PDA

View Full Version : How to heat home without electricity modular.

tompnoid
05-16-2012, 05:30 PM
I am new to this so forgive my grammer please. I have a very nice modular i picked up a year or two ago nestled in a valley very nice location good people around fresh spring creek lots of woods and land. Now how do i heat it sans electric due to no real base under it for a wood stove. I was debating on going solar but with 2 kids and not alot of good paying jobs around here its out of reach financially. so what do i do?

Sniper-T
05-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Drag it 1000 miles South??

Geez, no electric, no wood, no solar, and no money...

That is a toughie!

How big is it? maybe a couple of smaller woodstoves rather than one big monster??

tompnoid
05-16-2012, 06:21 PM
like 20 by 72 i mean is shtf no electric no way i can run a furnace off of any real source and besides oil would run out quick

slowz1k
05-16-2012, 07:51 PM
I keep a Kero-Sun as a backup to supplement my HeatPump,Woodstove, and fireplace.

http://www.toyotomiusa.com/products/portableheaters/images/O-105.jpg

I don't use it often, but it's come in very handy during a few ice storms. Good for heating the "room you're in"... Plus Kerosene keeps for a reeeeeealy long time.

tompnoid
05-16-2012, 10:37 PM
I keep a Kero-Sun as a backup to supplement my HeatPump,Woodstove, and fireplace.

http://www.toyotomiusa.com/products/portableheaters/images/O-105.jpg

I don't use it often, but it's come in very handy during a few ice storms. Good for heating the "room you're in"... Plus Kerosene keeps for a reeeeeealy long time.

even that i stow usually like 30 gallons of kero for the house anyway but if that runs out no electric no pumps how do i re fuel i think i have found a wood system for like 800 that aint bad i am just wondering if it will heat the whole house i cant put in hall way id have to use fans or something to draw heat in the back of the house

tompnoid
05-16-2012, 10:46 PM
i have a different thought pattern then lets stock all we can into this small space mostly because room is tough and you will never have enought o really be sustainable for gasoline and kerosene unless you invest like 30k which is pretty tough for a guy with 2 kids and wife who earns 35k a year. i am thinking long term like i am staying put ta hell with running off to some camp i am in the woods already in a good position far as defense is concerned and i stuck tot he code as far as any man passing by to chat gets a beer and some good conversation and i cut the lawns of old people who can't do for themselves so my neighbors will stand up if be with me. i have a boat good access to a river plenty of land to plant around me and trees everywhere we can suvive and survive well i stay with no less then 300lbs of meat in the deep freeser with a chest full of ice that lasted 3 weeks with no losses last year when the hurricane hit and we lost power.when it was 110 degrees outside. i was thinking of converting the truck to alcohol and starting a still so i can produce my own fuel and since it is pre computers a emp wont affect it at all.

AlphaTea
05-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Dude, why do you think you cant have a wood stove?
Mom lives in a modular home and has one. She uses it exclusively for heat in the winter.
I got her one of those heat powered fans and believe me it will heat quite a bit.
You said the area is wooded, use it.

tompnoid
05-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Dude, why do you think you cant have a wood stove?
Mom lives in a modular home and has one. She uses it exclusively for heat in the winter.
I got her one of those heat powered fans and believe me it will heat quite a bit.
You said the area is wooded, use it.

yah i was thinkin the same after some research just gotta build some stuff and possibly put in a support for it

AlphaTea
05-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Just how big a stove are you thinking of getting?
Look at it this way. How much do you think a full bathtub weighs? 500 lbs at the most.
How many tubs you got in your house?
A family of 4 sitting around the dinner table would probably weigh more.
By "a support", do you mean a pedistal. Good idea. Deffinetly would not place directly on a bare floor.
Mom found a corner on an outside wall in the living room. Had a raised platform built about 4". 6'x6' with the stove just a little closer to the back. Placed some kind of backer board down, tiled the whole thing and the wall about 4' up. Stove is not that big either. Maybe 30"w X 30"h X 18"d.

tompnoid
05-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Just how big a stove are you thinking of getting?
Look at it this way. How much do you think a full bathtub weighs? 500 lbs at the most.
How many tubs you got in your house?
A family of 4 sitting around the dinner table would probably weigh more.
By "a support", do you mean a pedistal. Good idea. Deffinetly would not place directly on a bare floor.
Mom found a corner on an outside wall in the living room. Had a raised platform built about 4". 6'x6' with the stove just a little closer to the back. Placed some kind of backer board down, tiled the whole thing and the wall about 4' up. Stove is not that big either. Maybe 30"w X 30"h X 18"d.

i have to put in some support under the house because i wanna put stone down under it to keep the floor from catching fire (kinda important) so witht he stone going in i wanna support the area under house that plus the stove will be like 1000lbs plus where i wanna put it in imma have to replace windows with wall or atleast one or two of thembay windows

AlphaTea
05-17-2012, 10:23 PM
You are way over thinking this.
I think it would be a good idea for you to go by a place that sells stoves and have a talk with with a person who is knowlegable in this area.
They usually have working floor models and can give you some good tips.

ladyhk13
05-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Just my .02 cents worth... the kero heater is horrible on the lungs if you are trying to heat a house with it (especially with children) and will make your ceiling black over a short period of time - I've had to clean up the mess.
Next, when you decide to put a wood stove in your house you might want to consider putting it on an inside wall instead of an exterior because it will keep your house warmer (you will lose less heat). IMHO.

AlphaTea
05-18-2012, 01:44 AM
Just my .02 cents worth... the kero heater is horrible on the lungs if you are trying to heat a house with it (especially with children) and will make your ceiling black over a short period of time - I've had to clean up the mess.
Next, when you decide to put a wood stove in your house you might want to consider putting it on an inside wall instead of an exterior because it will keep your house warmer (you will lose less heat). IMHO.
Much wisdom in this post.:)

Remember though, some times it is easier to run chimney through a wall than through the roof.

ak474u
05-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Modular homes are built on I beams, and have light gauge struts projecting to the perimeter of the module. When I worked for a mfd. home company, we had to reinforce the frame for corner garden tubs, because it would literally stress the frame and make it sag. We had an upgrade for people who wanted a water bed in their room too. That being said, in lots of our houses, we had standard residential fire boxes for the fireplace. We didn't use stone for the hearth, we used 24" ceramic tile, and concrete backer board. I'd feel just fine with a wood stove in an interior corner (between the I beams) with a nice big square of tiled flooring around it. Definitely glue, and crew your underlayment so it doesn't flex with the movement of the house. I'd probably also treat the wall near it the same way, and tile it to provide fire resistance, and some focusing of the heat toward the space you're living in. My .02. Hope it's helpful.

Ooh, ooh, ooh, almost forgot... If its a double wide, and IIRC you said 20x72' so I think it is, unless the modular is on a stem wall foundation, don't put your hearth tile that I mentioned above over the "mating line" or the joint between the sides, that joint expands and contracts, and it'll jack your tile up.