PDA

View Full Version : What do you have tool wise in B.O.B.?

tompnoid
05-18-2012, 07:06 PM
It dawned on me after reading alot of these threads not alot of talk about tools. what if you are forced into nature hiding for a while do you have a ax a hatchet a hammer and some nails a saw? a machete how about a small tool kit with screw drivers and sockets for repairing cars as needed? or even tightening a knife blade or a utility knife for self medical repair. a needle and thread a measuring tape? some twine for settting traps if need be? i know this seems heavy but those of us with family can split up some of this weight. how about a pick axe or shovel for basic gardening? Just trying to get some imput

mitunnelrat
05-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Machetes, hatchets, hand saws and 'hawks have actually gotten quite a bit of scrutiny here. One or another of them is a basic item for most of our kits it seems.

You're more likely to find discussion on mechanic's tools in the transportation section. I personally don't have enough mechanical know-how to warrant packing any. What I do know how to use stays in a box in my car.

Pioneer (gardening) tools are also better left as a vehicle kit, imo, as are carpentry tools.

You can live without any of those things, so I'd recommend limiting a BOB's contents to those things you can't live without. If you simply can't bear parting with them, I'd say add a cart as part of an INCH system, that way, if pressed, you can easily drop the weight and boogie without losing essentials too.

tompnoid
05-18-2012, 10:16 PM
I dig that traveling light is essential but man you gotta have gear to eat more then 3 or 4 days what about long term. i was just trying to get a feel for what people are packing and what my thoughts is like if i were going out to the woods what would i need to get by in say january or even november imma need real shelter and alot of fire wood it drops below zero out here for 4 months a year. and i got little ones ya know 10 8 and 4 plus a wife if we had to roll what would we need to live in the woods

Evolver
05-18-2012, 10:58 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUeb85jCtmAWE9LXkfMByfb7VsBIBZT zhUHqFYFpr7W6_0i5jjcA
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/038313/038313072650xl.jpg

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSadvRMZ-50stJ5ZU7ZwgnfTRFdM8kFkHgQs8rWdBGBdzm8fOqT

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWb_Kh5bqWzN_D8FwOPh6VFXx0fNxd8 hoEjH_eCIG2QoOCmC2k

Echo2
05-18-2012, 11:03 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-F1R_BB3GY9c/TgnfdWl3dEI/AAAAAAAAAx0/7joVL73S5w8/s320/9b2a8cf87d95222da529a2f5d9476405.jpg

tompnoid
05-18-2012, 11:04 PM
always keep a leatherman man whoever invented that deserves a noble prize i was thinking big axe
and dig the metal wire where u find that??
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg57dmSa6msbvVPbwjhXgaLb6cMVC_f _YYYUKIpQ5cCDhVF741yc2Jmwhttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwhG9-CJh5DqeLBP589W1GA9c0wzbUkci9XbgF4s33TQTvT4PInCy-0Q

Echo2
05-18-2012, 11:07 PM
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2723/5797904620_8e5d46af73_b.jpg

Echo2
05-18-2012, 11:10 PM
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6125/5955584224_13b6b43994_b.jpg

Evolver
05-18-2012, 11:14 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNzufR0_w87YQsGwl3n7OoOwBVIk0qI EVQlVRyKMJ5EoNuOYCd

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9BJ3e-_0uGiRu_vIy52j39NlTkA8rPBVgOR1Dce_Gdifc6r-h

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6n1QffoPlMJT_a5F3NiV8phMUuXzyS NK-fU3Gfg2-F2pAZFSm3w

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQX1jQWprz9bVZ8a5l3tN-R-OWEZQ5FqEa4Y7NY_ys456rm7Cyn

And Yes I do consider these as tools. :)

tompnoid
05-18-2012, 11:27 PM
duct tape of course duct tape is tool the wrap is really heavy i work for a shipping company it is stupid heavy easy 20 lbs that rope u live around alot of rocks?? or cliffs?

tompnoid
05-18-2012, 11:31 PM
dig the bowie with a compass http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/mZeFb8JWDSaQ801_GZEHTcQ/140.jpg mine a little bigger but i always keep a small knife for basics oh how about a knife sharpener?

tompnoid
05-18-2012, 11:36 PM
i hate carrying wrap around it is my nemisis if u put it on the lift it rolls off and then goes across the floor and the begining gets lost and you got to cut it and then it wont wrap right

Jerry D Young
05-19-2012, 01:17 AM
I have the following Tools & Hardware. Most of it is on me, except the larger, heavier items, which are carried on my game cart.

1 Cold Steel field knife
1 Wenger Survivor Swiss Army Knife
1 Leatherman Surge multi-tool w/bit set
1 Leatherman Crunch multi-tool
1 8” mill file
1 Duraworx mini-planting tool (small pick/mattock)
1 Cold Steel Rifleman’s Tomahawk
1 Cold Steel Special Forces e-tool
1 Sven folding saw
1 Pocket chainsaw
1 Glass cutter
1 Stanley multi-tip screwdriver
1 Rediedge pocket knife sharpener
1 12’ sling rope
1 Cold Steel 24” Latin machete

1 box bright color pushpins (marking trails)
12 marbles (to tie off tarps)
1 300’ 550 cord
1 roll Gorilla duct tape
1 12 gauge x 15’ insulated electrical wire
1 16 gauge x 50’ mechanic’s wire
1 24 gauge x 55’ brass wire
1 Roll 3M ¾” x 66’ electrical tape
1 Industrial JB weld
1 Tube of Goop
1 Tube of clear Shoe Goo
1 Small spray can WD-40
1 Small can 3-in-1 oil
12 small screw eyes
12 medium screw eyes
12 small screw J-hooks
12 medium screw J-hooks
12 11” releasable tie-wraps
12 4” 10d nails
4 7” spike nails
4 Mini sharpies
1 Mini spray can orange paint
1 1” x 200’ orange survey tape

And I intend to add these as money permits.

1 Blazer PB 207 2500 degree micro torch
1 Victorinox Swiss Army Work Champ Swiss Army Knife
1 Leatherman Supertool 300
1 Channellock Rescue tool w/pliers, wire cutter, prybar, and glass breaker
1 Stanley 18” Entry Tool
1 Stanley 30” Entry tool
1 small block & tackle
1 D-handle small round point shovel
1 Grand Shelters Icebox Igloo building tool
1 Life-Link snow saw

Echo2
05-19-2012, 01:19 AM
I have the following Tools & Hardware. Most of it is on me, except the larger, heavier items, which are carried on my game cart.

1 Cold Steel field knife
1 Wenger Survivor Swiss Army Knife
1 Leatherman Surge multi-tool w/bit set
1 Leatherman Crunch multi-tool
1 8” mill file
1 Duraworx mini-planting tool (small pick/mattock)
1 Cold Steel Rifleman’s Tomahawk
1 Cold Steel Special Forces e-tool
1 Sven folding saw
1 Pocket chainsaw
1 Glass cutter
1 Stanley multi-tip screwdriver
1 Rediedge pocket knife sharpener
1 12’ sling rope
1 Cold Steel 24” Latin machete

1 box bright color pushpins (marking trails)
12 marbles (to tie off tarps)
1 300’ 550 cord
1 roll Gorilla duct tape
1 Industrial JB weld
1 Tube of Goop
1 Tube of clear Shoe Goo
1 Small spray can WD-40
1 Small can 3-in-1 oil
12 small screw eyes
12 medium screw eyes
12 small screw J-hooks
12 medium screw J-hooks
12 4” 10d nails
4 7” spike nails
4 Mini sharpies

And I intend to add these as money permits.

1 Channellock Rescue tool w/pliers, wire cutter, prybar, and glass breaker
1 Stanley 18” Entry Tool
1 Stanley 30” Entry tool
1 small block & tackle
1 D-handle small round point shovel
1 Grand Shelters Icebox Igloo building tool
1 Life-Link snow saw

How much does that weigh Jerry?

Jerry D Young
05-22-2012, 07:43 PM
15 pounds, give or take, with only about 3 on me, and it is spread around pretty good. The other 12 pounds or so are on the game cart. The item count looks high, but most of the items are only a few ounces each, though those ounces do add up. I'm a firm believer in having as many options covered as possible intially, and to leave behind or c cache what I won't likely need as I see how the scenario plays out.

Editted to add: The fifteen pounds doesn't include the items I don't have yet. They are larger and heavier with most of them going onto the game cart, adding another 12 to 15 pounds to it and only a pound or two to me.

Grumpy Old Man
05-22-2012, 09:10 PM
15 pounds, give or take, with only about 3 on me, and it is spread around pretty good. The other 12 pounds or so are on the game cart. The item count looks high, but most of the items are only a few ounces each, though those ounces do add up. I'm a firm believer in having as many options covered as possible intially, and to leave behind or c cache what I won't likely need as I see how the scenario plays out.

Editted to add: The fifteen pounds doesn't include the items I don't have yet. They are larger and heavier with most of them going onto the game cart, adding another 12 to 15 pounds to it and only a pound or two to me.

Jerry, would you please post your list of your BOB on the game cart? And also the various SHTF scenarios you have identified. I'd like to see them again and I'm sure others here may not have seen them at all. I had that thread subscribed or whatever it was when I was an Arboreal Rodent before the Great Cleansing.

BTW Ants, Jerry has the most complete and well thought out lists of items for SHTF you'll ever see.

Jerry D Young
05-26-2012, 08:48 PM
As requested.

Please note: I get a lot of negative feedback on this list because it is so comprehensive. It is intended to be a planning tool, the items selected to cover a multitude of situations. Not everything would be carried at once. And I have to reiterate, this is partially a want list. I don't have everything on it, though I do plan of acquiring it all.

Though I do have several other small kits, my primary kit is a general use kit. I keep it ready to go for any emergency. Since I can’t carry much on my back, I use a game cart to handle the overwhelming majority of the items.

And since I have to use it anyway, I take advantage of the weight & space capacity and take rather more than most people recommend. Some of the additional weight and space is in the gear, but much of it, however, is in food. I can last well over a month just on what food I have with me.

If the situation changes, or is such that I must lighten or reduce the size of the load, I can merely drop or cache what I don’t need and keep going. Since I plan for many different situations, and can’t afford the duplication necessary for having a bag for each situation, I went with the following non-specific kit:

Field equipment kit (Evac/BOB/BIB/GOOD/INCH/DHS)

(Well on the way to having it all, but not quite yet.)

(It is a fairly comprehensive pick and choose list covering all four seasons and the terrain here in the High Desert. Not everyone needs everything. Some items would be left behind or cached, depending on the circumstances. And there are cheaper options available for some of the items for those on a tight budget.)

(Also note that some of the items listed in the sub-kits are not carried together, but are in the backup supplies. I kept them together in the list for clarity)

As to quantities of consumables, since I can carry much more on the game cart than I can on my back, I go for one month plus. I think three days minimum, seven days much better, and a month or more preferred. You will eat more when on the move than when bugging in, so up the amounts you think you would eat by 10% - 25%. Somewhere in the kit should be important documents in a water proof container.

Just my opinions.

Worn:

Propper khaki public service Tactical Pants – best quality/price/feature I’ve found
Propper khaki public service Tactical shirt – as above
Orvis Leather money pants belt (with 1/10 ounce gold Eagles) – nice belt, with slot. Gold coins for emergencies
Rustedfables The Grizzly Leather Suspenders (brown) – hold the pants up better than elastic ones
Wintersilks Boxer briefs (white) – very light, dries quickly
Wintersilks v-neck T-shirt (white) – very light, dries quickly
Wintersilk silk liner socks – good wicking, very light, dries quickly
Merino wool socks – very warm even when wet
Danner Ft. Lewis boots – just all around good boots w/goretex lining
Akruba Territory Hat with chin strap wide brim hat (brown) – for sun protection
Peltor Comtact II dual radio talk through hearing protection communications headset – best available I’ve found
Petzl TacTikka XP LED headlamp on hat – has the features I want
2 tan bandannas – Gotta have two. One for the nose, one for the neck or whatever
Hatch Operator lightweight gloves – good for mild weather tasks that are hard on the hands.
Hatch XTAK tan elbow pads – I fall down a lot
Hatch XTAK tan knee pads – Ditto above
Timex Automatic Self winding watch – No worries about batteries or winding, good price compared to others
Wiley X JP-2-510 photochromic sunglasses – the only ones of quality I could find
Zippo lighter/Brunton Helos butane lighter – Either will do. Easier to carry fuel for the butane, Zippo works at altitude
Pantac Wallet C wallet w/cash & ID (tan) – just a nice simple nylon wallet. Cash… well, can’t have too much
Maglight Solitare flashlight w/Tectite LED conversion w/AAA battery – extremely bright for 1 AAA
Cold Steel Voyager medium plain edge pocket knife – good size/function/quality/price combination
Spyderco CO8 Harpy pocket clip knife – hawkbill serated blade for getting out of lines, nets, and is a wicked last ditch weapon
Tec-tite Tekna Ocean Edge Arm knife – an option for the boot knife. Already has harness for arm use
Cold Steel Counter Tac II boot knife – good quality and price if you need a boot knife
Nikon compact binoculars on chest harness (alternate: 7x50 Steiner Commander XP C) – have the Nikons, nice and small and very capable
Write in the rain notebook in left shirt pocket – for note taking. Works well for a nice price
2 Fisher Tactical Space pens in left shirt pocket – can’t lose the cap since there isn’t one. Write anywhere
Arrowtech W-742 Dosimeter in left shirt pocket – if planning for nuke situation. Good price for new production
Arrowtech W-138RM pen type rate meter in left shirt pocket – can use this instead of W-742 plus has rate meter function
Cell phone in right shirt pocket – useful in some situation. Might not work in an emergency, but emergencies aren’t all the time.
Dakota Alert M538-HT MURS hand held radio in pants radio pocket – Best option I’ve found for short rang comms.
Garman Oregon 550T GPS in pants left cargo pouch (opt) – best of the bunch in my opinion, if you’re going to use one
Kestrel 4500NV weather instrument in pants right cargo pouch (opt) – again, the best of the ones I’ve found if you need one
Key ring w/Benchmade knife sharpener, whistle – Sharpener is very small and very effective, whistle is for signalling
Leather change purse w/silver coins (brown) – the coins are for emergencies. The change purse keeps them together, separate from other things in the pocket
Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP w/4 spare magazines in pocket holster in right rear pants pocket – great hideout gun, and the .32 ACP is useable in cartridge adapters in .308 and .30-’06 rifles for almost silent hunting of small game

In FMCO CSV-M10 Vest (4 double magazine pouches, 2 large utility pouches, 2 small utility pouches, 620ci field pack): High quality/military type accepted, purpose built, no mesh, no plastic zippers, no Velcro, pouches made to fit

8 20-round .308 magazine in 4 double pouches – about the maximum I can carry plus the rest of the items in the vest
Brunton 8010G compass in 2nd small utility pouch – Very good quality/size/price option
Motorola HT-750 low band business band handheld radio in 2nd small utility pouch – Low Band VHF (just above CB) gives the best medium range comms I think that are available besides Amateur radios Expensive
Survival kit* in first large utility pouch – See below
Hardware and tools kit** in second large utility pouch – See below
MSR 3-liter hydration bladder in attached field pack – MSR is as good or better than the competition. Had good luck with their products. I’m in the high desert. Need a lot of water.

On TAG MOLLE Belt: - easy adjust, high quality

Glock 21SF in Tactical Taylor MOLLE holster (alternate: ParaOrdnance P-14) – Glock for price & capacity, holster can be configured in several ways
Surefire G2 flashlight in Specter Gear MOLLE pouch – Great basic light, not too expensive. The pouch is the only one I’ve found specifically for the G2
Cold Steel Oda in Spec-Ops MOLLE sheath – Based on the Randal #1, the Oda has a good sheath, but not MOLLE. The Spec-ops sheath solves the problem
IFA kit in Custom Tactical SAR MOLLE pouch*** - See below
Kleen Kanteen 40oz SS water bottle w/18oz cup & Maxpedition 4x10 MOLLE carrier – extra capacity/large opening/can be heated/big cup, & the pouch carries both plus room for other things, too.
Soldiers Optimized Butt pack w/GI Poncho & Ranger Rick liner attached, 3 days food (jerky, gorp, Millennium ration bars), Otis Tactical gun cleaning kit, CD V-750 Model 6 manual dosimeter charger – SOB is laid out fairly well. Best of the aftermarkets I’ve found. Ranger Rick liner has head hole and zipper for sleeping bag, Otis Tactical will clean all the weapons I have or plan to get. The V-750M6 doesn’t need batteries to charge dosimeters
Kleen Kanteen 40oz SS water bottle w/cup & Maxpedition 4x10 MOLLE carrier – second one for same reason
OKC-3S bayonet in MOLLE sheath – like the Oda, the OKC-3S is much like the Randle R-1. Comes with the MOLLE sheath
HSGI MOLLE Dump pouch – I like the construction of this one better than the competition for holding empties
Leatherman Surge in one pocket of Spec-Ops brand dual MOLLE pouch – best balance of function vs weight. The dual sheath is easy to adjust and can take different sized items
Wenger Survivor Swiss Army Knife in one pocket of Spec-Ops brand dual MOLLE pouch – It’s called the Survivor for a reason.
Spec-Ops brand double MOLLE pouch w/2 pistol magazines – have extra magazine in the other gear. Two is enough. Same thing on the double pouch as above

Kifaru Marauder 2,500ci MOLLE back pack w/cargo chair & gunbearer options – Great quality, the smallest of the Kifaru that will take the cargo chair (I think). The chair and gunbearer let me carry what ever I need and have both hands free

In Marauder:

MSR 3-liter hydration bladder – second bladder. Just have to have plenty of water
SAS Survival Handbook – Best of the field manuals in my opinion.
Food for 3 days (Jerky, gorp, Millennium ration bars) – light, compact, nourishing, and tastes good
Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter w/MP-1 tablets – best of the small filters in my opinion
Extra underwear – standard reasons
Extra socks – standard reasons
Double zip-locked packet of important papers (copies of licenses, deeds, insurance, etc.) – might not be able to recover the originals

On Marauder:

PTR-91 MBR in gunbearer (alternate: Springfield M1A) – best value for the money in a .308. Prefer the .308 for its versatility
Left side 64 oz Kleen Kanteen water bottle in Maxpedition 12 x 5 pouch – just more water. Unlike the bladders, can be poured from canteen to pot
Right side 64 oz Kleen Kanteen water bottle in Maxpedition 12 x 5 pouch – ditto above
Cold Steel E-tool – multipurpose. Digging, cooking, making debris huts, CQC weapon, best of the bunch in my opinion
Cold Steel Rifleman’s tomahawk – prefer a hawk with a hammer head. I like Cold Steel’s quality vs price

Cabela’s Super magnum game cart w/dual wheel option w/ - best one out there

1st Rubbermaid Action Packer 8-gallon tote w/additional clothing
2 sets Propper outerwear
1 set Orvis brown herringbone wool pants & Filson original wool button down shirt – cold weather
2 sets Wintersilks heavyweight silk long john bottom , v-neck top, & liner socks, merino wool socks – for medium cold weather
2 sets Eddie Bauer merino wool long john bottom, zip neck top, liner socks & Carhartt boot socks - for very cold weather
5 sets Wintersilks silk v-neck T-shirts & boxer briefs
5 sets each of: silk liner socks, wool liner socks, merino wool socks, Carhartt wool boot socks
2 sets each of: silk glove liners, wool glove liners
10 bandanas – can’t have too many
1 extra pair Hatch Operator lightweight gloves
1 Travelsmith leather safari coat medium coat (brown) – medium weather
1 pair of Tempest insulated/water proof gloves – cold weather gloves
1 Tasman lined drover’s coat (brown) – Cold weather coat
1 set Hat Flap ear warmers – to keep ears warm when wearing wide brim hat
1 Adventure Medical Kits Backpacker’s sewing kit – small, inexpensive and effective
1 pair Cabela’s Elk moccasins w/shearling lining – for those safe camps in the fall, winter, and spring
1 pair Keen Newport H2 sandals – For water work
1 pair Wiley X Nerve Goggle w/4 spare lenses – Best effective goggles I’ve found for the price
1 Pick-of-life ice escape picks – carried handy in the winter when around the water/ice

2nd Rubbermaid Action Packer 8-gallon tote w/tools, spares, and extras
1 Grand Shelters Icebox Igloo building tool – for deep snow areas, not needed most places
1 Grand Shelters Igloo door ditto above
1 Duraworx mini-planting tool – substitute for the GI pick mattock
1 Channellock Model 88 rescue tool – wire cutter, pry bar, wrench
1 8” mill file – to sharpen axe/machete/e-tool
1 small block & tackle
1 EZE-Lap diamond paddle sharpening set – for extreme sharpening
1 Wyoming knife w/3 spare blades – the classic for skinning big game
300’ coyote brown 550 cord – used for all kinds of things. Can’t have too much
Yaesu VR-500 wide band all mode handheld receiver w/Miracle Ducker LT antenna – smallest, most capable of the all band/all mode handheld receivers. The antenna keeps things compact, but better than the original
1 Yaesu FT-897D w/Miracle Ducker TL tunable whip, Yo-Yo 6-reel dipole antenna – 100w HF/VHF/UHF all mode amateur radio/all band/all mode receiver
1 Dakota Alert M538-HT MURS handheld radio – extra short-range radio
2 Dakota Alert MAPS vehicle detectors w/MURS transmitter – perimeter security works with M538 radios
4 Dakota Alert MAT motion sensors w/MURS transmitters – ditto above
1 Night Watch 2 circuit tripwire alarm w/tripwire – hard to find, but effective and not too expensive
1 Energizer windup LED flashlight – cheap and reliable so far
1 Brunton SolarPort 4.4 & BattJack AA/AAA solar battery charger – keeps AA/AAA nicad rechargeables up to snuff
1 Brunton Solo 15 & 3 Solaris 52 PV panels solar power supply – high priced, but effective portable power
1 Gill net – best fishing option I’ve found
1 Mobley’s Frog/fish gig head w/extra tines & telescoping pole – compact, inexpensive, effective on small game as well as fish and frogs
1 set Bow string, nocks, fletching, binding, various arrowheads, B&A tool – to make expedient bow in the field with best chance of success
1 reel Heavy fishline, for fishing arrows & gig head – don’t want to lose the arrows or gig
1 Dozen Snare One 7x7 5/64” 42” cable snares w/swivel end – some of the best snares in my opinion. Used in lieu of hunting when camped in one place for a while
1 Exploration Products Fresh Water Fishing kit w/kite string winder – nice inexpensive kit. String winder to save the hands from getting cut up on the line
2 CR-1 spares carriers w/G-2 bulb & 6 CR-123A spare batteries each – keep the bulb and batteries together & protected
Extra CR-123A batteries in 4-cell carriers -
Extra AA rechargeable batteries in 4-cell carriers
Extra AAA rechargeable batteries in 6-cell carriers
Extra pair Danner boots – if possible
Extra boot laces
Extra Zippo fuel, spare wicks & flints
Extra butane fuel for lighter
Extra butane torch fuel
Extra first aid supplies
Extra hardware
Extra ammunition in bandoleers
Extra Otis gun cleaning patches and Breakfree CLP

3rd Rubbermaid Action Packer 8-gallon tote w/cooking, water, & sanitations items
1 Sawyer Point Zero Two Absolute 4-liter water purification system – best of the purifiers in my opinion
4 10-liter MSR water bladders – can carry plenty of extra water in a conformable bladder
1 MSR Campers washcloth & towel, AGS Labs Camp soap, compact hair brush, toothbrush & tooth powder, other hygiene items normally used – gotta stay clean
4 Charmin To-Go Toilet paper packets/wipe rags(boiled and sun dried to sanitize) – gotta go
1 Gold Bond Foot powder – essential in very hot or humid conditions
1 Chapstik SPF-15 lib balm – prevents lip burn
1 4oz bottle Herbal 22 Insect repellent – keeps the insects away in a good container
1 pocket pack Q-tips – I have waxy ears.
1 MSR Dragonfly multi-fuel stove – Very effective, good price, reliable
4 MSR fuel bottles – at least one spare. Four are better
1 German GI nesting knife/fork/spoon/can opener set – heavy, but also heavy duty, includes good can opener
1 MSR SS cook set w/tea kettle & kitchen tools – a bit heavy, but tough as all get out
8 SS cooking skewers – for cooking small game, roasting tubers, etc over open fire
1 Coleman SS steel double wall cup – keeps the hot chocolate and hot tea hot for a while in the cold mornings and evenings
1 REI Backpackers fire grill – for when you have an open fire but building a pit/fire ring is difficult or impossible
1 GSI pressure cooker w/liner pot – an option that allows quicker cooking of many dishes. Can leave behind
1 Lodge Cast iron skillet w/lid – for set camps using fresh foods. Can leave behind
1 Lodge Dutch oven w/lid – as above
1 Fire tongs – when planning open fires
1 Grilling basket – as above
1 pair 19” fireplace fireproof gloves – as above

4th Rubbermaid Action Packer 8-gallon tote w/food - basic cooking supplies and foods
Salt
Pepper
beef bouillon
sugar
spices
baking powder
coconut oil
honey
flour
corn meal
powdered milk
lentils
dried beans
rice
tea bags
hot chocolate packets
Emergen-C packets
lemon juice
hard candy
waxed chocolate
Tootsie Rolls
Chickletts 2-piece chewing gum
Millennium ration bars
Snickers Marathon Protein Bars
Jerky
Pemmican U.S. Wellness Meats — Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too. (http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=731)
dried fruit
fruit cake
gorp (~equal amounts of premium mixed nuts, chopped dates, and M&Ms)
Mountain House meals
MREs
Instant oats packets
Instant grits packets
Instant potatoes packets
18 ounce SS flask Hennessy Paradis Extra Cognac

5th Rubbermaid Action Packer 8-gallon tote w/more food

Lashed on top of totes:

1 FMCO vest set up for Remington 11-87 shotgun – same as other FMCO vest only for 12 gauge
1 NetPack 5354 wheeled 40” duffel bag w/2 pair silk liner gloves, 2 pair wool liner gloves, pair
Cabela’s Pinnicle Gortex cold weather insulated gloves, Cabela’s Pinnicle Gortex cold weather insulated mittens, Carhartt Arctic Bibs, Carhartt Arctic Parka w/hood, NEOS over boots, Mustang Survival auto inflate flotation vest, Millennium respirator, OptimAir 6A PAPR, CBRN suit, gloves, boots, acc – cold weather and CBRNE gear kept together in one place. Easier to stow in a soft bag than totes
1 set MSR Denali EVO Snow shoes & MSR Denali III poles – if in snow country. Leave behind if not
1 12’ sling rope w/2 snap rings – general purpose short rope. Pulling/lifting/rescue/securing/etc
2 Edelwies 200’ static climbing rope w/set of carabiners & pulleys – Only if you know what you are doing and are likely to need to climb or belay
1 Mountain Hardwear Trango 3.1 3 person/4 season tent w/fly – best compromise of price/size/weight/capability
1 Slumberjack sleep system w/Thermarest self inflating mattress – System is good from warm weather down to -30°F. I need lots of comfortable sleep when I can get it.
2 silnylon tarps w/poles, stakes, and para cord – Additional protection when camping on one place for a while
1 Hardigg iM3300 gun case with Remington 11-87 custom shotgun, H&R/NEF .30-’06 single shot scoped rifle w/.32 ACP adapters, (alternate: Remington 700 .30-’06), Glock 30SF spare pistol – Hardigg cases are the best I’ve found for a critical item. The 11-87 is dual purpose. The .30-’06 is sniping/hunting. The G30 is a spare
(optional: 2nd case w/Remington 700 .375 H&H Mag)
1 Alpacka Fjord Explore cargo raft w/oars, oar frame, seat, attachable skeg – for areas where crossing streams too deep to wade. Small/light/capable
1 D-handle small round point shovel – easier to use than the e-tool in many situations
1 Cold Steel 24” Latin machete – for general machete work. I like the 24” for its capabilities and heft
1 Stanley 30” Entry tool – multipurpose tool for getting into and out of several situations
1 Iltis Oxhead double bit axe – for times when camping in wooded area in the cold call from some serious firewood
1 Sven 21” folding saw – for general use around camp for firewood, poles/etc.
1 ATAS-25 multiband portable antenna w/tripod – a longer range antenna for the FT-897D
1 Fire tripod – when anticipating open fires
1 Fire spit & supports – ditto above
1 Kifaru pulk w/steering & brake package – for deep snow areas. One of the best. Expensive

*Survival Kit (in FMCO vest utility pouch) – I think most of these item are pretty self-explanatory

1 SAS Essential Survival Guide (compact version)
1 Buck 110 folding belt knife
1 Fisher black bullet pen
1 Storm-Saf note pad
1 BCB explorer button compass
1 Mag-Light Mini Maglight 2AA w/Terra-lux LED conversion
8 Energizer AA ultra Lithium battery in two carriers
1 Allweatherfirestarters.com magnesium rod/ferro rod fire starter
2 containers Lifeboat matches
1 8-pack Wet fire tinder
1 Bic lighter
1 leather bootlace to make fire bow
4 Daytrex 4.2 oz water packets
1 Sawyer Point Zero Two Absolute water bottle purifier
1 10”x4” Maxpedition water bottle carrier
1 Storm whistle
2 neck lanyard (whistle & knife)
1 mini can Orange spray paint
1 1”x200’ orange survey tape
1 mini-Air horn
1 Starflash 3”x5” signal mirror
1 TrueFlare penflare kit (launcher, 12 flares, case)
1 emergency hooded space blanket
1 lightweight space blanket bag
1 tube tent
1 300’ 550 cord
1 P-51 can opener
1 old style beer can and bottle opener
1 SS table spoon
4 beef bouillon cubes
12 Millennium energy bars
1 fresh water fishing kit
1 gill net
1 1-liter water bag
1 coffee filter support sheath w/20 filters
4 sheets aluminum foil
1 Esbit stove/Tommy cooker
4 12-count Esbit stove fuel tablets
1 small roll Gorilla duct tape flattened
1 pocket chainsaw
4 heavy duty garbage bags
2 Israeli 6” trauma bandages
12 Medique Medi-Lyte heat relief tablets 2-pack
4 alcohol prep pads
4 Pepto Bismo 2-pack
4 Excedrin 2-pak
1 Charmin To Go 55 sheet pack toilet paper
1 pair emergency sunglasses

**Hardware & tools kit list (in FMCO double .223 bandoleer pouch on belt) – extra small tools, plus some items for general use, to make repairs, and to fabricate items in the field. Some are for urban situations.

1 Leatherman Crunch
1 Stanley Multi-tip screwdriver
1 Glass cutter
1 300’ 550 cord
1 Small roll Gorilla duct tape flattened
1 Industrial JB weld
1 Tube of Goop
1 Tube of clear Shoe Goo
1 Small spray can WD-40
1 Small can 3-in-1 oil
12 small screw eyes
12 medium screw eyes
12 small screw in J-hooks
12 medium screw in J-hooks
12 4” 10d nails
4 7” spike nails
4 Mini sharpies
1 box bright pushpins (marking trails, etc)
12 marbles (to tie off tarp)
12 medium firecrackers (signaling, bear scare, diversion)

***First-aid kit (in one of the FMCO vest utility pouches)(additional supplies on cart) – All the items are my personal preferred items

1 CPR safety shield
4 pair exam gloves
2 1-oz bottle Purell hand sanitizer
10 Therma-Dot single use thermometer
1 Fisher space pen
1 Storm-Saf not pad
4 individual wrapped tongue depressors
4 individual wrapped cotton tip applicators
1 small roll Gorilla duct tape flattened
4 bite sticks
4 ammonia ampoules
1 small flask Everclear 190 proof PGA
4 honey packets (for hot toddies)
4 lemon juice packets (for hot toddies)
2 Camelback Elixir 12-pack electrolyte solution
12 Excedrin 2-pack
12 Alka Seltzer 2-pack
1 25ct bottle Dulcolax laxative
12 Pepto Bismol 2-pack diarrhea medication
12 NyQuill daytime cold medicine 2-pack
12 NyQuill nighttime cold medicine 2-pack
12 Benadryl antihistamine/allergy med 2-pack
2 Chloraseptic throat lozenges 6-pack
6 Water-Jel Burn relief 3.5g packets
6 Water-Jel 1/32 oz triple antibiotic ointment packet
6 hydrocortizone 1/32 oz packet
3 15g jell glucose
4 Sting-kill wipes
4 IvyX cleanser wipes
4 alcohol prep pad
4 PAWS antimicrobial wipes
4 Providone/Iodine prep pad
1 Asherman chest seal
1 20cc irrigation syringe
1 250ml bottle sodium chloride irrigation solution
1 4 oz bottle eye wash
1 eye wash cup
1 combat application tourniquet
1 self applied restricting band
1 1”x10yd adhesive tape roll
1 Dr. Scholls moleskin deluxe
4 1”x3” bandaids
4 fingertip bandaids
4 knuckle bandaids
12 ½” x 2 7/8” butterfly wound closures
4 2”x3” medium patch bandage
2 2”x4” elbow/knee bandage
2 Emergency Israeli 6” trauma bandage
2 sterile oval gauze eye pad
4 2”x2” gauze pads 2-pack
8 4”x4” gauze pads
1 2” gauze roll
1 4” ace bandage
4 4”x4” Water-Jel burn dressing
2 31”x31”x51” triangular bandage
1 SAM finger splint
1 7 ¼” utility scissors
1 3 ½” tweezers
4 single use Krazy glue
1 surgical stapler kit w/35 staples
1 Sawyer bite & sting kit
1 brown recluse spider F/A kit
1 deluxe emergency dental kit

Jerry D Young
05-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Also as requested:

As for what I prepare for, I prepare less by type of disaster than I do by basic human needs. The basic needs are pretty much the same, no matter what the disaster. As I meet my goals for the basics I do specific things for specific disasters. There really aren't that many individual elements that aren't appropriate for several sets of circumstances. My ultimate goal is to be as self-sufficient for as long of a period as it is practical to be in modern society.

This is a list of the things I consider when I’m making preps, in no specific order after the first four (No. I’m not ready for all of them yet. And yes, some of them simply call for having your affairs in order.)

Armageddon
Global nuclear war
Limited nuclear war/attack
Chemical/Biological war/attack
Infrastructure collapse/failures
Weather Modification attack
Major conventional war
New colonial activity (Fr., Sp., Port., It., Germ., Japan, China, Russia, UK, Brazil, Ven.)
A new Persian Empire
Invasion of the US
Regional climate change
Global warming
Global cooling/Ice Age
Celestial object impact/near miss
Nemesis induced Oort Cloud meteorite rain
Black hole appearance
Dark matter/anti-matter incident
UN/One World Gov
NWO (New World Order)
US Coup
US revolution
Government Tyranny
Anarchy
Rogue Military Activity
CME (Coronal Mass Ejection)
Ozone layer depletion
Solar radiation increase/decrease
Gamma ray burst from neutron star collision
Earth orbit shift
Magnetic pole shift
Rotational pole shift
Earth Core Cooling
Massive tectonic activity
Grand Alignment induced tectonic activity
EMP attack (Electro Magnetic Pulse)
EMP from solar activity
Major nuclear power re incident
Utilities failures
Terrorism in about a thousand different forms
Martial Law
Travel restrictions
Communication restrictions
Weapons restrictions
New, more restrictive assault weapons ban
Total gun ban
Local/regional gun grab
Gold/PM restrictions
Gold/PM recall
Rampant inflation
Major economic depression
Nationwide/global economic breakdown
Personal financial breakdown
Loss of job
Personal/family catastrophic illness
Bank closure/failure/mandated bank holiday
State bankruptcy/default
National bankruptcy/default
Strikes/boycotts/embargoes/price controls
Food shortages/price increases
Large scale JIT delivery failures
Crop failures
Drought
Water shortages
Shortages of goods and services for a variety of reasons
Peak oil
Fuel shortages/price increases
Limnic eruption
Methane Hydrate release
Dam failure/collapse
Tailings pond failure/collapse
Environmental disaster
Gulf Stream shutdown
Overpopulation
Rapid Population Decline
Social break down
Widespread civil unrest/riots
Aztlan/Reconquista Uprising
Civil war
Ethnic war
Racial war
Religious war
Resource war
Refugees
Becoming a refugee
Landslide/mudslide
Brownout
Blackout
Avalanche
Superstorm
Hurricane
Hypercane
Tornado
Earthquake
Flood
Sea level rise
Sea level drop
Tsunami
Mega Tsunami (La Palma, West Antarctic Ice Sheet)
Volcano
Mega Volcano (Yellowstone Caldera)
Lahar
Pyroclastic flow
Ice Storm
Blizzard
Hail
Severe Lightning
Heat wave
Sinkholes
Antibiotic resistant bacteria
Epidemic
Pandemic
Pestilence
Rainforest deforestation
Forest fire/wild fire
Fire storm
Sand/dust storms/Haboob
House/apartment/building fire
Hazmat incident
Medical emergency
Local major accident (aircraft/auto/rail/building)
Airplane crash
Automotive accident
Train wreck
Vehicle breakdown/stranded
Shipwrecked/marooned
Becoming lost in the wilderness
Becoming lost in the megalopolis
Crime wave
Local major crime
Dangerous wildlife confrontation
Wild animal rampage
Released/escaped dangerous zoo animals
Addictive Entertainment
Eco-system collapse
Out of control bio-genetics/bio-technology/Nano-technology/robotics
Runaway GM food plant failure/cross contamination
Sub-atomic particle research accident
Advanced Technology disaster
Extraterrestrial biological contamination
Evidence of extraterrestrials
Hostile extraterrestrials
Peaceful extraterrestrials
Biblical flood
Biblical plagues
Second coming
A New Messiah
The Anti-Christ
Zombies/vampires/werewolves/other supernatural dangers (just kidding!)

izzyscout21
05-30-2012, 07:40 PM
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6125/5955584224_13b6b43994_b.jpg

That's slick. DO that yourself?