PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan Man Plans One Year On Uninhabited Island.

Stormfeather
05-14-2012, 02:10 AM
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Charles Baird is going off the grid for a year.

The 40-year-old oil company employee and filmmaker from Anchorage will move to the mostly uninhabited Latouche Island in Alaska's Prince William Sound at the end of May, completing a dream he's been contemplating for 17 years.

Baird will build a 12x12 shed to shelter him from the elements, and he plans to hunt and fish and fend off an occasional black bear during his sojourn to the Alaska wilderness.

He'll be incommunicado, only allowing himself to send short messages out via a satellite uplink to Alaskan Pioneer | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/AlaskanPioneer) and no way to receive any in. He won't even know who won the November presidential election for six months. He calls his experiment more modern-day homesteading than a survival game, but he's heading into the adventure well-armed.

"I may see some hunters and fishermen come by but otherwise I will be on my own, just me and my dog," he said.

Latouche Island is a narrow strip of land (12 miles long, 3 miles wide) located about 100 miles southwest of the port city of Valdez. Like many islands in Prince William Sound, people digging into the beach there can still find oil from the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill.

The now abandoned Latouche city site once was home to 4,000 people, thanks to copper mining. The mine closed in 1930, and now the island is dotted with occasional seasonal cabins and not much else. The island is mostly used for subsistence hunting.

Kate and Andy McLaughlin live in Chenega Bay, a village six miles away on Evans Island, and own a cabin on Latouche.

Kate McLaughlin doesn't know Baird, but has heard his story many times. In fact, she's written a book about people coming to Alaska to live the remote lifestyle and is in the process of trying to find a publisher.

"We've seen several people of his ilk try to come out and say, 'We're going to build a cabin, we're going to live out here and do it,'" she said. "It's tough."

Some abandoned supplies from those people making earlier attempts can still be found strewn on the beach.

The challenges of Latouche Island are numerous, and foremost is the weather.

"You're fighting the cold or the mold," McLaughlin said of the seemingly constant precipitation, snow and rain.

Baird said the island has anywhere from 80-120 inches of snow in a typical winter, along with 70 inches of rain a year.

The McLaughlins' two-story cabin on the beach had snow up to the roof this winter.

"It's wet, things don't dry out," said Dave Janka, who owns Auklet Charter Services in Cordova. "You get lots of snow."

Much like Cordova, he called Latouche Island "paradise with rain."

"Heavy weather is going to be a constant companion," said RJ Kopchak, a Cordova businessman and former commercial fisherman. "That's what happens there."

Another problem? Black bears. There's a large bear population on the island, and McLaughlin says they "love to get into trouble."

Baird said he'll be safe from the bears. He'll carry a .44 with him at all times, has a shotgun "and a few other weapons, as well." The dog will also alert him to any predators.

There are building restrictions on the uninhabited island, Baird said, so he will have to construct his makeshift cabin without digging into the ground for a foundation.

He plans to have lumber delivered to build his cabin, which will be located about a third of a mile from the beach, about 150 feet up a hill.

He'll have plentiful fishing opportunities.

"The nice thing about the ocean is twice a day you've got a dinner table set out for you," Janka said.

The challenges don't faze Baird, who is ex-military, except perhaps for one.

"Probably the biggest challenge is the isolation," he said, adding it was an issue for some of his classmates in an Air Force Academy survival training course.

Some "did experience hallucinations and even group delusions, just minor things. But it is kind of a concern, being alone that long," he said.

He said he's worked with psychologists at Harvard and the University of Chicago, talking through the things he can expect, like nightmares.

"I think I'll be OK, I've done a lot of work on my own, and I'll also have a dog, which probably will help keep things stabilized," he said.

He also plans to keep busy by reading, taking a couple thousand books on an electronic reader. He'll keep it charged with wind and solar systems he's taking with him.

Baird is planning to keep a diary, which could be turned into a book. He's also thinking of writing an instructional book of how to live in the remote wilderness.

Then there's also the filming, day in and day out, of his experiences alone on the Alaska island.

Once he returns to civilization, he'll edit the video and try to sell it as a documentary series.

Baird is not the first to make or film such an odyssey.

Dick Proenneke lived alone in a remote cabin and kept journals published as the classic Alaska memoir "One Man's Wilderness."

He moved to his cabin in 1968 at the age of 52. Proenneke lived alone until 1998 in what is now Lake Clark National Park and Preserve. He also filmed his adventures, which have been turned into DVDs and were aired on PBS. He died in 2003.

What guns would you take?

The Stig
05-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Wow....not sure Id do well with that much isolation.

Building a building sans foundation also sounds like a challenge.

Hope the wind component of his charging system doesn't break because it doesn't sound like the solar is going to be effective.

More power too him....but damn.

Stormfeather
05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
All true, but I would love to give it a shot and see how I did!

Sniper-T
05-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Sounds like a slightly more remote version of my place. lol

Sounds like a nice getaway to me

Kodiak
05-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Looks like Baird has his work cut out for him with all the rain and snow the island gets, that would be the biggest adjustment for me. Other than missing the wife and kids, it would be nice to get away from main stream society for awhile.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Charles Baird is going off the grid for a year.

Dick Proenneke lived alone in a remote cabin and kept journals published as the classic Alaska memoir "One Man's Wilderness."

He moved to his cabin in 1968 at the age of 52. Proenneke lived alone until 1998 in what is now Lake Clark National Park and Preserve. He also filmed his adventures, which have been turned into DVDs and were aired on PBS. He died in 2003.

Has anyone read or watched this series? It definately looks like something that i would be interested in getting.

piranha2
05-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I have seen it. Search his name on youtube and it has some of his filming. You can buy his dvds at dickproenneke.com

ak474u
05-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! That sounds cold. My luck, I'd make it thru, and the people who were supposed to come get me would forget. I hope he doesn't end up posting "HELLLLP!!!" on Facebook.

Grumpy Old Man
05-14-2012, 05:58 PM
I do believe he may get a case of the shack nasties during the long winter night. But it would be fun to try. He will be committed to staying through the winter once he gets by the October 1 mark. I wish him luck.

The Stig
05-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Wonder how long someone has to be in isolation before they flip out?

mitunnelrat
05-14-2012, 11:26 PM
According to a prison documentary I just watched, it can happen in less than a year with some inmates in solitary, and they have at least some human contact via C.O,'s.

Might not take some folks too long at all.

Sniper-T
05-14-2012, 11:45 PM
I have an uncle that maintains an RTL (registered trap line), he lives in a cabin in the bush from August until April every year, alone. He does get some occasional visitors (family, and the odd other that come across him), but for the most part he is isolated. He has a radio-phone, and makes contact with his family once a week, even if it is just to leave a message saying he is ok. He has been doing this for almost 30 years now, and plans on retiring in another 15. Afterall, 85 is just a little too young to be sitting around at home all the time. Yes, he is 85 now.

Generally by mid-end of winter, he is starting to get a little 'bushed' and any visit will result in hours of tales just so he can talk to someone, and hear about what is happening in the world. There is a good reason for the term 'Mad Trapper'

lol

It takes a unique kind of person to not just survive solitary, but to thrive in it. And most people are social creatures who need contact.

IMO

The Stig
05-14-2012, 11:51 PM
It takes a unique kind of person to not just survive solitary, but to thrive in it. And most people are social creatures who need contact.

Yea, I'm not sure how well I would do in solitary. While I do prefer large quantities of alone time, there's certain limits to that. Besides, its one thing to hide out in the office for an hour to decompress, it's quite another to be devoid of any human contact for months and months

bacpacker
05-15-2012, 01:10 AM
Sounds like a interesting experience. I think I would enjoy this a lot. I have always liked being alone out in the woods. I love hiking alone, but have never been out for more than 2 weeks at a time. It would sure be a challenge, dealing with the mold and all the water/snow. I can't imagine snow up to the roof on the second story.

As far as weapons go, I think the .44 and shotgun would be a sound start. For a rifle I would think a 30.06 or .338 would handle things nicely.

The wind/solar deal is interesting. As much rain/sow as they get, I can't see solar being that effective. Wind on the other hand should work out nicely. Assuming it doesn't get up high enough to destroy it.

LUNCHBOX
05-15-2012, 04:38 AM
I think the wind would be the primary and solar the secondary system for a power source. (I would probably bring a couple backup units also)

I agree the .44 is a definate along with the shotgun. Then it can be any preferance for your rifle I guess.

This plan is the extreme test if you ask me and that dog will be able to talk when they return.

Sniper-T
05-15-2012, 11:41 AM
If the dog doesn't talk... he may need therapy!

I would carry a .357 or a .40, Definately have a shotgun kicking around, but my rifle would be a .22 magnum

realist
05-15-2012, 12:53 PM
The dog would be the savior I would think. I think that a 100 inches of snow is a little much. It is one thing to be alone but this would be house bound. Out in the woods is great when you are able to move around but I do not like the idea of being house bound for several months. I wonder just how much supplies he is going to bring? He will definitely have to stock up if he is going to be house bound for several months.

Weapons would be shotgun, 44 mag, 22 cal and since I would be close maybe something like my 45-70 lever gun for fun, plus it will take down anything I would come across..

Sniper-T
05-15-2012, 01:03 PM
actually it would be rare to be housebound, with the exception of days during actual blizzards. Snow packs and crusts over. your day to day chores would not go away just because of the snow, they just get a little harder.

A couple years ago, we had 6 feet of snow. which in some cases made it easier, as I could drop the firewood down to my deck, I could cut trees while standing over top of the brush, etc. But I did have to shovel that deck, and throw the snow up and away. For the first couple days after a good dump of snow, you might need snowshoes or skis to get around, but then life goes on.

It made for an interesting site in the spring though, the place where I cut some trees was pretty thick brush, and a whole mess of trees all cut off at about 8 feet up. I left the stumps like that for a year, and then went in with a brushcutter to get them.

Kodiak
05-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Good point realist, its one thing to be alone in the woods hunting, trapping and fishing. It's a whole other animal to be couped up in the house with a few feet of snow outside.

GunnerMax
05-15-2012, 01:52 PM
I could do it as long as I had a Year's supply of beer.

and all I would need is a Nagant :)