PDA

View Full Version : Amish Have Fewer Allergies Due to ‘Farm Effect’

Taz Baby
05-20-2012, 07:34 PM
I thought this was interesting. Think about people you know who were raised on a farm and are still living like that. Do they have allergies? I know I was raised eating from the land and I never get sick.
http://abcnews.go.com/images/Health/gty_amish_children_dm_120507_wblog.jpg
The Amish who live and work with animals on farms in northern Indiana, have some of the lowest rates of allergies and asthma in the westernized world, perhaps because of the so-called “farm effect,” according to an international study.
Amish Have Fewer Allergies Due to ‘Farm Effect’ - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/05/07/amish-have-fewer-allergies-due-to-farm-effect/)

Echo2
05-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Stands to reason....I used to think that it was a "ol wives tale" about eating local honey to stave off some allergies....tried it...it works.

bacpacker
05-21-2012, 12:23 AM
I absolutely believe it. Growing up I was always out working and playing on the farm, garden, whatever. Most of the time I was pretty nasty fro dirt, hay, cow crap, grease, whatever I was working in. I never had a problem with allergies till just the last few years when i started spending a lot more time working indoors.

My sister on the other hand didn't get out in the garden or worked in the yard very much. She was constanly sick, sneezing, etc. I never thought about it then, but lookin back she was never esposed to all the stuff where she could develope an immunity to it.

Honey is a excellent way to do that, but it needs to be a local honey. The closer to home the better.

Katrina
05-22-2012, 04:57 AM
That's why I keep telling my boys, let the kids get good and dirty once in awhile. I swear now a days there's a phobia about kids and getting dirty and germ free. I think that's why my boys didn't get as sick as their friends growing up. Made them go outside to play when the weather was conducive to it..

Grumpy Old Man
05-22-2012, 10:35 PM
My maternal grandmother used to tell me that I would have to eat a pound of dirt for it to kill me.LOL On a more serious note, the artificial ingredients, GMO vegetables, preservatives and hormones that are present in store bought food is, IMHO, responsible for the rise in allergies and cancers occurring today. ADM, Cargill, Monsanto and Big Pharma are minions of Satan!

izzyscout21
05-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Go figure. This just confirms my opinion that our kids need to toughen up. Toss those buggers outside all day and lock the door. Let them in come supper time.....:cool: It's not a sunburn....it's a tan in progress. It's not allergies....it's an immune system under construction.

Sniper-T
06-04-2012, 03:45 PM
I concur. Additionally, I think it is also what they don't do that benefits them. They Don't eat all the processed crap, they Don't live in a state of deprivation, They Don't sit in the house breathing canned air all day while playing video games, They Don't live a sterile life texting with their sterile friends.

They Do, go out and get dirty, breathe real air, touch 'icky' things, are exposed to possible contaminants.

Back in Grade school, we had one kid who had a peanut allergy, and the rest of us had pb&J on a daily basis. That kid? He just missed out on trading lunches most days. Now, Peanuts and all derivitives are banned from schools, and dozens of kids are allergic. It's crazy!

GunnerMax
06-04-2012, 05:58 PM
hell I played outside 7 days out of the fucking week when I was young. Then after I joined the service I have been to over 35 countries and not one sickness. I have no allergies and only get sick about once a year, and that is from catching something from the hundreds of people I work and live around.

Echo2
06-04-2012, 06:26 PM
I never got sick until I started sending my little petri dishes (kids) to school....