PDA

View Full Version : Last minute or expedient shelters

gunbuilder69
02-22-2011, 03:19 PM
I would love to kick around everybodys idea's for last minute or expedient shelters.
Say something you'd need to provide/create if you had to bug home with the certainty of fallout coming in say, 2 hours. Let hear some good ones Gang,I'm down like 4 flats to upgrade my brain!

mitunnelrat
02-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Too funny... We were thinking along similar lines. Luckily I had to log in again to get mine posted, so I was able to clarify the type differences in my title.

The Stig
02-23-2011, 01:23 AM
When you say "certainty of fallout" are you talking Nuke?

gunbuilder69
02-23-2011, 02:26 AM
Could be anything that generates fallout,TN missile,reactor meltdown with fire damage,Crash of nuke payload aircraft.
All of these sit's are within 20 miles of my home.I thought the various thinktanks available could definately serve me rather than hurt me,right? right?...

LUNCHBOX
02-23-2011, 03:55 AM
I don't know if this helps but there is are some massive cave systems around. I have one not to far from me, its not man made, underground naturally, it may be of some use in that kind of situation although there is still the airflow, food, water and heat problems, you know, the small stuff.

mitunnelrat
02-23-2011, 03:55 AM
I found a good resource on this. http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/docs/expfoutshelters.pdf I don't know how many of them can be done in just a couple hours, but it looks like at least one can, since its mostly just digging a trench under a car... I got a kink in my neck trying to read the script though, I wasn't smart enough to think of tipping my laptop sideways until just now.

bobthe
09-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Could be anything that generates fallout,TN missile,reactor meltdown with fire damage,Crash of nuke payload aircraft.
All of these sit's are within 20 miles of my home.I thought the various thinktanks available could definately serve me rather than hurt me,right? right?...

in any of these situations EXCEPT nuclear war - you are going to want to bug out, not shelter in place in an expedient shelter.

mitunnelrat
09-23-2011, 10:32 PM
and if circumstances prevent you from moving on that BO, like congestion from thousands of others with the same idea?

bobthe
09-23-2011, 11:12 PM
and if circumstances prevent you from moving on that BO, like congestion from thousands of others with the same idea?

the people of fukushuima got rapidly evacuated even after a massive tsunami hit the area and devastated utilities and infrastructure.

with the sort of radioactivity that would be released from anything but a nuke going off you would be much better off to spend half the day stuck in traffic trying to get out than sitting at home in any sort of expedient shelter. expedient being the key. if you have a fallout shelter and filtered air, then yeah. stay put. if you look at the fallout maps from chernobyl, arguably a worst case scenario, even if you humped it out on foot over rough terrain you would be ok.

mind you all of this applies to the idea of absorbed dose, ie the idea of distance and time being more important than shielding in this case. you you are near a localized incident such as the explosion of a dirt bomb, you would be far better off protecting yourself with plastic tarp and duct tape to prevent ingestion of radioisotopes as opposed to trying to put PF between you and any fallout.

Jerry D Young
09-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Quickest and easiest I think would be to have already surveyed the area for any buildings or structures that would be suitable as a fallout shelter. If there aren't any and you don't have shelter at home, then the next best thing think is a construction site with some heavy equipment.

Dig a trench with a backhoe or excavator, flip a dump truck or dump trailer upside down over the trench and use the earth from the trench to cover over the upside down truck or trailer. Use a right angle turn at each end and park whatever you can find over them and cover with more dirt. Just a thought or two.

mitunnelrat
09-25-2011, 05:35 PM
the people of fukushuima got rapidly evacuated even after a massive tsunami hit the area and devastated utilities and infrastructure.

with the sort of radioactivity that would be released from anything but a nuke going off you would be much better off to spend half the day stuck in traffic trying to get out than sitting at home in any sort of expedient shelter. expedient being the key. if you have a fallout shelter and filtered air, then yeah. stay put. if you look at the fallout maps from chernobyl, arguably a worst case scenario, even if you humped it out on foot over rough terrain you would be ok.

mind you all of this applies to the idea of absorbed dose, ie the idea of distance and time being more important than shielding in this case. you you are near a localized incident such as the explosion of a dirt bomb, you would be far better off protecting yourself with plastic tarp and duct tape to prevent ingestion of radioisotopes as opposed to trying to put PF between you and any fallout.

I'll let others who are better versed in this subject debate the merits of one type of shelter over another. My point was more that we may not always have control of our circumstances, and should be prepared for different eventualities. I'll go out on a limb and state that I believe the OP is aware of this as well, and is looking to expand his knowledge base to cover more than one approach, hence his asking for info on expedient shelters, rather than whether or not he should BO or SIP in different events.

Stormfeather
09-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Quickest and easiest I think would be to have already surveyed the area for any buildings or structures that would be suitable as a fallout shelter. If there aren't any and you don't have shelter at home, then the next best thing think is a construction site with some heavy equipment.

Dig a trench with a backhoe or excavator, flip a dump truck or dump trailer upside down over the trench and use the earth from the trench to cover over the upside down truck or trailer. Use a right angle turn at each end and park whatever you can find over them and cover with more dirt. Just a thought or two.

I read that one in your storys! great idea!

Optimist
01-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Kearny Davis and the folks at Oak Ridge did a book on this back in the early 1960s. ScribD has it for download, and I have it on the CDs I sell on the gun show circuit. It's worth looking up.