PDA

View Full Version : Have medical questions about the opposite sex? Ask here

ladyhk13
05-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Ok, we seem to have a void here for some help in answering questions for people who do not have a spouse willing to parcipitate in prepping but needs to be prepped for nonetheless. Since men are not mind readers and can only go through our cabinets with glazed eyes at 10 different boxes of tampons as Sniper T has pointed out, feel free to ask your questions (and women too for those of you who have husbands who refuse to prep) about medical/hygien subjects and hopefully we can help each other out with some answers.

Sniper, you asked about tampons (I actually thought you were single, sorry). Ok, the reason you will find so many kinds could be 1) women use different types depending upon if it's the beginning of the cycle, middle or end. If you look at her boxes you will probably see that they will say something like "lights" or "Super" or something to that effect. 2) Some women will buy what's on sale 3) Some will buy a brand to try out and find she doesn't like it so won't use the box after one month and go buy another brand the next month but keep the other one as an emergency back up just in case - she's already spent the money on them after all. Look and see what she has the most of and just buy those. Better to be on the "super" side and be safe than on the "light" side and have leaks though.

Tampons are NOT reusable. You can buy her pads to use in a pinch if she runs out of tampons or if she may have an infection and doesn't want to use them but look and see if she has any around to see what kind she would use. Most woman would not want big bulky kotex, they have some nowdays that are slimlined but still very absorbant. You are going to have to just go to the isle and read lables. Just think about how you would feel with a big bulky thing shoved between your legs all day and try to really look at the sizes and shapes on the bags. These are also non reusable.

If you are looking for something that can be used again, you will be looking for cloth. She will probably have to make them herself. You could always find good quality cotton baby diapers and she can cut them into the sizes she needs. They can be bleached so any bacteria/yeast can be taken care of. I'm sure someone else here will have some other ideas as well.

Midol...well, that question is all hormones. Shit happens. You can stock up on it though. She can't prepare for when she is going to need it. Sometimes there are good days and then there are days that you can't fit into maternity clothes and your head is pounding so hard a pin dropping will split it open. Yours is not to question why. Just is. Accept it and buy boxes.

I hope some of this helps you. I'm sorry if you felt you were being left out on the female issues but I honestly don't remember you asking about this stuff before and I always invite anyone who has a wife/girlfriend to join the Ladies Forum - I'm the Mod for it so of course I would love to see all of our members spouses join us.

Sniper-T
05-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Tx Lady. Great start. Knew about the light vx heavy thing, but why different sizes of each? I thought that her size is her size. :confused:

Just think about how you would feel with a big bulky thing shoved between your legs all day

Um, yeah... It's called being a guy...

So ladies, after the SHTF, when the stockpiles of tampons/pads are used up, what are your plans? I don't have kids, so I know nothing about diapers, and that would certainly raise a flag or three if a box of them appeared in the cupboard. I don't imagine that my stockpile of shop towels would be the first choice, and towels/clothes would also be of a limited quantity.

mollypup
05-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about what to use for periods. Just about anything will do. Washcloths, clean shop towels, paper towels, toilet paper, socks, torn-up sheets, clean rags....it's only needed for a few days and then 3 weeks off. That's where the term, "she's on the rag" came from. Women just used rags to absorb the flow. It's no big deal. Really. Start reading about herbs and teas that can be used to relieve pain (a lot of women don't even have any pain or symptoms with their periods). This knowledge will be useful for anyone who is in pain, not just menstruating women.

Baby diapers will have to be made out the same above materials. I suggest buying diaper clips or pins now, while you can still get them. And cloth diapers too. Purchasing those plastic over-the-diapers will be very useful, except they get torn easily. I would probably buy a bunch of them. Eventually you won't need them anymore and people will want to barter for them.

Women and babies for thousands of years survived without tampons, kotex or disposable diapers. Do some research on the old methods and see if you can improve them with materials you have available to you today. I have 2 girls who some day will be starting their periods. I haven't bothered to stock up on Kotex or tampons because they will run out and I assume will no longer be available. I have some old rubber raincoats that I plan to cut into strips and sew into the crotch of their underwear for when they have their periods. They will have to make do with rags and the underwear. It won't be unusual to them because that will be all that they will have known. I really think stocking up on tampons and kotex might be a waste of space, time and money since once they're all used up, they're probably gonna be gone for good. Just like toilet paper. Stock up on clean rags and soft cloth.

mollypup
05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
I don't mean to keep yapping about this, but if we have an economic collapse, EMP, get hit by a large asteroid/comet, or something really big happens that causes a world-wide disaster, our entire PARADIGM (way of thinking about things) will have to radically change and adjust to our new situation. Things like condoms, tampons, disposable diapers, midol, birth-control pills and many, MANY other things that we think we have to have in order to survive will no longer be available once the immediate supply of them is used up. It's unfortunate that we will have to do without them since they make life so much easier and healthier, but until we realize that the things we have taken for granted are no longer available we will continue to discuss stocking up on them. Yes, stock up all that you want and can of these items, just keep it in the front of your mind what your alternatives will be if and when you no longer have them.

In China, in many areas the toddlers wear "split pants" which mean their pants are totally crotchless. They're old enough to walk and can learn to go to a certain area to stand and do their business. Usually over a small hole dug into the ground. Kids can be taught this at a young age. I saw a lot of kids while in China wearing split pants. Our babies even had them on when we adopted them.

Just think outside the box and be resourceful and stop worrying so much about it. Worse comes to worse, and you and your wife are stuck inside your BOV and she starts her period without any tampons or pads then she'll just have to bleed into her pants. So what. Our society just isn't used to seeing such things anymore whereas 100 or so years ago seeing red in the crotch area of women's clothing was not unusual.

Sniper-T
05-03-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm not trying to make it a big deal Molly, and thanks for the info. But I think that the longer we can maintain our 'usual' type of routine the easier the transition would be. for instance, tampons only during the heaviest flow, and then taper to something homemade. (pads). As it is, neither of us have any issue doing our business in the bush, and have camped for 10 days after we realized that we forgot the toilet paper.

BUt particularly around here, predators are abundant. if people are dying and there is no trash/body pick up, the number of all kinds of predator will sky rocket.

As an example, often when I gut an animal, I'll take it off a distance away from my hunting 'zone' and clean it. last year, I cleaned one deer, hooked onto it behind the quad and dragged it home. Then I went back out to get my bag from where I was hunting. It total less than 20 minutes passed, and by then the gut pile was completely gone, and the bloody grass and dirt was ripped up too.

I've been inside my garage hanging a deer, and after 15 minutes gone outside to find coyote tracks in my driveway and all the blood licked off the quad.

working in the bush with a red crotch is probably not that good of an idea.

I spent some time in Columbia a while back. most kids were naked. little ones were just held at arms length (and aimed) to do their business, older ones just went wherever. But this is a country where the temperature is temperate year round. Up here, with up to 6 months of well below zero temps (typ), split pants, crotchless pants, and running around naked isn't an option. and when we would have to be heating snow to melt for water, limiting how much laundry needs to be done becomes a little more important. It takes much less effort to wash a rag pad, than it does to wash underwear, longjohns, pants, and ski pants.

mollypup
05-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I don't have 6 month below zero here, hardly even 6 minutes, so it would definitely be harder on those in colder climates to do the split pants thing. Better figure on not having your wife butcher the kills while she's on her period.....no wolves here either glad to say!

ladyhk13
05-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Yes Sniper you guys do have your own set of problems being so cold but it actually might work to your advatange. She will have to stay indoors while on her period but since it is so cold there are less chances of infection and the draw of bugs/flies from the blood. In warmer areas disease will be wider spread. I agree about not stocking up on too much tampons/kotex. Make sure however that you put some tampons in her BOB's. Keep some baby wipes around too if water is an issue where you are so she can stay clean.

IDTANDY
05-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Bear bait.

Sniper-T
05-03-2012, 06:29 PM
ROFL!!!

The tampons? Or the WIFE???

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I hope to God you meant the tampons, otherwise that poor poor bear!

IDTANDY
05-03-2012, 06:47 PM
:rolleyes:

Evolver
05-04-2012, 02:31 AM
How about DivaCups? I have read in other forums that they work well. Has any of you tried them?

ladyhk13
05-04-2012, 02:42 AM
Never heard of them. What are they?

Evolver
05-04-2012, 02:46 AM
Here is just one Diva Cup review.

So the very first TMI Tuesday was all about something us gals know too much about. Our menstrual cycles. In that post, I talked about my desire to be greener and dump the hassle that was sanitary napkins and tampons. Instead, I said I was going to use a menstrual cup. Say hello to the Diva Cup.

After that post (which was almost 2 months ago), I was anxious for my cycle to come so I could give the menstrual cup a whirl. Mind you, I am NEVER anxious for my period to come. For me, my period’s arrival means cramps from hell, lethargy, the desire to stuff my face and tummy hurtin’ gas. I have to endure all of this while keeping a smile on my face at work and during meetings. It’s the worst. Sanitary napkins didn’t make it any better because I always felt…gross and unclean. I changed them far too often and when I couldn’t, I felt….even grosser. I am happy to say that the Diva Cup has SO made my period 10x more bearable.

WARNING: I’m going to do an in-depth description and review of the Diva Cup. If you are squeamish about period talk, discussing the female anatomy or blood, you may want to leave this post.

If you’re a gangsta and still hangin’ with me, pat yourself on the back. 8) I’m going to do this review in a Q&A format for easier viewing.
How does the Diva Cup work?

Here’s how….it sits snuggly right underneath your cervix and catches your flow. Tampons can disrupt our pH balance because of the harsh cotton stuffed up there. The Diva Cup, however, is made of high quality silicone. It does not contain chlorine, dyes, colorings or additives. It is also scent-free. Give me a side eye if you want, but let’s face it….sometimes being on the rag can be smelly. Not the case with the Diva Cup.
Is it difficult to insert the Diva Cup?

Not one bit. Listen here, ladies…learn your body. Seriously. I felt like quite a noob for not knowing where my cervix was. I actually had to Google it. Sticking some fingers up there and searching for my cervix REALLY helped me work with the Diva Cup better. Some women aren’t able to reach their cervices – which is completely normal. Your best bet is to ask your gynecologist where it is. Also, because my cervix tends to sit lower before and during my cycle, reaching it is a breeze.
Is inserting the Diva Cup painful?

No. If it’s painful, that means you have inserted it incorrectly. I find inserting tampons far more painful and uncomfortable than inserting a menstrual cup. I will say this, you have to be okay with feeling inside your vagina to get the Diva Cup in place. Some women don’t like feeling their fleshy parts and may be turned off with the idea of having to do so. I didn’t find inserting, wearing or removing the Diva Cup at all painful.

What about leaking?

My first time wearing the Diva Cup was rough. Simply because I didn’t trust it or my body. Before test driving a menstrual cup, understand your flow. Are you heavy the first few days? Do you have clots? Do you tend to leak at night? Getting an understanding of your period prior to wearing the Diva Cup can REALLY help you out. The one time I leaked was at night and that was because I inserted the cup incorrectly. It felt funny after I put it in and I was too lazy to re-do it. A midnight run to the bathroom left me with Shark Week-type panties. You gals know what I’m talkin’ about. It wasn’t pretty. So yes, the Diva Cup WILL leak if it doesn’t have a snug fit. I highly recommend wearing a pad the first few times you wear the cup. Just in case…
My period is really really heavy. Will the Diva Cup hold my flow?

I consider my period to be heavy for the first few days and don’t have any problems with leaking. On the first day of my period, I change the Diva Cup more often whereas when I’m getting closer to my period ending, I only have to change it twice a day. So yes, the Diva Cup WILL hold your flow. Just be sure to check it regularly.
How is removal? It seems nasty…

A lot of women may freak out at the sight of their menstrual blood in a cup. Quite frankly, it doesn’t bother me. If anything, I find it fascinating. I know. I’m weird. The removal is actually easier than you think. Grabbing the bottom of it and gently squeezing it can relive the Diva Cup’s suction. From there, you pull down and gently tilt the Diva Cup’s bottom toward the ground. Discard, rinse and reuse! I will say this…removal can be challenging in public restrooms. But it’s still 10x easier than dealing with the unwrapping of a sanitary napkin. Before I go in the restroom, I grab a few paper towels with me. I usually carry a bottle of water to rinse the cup in the toilet. I pat it dry with the paper towels and re-insert. I hate to say it, but if I can, I go in the handicap bathrooms when I’m rockin’ the Diva Cup only because it gives me more space to move around. And I can wash my hands without touching much of anything. Keep in mind, that the outside of the cup does NOT have menstrual flow on it. You shouldn’t get blood on your fingers at all.

A quick vid I did of the removal…

Do you clean it daily? And how long can you wear it?

It is recommended to wear the cup for no more than 12 hours at a time. Obviously, if you have a heavy flow, you’ll want to check it more often. The first few days I wore the Diva Cup, I checked it every 2 hours or so. Just out of sheer paranoia. I recommend doing this when you first wear the Diva Cup. Just so you know what your flow is like. At the end of each day and before bed, I wash my with soap, rinse and re-insert. There is also a Diva Wash you can purchase but I’ve found my unscented homemade soap works just fine.
How can you not feel it, B? I just don’t get that…

Seriously. You DON’T feel it. The Diva Cup is not recommended to stay in for more than 12 hours but because it’s so comfortable, I have accidentally forgotten that it was in. No more having to feel that “gushing” feeling when wearing a pad. I can wear thongs, sleep through the night, work out with ease and soak in bath water without fear of creating pools of blood. Which sounds gross, but come on, gals…I know we’ve all been there before.
I’m a teenager. Should I try the Diva Cup?

I’m 27 and I can honestly say that if the Diva Cup was presented to me as a teen, I WOULD not have given it a chance. Then again, I was a teen afraid of tampons. That said, I recommend teenagers consult with their gynecologists first before considering the Diva Cup.
How much is the Diva Cup, what comes with it and where can I get it from?

I scooped up my cup from a health food store here in Orlando. I have also seen it at Whole Foods and on Amazon. I got mine for $35. Pricey? Yes. But it’s the best investment I’ve made in quite some time. And did I mention that the Diva Cup can last for years? Years, ladies. Years. Meanwhile, those bloody pads and tampons go straight to clogging up landfills. The Diva Cup comes in a girly box with the cup itself, a nice carrying bag and a DIVA pin. And plenty of instructions.

There are 2 kinds of Diva Cups. How do I know which one is for me?

There is 1 for women under 30 and one for women over 30 OR who have had children. I got Model 1.
How do I clean and store and the Diva Cup until my next period?

When your cycle is over, it is recommended to boil your Diva Cup for 5 minutes. Obviously, you’ll want to designate a pot just for your Diva Cup in this case. Afterwards, put it in its pouch and leave it somewhere dark and cool until it’s time to reuse. I leave mine in my panty drawer.
Bottom Line:

The learning curve for the Diva Cup can be challenging. My commitment to greening up my period and finding a better alternative is what motivated me to keep going. I wish that all women would give menstrual cups a try, but I know they won’t. There are way too many “factors” that can turn gals away. The price. The fact that you have to reach inside your vagina to insert it. The removal. So yeah – I get why many women won’t consider the Diva Cup. Quite frankly, I would pay $100 for this menstrual cup. It has given me a level of confidence and peace that I didn’t even know existed during my period. No more having to run out and get pads because I’ve run out. Everything about the Diva Cup is wonderful. And if you still aren’t convinced, check the reviews online. Just about everyone that uses the Diva Cup loves it. The Diva Cup is antibacterial, comfortable and rocks in every way.

Pro’s:
-Catches WAY more flow than the average tampon and pad.
-Doesn’t disturb the body’s pH balance the way a tampon does.
-Doesn’t stink the way a pad can.
-Antibacterial and reusable which means no contributing to the landfills..
-Long lasting. Some Diva Cup users have had theirs for close to a decade.
-Comfortable for active ladies. I’ve played soccer, done yoga and ran with my Diva Cup with zero problems.
-Helps you monitor your menstrual flow. This may be important for women who need to keep a closer look at their cycles every month.

Con’s:
-A costly investment (although you do see a return in that investment in a good 7-8 months).
-Can be challenging to use the first few times.
-Takes some time figuring out how to use it in public.

Evolver
05-04-2012, 02:54 AM
How about DivaCups? I have read in other forums that they work well. Has any of you tried them?

Its a menstrual cup.

Menstrual cup
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A bell-shaped brand of menstrual cup (left) which is about 2 inches (5.7 cm) long, not including the stem. A disposable menstrual cup (right) looks similar to a contraceptive diaphragm and is about 3 inches (7 cm) in diameter.

A menstrual cup is a type of cup or barrier worn inside the vagina during menstruation to collect menstrual fluid. Unlike tampons and pads, the cup collects menstrual fluid rather than absorbing it.
Contents

1 History
2 Description
3 Safety
4 Sizing
5 Advantages and disadvantages
5.1 Advantages
5.2 Disadvantages
6 Acceptability studies
7 See also
8 References

History
A very early American menstrual cup patent from 1867. "Museum of Menstruation".

An early version of a bell-shaped menstrual cup was patented in 1932.[1] Later menstrual cups were patented in 1935, 1937, and 1950.[2][3][4] The Tassaway brand of menstrual cups was introduced in the 1960s, but it was not a commercial success.[5] Early menstrual cups were made of rubber;[6] today, both silicone and rubber models are available.[7]

In 1987, another rubber menstrual cup, The Keeper, was manufactured in the United States. This proved to be the first commercially viable menstrual cup and it is still in manufacture today. The first silicone menstrual cup was the UK-manufactured Mooncup. Most menstrual cups are now manufactured from silicone because of its hypoallergenic properties. The German brand MeLuna manufacture their cup out of TPE (thermoplastic elastomer).
Description
Insertion of a menstrual cup in the vagina

There are two types of menstrual cup currently available:

The first type is a bell-shaped cup made of rubber (latex), silicone or thermoplastic elastomer (TPE). It is reusable and designed to last for up to 10 years. Some brands recommend replacement each year, as it is a hygiene product. Other brands recommend replacement after 5–10 years, stating that people have been comfortable using them up to 10 years. These bell-shaped silicone or rubber cups must be removed before penetrative vaginal sex.[8]

The second type is made of polyethylene and resembles the shape of a contraceptive diaphragm. There are two types of polyethylene cups: a disposable version designed for disposal after one use, and a reusable version, designed for re-use for one menstrual cycle. These polyethylene cups may be worn during intercourse, though they are not contraceptive devices.[8]
Safety

Menstrual cups are safe when used as directed and no health risks related to their use have been found.[6][9] One case report in the journal Gynecologic and obstetric investigation noted that menstrual cups could theoretically increase the likelihood of endometriosis and adenomyosis and described one woman who developed the disorders after use of a menstrual cup.[10] However, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration declined to remove menstrual cups from the market, saying that there was insufficient evidence that the risk was more than merely theoretical.[11] A 2011 randomized controlled trial in Canada measured urovaginal infection in a comparison of menstrual cup and tampon use, and found no significant difference in physician-diagnosed urovaginal symptoms between the 2 groups.[12] The Journal of Women's Health has published a clinical study demonstrating the acceptability and safety of the Instead Softcup in both clinical and pre-clinical testing.[13] There have been no reported cases of toxic shock syndrome occurring with the use of menstrual cups.[12]
Sizing
Small size (left) and large size (right). The stem may be trimmed

Most brands have a smaller and a larger size. The smaller size is normally recommended for persons under 25 or 30 who have not given birth vaginally. The larger size is normally recommended for persons over 25 or 30, or who have given birth vaginally. The menstrual cups with the smallest size diameter are recommended for teenagers. As well as width, length also needs to be considered. If a person's cervix sits particularly low, they may need to consider a shorter length cup. Shape is also important, as people vary in shape preferences for comfort. Capacity is important to people who have heavier flows; however, all of the menstrual cups currently available have higher capacity than a regular tampon.[14]
Advantages and disadvantages
Advantages
A menstrual cup with capacity 3 times greater than the absorbency of a Super tampon

Menstrual cups are more cost-efficient and environmentally friendly than tampons, as they are reusable (with the exception of the Softcup). Some cups have greater capacity than tampons which is beneficial to women with heavy flows. They also have a lower risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome (see section on Rely tampons). Generally, menstrual cups do not significantly affect the population of vaginal flora, including the bacteria responsible for bacterial vaginosis (including yeast infections) or urinary tract infections.[13] Some people opt for a menstrual cup because it does not absorb natural vaginal secretions as a tampon or sponge would.[15]. The cup offers a discreet nature that pads and tampons cannot provide. Rather than carrying these items for the purpose of changing every few hours, one need only wear the one cup and empty it in the comfort of one's home at the end of the day.
Disadvantages
Boiling a menstrual cup

Using menstrual cups can be more time-consuming for those just starting to use them. For some people, menstrual cups are more difficult to insert and remove than tampons [16] and may also be messier.[16] It often takes a few cycles to learn how to efficiently insert and remove the cup, as they create a seal in the vaginal canal. If lubrication is necessary for insertion, it should be water-based, as some lubricant ingredients can be damaging to the silicone. [1] Further time must be spent cleansing: the manufacturers recommend washing the cup every 12 hours with a mild, unscented cleanser and potable water. [2]

ladyhk13
05-04-2012, 03:03 AM
Wow, that was very informative and something I had never heard of. Guess I'm too old!

Evolver
05-04-2012, 03:04 AM
If I was a girl I would test one on these out and give a review on this forum for the benefit of ether sex.

ladyhk13
05-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Will see if there are any volunteers.

Taz Baby
05-04-2012, 04:18 AM
Let's not forget that women will go thru menopause and will not need any tampons or pads. But they are also good bandages. The adult diaper would work good too. As far the midol goes, it really depends on the woman and what her pain reliever is. I do not take any medication for anything. I do the herbs and vitamins for what ale's me. I do not get sick. The only thing that I do get is... I suffer from migraines. I have had them every day of my life and over the years have learned to deal with the pain. My body is easily to get amuined to any meds after 3 days so nothing helps. So yes you need different pain relievers in your stock pile.

Sniper-T
05-04-2012, 11:56 AM
interesting item. tx evolver... bears some more investigation

mollypup
05-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Thank GOD for menopause!!!!

mitunnelrat
05-04-2012, 07:48 PM
That's not what I hear from women I know going gone through it, Molly!

Apparently there's still plenty of misery to go through before its over.

mollypup
05-04-2012, 08:58 PM
That's not what I hear from women I know going gone through it, Molly!

Apparently there's still plenty of misery to go through before its over.

Eh, not that bad. Some heated moments for sure.....but it feels good in winter! :)

Stormfeather
05-04-2012, 10:39 PM
ok, so how do I go about talking my wife into trying one of these Diva Divots?

Taz Baby
05-04-2012, 11:20 PM
I would say just show it to her and ask her if she would because of, if the shtf comes and she still needs something, that might be easier for her.

ladyhk13
05-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Look it up online (since she won't have anything to do with the site) and say "Honey, look what I found...this is weird, have you ever heard of this thing? This might be really better than having to spend all that money on tampons every month"

Sniper-T
05-05-2012, 04:52 AM
Since it was mentioned... menopause.

My MIL was a rituous bitch during hers, but then again she isnt a nice person to begin with. what can we expect, why, and hat can we do to help?

My wife is but a few years away...

ladyhk13
05-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Once again, each woman is different. Mine was only night sweats for a little less than a year. Doc gave me estrogen to take as I needed it. I didn't take it all the time and I didn't have any other issues. Hopefully your wife won't either but since her mother did, there is a chance that it will run in the family. All she can do is wait and see and when symptoms appear she will have to talk to her doc as to the best tx.

Stormfeather
05-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Oh, she loves this site. . . I was just wondering how to approach her with it. Tried my usual tried & true tactic. . ."Hey Honey. . . look at this picture of Vin Diesel!". . .(gets her every time! But as an aside. . . theres usually hell to pay if there isnt a pic of Vin Diesel there!)

Evolver
05-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Oh, she loves this site. . . I was just wondering how to approach her with it. Tried my usual tried & true tactic. . ."Hey Honey. . . look at this picture of Vin Diesel!". . .(gets her every time! But as an aside. . . theres usually hell to pay if there isnt a pic of Vin Diesel there!)

Here you go... Just show her this...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tr86MG0krvA/TWXdp7JwA6I/AAAAAAAAA7s/SXOSufQhlRQ/s1600/Diva+Cup.jpg

I use them and loved saying goodbye to tampons.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjkhZexeoF5DPmIyL9ieMmnZCE7yAbP LRWgcBZkrqo4mYjqj9_Rw

Then again.... You might get bitch slapped... Your call :p

mollypup
05-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Again......I'm so glad for menopause!!! Now I can just turn my underwear around and get another day out of them, just like hubby does. Life is good!

IDTANDY
05-05-2012, 05:01 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqeWx-9TaMk

carly
05-05-2012, 09:21 PM
I actually tried the Diva Cup. I didn't like it much. It has a stem on it for insertion and removal. The stem pokes and is uncomfortable. You have to cut it off, leading to other problems. The edges of the cup can get hung on the cervix causing leakage. You have to empty it every 4 to 12 hours depending on flow or you get leakage. This means wearing some kind of pad just in case. For me that defeated the purpose. To be honest my biggest issue was the staining. No matter how much you clean it the silicone gets stained and nasty looking. You have to have a way to clean it every time you empty it, not always convenient or discrete. It sounded like a good idea, but I found it poorly executed.

Sniper-T
05-05-2012, 09:36 PM
and there we have if, a first hand report.

Thanks Carly, I don't think it rules them out, but it's good to know that they aren't the end all be all.

Are there different sizes?

Evolver
05-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Good review. Let me ask you this, in your opinion would it be a good item to have in your preps for the "SHTF" scenario? It really would save on stock piling tampons or pads but would it be worth it?
Justa (my better half) has had an hysterectomy so there is no need for one for us but I was thinking of others and gathering info.

ladyhk13
05-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Thank you Carly for your review.

carly
05-06-2012, 10:03 AM
There are different sizes. There is a large for women who have given birth and a small for women who haven't. I wouldn't rule out including it in preps. Some women are better able to use it than others. It also would cut down on the number of pads and tampons used. The big problem with stocking pad and tampons for other women is having what they really need on hand. Long, short, heavy, or light becomes an issue. If they find that they could use the Diva Cup, you could stock one kind of pad or rags to use as a liner for possible leakage. Just a tip for homemade pads, flannel shirts make an excellent material for this. They are soft and absorbant.

mollypup
05-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Flannel! Thanks Carly! :)

Stormfeather
05-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Here you go... Just show her this...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tr86MG0krvA/TWXdp7JwA6I/AAAAAAAAA7s/SXOSufQhlRQ/s1600/Diva+Cup.jpg

I use them and loved saying goodbye to tampons.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjkhZexeoF5DPmIyL9ieMmnZCE7yAbP LRWgcBZkrqo4mYjqj9_Rw

Then again.... You might get bitch slapped... Your call :p

going to try this later this morning. . . if Im not heard from ever again. . . well, you can blame it on Evolver and his Vin Diesel pic! Contact Dragonfly for a great deal on prepping items belonging to a now extinct husband who mysteriously disappeared while feeding the pigs. . . quite possibly. . . literally feeding the pigs! :)

ladyhk13
05-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Ok, if you guys want serious answers to serious questions about "women" issues then post them here please. That was why this thread was started in the first place due to the issue of the "void" but lets please keep it on track.

Evolver
05-10-2012, 12:07 AM

But... I was just trying to help him out with his problem. I'll try to behave.

Sniper-T
05-10-2012, 12:56 AM
relax lady, please. it's tough enough for guys to talk about these kind of things... that's whay I wanted a venue to do so. when we see how vulnerable our others 'may' be at times, it's tough and we deal or cope by joking and downplaying it. No one here is taking this thread any less serious, nor not caring for the info that you'a'll are sharing. this is all awesome! I for one, an very grateful for you putting this thread up.

tx!

next question...

Birthcontrol. Aside from abstinence (sp), nothing is foolproof, SHTF, BC is gone. I've heard of herbs that can prevent, and even lose... fact or fiction?

The bung hole in the barrel may suffice for a few months after S. but prolonged? let's assume, that said couple doesn't want children, said couple is too old to 'safely' have children. said couple doesn't want to bring children into the chaos...

ya know?

thoughts?

and no, a preemptive strike of spaying or neutering is/was not in the scenario!

ladyhk13
05-10-2012, 03:33 AM
Sniper dude...doesn't seem like any of the guys have a problem talking here but I just want to make sure we keep on track with all of your questions and not get sidetracked. Not trying to be a jerk but this was made just for ya'll and serious medical questions to help with your wives and I know this is very important to you guys. We gals don't mind talking you any of you but really don't want to have to wade through jokes in order to get to what info you are looking for, ok? Not slamming you or anything, just wanted to ask if you would please refrain from that kind of stuff ...you could put it over in the Saloon.
As for your question on birth control (and no I would NOT tell you to get neutered...that is just mean), here is some info I found for you from MedicineNet.com

Calendar rhythm method

The calendar rhythm method to avoid pregnancy relies upon calculating a woman's fertile period on the calendar. Based upon her 12 previous menstrual cycles, a woman subtracts l8 days from her shortest menstrual cycle to determine her first fertile day, and 11 days from her longest menstrual cycle to determine her last fertile day. She can then calculate the total number of days during which she may ovulate. If a woman's menstrual cycles are quite irregular from month to month, there will be a greater number of days during which she might become pregnant.

The calendar method is only about 80% effective in preventing pregnancy and when used alone is considered outdated and ineffective.

Basal body temperature (BBT)

The basal body temperature (BBT) method is based upon the fact that a woman's temperature drops 12 to 24 hours before an egg is released from her ovary and then increases again once the egg has been released. Unfortunately, this temperature difference is not very large. It is less than 1 degree F (about a half degree C) in the body at rest.

The basal body temperature method requires that a woman take her temperature every morning before she gets out of bed. A special thermometer that is more accurate and sensitive than a typical oral thermometer must be used, and the daily temperature variations carefully noted. This must be done every month. Online calculators are available to help a woman chart her basal body temperature.

To use the basal body temperature as a birth control method, a woman should refrain from having sexual intercourse from the time her temperature drops until at least 48 to72 hours after her temperature increases again.

Mucus inspection method

The mucus inspection method depends on the presence or absence of a particular type of cervical mucus that a woman produces in response to estrogen. A woman will generate larger amounts of more watery mucus than usual (like raw egg white) just before release of an egg from her ovary. This so-called egg-white cervical mucus (EWCM) stretches for up to an inch when pulled apart. A woman can learn to recognize differences in the quantity and quality of her cervical mucus by examining its appearance on her underwear, pads, and toilet tissue; or she may gently remove a sample of mucus from the vaginal opening using two fingers.

She may choose to have intercourse between the time of her last menstrual period and the time of change in the cervical mucus. During this period, it is recommended that she have sexual intercourse only every other day because the presence of seminal fluid makes it more difficult to determine the nature of her cervical mucus. If the woman does not wish to become pregnant, she should not have sexual intercourse at all for 3 to 4 days after she notices the change in her cervical mucus.

Symptothermal method

The symptothermal method combines certain aspects of the calendar, the basal body temperature, and the mucus inspection methods. Not only are all these factors taken into consideration, but so are other symptoms such as slight cramping and breast tenderness. Some women experience lower abdominal discomfort (in the area of the ovaries) during release of an egg (ovulation).

Withdrawal method

Using the withdrawal method, the man withdraws his penis from a woman's vagina before he ejaculates so that the sperm released from his penis does not enter her vagina. Withdrawal is also called coitus interruptus.

There are problems with using withdrawal as a contraceptive method. First, a man may release small amounts of sperm before actual ejaculation. Secondly, a man needs self-control and a precise sense of timing to be able to withdraw his penis from the woman's vagina before he ejaculates. Because this can be difficult for the man to do successfully, the withdrawal method is only about 75-80% effective in preventing pregnancy.

Lactational infertility

Lactational infertility is based upon the idea that a woman cannot become pregnant as long as she is breastfeeding her baby. It is true that a woman may not ovulate quite as soon after giving birth as she would if she were not breastfeeding. Women who are breastfeeding usually start ovulating again between 10-12 weeks after delivery.

A nursing mother may start ovulating again and not realize she is fertile, as ovulation can occur prior to the return of her menstrual period. If this happens and the mother has unprotected sexual intercourse, she can become pregnant at the same time she is still breastfeeding her baby. If a nursing mother does not wish to become pregnant again, she must again start to use an appropriate method of contraception.

Douching and urination

Vaginal douching is the use of a liquid solution to wash out mucus and other types of bodily debris from a woman's vagina. Many women choose to make regular douching a part of their routine for maintaining vaginal hygiene, although most doctors and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) do not recommend the practice.

Regardless of whether a woman does it for hygienic reasons, vaginal douching does not work as a contraception method. During intercourse, active sperm can reach a woman's cervix and even the upper part of her uterus within five minutes of ejaculation. Douching after intercourse cannot be done soon enough to have any contraceptive benefits, and the douching could even force sperm higher up into the uterus. In addition, if a woman douches within a 6-8 hour period after using a spermicide, she may actually reduce the effectiveness of this contraceptive method.

Some women used to think that standing up and urinating immediately after sexual intercourse might reduce the chances of them becoming pregnant. They hoped that gravity might make it more difficult for sperm to swim "uphill" to the uterus and that the stream of urine running over their vaginal area would wash away sperm, similar to the process of douching. However, just like douching, urination after intercourse does not have any contraceptive value.

I saw some "herbal" things but so not know that they are really safe for the woman so I will not post them and stick with the mainstream solutions and ideas. Hope this helps you.

carly
05-10-2012, 12:41 PM
As far as birth control goes some items can be stockpiled like anything else. Birth control pills can be affective for a couple of years after the date. If the woman get get an extra diaphragm, they can be put away. If properly taken care of they can last with two years of regular use. So getting a couple of extra diaphragms could provide a safety net. Lady is correct that the herbal birth control methods are not always safe. It is true that herbs and some chemicals can cause an abortion but they are dangerous and the timing is critical. There is a reason that these were only adminstered by the local hebalist or mid wife in the past. The herbal methods of birth control are much less reliable too. Less than 60%. That leaves you looking at a 50-50 chance of pregnancy. You can acheive a higher rate of protection with the methods Lady mentioned.

mollypup
05-10-2012, 01:47 PM
If you really love your wife, you will not get her pregnant during a serious SHTF event. Keep it in your pants, or whack off elsewhere. Sexual intercourse is not the only way to find satisfaction.

mitunnelrat
05-10-2012, 07:45 PM
But love isn't conditional, Molly. And neither are basic human desires and drives.

The need for procreation exists no matter what the circumstances, but, (and more relevant to the discussion at hand), I'd wager the psychological impact and negative effect on morale would do worse to a group after a shtf event than a woman being pregnant would, should any of the measures being discussed here fail. Women have birthed children under less than ideal conditions for ages.

Conversely, my last relationship didn't last 6 months after I made a personal, moral decision to abstain from sex out of wedlock. According to my ex, if I loved her, I'd have sex with her...

In other words, I learned first hand how damaging that change can be, and I highly recommend against it.

IDTANDY
05-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Found this in my wanderings.

Contraceptive Herbs (http://www.sisterzeus.com/HContra.htm)

Black and Blue Cohosh has been used By Native Americans.

ladyhk13
05-10-2012, 10:45 PM
If you really love your wife, you will not get her pregnant during a serious SHTF event. Keep it in your pants, or whack off elsewhere. Sexual intercourse is not the only way to find satisfaction.

Molly I don't think that really helps him with his question. A serious shtf scenario could last years and realistically a couple who is in a loving relationship would not want the spouse to keep it in his pants or go whack off elsewhere. I certainly would not want my dh to be doing that. For young couples getting pregnant could become an issue and great concern but they also wouldn't want to lose the intimacy of the relationship either. Women can do without sex far longer than men but still it is an important part of marriage the younger you are. As we get older it does lessen and other priorites do seem to come first and sex drives drop. People will have to chose very carefully during shtf when to have a child and make sure there are no "oops" like so many have now.

Sniper-T
05-11-2012, 11:23 AM
^
yup. We've already made the decision NOT to have children, but do enjoy having sex. we would not want to abstain, or whack off alone. we can pleasure each other without intercourse, but that's satisfying needs, not making or sharing love. I don't know why, but it is difficult to get more than a month or two of any prescription at a time. Unless you give them a big story about going away, it is tough to even get two months. so stocking up on birth control isn't really an option.

diaphrams, condoms much easier, but still not 100% (not that anything really is), but it is nice to see other options.

I foresee things like the calender method being problematic post SHTF, as even as it is, If I am off work for a couple weeks, I drop quickly into a routine where I wake up when it starts getting light, I go to bed shortly after it gets dark. I eat when I'm hungry. Days of the week, hours of the day, and dates quickly fade into oblivion. I have to make a conscious effort to know what day it is, for when I have to go back to work. In a prolonged incident, it will quickly turn to a 'seasonal' lifestyle. Her 'time' will be marked by a lunar phase, rather than a time or date. which certainly wouldn't be accurate enough to schedule safe sex.

mollypup
05-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Fine, fine. But depending on what the SHTF event is, or how horrible it is, having sex might be one of the last things on your mind at the time. It's not the custom these days, to do the nasty while we are REALLY NASTY lol!!!

Ladyhk13 - Ask a priest who is actually celibate, how he manages to go without sex. It can be done, and it is done by more males than you would think. :)

mitunnelrat
05-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Fine, fine. But depending on what the SHTF event is, or how horrible it is, having sex might be one of the last things on your mind at the time. It's not the custom these days, to do the nasty while we are REALLY NASTY lol!!!

Agreed, but under the circumstances you're detailing there are many "custom[s] these days" that will fall out of practice and/ or favor. People will adapt to their new circumstances. Look at indigenous tribes in Africa, for instance. They don't seem to have trouble hooking up, despite the lack of... Well, any technology or modern sanitation methods at all.

IIRC there's even some psycho-babble theory that identifies an increased sex drive/ need in trauma survivors and details why that's so.

People can and will abstain, that's their choice. Like I said, I did. Ultimately to the detriment of my relationship, but I did. That's not something you can just "take away" from somebody without trouble. A priest is different, as he's never actually given that part of himself to anyone else.

For me now, as a single man, its different. I can and will wait now until I'm married, but that's my own deal. For a married man or woman to do that to a spouse, without mutual agreement or respect, is a whole different scenario. There's a metric shit ton of negative emotions you can release by withholding sex from a previously active partner.

And that starts diving into territory I can't develop any further without violating the rules here. Hopefully I made my side of the case pretty well.

And I just realized... I'm glad this discusses the mental health of a spouse after shtf, or I'd be way off topic continuing this! Lol

Stormfeather
05-11-2012, 09:42 PM
All great info here, while I disagree with some of it, I like what Im reading! Will update more after I get back from my run

Stormfeather
05-12-2012, 01:36 AM
Withdrawal method

Using the withdrawal method, the man withdraws his penis from a woman's vagina before he ejaculates so that the sperm released from his penis does not enter her vagina. Withdrawal is also called coitus interruptus.

There are problems with using withdrawal as a contraceptive method. . . . .. . . Secondly, a man needs self-control and a precise sense of timing to be able to withdraw his penis from the woman's vagina before he ejaculates. Because this can be difficult for the man to do successfully, the withdrawal method is only about 75-80% effective in preventing pregnancy.

I beg to differ. . .men are actually quite adept at this method.

Taz Baby
05-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Wow looks like I missed a lot on here. OK, here is what I know and not necessarily by my experience, Pulling out might work but is most likely not. I have a grandchild on that method. Pre-come will get you pregnant, having sex while the woman is on her period , you can also get pregnant, again grandchild is proof of that. Condoms can have pin holes in them and leak. My saying on this is:: If 2 don't fit, you don't get. If 1 has a pin hole in it then the second one might not.

With holding sex in a relationship, can be the end of that relationship, unless agreed by both people. But there are alternatives to having a sexual relationship without penetration, again only if agreed both. But who wants to?

ladyhk13
05-13-2012, 04:38 AM
I beg to differ. . .men are actually quite adept at this method.

As I noted this came from a Medical website, not from my own personal opinion.

mollypup
05-13-2012, 04:55 PM
I agree with Taz. The tried and true method with 100% pregnancy prevention is simply don't put the wiener in the bun. period. It might be difficult for some people, but no one says they can't have sex. Adults always have that choice.

Gunfixr
05-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Again......I'm so glad for menopause!!! Now I can just turn my underwear around and get another day out of them, just like hubby does. Life is good!
This right here is absolutely priceless.

We did the menopause thing when my wife was 30, total hysterectomy and ovarectomy after our daughter was born. Endemetriosis since she was 17, both ovaries fused to the uterus. One of the fallopian tubes fused shut. Our children really are miracles.
Since most birth control meds at that time contained estrogen, they made her sick, so she couldn't take them. Taking hormones for menopause was totally out of the question, so she (we) just weathered it out.
If you really know her, you'll survive, as you know already what not to do. She still has her "personal summers" (now 41).
We did all those BC ideas. Condoms just suck, but mostly work. "Pulling out" sucks just about as bad. The calendar thing worked pretty good, but for one minor (or major?) flaw: the cycle will change based on outside events. She gets a bad cold, the flu, etc., the cycle will move unexpectedly. A good load of sudden stress, same thing. Your calendar is now ruined until you can take the time to re-evaluate it. That is exactly how we got our son.

Abstinence will never happen post-shtf. You put men and women together in a stressful and potentially life-threatening environment, and they will have sex. Even if they are not at first attracted to each other. One is the fact that all humans are driven to procreate, and left without choices, will go with whatever presents an option. Second, stress, especially life-threatening stress, creates a basic desire to prove life, and sex along with procreation proves life.
You don't think couples making babies right after one returns home from a tour of duty somewhere dangerous is solely from being apart, do you? Or, how about right after something really scary and potentially deadly happens to one spouse? The other has just got to "get busy" not long after it's over.
No, the sex will happen, and babies will happen. It is how we as humans have survived all this time, and will continue to survive.
Best to prepare for infants as best you can, if you are still in a position to make them.

Gunfixr
05-13-2012, 07:41 PM

Me and my wife are in total agreement, this statement must come from someone who has never masturbated, and doesn't know how "lacking" it is.

mollypup
05-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mollypup View Post

Me and my wife are in total agreement, this statement must come from someone who has never masturbated, and doesn't know how "lacking" it is.

There's just one too many "tards" around here. Adios folks.....it was fun while it lasted.

Gunfixr
05-14-2012, 10:10 PM
"Tards"?
Well, I'm sorry if this is sufficient to make you leave. That was not my intent.
However, to suggest that sex will be totally inappropriate for a couple post-shtf was also off-track. Time has shown that it has not, and will not be the case.
No one suggested that sexual intercourse was the only way to satisfaction.
To suggest that folks should just "keep in in their pants" or "go whack off somewhere" was also limited, as it is aimed pretty much directly at the males. "Whacking off somewhere" isn't exactly satisfaction either.
And for the ladies ??

Taz Baby
05-14-2012, 10:51 PM
:mad::mad::mad: That was totally out of line Gunfixr. A personal attack on Mollypup. She was not personally attacting you at alll. She was simple stating that if a man loved his wife he would keep it in his paants. Or take care of it hisself. There was no reason for you to lash out at her and attack her with that mean hateful remark. On phone now but be fore worned when I get to my laptop you will here from me.

The Stig
05-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Personal preferences....how do they work?

For some folks total abstinence will be fine. For some using non-penetration means will be fine. For others self-gratification will be fine. For yet others taking the risk of pregnancy might be acceptable for their relationship.

Let's stop with the blanket statements that XYZ is the ONLY way. Let's also please stop with the name calling. As far as I can tell there are no 'tards on this site (unless I deem someone to have achieved 'tard status, in which case we will have tards..... ;) )

There will not be a pissing match over birth control, family planning of whacking off in the bushes.....copy? Everybody clear on that?

Molly, sorry our colony did not suit you. The door is always open for you to return. Otherwise, good luck in life.

And with that, get it back to the discussion at hand. That is not a suggestion.

ETA: If people are ticked off at each other I STRONGLY encourage you to approach each other, like adults, via the PM function. No Taz, we will not be "hearing from you" in this open forum. Work out your issues directly via PM and drive on.

For fucks sake people......

eagle326
05-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Dirty Deeds Done With Sheep - YouTube (http://youtu.be/oCRE9qOgbug)

Thought this might lighten the mood ladies and gents.

izzyscout21
05-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Here's the deal Ladies and Gents:

We are all adults here. We should be able to conduct ourselves as such. Being an adult entails the ability to express your viewpoint in a civil manner.

Ever heard the expression "more than one way to skin a cat"?

Well guess what..... Theres more than one way for fight a fight, launch a rocket, drive a car, purify water, or fuck a goat.

If you as an adult can not acknowledge that, you need to think a little harder.

We've discussed many a time that ther is more than one type of SHTF scenario.

In the supposed "zombie/mayan/Mad Max/ prolonged scenario" birth control is prolly a good idea. Then again if that scenario ever played out, I would think that procreating has its place as well.

As in all matters in life, responsibility is the key. Use protection or not, condoms, abstinence, masturbation.......... Your choice. You have free will. Be responsible. AT least be adult enough to agree to disagree.

We maintain a family like atmosphere here. Hell, you guys are my family. Families have tiffs and disagreements. Be an adult.

Now, Ranger up and drive on.

Sniper-T
05-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Yeah, um, what he ^ said... So... Um Izzy... you uh... done with that skinned cat?

*Sniper eyes the BBQ*

;)

izzyscout21
05-14-2012, 11:50 PM
you want a calico or tabby?

Sniper-T
05-15-2012, 12:03 AM
meaty!

Twitchy
05-15-2012, 11:52 PM
that went downhill rather quickly...

Gunfixr
05-16-2012, 12:03 AM
My comment was not hateful, and not meant to be mean. It was only a response to a blanket statement that suggested that males should leave their spouses alone, as if only males want sexual attention, and it is their only way of satisfaction.
This is one problem with internet forums, that is anybody can read the print on their screen with any attitude they see fit at the time, good or bad.
I am sorry that I hurt Molly's feelings, as that was not my intent. However, her statement as well was rather unfounded.
That is my say on this, no more.

On the other thing. calico or tabby is fine.

Evolver
05-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Well... it looks the girls opened the door a little and we barged right in without understanding that a comment is just one grain of salt. Added comments are extra seasoning for flavor but there is a time to where the salt gets overwhelming and doesn't tastes to good at all. My point is... This topic went way too far. Molly had something to say and said it, she got some good responses and I'm sure that she got our point but they kept on a coming. So some salt is good but...

Twitchy
05-16-2012, 02:04 AM
The joys of text... just the way something is written, can be misconstrued for something completely different, as in Gunfixr's case...

*ahem Ill take the tabby...

mitunnelrat
05-16-2012, 11:05 PM
I've personally been viewing this thread with some interest, since 90% of my family is female, so can we get back on track, please?

I don't have anything specific, but it did strike me that women have to deal with some fun things like yeast infections and such. That one I could probably google and get answers on how to avoid/ treat it, but it made me wonder...

What are we missing? Is there anything less obvious than menstrual cycling and birth control that isn't usually discussed among mixed company?

msomnipotent
05-17-2012, 03:31 PM
What are we missing? Is there anything less obvious than menstrual cycling and birth control that isn't usually discussed among mixed company?

I have always thought that vitamins are "underdiscussed", especially for pregnant and/or lactating women. They are pretty much a must have. I have been told by one of my primary care doctors that any woman can take vitamins formulated for pregnancy without ill effects, so it might be wise to stock up if someone you know is female. I also have to stock up on vitamin D pills and calcium. I have read that women in the midwest seem to have much lower vitamin D levels than women on the coasts. Last time I had my level checked, it was "shockingly low" according to my rheumatologist.

mitunnelrat
05-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Interesting, thank you. I never considered there might be regional considerations on this, and vitamin deficiencies are something we should all probably consider more.

ladyhk13
05-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Folic acid is a good one...it is a good antioxident and especially good for lungs. Selinium (sp) is also good for the lungs as well. Anyone who has been or is a smoker, male or female should consider taking these. Just remember that vitamins do not have the shelf life that prescription drugs do.

The Stig
05-18-2012, 12:45 PM
What are we missing?

I like the vitamin topic. Could be it's own thread really.

Have we ever discussed child birth, especially for the average joe/non-trained person? Depending on the nature of the SHTF event it's not unpossible for an average joe to be stuck helping deliver a child in the midst of an emergency. Clearly this would not be medical advice but might be good general information to have.

izzyscout21
05-18-2012, 07:58 PM
^^ this. I am quite curious since my wife had a c-section, i dint get to see a traditional birth. I would be really interested in the childbirth info

Taz Baby
05-20-2012, 12:08 AM
Organic raw coconut oil is a all around good addition for the body. Here are some things that it is good for.
The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. Here is the link:::::Health Benefits of Coconut Oil (http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html)

we take 1 TBS daily in our coffee.

Sniper-T
07-10-2012, 06:43 PM
how about hemeroids?

I know they are not gender specific, but a friend just had a baby, and ended up with a nasty batch. She said it isn't uncommon with childbirth ?!? :confused:

besides the OTC meds currently available, what else can be done? herbal?

Taz Baby
07-11-2012, 11:43 AM
comfry root in powder and white oak bark. Mix equal parts with cocoa btter to make a suppository.use at night. Also soak a pad in witch hazel apply to affected area for pain.

tompnoid
07-11-2012, 05:09 PM
ok i got a question my wife goes on her rag sometimes for like 2 weeks or more she gets weak and is very whats the word bitchy crazy something along these lines towards the end which now is not hard to deal with keep her eating good lots of veggies fruits ice cream sun light. but come shtf time and we gotta go a hiking for a couple of days or so how do i cope with this with lack of real good food since fruit and veggies aren't gonna keep real well. i mean she really could die if a illness get ahold of her she been hospitalized for pneumonia a couple of times due to this. just getting hold of her with the lack of vitamins being lost from her flow.and please keep it uhh somewhat non graphic i almos yakked reading the first few pages of cups and whats not

ladyhk13
07-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Well first of all if she is bleeding for 2 weeks or more she most likely need iron especially if she is so weak as you say. Is she taking a suppliment? If she is and still getting this weak you can go to the pharmacy and have them get her a full strength iron pill. They do not put it on the shelves but give to out only to people who are anemic. Usually a doc will tell you to get it when your red blood cell count is very low but you do not need a script. I have been stocking up on some bottles for this reason (veggies may not be available so iron will be hard to ingest) and believe that it will help with staying healthy. She can go to her doc now while she is on her cycle and get a blood test and see how low she is to see if she may need it now to take during that 2 weeks and see if it helps. If it does then you will know it's something you will want to get. There is a pretty long shelf life on pills as long as they are stored properly.

Sniper-T
07-12-2012, 02:11 AM
she should also be taking some kind of multi-vitamin if not all the time, then at least during her 'time'.

tompnoid
07-12-2012, 08:54 PM
just iron and a multi vitamin? and of course fluids id figure vitamin d or c or a

Taz Baby
07-12-2012, 11:54 PM
I am anemic and can not take iron pills of any kind. The only way my body will accept iron is through the foods I eat. I eat one calf liver once a month plus green veggies everyday. I hate liver but smothered in onion gravy it ain,t that bad. During my monthly I eat liver three times a week. So have her do that. Any kind of liver will work but the smaller it is the more you have to eat. I Also take a prenatal vitaimn everyday instead of a muti one.