PDA

View Full Version : Shorthand Communication

mollypup
05-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Yes! "Shorthand" and not "shortwave" communication. It would take some time to learn and practice, but I can see how it would be a VERY valuable way to leave messages to yourself and to others who can read shorthand. Most people nowadays wouldn't have a clue what all the little squiggles meant, but with a few days practice and a good shorthand manual, you can learn to write this way. If your note gets found I bet most people would think it was gibberish and ignore it.

"Rex - I have 25 oz. of silver buried beneath the oak tree next to the fence by the creek where it bends around the island. Please dig it up and spend it as necessary. I will catch up with you at the trailer park next Wednesday. I'll have a fresh supply of ammo. Love you! Mom"

wow! This would really be cool! I just opened up my Greg shorthand book and have read the first couple of pages and it seems so easy already!

Sniper-T
05-03-2012, 05:50 PM
and something else, established, that you can add is:

http://www.shtfready.com/f17/hobo-signs-795/

and they can be used to assist, or hinder

Stormfeather
05-05-2012, 07:30 AM
The only downside to hobo signs. . . is that the typical hobo is usually a vargant, probably more well versed in hobo sign than you are, and would know if its authentic. Apparently these guys have quite the network and know who does what sign. Also another downside, if its authentic, and a hobo finds it, you may have just invited a mentally unbalanced person to follow your directions to your BOL. . . or cache. . .ect ect.

I do have to agree with MollyPup on this one, shorthand is a lost art that not alot of folks know. Wouldnt be too bad of an idea to learn it, especially if you have multiple members of a mag in one area, or your group is somewhat spread out but working in the same AO.

Sniper-T
05-05-2012, 04:54 PM
keep in mind too, that you can use signs to ward off people as well. a couple of 'bad place' or 'beat down ahead' can warn off the vagrants, but those in addition to an ant head, would have a totally different connotation.

ladyhk13
05-06-2012, 04:17 AM
OMG! I remember in High School they were still teaching short hand! Can we even get books anymore?

carly
05-06-2012, 10:21 AM
While using traditional hobo signs could present a problem, I see no reason why a network couldn't devise their own. This would work really well when combined with using shorthand. Use a symbol meaning to check here, then leave your short hand note. You could also combine this with normal yard decorations so that it didn't appear out of the ordinary. For example, lets say your check here symbol is a sunshine. There are lots of sunshine yard decorations. You could also paint it on a rock in the yard or get a sunshine windchime. There is where you leave your shorthand note.

mollypup
05-07-2012, 12:11 PM
OMG! I remember in High School they were still teaching short hand! Can we even get books anymore?

I bought mine here: Amazon.com: The GREGG Shorthand Manual Simplified (9780070245488): John Gregg, Louis Leslie, Charles Zoubek: Books (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0070245487/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01)