PDA

View Full Version : Your fellow ant needs some wiring help!

Twitchy
05-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Hey Guys!

Sooo... anybody able to give me a crash course on how to run cable/wire through an already built building between the drywall? The ceiling is a sketchy proposition, though it may be more doable... unfortunately its not a drop ceiling :/ Any ideas? we are looking at a 50, 20, and 25, foot span of cable...

Evolver
05-10-2012, 11:42 PM
First Question, Is Dimhouse (not so bright... Brighthouse) your cable TV provider?

Evolver
05-10-2012, 11:59 PM
If yes. give them a call and they will do "Drops" for 70 bucks. If not the easiest way to do it is to tie into it with a splitter

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/protek480/2012-01-22_190429_tv_cable_splitter_47335__96729_zoom.jpg

or

http://www.idealindustries.com/media/img/product/medium/85-134.jpg

where it enters your house run a exterior line around the eve line then drop it down the outside wall then drill through the wall at the desired location and install a J-box.

Evolver
05-11-2012, 12:19 AM
If you want the cable outlet on an inside wall it could be a little more difficult. You will need to get up in the attic and find the inside wall (look for the electrical wiring going down through a hole) in a 2"x4" or 2"x6". The more info I have the better I can coach you through it and... It can be done :)

Twitchy
05-11-2012, 12:22 AM
bit more complicated than that... I have to pull a crap load of Cat5e through walls to setup a network and i want to do it with minimal damage to the wall...

Evolver
05-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Can you get around ok up in the attic?

ak474u
05-11-2012, 12:49 AM
bit more complicated than that... I have to pull a crap load of Cat5e through walls to setup a network and i want to do it with minimal damage to the wall...

Can you get in the attic, and "fish" it up to the attic from your terminal, the run over to the next outlet or hub, then repeat the process in each direction? It's easier to fish a cable up to the attic go across and come back down than to run horizontal. On the other side of it, is there a basement? That could make it easier.

Twitchy
05-11-2012, 01:45 AM
Can you get in the attic, and "fish" it up to the attic from your terminal, the run over to the next outlet or hub, then repeat the process in each direction? It's easier to fish a cable up to the attic go across and come back down than to run horizontal. On the other side of it, is there a basement? That could make it easier.

its a possibility...

Sniper-T
05-11-2012, 11:00 AM
The attic or the basement are your best bets, you can run a cable vertically through a wall easy enough, but you cannot go horizontally without removing drywall. The joists get in the way. So as said, get up in the attic, and have a look around. pictures here would help. You'll probably need some fish tape Fish Tape - What Is a Fish Tape - Electrical Fish Tape (http://electrical.about.com/od/electricaltools/a/fishtape.htm) to pull the wire up there.

Your other option, is to have the cable visible in the room, where you just run it across the floor, either taped or stapled (be careful) beside or on top of the baseboard. Most people wouldn't notice it. If you don't want it visible like that, you can remove the baseboards gouge the wall, and set it in the groove, and put the baseboard back over top. again, careful with your nails/staples.