PDA

View Full Version : Work Gloves

Sniper-T
05-03-2012, 12:49 PM
How are you all fixed ? My hands are like leather, particularly by the end of summer, and I'm fine with that, and rarely, if ever, wear gloves for anything. That said, years of working with my hands has amassed bags and bags of workgloves in my garage, so if SHTF, I will have a lifetime supply. My wife, not so much. She's got nice soft hands (appreciated by me), and wears gloves for anything from weeding to grass cutting, pruning to planting, and everything in between. Yet for her, I'm thinking that I might have 1 or two pairs in stock. That will barely get through the summer, never mind SHTF. She could and has worn mine in a pinch, but they are big bulky awkward and somewhat dangerous for her to wear. (think chainsaw)

This is something that I will be consciously buying extras of. I wish I would have thought of this last fall when they put them on sale :(

rentprop1
05-03-2012, 01:01 PM
This is something that I will be consciously buying extras of. I wish I would have thought of this last fall when they put them on sale :(

my hands really aren't leather, had it pretty good and been in a office for a part of my life, but I do stock up whenever I think about it, the $ 2 Stanley gloves at Wal-mart are fine for every day, but I have a pair of good leather Carhardt ones from Tractor Supply, built for some serious outdoors stuff, and then there is always the mechanics style gloves to keep a part handy for working on the truck, I keep an additional pair just in case I have to change a shredded tire or something on the side of the road

very cheap insurance if you ask me and don't take up much space.......in a survival situation an extra pair of socks can be used for gloves, but not for something like crawling through broken glass ...YMMV

bacpacker
05-03-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't use gloves much. But some things i do like fencing or handling rough lumber all day. My hands get dried out and crack open pretty bad so i've started using them a little more than i used to. Plus small cuts and splinters could invite infection when working with animals, particularly in a shtf situation.
I have been stocking up all kinds of gloves for a couple years now. The wife uses them all the time but her hands are so small she has a hard time finding any that fit. We finally found her a good pair of leather ones at Lowes last weekend that fit well. Gotta go back and pick up several more of them.

mollypup
05-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Work gloves are very, very good to have. I highly endorse them! :)

Taz Baby
05-03-2012, 05:23 PM
I tease my DH every time we go somewhere where they have gloves. He seems to be addictive to them like some women are with buying shoe's. He is always buying another kind of glove that he doesn't have. But then again he needs them for different uses. He has..... several pairs for ........... riding the 4-wheeler in summer or winter, working with metal, chainsaw,yard work, working on machines like the tractor. I think he has a pair of every kind of glove that Carthart makes and is still not happy with his cold winter gloves. They have to be waterproof thermal insulated and leather heavy duty. So with that I do not have to buy but 2 pairs of gloves (winter and summer work gloves. I can always use a pair of his.

cwconnertx
05-03-2012, 06:05 PM
I mostly use cheap cotton for most work, but also have cut resistant gloves from an industrial supply place, and a pair of 5.11 tactical gloves (discountinued model).

My hands dry out and crack real bad handling soil, concrete, or stone without gloves. I've cut my hands too many times to go without too often.

ladyhk13
05-03-2012, 08:07 PM
I always have a problem finding gloves that fit due to small hands. No way I can use dh's since they just flop around and fall off...very frustrating so I grab what ones I can when I can find them. I think they are very important to have for many projects especially for women but as Bp said, men need them for heavy duty stuff and it could mean the difference between and infection or healthy hands and nails.

Evolver
05-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Not much of a glove wearer ether but when I do I like buck skin or these found at Lowes...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TGagwCnIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

bacpacker
05-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Those are good gloves, I have at least 2 pair of them. Dexterity to pretty good with them. But I am partial to leather if I can find a pair that fit right. I have a pair of goat skin gloves I love, they are thinner leather and give pretty good dexterity for leather. I've never found another pair of them.

Lady check out Lowes if there is one near you. The DW found a pair Saturday that fit her pretty good. She can't find any leather typically to fit her.

Taz Baby
05-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Having small hands does make it hard to find gloves. Those that say one size fit's all is not true. I have to go to the kids section to find ones to fit me, but I use those for a warm insert for the heavier gloves.I have found ladies thermal weather proof, water proof gloves that fit nice at Tractor Supply. For some reason people think that all ladies things must be in pink, and since I hate pink I have a time finding women's gloves that fit good and are not pink or look to prissyfied. Dh gloves do flop around on me and fall off but when you are going 50 mph on a 4 wheeler you don't care as long as they keep your fingers from freezing.

Grumpy Old Man
05-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I have several pairs I had made for me from one of my elk hides. Several pair of leather riding gloves (equestrian) and 4 or 5 pair of the leather palmed canvas work gloves. A several pairs of tactical gloves from Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

Kodiak
05-06-2012, 06:53 AM
I have 2 pair of leather work gloves, 1 pair of tacti-cool gloves and 2 pair of winter snow gloves. Got me thinking i need more...

realist
05-06-2012, 02:58 PM
I have found that I depend upon gloves more and more. I use both cloth and leather gloves. The ones that I use the most are those that are and insulated cloth with a rubberized palm and fingers. I found that they worked great when I was working with concrete block. Then I started using them for finishing concrete and it saved my hands. I generally go through a couple pair a year. Then I started using them for general yard work and found them not really that good. When dealing with thorns they would easily get punctured but I still used them. Recently I got stuck by a Barberry that when I took it off there was just a small black spot where the thorn broke off, it didn't hurt, I decided to take it out anyway, and it was over a ΒΌ long, not good in a SHTF situation. Since we are talking worst case scenario I have started rethinking my preps with gloves. Leather is far superior then the cloth, for longevity and protection. It is for that reason that I am stocking bunch more leather gloves. I figure that more injuries that can be prevented the less chance of getting infection which in a SHTF situation can be fatal.

mitunnelrat
05-12-2012, 12:44 AM
I'm partial to the rubberized cloth gloves myself. I feel like I lose too much dexterity with the leather gloves.

Probably why I don't wear gloves too often. The cloth ones do puncture easily, as already said, and they're worse than bare hands for me in the winter. At least after they get wet.