PDA

View Full Version : Food Cost

bacpacker
05-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Mods I wasn't sure whether to put this in food or news. If this should be moved, please do so.

I ran across this article on another forum and thought it should be discussed here. I try to keep up with food news, but this is the first I had heard about this.

Price of Rice Is Going Up - Real Time Economics - WSJ (http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/05/07/price-of-rice-is-going-up/?mod=yahoo_hs)

I knew that corn is being planted everywhere in increasing acerage amounts. This is causing a decrease in the amount of other crops which is depleting our excess food stores of bulk foods (wheat, rice,soybeans, etc). That is having a adverse effect on food cost. A huge amount of the corn being grown is not even being used for food, it's going into ethanol. I just never gave that much thought to rice production taking a hit from corn as well.

It did sound like the prices haven't took a big jump yet, so maybe some folks that need to stock more rice will have a little longer to hit that before a big jump comes on.

LUNCHBOX
05-08-2012, 04:12 AM
Rice is a major staple, it should be expected to take a price hit as well as some of the other foods.

BP, thanks for the heads up about the increase though. Another good reason to stock up now.

Sniper-T
05-08-2012, 10:51 AM
YEP. Think I'll buy a couple more bags this week.

bacpacker
05-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I don't really care for rice myself, but it is a pretty cost effective staple and easy to store.

Sniper-T
05-09-2012, 11:18 AM
...I don't really care for rice myself...

How can a billion chinese people be wrong?

bacpacker
05-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Not saying they are. I just don't care for it. Plus it jacks my blood sugar higher than just about anything and takes longer to burn off.

Sniper-T
05-09-2012, 12:38 PM
^
rice does? Strange, I thought it was quite a simple carbohydrate. In fact, that's one of the things my MIL was told to eat more of, and less bread/pasta.

Will have to look into that. tx

bacpacker
05-09-2012, 02:23 PM
It may be different for her, but it hits me much harder than pasta. Bread is somewhere in between.

ladyhk13
05-09-2012, 06:01 PM
There is a difference between white rice, brown rice, and long grain rice so maybe you should check to see if your body can burn one of these more effeciently and the cost difference.

Grumpy Old Man
05-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Just a little update on food prices. I use plastic vinegar jugs for water storage (among other things). I just finished a 1.25 gallon jug I purchased 2 years ago for $1.79. I buy a jug of white vinegar every time I go to the store, so I checked my most recent purchase of vinegar at the same store. $2.49 for a one gallon jug of generic vinegar as opposed to $1.79 for the 1.25 gallon jug. I most always buy generic vinegar as it all comes from the same manufacturer out here, so that works out to $0.011/oz 2 years ago to $0.019/oz (almost $0.02/oz) today. That is almost doubling in price, but we have to take into account the increase in packaging costs due to petroleum prices, etc. But it is indicative of the price rises and decrease in package size.

tompnoid
05-16-2012, 09:51 PM
i been buying those big 10 lb bags of rice they last forever. i also been trying to buy and support local farmers and buisness' which is really expensive but it so much better then buying walmart garbage. but even the walmart stuff has been rising in price its just inflation catching up buy what you can when you can. you guys buying flour and semolina?? if you like pasta liek i do the indian stores have semolina its called rava or suji and it is a fraction of the cost that semolina is sold under at the regualr stores.

msomnipotent
05-17-2012, 03:54 PM
I read yesterday that 75 to 90% of the cherry crop is ruined, and apples, peaches, and I think some other fruit will be affected due to the March weather. Get ready for price increases on those, if you can find them this summer. We had to do without pecan pies due to their price, too. They more than tripled when I needed them for Thanksgiving.

My daughter is SO very disappointed because we finally got cherries on our little trees this year and the birds took them all. At least our strawberries are doing well.

bacpacker
05-17-2012, 05:41 PM
We just harvested a pathetic cheery crop. Early on it appeared it would be a bumper crop, but my luck goes we got maybe 2 quarts at most. The birds didn"t really bother ours till we got most of what was there.
My other fruit trees are too young to bear yet. Our blueberries however all have some fruit on. Several of them are hanging full and drooping over they have so many. The wild blackberries are looking good to.

ladyhk13
05-18-2012, 12:32 AM
Some of our apple trees have fruit since they were big enough to make it through the frost, our pecans are just starting to grow and there are blackberries everywhere! So now the thing is...fight the Japanese beatles for the apples, the squirrels for the nuts and the deer for the berries. I'm doomed.

mitunnelrat
05-18-2012, 01:05 AM
No you're not. Just organize MW/ TN meet n greet's during hunting seasons. Bet you'll get plenty of people willing to help you wage that war...

All you'll have to worry about is the bugs ;)

Twitchy
05-20-2012, 06:55 PM
No you're not. Just organize MW/ TN meet n greet's during hunting seasons. Bet you'll get plenty of people willing to help you wage that war...

All you'll have to worry about is the bugs ;)

I'm Game!

Taz Baby
05-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Now that I have a fridge, I get to buy milk and cheesecake. Geeeeezzzzzzz the price of those have gone thru the roof.