PDA

View Full Version : EMT Training

Twitchy
05-01-2012, 11:25 PM
I start my EMT Training next august, running for the year and take my state certification exams july 2013... Does anyone else here have any medical credentials?

*just the first certs in a line of them before i enter my career... (Firefighting / Paramedic)

piranha2
05-02-2012, 12:11 AM
You go get them young fella. Lots of future ahead of you.

The Stig
05-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Good luck to you Verstang. Always an exciting time to strike out into a new chapter in life.

Let us know how the colony can help you and don't forget to share the knowledge you learn with us (when prepping appropriate).

Twitchy
05-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Good luck to you Verstang. Always an exciting time to strike out into a new chapter in life.

Let us know how the colony can help you and don't forget to share the knowledge you learn with us (when prepping appropriate).

Will do! thanks to you and piranha!

IDTANDY
05-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Good job to do, are you a Fire Fighter?

Let mine expire long ago EMT,Paramedic got them early throgh the AF both Emt and Paramedic, National Registry from the start,challanged the State tests when needed.

Twitchy
05-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Good job to do, are you a Fire Fighter?

Let mine expire long ago EMT,Paramedic got them early throgh the AF both Emt and Paramedic, National Registry from the start,challanged the State tests when needed.

That is the career im looking to enter...

bacpacker
05-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Good news Vert. We're all pulling for you. Like Stig said, let us know what we can do to help.

Twitchy
05-02-2012, 01:14 AM
Good news Vert. We're all pulling for you. Like Stig said, let us know what we can do to help.

Thank you BP!

ladyhk13
05-02-2012, 03:00 AM
Are you in Orange Co?

Twitchy
05-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Nope, sarasota

realist
05-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Hay Vert is you training for an entire year? Why so long, ours out here are for a semester. I plan on attending in the fall. I let mine lapse, lets just say years ago and want to get updated. The problem is now it is an "EMS Academy" and I don't know if I really want to deal with that end of the spectrum. I guess it should be interesting, I guess I will be the old guy.........

Grumpy Old Man
05-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Good on both you and Realist Vert! You are not only assets to us but also to your communities! We're all pulling for you guys!

Twitchy
05-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks grumpy!!

realist, im doing mine while im still in high school so it is reduced hours (3-4 a day) and i have to take the prerequisites as well... I'll be state certified after i graduate and do my practical...

ladyhk13
05-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Nope, sarasota

Ah...lived in Bradenton and worked (at SMH) and went to school (LMT) in Sarasota. Loved going shopping at St. Armands Circle. Good on ya for starting all this while you are still in high school. Keep us updated on how things are going and what you are learning, there are a lot of medical people here.

Twitchy
05-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Ah...lived in Bradenton and worked (at SMH) and went to school (LMT) in Sarasota. Loved going shopping at St. Armands Circle. Good on ya for starting all this while you are still in high school. Keep us updated on how things are going and what you are learning, there are a lot of medical people here.

ha... no kidding! how long ago were you in the area? and thank you!

ladyhk13
05-03-2012, 12:58 AM
ha... no kidding! how long ago were you in the area? and thank you!

Left in '03 (you were probably still in Kindergarten!!!).

Twitchy
05-03-2012, 01:30 AM
Left in '03 (you were probably still in Kindergarten!!!).

3rd grade... Im a bit older than 13/14 haha

mitunnelrat
05-03-2012, 09:21 PM
3rd grade... Im a bit older than 13/14 haha

Really? I wouldn't have guessed! ;) :p

Twitchy
05-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Really? I wouldn't have guessed! ;) :p

hehehe...

And i got some great news today! Apparently, despite this state being completely FUBAR in a hundred different aspects, at 18 years old I can also enroll in the Paramedic Course... so once i finish EMT I'll be spending the extra 3500 bucks to get my Paramedic certification along side everything else... increases my knowledge and the pay is much better!

piranha2
05-04-2012, 12:20 AM
You go get it grasshopper. The world is your oyster...........Whatever the hell that means.

bacpacker
05-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Always good to have a plan Vert. GOOD ON YOU!

Twitchy
05-04-2012, 12:41 AM
thank you Piranha and BP! Both jobs will give me critically important skills for prepping!

IDTANDY
05-04-2012, 04:17 PM
hehehe...

And i got some great news today! Apparently, despite this state being completely FUBAR in a hundred different aspects, at 18 years old I can also enroll in the Paramedic Course... so once i finish EMT I'll be spending the extra 3500 bucks to get my Paramedic certification along side everything else... increases my knowledge and the pay is much better!

Way to go.:cool:
If the time arises that you need advise on Heart Rhythms feel free to ask.
Can point you in the right direction for study guides.

Twitchy
05-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Way to go.:cool:
If the time arises that you need advise on Heart Rhythms feel free to ask.
Can point you in the right direction for study guides.

Thanks a bunch! I'll keep that in mind!

apssbc
05-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Vert congrats on getting into your career. I have been firefighting since I turned 18...thats six years ago now ;) I was a fire explorer from the time I was 12 to I got hired on the fire dept. Ive been a medic now for 4 years and was a basic for two before that. I also am a tactical medic, and am currently being considered for a command spot at my department. I do Fire at a busy paid on call dept, and am full time for a Municipal EMS system. Its the best job on earth in my opinion, and you should stand a decent shot of getting on a full time fire dept due to Florida still hiring those positions unlike here.

In my opinion get your medic right away, you will stand a better chance at getting a job with it. Also dont stop there get a degree because alot of depts are looking for that now.

Sounds like your on the right track in life. You remind me of how I started. The skill will be a huge help post shtf and even in every day life. PM me your info if you want, I can help you if you need it when your going through class. Just let me know. Good luck brother!

Twitchy
05-10-2012, 11:35 AM
thanks apssbc! I really appreciate it!

realist
05-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Vert I know it is probably a long time off but when you are done with the paramedic training you might consider taking a look at some of the tactical medic training schools (TEMS) that are around. They are a step up and will make you more marketable. The are a bunch of good programs. Good luck

Twitchy
05-10-2012, 02:37 PM
What exactly are they?

eagle326
05-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Vert you need to gain all the knowledge as soon as you can because I think ( THE Bar & Grill ) is going to need your talents. :D Myself included.
Of course most of us will probably want to pay you in food and drinks when you're of legal age. Until then food and soda ; milk ; water ; tea.

Vodin
05-30-2012, 10:53 PM
I start my EMT Training next august, running for the year and take my state certification exams july 2013... Does anyone else here have any medical credentials?

*just the first certs in a line of them before i enter my career... (Firefighting / Paramedic)

I actually was pondering on that as well. I own my own business (been running for 14 years) and here comes the big BUT. If the SHTF I will need to know some needed basics to make myself valuable. I have checked out a few community colleges with the Certs.

Questions
1 How much are you able to 'legally' able to do. Or what are you not taught that would be needed?
2 If I understand correctly it is only 2 semesters. Is that correct?

Twitchy
05-31-2012, 12:36 PM
I actually was pondering on that as well. I own my own business (been running for 14 years) and here comes the big BUT. If the SHTF I will need to know some needed basics to make myself valuable. I have checked out a few community colleges with the Certs.

Questions
1 How much are you able to 'legally' able to do. Or what are you not taught that would be needed?
2 If I understand correctly it is only 2 semesters. Is that correct?

Legally, I'm not sure of what exactly can be done... there's another member that does know that to my knowledge though...

Full time classes take about that, plus your EMT-B prior to paramedic...

IDTANDY
05-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Florida has a good samaritan law,you render care according to your level of training.
EMT,EMT-B and EMT-P are individual courses,Your Certs come from the state or at the national level.

Twitchy
08-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Well, Into my first week and have my first test on thursday! We are required to take Health Sciences I & II before EMT, local requirement. We have one of the best EMT/Medic programs in the state and rank high in the national level as well so it is more work, but I will be coming out a better EMT/Medic. At least, that is how it should happen. lol. I'll periodically update the thread as I move on through the course as well!

bacpacker
08-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Sounds like you are right on track Twitchy. Good job!

Twitchy
08-22-2012, 09:33 PM
I like to think so BP!

apssbc
08-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Congrats man! Im sure youll do fine, if you need anything shoot me a PM

Twitchy
08-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Congrats man! Im sure youll do fine, if you need anything shoot me a PM

Thanks! Will do! It sure is nice to have resources here if I have any questions!

piranha2
08-23-2012, 02:05 AM
Good job Twitchy. We may need your services in the MAG, so learn well my friend.

Gearhead
08-23-2012, 02:13 AM
Congratulations, brosif.
If you want some advice, when you get called to go somewhere, and the person just has a paper cut, say "Ma'am, you're going into shock. What is today? No, today is applesauce. Stay still. You might attract dinosaurs. "

Sent from my BRODEVICE using MobileBro2

Twitchy
08-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Good job Twitchy. We may need your services in the MAG, so learn well my friend.

hehehe, will do!

Congratulations, brosif.
If you want some advice, when you get called to go somewhere, and the person just has a paper cut, say "Ma'am, you're going into shock. What is today? No, today is applesauce. Stay still. You might attract dinosaurs. "

Sent from my BRODEVICE using MobileBro2

Yeah... That actually happens... lol... Frequent flyers are always fun to deal with!

Twitchy
09-01-2012, 04:24 AM
2 tests and 2 quizzes later, I am left with 3 100's and a 91... So apparently studying does pay off! looking for all A's and so far its working!

Lots of work though, not as hard as i was expecting... just straight up hours of homework, studying, and research...

The Stig
09-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Hard work and preparations pays off?

No way.

ETA: Keep up the good work Twitchy.

eagle326
09-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Way to go Twitchy!! Keep up the hard work and it'll pay off in the end.

On a side note :
Sure glad you're learning all this. Because between Grumpy & Sniper over at the saloon I'm pretty sure we're going to need some of you talents. :p

4suchatimeasthis
09-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Wow, Great job, Twitchy!!! Not that i'm surprised, you are a bright guy. Keep up the good work!

Twitchy
09-01-2012, 07:04 PM
lol, thanks guys! and eagle, you are NOT kidding!!!

bacpacker
09-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Excellent work Twitchy. Keep it up Bub.

Echo2
09-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Outstanding!!

m4gery
09-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Congrats on the good scores!

I've been a paramedic now for ten years, love this job! I know others have said to start medic school as soon as possible. You know what works best for you (learning style, willingness to go back to school etc.), and another poster was right about it being easier to find a job with a medic licence instead of EMT, but I think I'd recommend trying to get at least a little field experience before starting medic school. Last time I saw numbers, EMS had about a 70% burn out rate in the first five years.

Trust me, medic school makes EMT look like a liesurely stroll through the park. I'm not saying this to be discouraging at all, like I said, I love this job. But with medic school, you've got 2-3 semesters of pure, unadulturated scholastic HELL, plus litterally hundreds, maybe thousands of hours of clinical time. The last thing you want is to go through all that effort, and then decide you don't like this job. I've seen people who have taken both options. So far, most of the best medics I've seen had a couple years experience before going on to medic. Also, if there is any family/spouse/significant others involved, make sure they understand the extreme stress of school. I've personally seen more than one divorce over medic school. That being said, my wife and I did fine, because she knew what to expect beforehand.

Best of luck whatever path you choose, and if there's any way I can be helpful, send me a message.

Twitchy
09-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Congrats on the good scores!

I've been a paramedic now for ten years, love this job! I know others have said to start medic school as soon as possible. You know what works best for you (learning style, willingness to go back to school etc.), and another poster was right about it being easier to find a job with a medic licence instead of EMT, but I think I'd recommend trying to get at least a little field experience before starting medic school. Last time I saw numbers, EMS had about a 70% burn out rate in the first five years.

Trust me, medic school makes EMT look like a liesurely stroll through the park. I'm not saying this to be discouraging at all, like I said, I love this job. But with medic school, you've got 2-3 semesters of pure, unadulturated scholastic HELL, plus litterally hundreds, maybe thousands of hours of clinical time. The last thing you want is to go through all that effort, and then decide you don't like this job. I've seen people who have taken both options. So far, most of the best medics I've seen had a couple years experience before going on to medic. Also, if there is any family/spouse/significant others involved, make sure they understand the extreme stress of school. I've personally seen more than one divorce over medic school. That being said, my wife and I did fine, because she knew what to expect beforehand.

Best of luck whatever path you choose, and if there's any way I can be helpful, send me a message.

Thanks for the helpful words! I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'll stick to being an EMT / FF for a few years before going to medic school...That as more than one benefit to me...

Twitchy
10-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Update, first quarter final grade of a 94.2, not bad if I must say... Onto the fun nights of homework for anatomy and physiology now! hehehe!

In other news, I have scheduled my first ride along with the County Fire department for next month on a rescue truck!

robsdak
10-25-2012, 03:25 PM
congrats on your score... and have fun on the ride along... you know what i mean. :o

shoeglue
10-25-2012, 05:30 PM
whew congrats on going to emt school! Its a rewarding career if you can deal with all the BS that comes along with it, and trust me...There is ALOT of it XD

I've been working as a EMT for about a year and a half now and I enjoy the work. The skills you learn will most def be useful in a SHTF situation- not just the physical skills but also the mental aspect of keeping calm. I wish you all the best luck with it.

Twitchy
10-25-2012, 09:56 PM
whew congrats on going to emt school! Its a rewarding career if you can deal with all the BS that comes along with it, and trust me...There is ALOT of it XD

I've been working as a EMT for about a year and a half now and I enjoy the work. The skills you learn will most def be useful in a SHTF situation- not just the physical skills but also the mental aspect of keeping calm. I wish you all the best luck with it.

I completely agree!

ldsparamedic
10-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Congratulations! I have been in the fire/ems business for 21 years, the last 16 as a Paramedic. I am currently a career Paramedic/EMS Captain. Good luck and if you have any questions, just ask them.

Twitchy
10-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks a bunch!

Buddychrist
10-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Hey twitchy are you also on the ZS? I am following a very similar thread over there.

I was talking about watching for the signs of bulging lumbar discs over there and it helped a few members.

For anyone that doesn't know watching for lumbar injuries is critical. If I would have caught my injury earlier I would have been back to work as a firefighter instead of losing my career.

Watch for pressure, stinging pain, repetitive pain and numbness in your legs, increased pressure and soreness in your back, and radiating pain down your legs. If you have any of those signs go directly to a chiropractor and get it checked on. EMS or any heavy lifting career with ignoring signs of bulged or shattered discs can very well ruin your life.

Hope this helps guys!

Twitchy
10-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks! Ill keep that in mind. Nope, not on ZS...

greg48
01-10-2013, 08:26 PM
in a real SHTF world, any medical profession will be a very valuable commodity...

Twitchy
01-12-2013, 01:00 AM
very true greg!

Start the academy monday, is it bad the uniform cost me as much as the course itself did?

realist
05-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Hey Twichy how is class going? I finished my EMT skills final on Saturday and then the written was last night. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is not a train. Now on to the National Registry. I am amazed at how much time I had to spend over the last few months. Now I have to get back to things I have neglected.

Twitchy
05-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Hey Twichy how is class going? I finished my EMT skills final on Saturday and then the written was last night. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is not a train. Now on to the National Registry. I am amazed at how much time I had to spend over the last few months. Now I have to get back to things I have neglected.

My written exam is tomorrow afternoon, and my final practical is next week... then on to Ride Time... 2 weeks after that, graduate, and we have the National Registry test!

realist
05-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Good luck. We had out skills final before our written final. Our skills knowledge help big time with the test. We have been told if we have over an 80% throughout the course then the National Registry should not be a problem. I am still going to spend a week studying before I take the test.

Twitchy
05-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Good luck. We had out skills final before our written final. Our skills knowledge help big time with the test. We have been told if we have over an 80% throughout the course then the National Registry should not be a problem. I am still going to spend a week studying before I take the test.

Heh, we have to have an 80 in the class or else we get dropped... fail 3 tests, dropped...

Ended up with an 87% on the final written exam... skills final is next week... Can't wait to go start riding!

bacpacker
05-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Good news Twitchy. Congrats

Twitchy
05-24-2013, 12:16 AM
Good news Twitchy. Congrats

Thanks! I am finishing up here and on to Fire School I go July 6th...

Twitchy
05-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Yahoo!! Finished the class today! now onto the fun parts! Clinicals, and the State / National Test!!!

mitunnelrat
05-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Congrats Twitchy!

bacpacker
05-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Great job Twitchy.

Twitchy
05-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks!

realist
05-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Congrats. I was told if you have over 80% through our class then the test should not be too bad. One of our guys yesterday posted he only had 69 questions which is great. For those that are not aware of how they test. The fewer questions you are given and answer correctly the better. The most questions you can get on this test is 150. I will be taking mine next week. Good luck I will let you know how it is. If you are going to study make sure you go over the child birth section and its complications.

Twitchy
06-05-2013, 05:51 AM
Congrats. I was told if you have over 80% through our class then the test should not be too bad. One of our guys yesterday posted he only had 69 questions which is great. For those that are not aware of how they test. The fewer questions you are given and answer correctly the better. The most questions you can get on this test is 150. I will be taking mine next week. Good luck I will let you know how it is. If you are going to study make sure you go over the child birth section and its complications.

IIRC they changed the test recently because my buddy who took the test had 3 questions on child birth. lol...

is that 150 questions to pass the exam? or in total?

Stormfeather
06-05-2013, 01:30 PM
2 tests and 2 quizzes later, I am left with 3 100's and a 91... So apparently studying does pay off! looking for all A's and so far its working!

Lots of work though, not as hard as i was expecting... just straight up hours of homework, studying, and research...

Im going thru the same thing right now with my Homeland security degree Im working on in Law enforcement, not really hard to do, but takes lots and lots of studying.

Twitchy
06-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Update, I'll be delaying my fire academy plans so i can be better prepared for the test...

Twitchy
06-18-2013, 03:27 AM
yikes... Today I had a call that, as they say, went south quickly... First Cardiac Arrest... and boy was it an interesting one...

Stormfeather
06-19-2013, 04:39 AM
Sounds like a rough day, just remember to detach at the end of the day. A local VFD buddy just had his worse call ever, Vehicle accident with 2 DOA little kids. Spent the better half of the day talking him thru it. Hes actually sleeping in the next room right now since he didnt want to go home.

ditchmedic
06-19-2013, 06:03 AM
Twitchy, it's nice to read through this thread as I remember having a similar one on a gun forum a few years ago. I see you showing the same excitement I did.

2 years as an EMT in a busy 911 system and 4 months left of Medic class for me.

It truly is the best job!

apssbc
06-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Sorry to hear you had a rough call man. Best way I have learned to handle these things (for me) is to talk it out with friends, preferably who are in the ems field. People who arent in the field may not understand. I also listen to music alot.

What you need to remember the most while on these runs is that its not your emergency, your doing the very best you can and you cannot save everyone. Hell you are always going to loose more than you save and that can wear on you. However the first time you save the near baby drowning, or shock someone back to life it becomes worth every dead body, lost patient, and messed up thing we see. Its a rough career but its the greatest job on earth.

If you need anything give me a holler to talk.

Ditchmedic congrats on Medic class!

Twitchy
06-20-2013, 04:24 AM
Sorry to hear you had a rough call man. Best way I have learned to handle these things (for me) is to talk it out with friends, preferably who are in the ems field. People who arent in the field may not understand. I also listen to music alot.

What you need to remember the most while on these runs is that its not your emergency, your doing the very best you can and you cannot save everyone. Hell you are always going to loose more than you save and that can wear on you. However the first time you save the near baby drowning, or shock someone back to life it becomes worth every dead body, lost patient, and messed up thing we see. Its a rough career but its the greatest job on earth.

If you need anything give me a holler to talk.

Ditchmedic congrats on Medic class!

Thanks man! I appreciate that! There is nothing more true than talking it out, it really does help... 2 of my classmates not only had an ROSC the same day, but the guy was talking less than 60 minutes after they brought him to the ER... simple miracle for the guy...

Twitchy
08-15-2013, 12:17 AM
The training continues... I'll be entering Paramedic School, and the associated Associates Degree program in January 2014, provided everything goes as planned!!!

bacpacker
08-15-2013, 01:14 AM
Glad to hear Twitchy. Sounds like things are going well for you.

Twitchy
08-15-2013, 01:20 AM
Glad to hear Twitchy. Sounds like things are going well for you.

thanks BP! they are at this point at least... lol...

Twitchy
09-24-2013, 06:50 AM
I am proud to announce that I passed my NREMT test, and am OFFICIALLY a Florida EMT-B!

Fidel MD
09-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Congrats!

bacpacker
09-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Way to go Twitchy!

Twitchy
09-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Way to go Twitchy!

Thanks!

Congrats!

Thank you!

apssbc
09-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Congrats brother...I'm very happy for ya!

Twitchy
09-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Congrats brother...I'm very happy for ya!

Thanks!

realist
09-26-2013, 03:24 AM
Having just completed the EMT last semester I can only imagine the amount of time you put in. There are lots of good jobs out there so pick wisely and good luck.

ditchmedic
09-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Congrats Twitchy. Now when does Medic class start?

Twitchy
09-27-2013, 02:07 AM
Congrats Twitchy. Now when does Medic class start?

Well, since I missed the A&P class for the February class not until at least august 2014... I also got my State license to practice today!

2die4
09-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Well, since I missed the A&P class for the February class not until at least august 2014... I also got my State license to practice today!

Congrats on the license!

Twitchy
09-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Congrats on the license!

Thank you!

Twitchy
12-26-2013, 04:22 AM
So some surprising news. It seems i may be able to get into the February medic class after all!

ditchmedic
12-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Good news! The only advice I can offer, is when it comes to Cardiolody, break everything down by rate and regularity.

Then you're only choosing between a couple rhythms.

Twitchy
01-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Well. Signed up and paid for the first parts of medic school! Medic school here I come!!!

bacpacker
01-15-2014, 11:46 PM
Glad to hear it Twitchy! Sounds like things are moving along nicely. Great Job!

Twitchy
04-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Good news! The only advice I can offer, is when it comes to Cardiolody, break everything down by rate and regularity.

Then you're only choosing between a couple rhythms.

We are getting into EKG's more in depth now, and this advice is pretty much golden... It simplifies it so much!

In other news, we started to do our first intubations on mannequins today!

ElevenBravo
04-11-2014, 08:25 AM
I pulled 6 years as EMT-A and NR-EMT-A... I think now days, they call someone with these certifications "driver", but in the mid 80's Paramedics were not that common on an all volunteer rescue squad.

I was most proud of my NR cert! That test was not easy!

Congrats, and study, study, study!

EB

Twitchy
04-11-2014, 10:34 PM
I pulled 6 years as EMT-A and NR-EMT-A... I think now days, they call someone with these certifications "driver", but in the mid 80's Paramedics were not that common on an all volunteer rescue squad.

I was most proud of my NR cert! That test was not easy!

Congrats, and study, study, study!

EB

Hey, Currently I am the glorified ambulance driver... At least AEMT's and EMT-A can start IV's

ElevenBravo
04-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Not in my day:

EMT-A (Ambulance) - Everything but IVs and Cardiac & intubate & EOA
EMT-ST (Shock Trauma) Everything but Cardiac & intubate
EMT-C (Cardiac Tech) Everything
EMT-P (Paramagic) Everything above, plus a few more things, plus there patch glows in the dark and they can part water.

EB

Twitchy
04-15-2014, 01:39 AM
Not in my day:

EMT-A (Ambulance) - Everything but IVs and Cardiac & intubate & EOA
EMT-ST (Shock Trauma) Everything but Cardiac & intubate
EMT-C (Cardiac Tech) Everything
EMT-P (Paramagic) Everything above, plus a few more things, plus there patch glows in the dark and they can part water.

EB

Haha, didn't know that! Doesn't sound too different from the current system...

Katrina
04-28-2014, 04:45 AM
Twitchy,
Haven't been on for a while but belated congrats to you.

Twitchy
04-29-2014, 05:07 AM
Twitchy,
Haven't been on for a while but belated congrats to you.

Thanks, and welcome back!

In other news, we got to stick each other today... Ouch.....

Katrina
05-03-2014, 05:10 AM
Practicing to be a vampire are we? Have fun it gets easier after awhile.

Stormfeather
05-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Twitchy, you should come up here for a weekend! We do sticks every time a group of us gets together! Its a perishable skills, and you have to keep it up or lose it!

Twitchy
05-13-2014, 03:33 AM
Twitchy, you should come up here for a weekend! We do sticks every time a group of us gets together! Its a perishable skills, and you have to keep it up or lose it!

haha, Ill keep it in mind for sure!

izzyscout21
05-15-2014, 05:48 PM

would this stick training happen to occur because of a hangover? :)

ditchmedic
05-17-2014, 08:51 AM
would this stick training happen to occur because of a hangover? :)

I do this more than I should lol

Twitchy
05-31-2014, 04:26 AM
I do this more than I should lol

Ugh. IV's Im 0/2 on them so far... Any tips?

ditchmedic
06-02-2014, 01:47 AM
Ugh. IV's Im 0/2 on them so far... Any tips?

Pull the skin tight. Veins only roll cause you're not holding traction properly.

Here is the big one. When you see a flash, don't get excited. The needle is in but the catheter probably isn't. Advance a little more. Remember: the needle is longer than the catheter.

If youre missing them, see part one.

If you're blowing them, skip to part 2.

And for a bonus, start distal (hand) and work up. Save the AC for last ditch, trauma, and adenosine.

ditchmedic
06-02-2014, 01:51 AM
Also, we you starr hitting IV's regularly, starring practicing finding a suitable vein in under 20 seconds.

Twitchy
06-02-2014, 02:54 AM
Also, we you starr hitting IV's regularly, starring practicing finding a suitable vein in under 20 seconds.

Read both posts, I think i have an issue with finding a suitable vein, and then watching it disappear when i pull traction.

ditchmedic
06-02-2014, 10:48 PM
Read both posts, I think i have an issue with finding a suitable vein, and then watching it disappear when i pull traction.

Pull straight back. It may disappear. Hitting veins that you can't see is more useful than hitting ones you can. Itll take time. I still miss. Some days I can hit the hardest veins, and other days I can't frop the If and hit the ground.

One other note: if you blow an EJ, never go to the other side.

Twitchy
06-05-2014, 05:40 AM
Pull straight back. It may disappear. Hitting veins that you can't see is more useful than hitting ones you can. Itll take time. I still miss. Some days I can hit the hardest veins, and other days I can't frop the If and hit the ground.

One other note: if you blow an EJ, never go to the other side.

Yeah, Well tomorrow is IV day so Ill see what happens!

Twitchy
06-04-2015, 11:01 PM
And after a total of 16 months, I am a Paramedic! This thread has been a long journey through my training... And its finally come to an end, at least until I start college for the degree portion of everything :D

bacpacker
06-05-2015, 12:32 AM
Congrats Twitchy! Glad to hear you made it in good shape.

Now to get to work.

Fidel MD
06-05-2015, 01:07 AM
Congratulations. Now be careful, paramagic leads to medical school

Twitchy
06-05-2015, 02:53 AM
Congratulations. Now be careful, paramagic leads to medical school

haha, Its funny you mention that as I have been looking at going to med school...

Sniper-T
06-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Congrats bud! That's awesome!

realist
06-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Outstanding, congratulations!! Lots of work to get where you are you will be well rewarded.

Sniper-T
06-10-2015, 10:33 PM
btw... how did IV day go?

Twitchy
06-10-2015, 11:30 PM
Oh we had IV day every Friday haha. Let's just say needles don't bother me anymore! Thanks everyone else!

Sniper-T
06-10-2015, 11:41 PM
lol. the trick to IV's... veins are rubbery, nothing else is. Close your eyes and feel the bounce back.

jamesneuen
06-11-2015, 12:11 AM
I dunno, I've met some women with pretty rubbery bits on them that were not veins......

Sniper-T
06-11-2015, 01:40 AM
lol. was thinking a more micro scale... but have to agree!

Katrina
06-13-2015, 06:20 AM
Congrats again. Good luck with the studies too