bribery. Coercion. Price gouging. The works.

Helo, I've quit for well over a year before on the smokes, just under that on soda before. Knowing it gets easier is a plus. Whats killed it for me in my last few attempts is thinking I can drink without one. Um. Nope. Just call me Mr. Clean for a bit I suppose.

What I really need to watch right now though is food. I have been the king of convenience foods and boredom bingeing. Another week or so and I should have a solid base down though.

Socal, awesome! Congrats

helomech
04-29-2015, 07:00 PM
I won't drink around someone that is smoking even 5 years after I quit. I think I would give in if I was drunk.