PDA

View Full Version : Preparedness Expo

bacpacker
05-05-2012, 02:17 AM
There is going to be a preparedness Expo in Clinton, Tn tomorrow starting at 10:00am. Here is a link to the site.

Home - Anderson County Emergency Preparedness Fair (http://www.acprepfair.org/)

There is suppose to be folks from a couple of the nuclear facilities represented. I hope they will have some good info available. I'll try to do a AAR tomorrow night if I have a chance.

mitunnelrat
05-05-2012, 02:36 AM
"Like"

Lol. That's better as a feature. Sounds like a cool thing to check out! I'll be glad to see the review.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

ladyhk13
05-05-2012, 03:10 AM
Hah! MTR, you "liked" that idea, huh?

RedJohn
05-05-2012, 01:01 PM

The Like feature is not available on Tapatalk. One of the things I don't like too much on Tapatalk.

Sniper-T
05-06-2012, 12:15 AM
looking forward to the report...

what's with the hotlink spam on the word 'check'

bacpacker
05-06-2012, 03:16 AM
The Expo was better and worse than I expected. I was very encouraged by the turnout and a well distributed crowd. I saw folks that looked to be 80ish or close to it all the way down to folks in their late teens to early 20's. Lots of young couple with kids. There was a good group of stations set up for various agencies and vendors. We stayed for about 2 hours and tried to look at everything available.

Another plus was the fact that there was 3 different tables with folks from the Y-12 nuclear weapons plant, ORNL national Lab, and ORISE that had quite a bit of info on local disaster preparedness. I picked up several things from these folks and will go thru all of it and see if there is some useful info in them that I can post up. One thing I noticed right away was some of the info stated that it was for a 5 mile evacuation info. IIRC the Japanese Nuc problem has been extended out to about 15-20 miles once the disaster unfolded. Anyway, more on this later.

There were also several of agencies, ranging from the local police and FD, Local and State EMA Booths. The American Red Cross, a Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Agency, and a couple booths that focused mainly on school and child preparedness.

The down side to me was the fact that there were very few vendors, at least I was hoping for more to check out. There were several that had some good info and a few that had some nice products, so it wasn't a total fail in that regard. Again after I get time to go thru all the info I picked up I will post up additional information.

I also got to take a good look at a solar oven that was for sale. The vendor wanted $200 for it, which I felt was pretty steep. I do think I can build something very similar for much less than $100. It was made to fold down and be portable, which I liked a lot. I just need to find the materials I would need to assemble one. I am going to go back thru the other threads on here about solar ovens and compare them to what this one was like and use the best of all the designs.

I also got to talk to a good friend from another forum that I meet a couple years ago. He introduced me to 3 other folks that live in this general area. All in all this was time well spent.

mitunnelrat
05-06-2012, 03:30 PM

yeah, and RJ nailed it. :D

Kodiak
05-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a good event BP, i wish there was something like that around here from time to time. Its awesome that you met some new preppers that are in your area, Lunchbox and myself are on the hunt for like minded folks around here but so far no luck.

Stormfeather
05-09-2012, 05:37 AM
I know the feeling Kodiak. . . trying to find a prepper thats not deep in the closet or bunker, is like pulling teeth around here.