PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried to start a worm farm?

tompnoid
05-16-2012, 09:06 PM
I started mine like 4 months ago it is a great way to get free worms and all you need is a 5 gallon bucket some newpaper and some dirt put the newspaper in first a little water then pour dirt in and toss in worms. i just went and bought 3 18 packs it keeps me catfishing everyweekend toss in a little water and some coffee grounds or egg shells. up here the catfish bite on night crawlers much better then chicken livers and it doesnt require you to have nylon to hold the liver on

msomnipotent
05-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Worm composting in on my list of things to do this month. I am doing it mainly for the compost benefit, but we like to fish, too.

Sniper-T
05-23-2012, 03:59 PM
I've been doing it for years. both for composting purposes and for fishing.

I used to get frustrated whenever I needed some, and they were all at the bottom of the box/pail or whatever, so I modified my box to have both a hinged lid, and a hinged bottom. (plywood box). Then, whenever I needed some, I would just flip the box, open it up, and there they were.

bacpacker
05-24-2012, 01:32 AM
I started one last April. They did well for 3 weeks, then we had the hail storm which drilled holes in the tote I had them in. The tub filled with water and I was so busy trying to figure out what to do with all the damage it was over a week before I realized they were flooded. Way too late at that point.
I need to order some more and get that project back up and running. Not much better for the garden.

tompnoid
05-24-2012, 05:14 PM
I started one last April. They did well for 3 weeks, then we had the hail storm which drilled holes in the tote I had them in. The tub filled with water and I was so busy trying to figure out what to do with all the damage it was over a week before I realized they were flooded. Way too late at that point.
I need to order some more and get that project back up and running. Not much better for the garden.

i keep mine in the shed to keep it out of the elements

bacpacker
05-24-2012, 06:46 PM
I had mine against the house and under a bush to sahde it. The hail still found it.

Foghorn
05-26-2012, 04:02 PM
I use worms in my compost pile and under the rabbit cages.

Vodin
05-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Ok Worm farms. It seems to be a relatively easy thing... I am doing a ton of research on stuff so I kick out wht info I gots. : )
Try this link you will diffenetly be pleased. (And yes I am contemplating farming fish from my pond)

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/Raisingcatfishinabarrel.pdf

I live in Colorado so the winter would nix the worm farm for me since it becomes to cold and I would need power to keep it warm. And my wife aint to 'thrilled' about me farming worms in the basement. How can I argue with a woman who cooks and bakes the way she does.

bacpacker
05-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Vodin have you looked at installing a buried ice box type cooler

My grandpa did that back in the 70s and it worked well for him. At the time i was younger and not paying attention to details like i should have been. But he supplied worms for fishing to a couple of stores and all he could use.

Vodin
05-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Vodin have you looked at installing a buried ice box type cooler

My grandpa did that back in the 70s and it worked well for him. At the time i was younger and not paying attention to details like i should have been. But he supplied worms for fishing to a couple of stores and all he could use.

That is something I have never heard of. The thing that kinda makes me take a step back is when we get the snow. Dont know if I want to dig out worms so I can dig up worms to feed the fish. Table scraps fer the fish sound a we bit less frustrating. But I will research it and see what the possibilities would be. Thank you for that info.

Vodin
05-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Ok, your grandpa had an awesome idea for summer and winter here is the link.

Worm Farm - North American Fishing Club - Fishing Clubs | Fishing Forums | North American Fishing Club - Fishing Club Forum - Fishing Lures and Baits (http://web2.fishingclub.com/my-nafc/forums/aft/33269)

Now I will need to contemplate the possibilities.

Foghorn
05-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Ok, your grandpa had an awesome idea for summer and winter here is the link.

Worm Farm - North American Fishing Club - Fishing Clubs | Fishing Forums | North American Fishing Club - Fishing Club Forum - Fishing Lures and Baits (http://web2.fishingclub.com/my-nafc/forums/aft/33269)

Now I will need to contemplate the possibilities.

We've got the shell from an old washing machine buried that we use to store potatoes in for the winter. When it gets cold we throw a couple of square bales of hay over the top. Potatoes stay good all winter, I don't see why worms with the proper bedding would have a problem

Sniper-T
05-28-2012, 01:30 PM
That's a neat idea, but wouldn't it be difficult to dig down to the bottom of it? And I think the climate would dictate if it were to work. Up here The ground will freeze solid for up to 6 months. I really can't see them surviving.

Incidentally, I have always fed mine cornmeal.

mitunnelrat
06-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Is there any reason why you couldn't put your hinged box within a ground box?

Seems like it would be an extra layer of insulation and easier to access that way.

Vodin
06-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I thought just hit me.... do Worms hibernate? Kinda silly thinking a bird flies em in when springs hits. And we got 2-3 every shovel full in our garden... so I must be missing something about worm habitat...

Grumpy Old Man
06-12-2012, 11:21 PM
My family's experience with worm raising is here, post # 169

http://www.shtfready.com/f22/funny-side-life-1352/index17.html

msomnipotent
07-05-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't think I am cut out to be a worm rancher. The fancy-pants worms I bought will only eat corn meal and need slightly damp sphagnum moss. I was expecting food scraps and plain old dirt. At least they have stopped escaping. I am tired of scraping worm carcass off of the concrete floor.

Sniper-T
07-05-2012, 06:09 PM
try soaking down a section of newspaper, and tossing that in there. if you keep it wet, it will serve as food, mulch, bedding material, everything. Once it is about 1/2 gone, repeat