PDA

View Full Version : New Prepper's biggest prep yet

Highstrung
05-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Hi all. After moving to Memphis, TN when I got out of the Navy, I've really been worried about what would happen should SHTF. I've been doing what I can. I love in an apartment so it's been a challenge. We've started a garden on our balcony and began storing food and tools/ supplies.

But we just made our biggest prep purchase yet! We bought a house! It's not the backwoods retreat I'd like but it's day and night from the apartment and all for $500 less a month than the apartment. We'll have a yard to garden and tons of storage space. It's also got a wood burning fireplace. Having that and a big backyard will open up lots of options for post SHTF survival.

Any ideas for a newbie's first house if the SHTF?

helomech
05-24-2012, 01:09 AM
Congrats

GunnerMax
05-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Congrats on the house. Well I believe that setting up your rooms comes first. If you have a gun safe, place that first in the place you want. Then shelves if you want. Then you have space (and the wife doesnt get mad) when you fill a place that does not clutter the house. Also your basic tools, hand tools, and supplies to maintain, build, cut wood, grow food, and collect water for me would be first.

As I think about it, a List of lists, there is a post around here somewhere that talks about what you need. Its large, but organized.

What kind of SHTF are you planning for? Is it a tornado, fire, social unrest, CME, zombies? But can you not fix a leaky hot water that is flooding your house and will cause mold post-SHTF but sure as heck be able to grow 1500 types of tomatoes with non-hybrid seeds? Priorities :)

My response is probably better ignored

Highstrung
05-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Well, first I'm getting ready for the most likely of scenarios, tornados and heavy storms. They hit a few times a year. However, once I feel like I've got three months of preps for that, I will focus my attention on the big scenarios. Economic breakdown, solar flares, war and of course, zombies are all in there. There's a lot of racial tension here. Anyone who denies hat is just ignoring it. I'd hate to see what would happen should consequences of the law cease to follow crime. So yes guns, a better fence and some extra lumber stored are all important elements to my feeling safe.

I do plan on bugging in. I'm 11 hours from the nearest family member and I have no friends here to speak of. Definitely no one I'd trust.

I'll check out the lists. There's so much to consider. That's why I'm going to 'easy' prep for three months. By that I mean, canned food, propane stoves, flashlights, chemical toilets, etc. That way I don't draw attention to myself. Then I'll transition to bags of grain/corn, wood fire cooking, gardening, oil lamps, etc.

Sound logical?

Stormfeather
05-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Congrats on the house and welcome to the forum! If I may be so bold and ask, what region are you in? You may have preppers near you and not even know it!
Research here for those lists, and you will find them long and involved. Dont get intimidated by that, just take baby steps and prep for what you think will happen soonest in your area. A good base is long term food, water, and security. From there, go with supplies to augment your longevity. Feel free to ask any questions, as the only dumb question is the one you dont ask! Good luck and once again, welcome to the forum!

Echo2
05-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Have enough supplies in hand to secure the windows from both inside and out.

Have cloth on hand to use for "black out" curtains.

be able to secure doors with cross bars from inside.

Have many fire extinguishers on hand.

If possible...have water storage on second floor.

Have enough gutter material to bring water into window for storage.

Start scavenging wood now to build storage shelves in pantry...3 months....2 people....close to 300lbs of food goods.

Store enough propane (or fuel of some sort) to cook food and purify water for 3 months +.

Have cooking vessels capable of cooking repetitively over open fire or coals.

Even if you don't heat with with wood....keep a chord stored....off the ground if possible.

Find a grate to use for cooking on hearth with coals.

And much....much more...:)

bacpacker
05-25-2012, 02:38 AM
Welcome to the forum HS. Glad your here, look forward to learning with you.

One thing I didn't see on your list, that IMO should be at the top of any list. Water. If you have sources near by such as a creek, lake, river, etc. You don't have to store as much, maybe 3-7 days worth along with purifiers, filters, and tablets to treat for the long term. I like having a good filter that will produce a gallon or two or more per day. A gravity type filter works well for this. If no source is nearby, much more water will need to be stored. For a BO situation (flood, chemical spill, nuclear accident, plane crash) a backpacking filter of some type is what I prefer. Some folks like purification tablets. Lots of different ways to get to where you want to go. Just have plans to fill the specific needs for whatever secnario's you face.

Food, make a plan for 3 days, fill that, 3 weeks, 3 months and on from there. Again have a good plan for buggin out and that might be radically different for a long term bug in senario.

Katrina
05-25-2012, 03:25 AM
Welcome HS and congrats on the house.
You'll find this is a great group of people. I have learned a lot from them!!

ladyhk13
05-26-2012, 03:26 AM
Welcome HS! Do you have children that you will be prepping for as well?

Highstrung
06-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Yes I do! My boy Eli is 2 and we have another due in January. We're very excited.

I'm really hoping to make some connections here in Memphis. I'm definately a beginner, but I have skills. I'm 25, prior navy. I'm an Maintenance electrician at a steel mill. I'm an avid backpacker who prefers the more primitive method than the jetboils and spot locators. Speaking of primitive, I'm good with a rifle but much prefer to a bow.

I know this looks like a resume, but I understand if people are cautious and need something to go on. Also, I'm new to the forum. If there's a place to post this type of thing, please let me know.

Sniper-T
06-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Hi HS, welcome aboard! You can introduce yourself here:
http://www.shtfready.com/f22/welcome-new-members-introduce-yourselves-here-10/index41.html

ladyhk13
06-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Well with children as young as yours you must not forget to prep for them. I know you will focus on all the "adult" stuff but the kid stuff will be just as important and as it drags on, it could prove to be more important when they are screaming because they are bored and underfoot with nothing to do. I would start collecting games and crafts, books or any other things that you guys want your kids to be doing. It will save frazzled nerves and flying tempers when you can keep the children happy. It may sound like a small issue but it could make the difference between a happy home or a miserable one.

Katrina
06-24-2012, 04:37 AM
I agree, don't forget to put some things away for the kids. Maybe some little cars and trucks that you could stash along with coloring books, crayons or color pencils and the sharpeners. Just don't let the kids get into the stash until you need them. LOL

robin48
06-24-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm not far from you. Sent you a pm.

Domeguy
01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Welcome to TENNESSEE, HS, and thank you for your service to our Country. My wife and are fairly new to prepping. But we were surprised how much you can accomplish in a short period of time. We are in Lynchburg, TN. Not to close, but not to far.
Let me know if you need anything.