PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment Post SHTF

Twitchy
05-19-2012, 08:41 PM
We all know that when the SHTF, initially it will be all business, setting up whatever needs to be setup, and just overall keeping an eye out for trouble. But in a longer term situation, what would we do for entertainment? I think this is an important issue, if we live the rest of our lives watching behind our backs, for every sound thinking it could become a problem, we are all going to go nuts! Now I know about all the general ideas, board games, DVD's, Music, etc. but eventually, after watching a movie 100 times (going to eat power too, gotta keep that in mind), or playing a board game, it would get too the point where its no longer enjoyable. What I am getting at, is what alternative forms of entertainment would there be? I think hobbies would be considered one...

For one, I think i could really get into carpentry as a hobby. Its an amazing skill to have, and you can create endless numbers of toys for kids, and practical items needed for everyday survival...

What are your ideas?

bacpacker
05-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Woodworking is a lot of fun and you can build all kinds of things from toys to furniture to buildings. But assuming the grid is down, you gotta have hand tools. That is one thing I have been working on, both woodworking and mechanical hand tools.

A couple of my current favorite pasttimes are fishing and gardening. Those will probably be critical skills in a SHTF situation. But fishing is still relaxing.

Other favorites we plan on having available is several bookcases and boxes of books, and magazines for things from alernate power to farming to survival to health and cooking. We have a pretty extensive music collection and I'm pretty sure I will be able to rig up a solar panel to recharge our kindles and MP 3 players.

Echo2
05-20-2012, 04:10 AM
Entertainment is directly related to morale....We have planned for games....movie nights....puzzles....etc.

You will have to have a way to forget the stress of day to day life after the SHTF....or you will drive yourself nuts.

We (my group) has a very extensive library...reading for entertainment and education....not to mention the reference manuals.

And....tons and tons of music....and many methods of playing it.

Taz Baby
05-20-2012, 11:40 AM
We have people who play the drums, guitar, banjo, spoons ect, and sing. So we have a band. No gas, eletric required. Also story telling is great. Talking about the day and any problems helps with the stress of it. Getting it off your mind and peoples input will solve any problem that comes up.

Twitchy
05-21-2012, 03:29 AM
I was thinking music... definitely an important thing in my opinion so we don't go crazy!

Katrina
05-26-2012, 06:00 AM
How about hooking a record player, if you can find one still workable, to a solar power source. That is if anyone still has LP's hanging around. The boys got their dad a record player/dvd player combo for Christmas. So now he can play his records and I can play my old Cinderella record for the grand kids.

Stormfeather
05-26-2012, 08:27 AM
im drubnk..... does that count?

eagle326
05-26-2012, 11:47 AM
im drubnk..... does that count?

Moist ass-surely mi frend!! ;)

Stormfeather
05-26-2012, 09:58 PM
game night, music, board games, cards, all sorts of entertainment can be found. We have solar chargers for all of our ipods/ipads, plus we have rechargeable batteries for all of the battery operated devices.

izzyscout21
05-30-2012, 07:39 PM
My post SHTF consists of Stormy swinging around a pole sporting his elephant head banana hammock........

On a serious note......

I have lots of travel sized board games. I try to put a deck of playing cards in all my bags. I'm also still working on having some of the tactical chess sets made.

The Stig
06-01-2012, 12:21 AM
This is all I need...

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/89303_o.gif

Echo2
06-01-2012, 01:26 AM
This is all I need...

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/89303_o.gif

That is just wrong.....

ladyhk13
06-01-2012, 04:32 AM
^It made me laugh so it's entertainment!

ladyhk13
06-01-2012, 04:36 AM
Crafts. Drawing, painting, anything creative. Reading - we are putting together a pretty good library of novels (not prepping) and prepping related stuff, games - all those old board games that most of you kids don't remember! Oh yeah, and making bullets.

Gunfixr
06-06-2012, 03:27 AM
It's too late.............................

I've already gone nuts.

Sniper-T
06-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Jiffy pop. fun to make, fun to watch, good to eat, and if you hang it on your wall it'll act as a fire/heat detector

Baker
06-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Got several decks of cards put back. Guess I'll learn how to make spoons/bowls and stuff along those lines, and do that.

I've been thinking about getting more books, not just general knowledge, but also novels that cover a wide array of things. Thrillers, crimes, adventure, etc..

Doc Torr
06-22-2012, 07:28 AM
I'm a bit late to the game, but I noticed nobody said pen and paper RPG. D&D isn't the only game in town, there's several zombie and PAW-themed games, as well as Firefly, Star Wars, Star Trek, and other franchises as well. Great way to kill plenty of time, and some of the basic material for older games has been released free (the D&D SRD for version 3.5) and can, with some imagination, be re-tailored to any scenario you want, if you don't want the kids slaying demons and whatnot. I had a teacher that ran an all-robot game at my highschool, and a friend turned it into a Rennaisance-era RPG with some creative writing.

Writing, carving, woodworking, and my favorite: story-telling.

IDTANDY
06-22-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm a bit late to the game, but I noticed nobody said pen and paper RPG. D&D isn't the only game in town, there's several zombie and PAW-themed games, as well as Firefly, Star Wars, Star Trek, and other franchises as well. Great way to kill plenty of time, and some of the basic material for older games has been released free (the D&D SRD for version 3.5) and can, with some imagination, be re-tailored to any scenario you want, if you don't want the kids slaying demons and whatnot. I had a teacher that ran an all-robot game at my highschool, and a friend turned it into a Rennaisance-era RPG with some creative writing.

Writing, carving, woodworking, and my favorite: story-telling.

Must have a Bard.

bacpacker
06-23-2012, 03:01 AM
Doc I agree on the pen (pencil) and paper. Although I would end up using them making some kind of drawing/diagram or notebook/journal. I have crap like that all over the place now.

Woodworker is a enjoyable hobby. I was doing a fair amount back a few years and had a good time.

eagle326
06-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Doc I agree on the pen (pencil) and paper. Although I would end up using them making some kind of drawing/diagram or notebook/journal. I have crap like that all over the place now.

Woodworker is a enjoyable hobby. I was doing a fair amount back a few years and had a good time.

Woodworking is fun and has a very good function towards survival. I was into carving a few years back and it was enjoying and relaxing. I carved some spoons and forks for the wife and they would work quite well in a S.H.T.F. situation. Now I'm going to have to get back to it and see what else I can come up with.

Echo2
06-24-2012, 02:20 AM
Just remember....if you plan on "learning" wood working or something of the like....there is a learning curve....that occasionally involves stitches...ask me how I know.

This could prove problematic in the event.....

bacpacker
06-24-2012, 02:37 AM
So true. Like most all tasks, chores, shooting, or whatever, woodworking requires paying very close to safety. Things can go downhill really quick if you don't.

eagle326
06-24-2012, 03:13 AM
Echo2 and B.P. you are both right. My wood shop teacher lost the tip of his right thumb when he was a young man. As a student of his as in Jr. in high school he made the point of thumping you on the top of your head when you were doing your wood working to get your attention as to proper safety precautions.

Every time I do any wood working I still see Mr. Guerra ; feel the thumb and remember everything he ever said or demonstrated. His best rule was ; Take your time ; see your next move and make sure you have obeyed all safety precautions. So far these rules have served me well and i still have all my digits.

As you both alluded to safety is the key. Know your tool whatever it may be. Wood ;weapon ; farm or whatever be as safe as you possibly can.