PDA

View Full Version : Emergency water filters.

Evolver
05-22-2012, 01:22 AM
I picked up a few of these for just in case. For the GHB, BOB or TB (Travel Bag).

http://aquamira.com/preparedness/aquamira-frontier-filter/frontier-filter-pkg.jpg

The Frontier Emergency Water Filter System is ideal for hiking, travel, and emergency preparedness. It is the perfect addition to your 72 hour emergency kit. One unit will filter up to 20 gallons (75L) of water. The Frontier Filter is tested and certified to remove >99.9% of Cryptosporidium and Giardia. The Frontier Emergency Water Filter System is also easy to operate, just attach and expand the straw, submerge the filter end into the water source, and drink through the straw.

Ultra light and compact, the Aquamira Frontier Emergency Filter System weighs less than one ounce and easily slips into a day pack, shirt pocket or travel luggage and is always ready when you need it. The Frontier Filter is the ideal alternative to heavy, bulky and expensive pump filtration units when space and weight are primary factors. Activated coconut shell carbon helps reduce waterborne chemicals, improves water taste and eliminates odors. Use the Frontier Emergency Water Filter System to drink from any bottle, cup or directly from water sources.

Evolver
05-22-2012, 01:36 AM
Amazon.com: Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter System: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OR115W/ref=asc_df_B000OR115W2025218?smid=AOK3KU61KBTCI&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B000OR115W&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12719235111631739043&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=)

slowz1k
05-22-2012, 01:39 PM
I need a few of those to go in various bags. One of those would be a lot more compact and lighter than my Katadyne.
Have you tried it yet?

Evolver
05-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Not yet, maybe I'll brake one open, test it out and give a review. I'll mix up some muddy water and put a bandanna around the base of it for a pre-filter.

bacpacker
05-23-2012, 01:13 AM
This filter interest me greatly. My filters for the GHB's are much larger and heavier than that one. If they work well, I will be getting several of these to pass around.

rentprop1
05-23-2012, 01:56 AM
I saw those at Cabelas but have been looking for an honest review, is it good for more than one use ??

bacpacker
05-23-2012, 02:23 AM
Gander mountian and dicks sporting goods as well as multiple bacpacking stores around here carry them. I dont know anyone that has tried them.

Evolver
05-23-2012, 11:32 AM
I saw those at Cabelas but have been looking for an honest review, is it good for more than one use ??

On the package it says it will filter up to 20gal. The water quality will determine the the longevity.

Evolver
05-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Ok... For the next week I'll be trying this trying out.

First I'll do water out of the tap from a glass to see what it takes to draw the water,
Then the muddy water as mentioned above,
Let it dry for 24hr then do the same muddy water,
Let dry, do a tap water test as a comparison,
Then remove the pre-filter, do the muddy water and see how long it takes to plug it up.

If any of you want me to add a step I'll be more than happy to do it. (no toxins though:p)

mitunnelrat
05-24-2012, 02:01 AM
Do you have any clear flowing water near your house?

If you try that, watch for flu like symptoms to come up after a few days. If they do, see a Dr. Trust me on this! Lol

Seriously though, I think I damn near died from e. Coli and dehydration after drinking some bad water.

Vodin
05-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Since I will be most likely bugging in rather than out. I am looking for your thoughts on what type/brand of water candle I should invest in.

Here are my thoughts. I will use 2 5 gal buckets. The top will have stream/rain water in it. It will be pulled through a candle filter into the lower bucket. It will gravity feed.

I wish to have a reasonable taste to the water and a near perfect cleaning of the water.

What type of filter would you recommend?

Vodin

Evolver
05-26-2012, 10:51 PM
For our "base filter" this is the one that I have.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Va%2BZ3IWrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's a Katadyn TRK Drip Ceradyn Water Filter (ceramic). I opted not to get the Katadyn Gravidyn (ceramic/carbon) because the carbon filter doesn't last as long. The carbon is there for taste and will get used up and also the ceramic wall is thiner on this one so it will need to be replaced sooner. You can clean any ceramic filter and the cleaning method is to scrub the outer wall and when your scrubbing some of the ceramic gets washed away so... the thicker the better. It runs around $200.00.
There are cheaper dome and candle filters out there that you can mod into two 5gal buckets but the wall thickness is very thin.

Vodin
05-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Thank you for your thoughts. The TRK Drip Ceradyn Water Filter (ceramic) is a tad to expensive. I will check online for Katadyn candle filters and if they are sold separately. I will report back with my research.

Evolver
05-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Yeah good ceramic filters are pricey but in the long run there worth it. Replacement Ceradyn filters are around $55.00.
If you made a two candle filter out of 5 gal buckets you could cut the costs almost in half.

Grumpy Old Man
05-31-2012, 10:28 PM
See the next to last post in this thread. If you want more links I have them.

http://www.shtfready.com/f13/gravity-water-filters-care-feeding-1533/