PDA

View Full Version : green stagnant pool water

rentprop1
05-14-2012, 12:57 AM
so I asked this on another survival forum about a year ago and got a lot of doofus answers ...

situation, you have bugged out .......

this is the only water you have come across in about 5 days , your supply that you had with you is about to run out......what would you do to purify this stagnant pool water in order to drink it .

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/rentprop1/pool/pool005.jpg

bacpacker
05-14-2012, 01:16 AM
Try and scrap off as much of the goo as I can, then tie a towel, bandana, or t-shirt around my PUR water purifier and pump away. I'll have good clean water within minutes.

If I was at home, I would set up a couple of buckets, one filled about halfway up with sand over small gravel, over a cloth or fine screen. This bucket would have several small holes say 1/16' or smaller in the bottom for the water to flow thru into the second bucket sitting below it. Pour the water into the top bucket and wait. Be prepared to filter or purify as needed once the water goes thru the media into the lower bucket.

Sniper-T
05-14-2012, 12:02 PM
yep. If that is the best I could find. What's the alternative, nothing?

I'd pour it through a tshirt or something a couple times first, get rid of the worst of it, then run it through the filter. Good to go

izzyscout21
05-15-2012, 01:56 AM
strain it a few times to get the worst of it out and then make it "holy".........boil the hell out of it.:o

Twitchy
05-15-2012, 02:24 AM
strain it a few times to get the worst of it out and then make it "holy".........boil the hell out of it.:o

I vote this idea...

Now comes the question of, if sterilized via cooking, does the algae have any nutritional value or is it even safe to eat? If it is edible it might save your life...

bacpacker
05-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Vert that question is certainly worth a little research. I never gave that a thought.

Kodiak
05-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Filter and boil. Algae soup anyone?

Grumpy Old Man
05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Pre-Filter through a coffee filter to remove particulates. Then threat with chlorine or your favorite tablet. Finally run through your filter when the remaining turbidity has settled. Boiling is effective as well, but requires significant energy input; I would only boil as a last resort, if I did not have a filter, which I am never without. Learned that the hard way after a bout of Giardia gotten at 11,000 feet from a beautiful clear stream where I boiled the water for 10 minutes. At that elevation I wasn't even close to 212 degrees F.

Evolver
05-16-2012, 01:52 AM
I would do as BP.