PDA

View Full Version : El Cheapo Mini-GreenHouse

slowz1k
05-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Back in mid-March of this year I picked up this little greenhouse kit at Big Lots for $20.00. I wasn't expecting much considering BL's reputation for quality, as well as the low price... But I thought it might be worth the gamble. We do raised bed gardens that total less than 150 square feet, so I didn't need anything large, but I did need somewhere to keep my spring seedlings. My wife was getting tired of them sitting on the dining room table.:mad:
As it turns out, this thing is actually quite awesome. It is rather light and needs to be kept out of high winds, but it has stood up to heavy rains, small hail, and many many days of direct sunlight, and still looks brand new.
I'm not sure if BL is still stocking these, but if I see them again, I plan to buy at least one more, as a backup, or if we expand our gardens. They also offered a larger size with an extra shelf for $30.00.

Thought this might be of interest to anyone looking for a space saver. It would be perfect for an apartment balcony.

This is a pic I took soon after purchase with Garlic, Cherry tomatoes, green peppers, beef steaks, and two blueberry bushes.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/slowz1k/Greenhouse.jpg

Sniper-T
05-10-2012, 02:23 PM
I've had one for several years, I use it indoors to start all my seeds.

truly awesome!

helomech
05-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Great price, did it come with the shelves inside?

slowz1k
05-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Great price, did it come with the shelves inside?

Thin green wire shelves. Good for seedlings, but they won't hold a lot of weight. I pulled the bottom one due to the added weight of the two heavier planters.

helomech
05-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Wow, well worth what you paid. Would not mind something like that for seedlings.

bacpacker
05-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Nice find and a great size for seedlings.

mitunnelrat
05-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Wow. I think I could have made good use of that this year.. I'm gonna check the local BL for them.

Taz Baby
05-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Was at Big lots and saw that little green house and I got one. Just had to, it was on sale. got an extra plastic thing for it too. If anyone else wants one go get them now. All their garden things are on sale. Going to use it on my porch this winter and see how it does for growing plants in the winter. Would be nice to have mater's year round.