PDA

View Full Version : PTSD

izzyscout21
05-07-2012, 12:50 PM
For those of us who have it, or have had to deal with it, PTSD is nothing to laugh at. It is a serious condition.

HOWEVER,

We also understand the need to laugh in order to cope....................enjoy..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W7RT6mh41o

Kodiak
05-07-2012, 01:17 PM
LOL thats awesome!

Fatty
05-07-2012, 05:42 PM
If I would've just heard the song, it wouldn't be nearly as funny. But being able to watch the guy play and sing it...

Priceless!

LUNCHBOX
05-07-2012, 08:01 PM
That's awsome in a very bad way.

IDTANDY
05-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Great post,has his music to vent.My dealings with PTSD covered post Viet Nam,where it wasn't recognized.
This site is very blunt and tells it like it is..

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/mental_health/ptsd.htm)

This is for those who never experienced this and want to understand that this is not a "priceless"thing.

Kutter-0311
05-07-2012, 11:00 PM
My cousin and a few buddies have PTSD, mostly army as far as I know. Not aware of any of the guys I served with in the Corps with any major afteraffects. USMC has very different deployment schedules than the army, and I'd bet that's got a lot to do with it. Sadly, Big Army doesn't seam to have much concern for their troops.

bacpacker
05-07-2012, 11:12 PM
God Bless anyone and everyone who has or is dealing with this. It is a terrible issue to deal with.

piranha2
05-08-2012, 12:45 AM
My SIL is dealing with it and it is rough. Wish I knew what to say to him.

eagle326
05-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Great post,has his music to vent.My dealings with PTSD covered post Viet Nam,where it wasn't recognized.
This site is very blunt and tells it like it is..

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/mental_health/ptsd.htm)

This is for those who never experienced this and want to understand that this is not a "priceless"thing.

The link provided is a true reflection of Nam Vets. I left Nam in August 1971and thought I was normal for 25 years while everyone around me was scared of me. I was blind to their visions. I thought they were weak and I'd protect them. My wife has not slept in my bed for about 20 yrs. or so because of my sleepless nights. She touched me one time and I nearly choked the woman I love to death.

In 1996 I was ordered to the V. A. at Brecksville ; Ohio for eval. and was told I had P.T.S.D. Not knowing what it was ; I aked am I going to die ? They told me what it meant and I told them to go to Hell that I was just fine and they were the ones screwed up in the head. Between them and Republic Steel they put me on medical disability and more or less told me in order to keep my job I would have to go thru therapy.

Did a 10 week in house with other vets and to be honest it was the worst time I spent in a long time. Wanted to leave and tell them to Kiss My royal Ass!!! But if any of us left then our jobs were at risk. The company didn't have to take me back if I refused therapy. Did the 10 weeks and saw a psychcologist from 1996 to 2010. When she retired I refused the younger generation psych"s for a number of reasons.

What I learned from my therapist is that as long as I can pick and choose those whom I'm around I have a very peaceful life. Along with filling my time with things to do. And after many years of talking and listening I've kept my honing ability about the same as it was 41 years ago.

Now as for the video ; I can find it amusing now as to were it was 30 -40 yrs. ago ; probably not.

Izzy by posting this I believe you're farther ahead than I ever was at that point in my life. Good luck and God speed in your journey.

Fatty
05-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Just to clarify, as I posted above, i coined the term "priceless" to the artist's performance of his song, not ptsd. I would hate to think someone would quote me only to intentionally twist my meaning.

izzyscout21
05-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Now as for the video ; I can find it amusing now as to were it was 30 -40 yrs. ago ; probably not.

Izzy by posting this I believe you're farther ahead than I ever was at that point in my life. Good luck and God speed in your journey.

I have a dark sense of humor.

I'm better now than I was. I was pretty bad when I first came back, but I had just been through a pretty bad ordeal. The PTSD still cause some issues at home, but its getting better.
Like I said, I have to be able to laugh about it.

Stormfeather
05-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Shit. . . if I couldn't laugh about it, I probably would kill someone. . .

I feel ya Izzy, there's a lot of good guys out there that got dropped into the mix and was expected to do the job and just suck it up and man up afterwards. Each and everyone one of us has our own coping systems and in time, we usually find what works and what doesn't. Unfortunately, there's guys out there who just cant adjust, or refuse to admit there's an issue, and try to just Charlie Mike and be cool with it and in the end, suffer the consequences. A damn good friend of mine T.C. is currently in prison serving a lengthy sentence for attempted murder, and another friend A.L. just decided to check out by suck starting his 1911. Still brings a tear to my eye when I think of both of them, and neither of them willing to ask for help, or accept it when offered. Both great soldiers, great friends, whom I will never be able to see again because they wasn't willing to get help, or accept a helping hand when it was offered.

eagle326
05-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Just to clarify, as I posted above, i coined the term "priceless" to the artist's performance of his song, not ptsd. I would hate to think someone would quote me only to intentionally twist my meaning.

No problem Fatty. Understood your post as written. :)

Kodiak
05-08-2012, 01:15 PM
I dont think anyone here wants to downplay PTSD and its good that some of our military folks are finding ways to deal with it with humor.

eagle326
05-08-2012, 01:20 PM
I have a dark sense of humor.

I'm better now than I was. I was pretty bad when I first came back, but I had just been through a pretty bad ordeal. The PTSD still cause some issues at home, but its getting better.
Like I said, I have to be able to laugh about it.

You are very right Izzy.I also have a dark sense of humor and some people are still taken aback by it after all these years. One must find what works for them without freaking out others for the most part.
Hope you continue to get better ; My wife was a pillar for me to lean on even at first when she didn't in those early years understand just what was going on. If you ever want to chat let me know. Don't know if any of my techniques would work for you ; but I'm willing to give you some.

Eagle

eagle326
05-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Shit. . . if I couldn't laugh about it, I probably would kill someone. . .

I feel ya Izzy, there's a lot of good guys out there that got dropped into the mix and was expected to do the job and just suck it up and man up afterwards. Each and everyone one of us has our own coping systems and in time, we usually find what works and what doesn't. Unfortunately, there's guys out there who just cant adjust, or refuse to admit there's an issue, and try to just Charlie Mike and be cool with it and in the end, suffer the consequences. A damn good friend of mine T.C. is currently in prison serving a lengthy sentence for attempted murder, and another friend A.L. just decided to check out by suck starting his 1911. Still brings a tear to my eye when I think of both of them, and neither of them willing to ask for help, or accept it when offered. Both great soldiers, great friends, whom I will never be able to see again because they wasn't willing to get help, or accept a helping hand when it was offered.

Stormy ; Sorry for the losses. I've had brothers do as you have written of. Yes you have to find what works for you. Sometimes it may be something simple and sometimes not. It's a work in progress for us all and it doesn't ever go away. The biggest thing I had to learn was to accept the help offered. In the end I asked and started using that which worked for me.

I'm glad they have a system in place now so to speak as compared to when we came home and got dropped off. Same goes for you as Izzy. If you ever want to chat or pick my brain let me know.

Eagle

IDTANDY
05-08-2012, 03:27 PM

No twist intended, just clarify, as you did.I've worked on way to many of my brothers,who fell to their demons.A lot where from drug OD from meds that where freely given to them for "treatment".

rice paddy daddy
05-13-2012, 04:04 PM
No twist intended, just clarify, as you did.I've worked on way to many of my brothers,who fell to their demons.A lot where from drug OD from meds that where freely given to them for "treatment".
I'll never forget back in 1986 when the VA shrink told me i drank to much and just needed to take their drugs instead. I saw what that did to many of my freinds and refused.
I received outpatient "counseling" at the Vet Center program of the VA for almost nine years, when we moved away to our current homestead I never pursued it further.
The more Vietnam is in the past, the less my symptoms are. I found also that the program of Alcoholics Anonymous works for more than just my alcoholism.
Eagle - do not feel alone, my friend, my wife of 22 years has not slept in the same room for 17 of those. I still have "the dreams".

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

eagle326
05-13-2012, 06:15 PM
I'll never forget back in 1986 when the VA shrink told me i drank to much and just needed to take their drugs instead. I saw what that did to many of my freinds and refused.
I received outpatient "counseling" at the Vet Center program of the VA for almost nine years, when we moved away to our current homestead I never pursued it further.
The more Vietnam is in the past, the less my symptoms are. I found also that the program of Alcoholics Anonymous works for more than just my alcoholism.
Eagle - do not feel alone, my friend, my wife of 22 years has not slept in the same room for 17 of those. I still have "the dreams".

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Yea it takes a special woman to live with guys like us. Finding your comfort zone is key to surviving and having a somewhat peaceful life.

IDTANDY
05-13-2012, 06:37 PM

I know many Vets that use AA to help them deal.Both You and Eagle must have special women in your lives.
Does my heart good .

rice paddy daddy
05-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Yea it takes a special woman to live with guys like us. Finding your comfort zone is key to surviving and having a somewhat peaceful life.
Since the war I have found it difficult to get close to anyone, except my wife. I go to work and back home to our little farm and find peace in our animals and our little patch of woods out back.
The only people I'm comfortable around are veterans and fellow recovering alcoholics (at least those who have good sobriety, that is). My social activities are limited to AA meetings and the monthly meetings and other activities of our local chapter of Vietnam Veterans Of America.
And that is my recipe for a peaceful, satisfying, and rewarding life.
I do not feel I'm a "victim" or that anybody owes me anything. Quite the contrary - I consider it a Blessing from God that He allowed me to go to Vietnam and return a changed man.

eagle326
05-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Since the war I have found it difficult to get close to anyone, except my wife. I go to work and back home to our little farm and find peace in our animals and our little patch of woods out back.
The only people I'm comfortable around are veterans and fellow recovering alcoholics (at least those who have good sobriety, that is). My social activities are limited to AA meetings and the monthly meetings and other activities of our local chapter of Vietnam Veterans Of America.
And that is my recipe for a peaceful, satisfying, and rewarding life.
I do not feel I'm a "victim" or that anybody owes me anything. Quite the contrary - I consider it a Blessing from God that He allowed me to go to Vietnam and return a changed man.

So true Rice Paddy; I don't go out to socialize most of the ones I trust come to see me or on the phone. I venture out to their places every now and then . I keep busy with the chickens and dogs along with my projects.
Like you I don't feel like a victim ; Just a man who was sent into a place and time that made me realize the value of life ; freedom and death. Am I a better man I can't say for myself other than to say I'm still law abiding and living as peaceful as I can.

IDTANDY
05-14-2012, 03:34 AM
I remained on Active Duty,Hell its all I knew back then. Grew up a Mil Brat.
Even then I tended to be the loner,still am.I do have my times and its to the wilderness for me.
Recently reunited with my first wife after 25 years apart it took a toll on that marrage.We are older and more mature now.

Sniper-T
05-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Given the number of vets who come back with PTSD, how does this bode for a civilian population after SHTF?

I would think that in the training to become a soldier, The men and women in uniform are guided somewhat in how to deal with the aftermath of their 'jobs'. In a post SHTF world, assuming that there is need to defend oneself, family, and property, how difficult would it be for 'Jane and John Doe' off the street to deal with killing someone, or having to clean up the mess afterwards?

It is an interesting thread, and thus far is only really applicable to our vets, but the potential for a far more widespread issue isn't unthinkable

IMO

IDTANDY
05-14-2012, 05:08 PM
It exhists in the civilian population.Law enforcement,firefighters/Emts, street Medics and individuals who experience severe trauma physical or psyc.
Dealing with the physical aftermath,yes,now the psyc aspect is another story as you're begining to learn.

bacpacker
05-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Sniper my wife was in a very bad car wreck back 20 or so years ago and the dr diagnosed her with a type of PTSD. She had nightmares , would freeze up or freak out while riding i a car if someone changed lanes unexpectedly. Something that simple would get her going. Over the years most all of it has subsided, but sometimes when out driving somewhere she will still get very worked up over a big rig swerving a little or someone doing something unexpected. She still drives but not nearly as much as she used to.

I sure cant speak for the vets on here but for her it was mostly just learning to deal with situations as they come up. What little she has went thru really tears my heart out for the stuff the vets deal with every day. My prayers are with all of you.

rice paddy daddy
05-15-2012, 02:34 AM
I just want to thank ya'll here on this board. This is a nice friendly place and there don't seem to be the uncouth rabble found on some other places (which shall remain nameless).
I'm new here but everyone has welcomed me, and I am gratefull.
I don't post a lot, but I like it here.
Thanks,
Roger

eagle326
05-15-2012, 03:33 AM
I just want to thank ya'll here on this board. This is a nice friendly place and there don't seem to be the uncouth rabble found on some other places (which shall remain nameless).
I'm new here but everyone has welcomed me, and I am gratefull.
I don't post a lot, but I like it here.
Thanks,
Roger

Rice Paddy you will find a great home here because our fellow Ants care for your survival and endeavor to help in anyway they can. Now we may not always agree ; But we'll always stick by you.

I actually believe that those I loved and called brother 41 years ago will always be by my side.
And of all the sites I've been on I find this one to have the mentality that we had back then. You will find a heartfelt willingness to do what can be done to help you or anyone on this board to be better in the end case senario.

Between then and now I believe that I've found a lasting home with us older brothers and the younger brothers.By the combining of both groups I'd say we are one Damn awesome site for info and brotherhood not found anywhere else.

May your stay be long and profitable to you and all of us in the colony and may we all stand together as one united against the storm.

Eagle

mitunnelrat
05-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Eagle, I'd "like" this if I could. Very well said.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk