PDA

View Full Version : Low to no cost preps one should start?

DFWprepper
05-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi,

Any ideas for preps everyone should have thats low to no cost?

Sniper-T
05-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Mental preparedness: If you cannot afford the physical things you need, then learn everything you can. There is a wealth of information available through this site. learn it all, practice it until it is second nature.

Physical Fitness: You don't have to be a hulk, or Mr Olympia, but be able to carry yourself, and your gear. be able to help those that cannot.

Freebies: wherever yyou are, find out the days that the garbage is picked up. go cruise around the night before, or the morning before pickup. You'd be surprised at how much stuff you can get, and how much money you can earn by doing this.

Get a decent Job: It's no fun living hand to mouth, day after day, week after week. If at all possible, either get something better, or get something more (a part time). It's sad to say, but money makes the world go round, and the more you have, the easier it goes.

IMO

and welcome aboard!

:)

Evolver
05-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Knowledge is the cheapest thing to obtain and THE most valuable to have. You can make the amount for money that you have on hand go allot farther if you have the knowledge to provide the three basics.

Food: Can be harvested from a garden, gathered from wild eatables, trapped/snared/hooked/hunted, raised, bought on sale with coupons, and all can be canned/put-up/jared.

Water: Can be harvested from rain, collected from lakes/streams/condensates then filtered/pasteurized/treated.

Shelter: Can be bush-crafted/built/bought/leased.

Like I said knowledge is the cheapest thing to obtain and the more you have the less you need. Is it easy? HELL NO!!! Is it worth it? HELL YEAH!!! :)

ladyhk13
05-30-2012, 04:11 AM
Look for sales especially at the dollar stores. Make a list of things you would like to get for your preps and each month dedicate whatever budget you have to an item. Like a 25# of rice one month, the next month do something for medical so you could pick up a couple bottles of rubbing alcohol and peroxide...very inexpensive. Depends on your budget as to how much you buy each week or month. Start out with what you need/want on paper and how much you have to spend. Make priorities and stick to the list.As Evolver said learn how to can foods to put up, you have no idea how much money you will save and how addictive it will become. Buy meats in bulk and pressure cook them in jars, put up veggies, soups, sauces, broths, jams and don't forget the dehydrator!

slowz1k
05-30-2012, 01:51 PM
If you drink soda from 2 liter bottles or know someone that does... wash the empty's, and load them up with tap water. Store them in a cool place away from sunlight. If you don't have access to a municpal (treated) water supply, you can add a few drops of straight bleach to keep any bacteria from growing.

msomnipotent
05-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Canned goods! I couldn't afford freeze dried foods so I stocked up on canned food when on sale. From what I hear, they can last just as long.

DFWprepper
05-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Thansk for the input guys, keep it coming. Not just for me but others. I know we all have the tendancy to think of the big ticket items and maybe leave the low hanging fruit we don't see that could really help us down the line.

bacpacker
05-31-2012, 01:13 AM
This is not a low cost item as in dirt cheap. But look for someway to to treat or purify water. You can store a lot if you have room, but at some point you will need to replenish the supply. I went with multiple ways as time has passed.
1st I used to backpack a lot and got a good purifier (PUR) that I could carry, that will be great in a BO situation.
2nd we ended up getting a Berky purifier for the house for everyday and BI use. It'll do 3-4 gallon a day as a gravity feed.
3rd, I keep purification tablets in our GHB's for light weight and short term mobile use.

As time has went on I have picked up a second backpacking type (SteriPen) as a spare or for the wife should we have to split up for some reason. I will probably pick up a couple more of some type as time goes on. I also plan on setting up a pair of 5 gallon buckets with Berky type filters to use if we have more folks here. Plus multiple filters for spares.

On top of that keep a good supply of coffee filters, bandana's, or t-shirt material to use as a pre filter to keep your main filter as clean as possible.

cwconnertx
05-31-2012, 02:27 AM
work on your body or mind

You can read books from the library, and make sure you are physically ready for low to no cost.

Beyond that, some simple things are not too expensive: water filter, lighter, knife. You'll know what to focus on after readying up some more... see above line about library.

Echo2
05-31-2012, 10:37 AM
"Live like you will die tomorrow......learn like you will live forever"

TP....Buy TP

Vodin
05-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Buy an extra food item at the grocery store. Place it in a cool dark area (Basement/Closet//Under Bed) start up a storage supply. If your short on money even the little things build up example can of beans the price on it is higher than it has been in the past but it will only go higher in the future.

For more ideas let us know what type of environment do you currently live in. House, Apartment, Suburb, City, Stix etc. Not asking you for a detailed location just the general outline so more info can be offered to you and others that are in a similar situation.

Katrina
06-04-2012, 05:22 AM
If you have friends or family that have stayed at hotels and took those little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and soap home with them and are just stuck in a drawer somewhere in their house. Ask them for it and store it. Duh Hubs and I have family and a couple of friends that travel for their jobs and had a ton of that stuff hanging around. I asked them for it and have it in my storage in a couple of small totes. I think we have enough to keep clean for at least a year. LOL It's free and you'd be doing them a favor getting rid of it for them.
Oh forgot, check out the Goodwill and thrift stores. Someone donated a bunch of that stuff to mine and for a couple of dollars I got it all and added to the preps.

Vodin
06-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks for that mental note Katrina. When / If you goto fast food shops pick up a few extra packets of condiments.

LoganSmith
11-13-2012, 05:36 PM
One thing I do is pick up 4-5 canned goods every time I'm at the grocery store. I prefer to shop at Publix, so whenever I see canned goods on sale (2 for $1, buy one get one, etc.) I ensure I toss a couple in my cart. It's an easy way to keep building up supplies in no time.

I also always make sure I have a decent amount of rice and beans on hand. It may not be tasty, but it sure can pull me through. Also, I've relied on these when times were rough, as there was a 5 week period where all I ate was rice, beans and ramen noodles. I was living on about $3 a week for food, and I made it out the other side just fine and much better financially.

I guess what I'm getting at is: stock up on things as if you may need it if the SHTF, but don't hesitate to crack them open when life gets bumpy. And as I see it, life's fittin' to get a lot bumpier...

bacpacker
11-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Picck up some spices you like. Makes beans and rice taste much better. Any kind of food really.

TEOTWAWKI13
11-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Places like Publix that do BOGO sales or Kroger that does the 10/$10 sales are a great place to stock up on the cheap. Buy the one, put the free away. Buy 10 put 5 away, etc. This doesn't take long and it really doesn't cost all that much to prepare. Grow your own good. Instead of planting flowers, plant beans or potatoes, etc. A flower bed can become a potato bet.

4suchatimeasthis
11-14-2012, 03:19 PM
I store a lot of flavorless things like white rice, beans, and pasta. But, I have found that if I toss a few bouillon cubes into the water (especially with the rice, since it absorbs all of the flavored water), and give a few shakes of garlic powder, and maybe some Italian seasonings, it drastically improves the taste. Sams Club has those huge spice containers, I like the cinnamon, garlic powder, taco seasoning, lemon pepper, etc and they sell the bouillon cubes in those large containers as well.

momabear
09-13-2014, 05:11 PM
canning , freezing , and drying wild food . Thats almost free , to use for food or meds and teas .. just can wild greens with fat or meat , i cook them down to get more in . You can add the dried greens to soup or stew for x-tra vitamins...

momabear
09-13-2014, 05:42 PM
save money no for more preps and store the ingredients for prep , mine is easy as pie . ok get 3 gal of h2o one hot put one in a pot and one cold , in the pot bring h2o to a boil add 1 cup sugar baking soda wash powers 1 cup borax 1/3 bar of fels-naptha and 1 10th zote soap cook until dissolved put 1 gal hot h2o in a 5 gal bucket add soap h2o with wood spoon mix good then add gal cold h2o and poor in 3 old wash soap jugs with tops let set 24 hr and use 1 cup per load it cost me .50 cent per gal hope this helps you guys out

momabear
09-14-2014, 12:19 AM
O.K. this is not so much a cheap thing but it can do so much stuff I think it is a must have , A big cast iron pot , to boil wash in for canning , to boil h2o in to make safe to drink , etc. just think about the things you can use it for and it will last for ever ..

ElevenBravo
09-14-2014, 01:47 AM
Canned foods for sure... Dont forget the protein, canned chicken, tuna, spam and the list goes on!! Might be a bit on the heavy side, but its very convient AND inexpensive compared to alternatives. As I have some extra money, I get freeze dried also to supplement for short term or when there is little time...

Socalman
04-18-2015, 09:51 PM
When just beginning some preps, stay away from freeze dried foods. In an emergency you need calories and if you look at the labels of some, they provide as little as 100 calories per serving, yet the pouch tells you there are 4 servings! That is not enough and is expensive per calorie.

Many good points have been posted so far. One thing I tell people is decide what situation you are prepping for. I am not focused on TEOTWAWKI preps, but on getting by for a bad SHTF situation that might last up to a year. We began with a focus on three days of no gas, water or electricity due to an earthquake. Actually we have dealt with 3 days of no electricity due to wind damage so that provided a slight trial run.

Water storage is critical. There is a rule of threes. Three minutes without oxygen, three days without water and 3 days without food and you are out of the game forever. Given that it we need that water let's look at how to begin storage for next to nothing as that was the question of the OP (original poster.)

Get your hands on some 2 liter soda bottles. We do not drink much but on occasion we have a family party and someone brings a few bottles of coke or whatever. Rinse them very well and refill with tap water. Add about 6 drops of unscented household bleach, put the cap on tightly and store in the corner of a closet or other fairly cool area. I like to use a permanent marker to put the date on the bottle. The "experts" say it is good for a year, though I tend to empty and refill about every 6 months. Pour the water on your plants, not down the drain. We need about a gallon per person per day, so 2 bottles is a day for 1 person. You may get by on somewhat less.
One thing I have done is fill two of them a bit less then full and freeze them. The will help keep my freezer cool when the electricity goes down. Don't freeze all your bottles of water!

Begin by picking up a 1 or 2 pound bag of rice and dried beans. It may not be great just by itself but what I have just mentioned will give you about 3 days for 2 people. If you can afford it, get a can of chicken stock and use it to cook the rice. Someone mentioned adding bullion and that works, but it adds a great deal of sodium.

Can you get your hands on some canning jars? Around my area just about every neighbor has at least one fruit tree and fruit trees do not spread the harvest over several weeks, it seems that 100% of the peaches are ready in one week. We all share with one another. Perhaps you can do the same and can some of that bounty when it all comes in.

Keep reading and every day is a day to do something small to prepare!

Sniper-T
04-19-2015, 12:06 AM
I don't remember if it was mentioned, but a very cheap prep is to work on your green thumb. Either indoors or out, but a few potted plants (veggies/herbs) and work on growing them. buy a little fertilizer and when those plants are done, start again from scratch.

Everyone should have a window or two to sit a plant in front of...

bacpacker
04-19-2015, 12:22 AM
Socal, you are so right about using Chicken Stock. We don't eat a lot of rice (although we have plenty stored), but we do use stock when cooking beans. It adds a very nice flavor to a pot. We use no water in them.
I like your planning time line. Water is the biggest factor we all face. Some much more than others. We have some 55 gallon drums filled and kept dark. Rotated and with bleach. We've had no issues with this for several years now. We always use the water on our trees, bushes, and garden. Another item in this vain, purification! We kept some tablets to carry in the GHBs along with filters for both the kitchen, backpacks, etc. I want to build a system with 2-5 gallon buckets to build a large volume capacity. My next door neighbors both have spring fed ponds that I can draw from if needed.

Willie51
04-24-2015, 12:53 AM
Socal and BP, we use chicken stock when cooking several things. Songbird buys Swansons in the boxes usually 5 to 10 at the time when she finds it on sale and it will last a year or more. She puts fresh spinach in a pan and then pours the chicken stock in and cooks it down and man it is so tasty! She also use it in her homemade mashed potatoes instead of the milk and it too is the best!! We use it in rice, greens beans, squash, dry beans, broccoli and the list goes on.

BP, I built a cheap system for filtering water (actually two systems). Now we do have a Big Berkey that we use everyday, but for backup I bought the ceramic filters from Cheaper Than Dirt (I think, it's been awhile ago) and made two systems that are identical so it took four 5 gal buckets. We also have tablets, and other smaller systems in our GHBs and BOBs.

bacpacker
04-24-2015, 01:46 AM
Willie, it sounds like we are thinking a lot alike on water.

The wife uses stock for rice/Jambalya and mashed taters too. I really like the taste it imparts.

Sniper-T
04-24-2015, 02:02 AM
you guys remember my old thread about dehydrating your own soup stock... right?

bacpacker
04-24-2015, 02:36 AM
Forgot that. I need to look that up.

Katrina
04-24-2015, 02:42 AM
Also don't forget to coupon, coupon, coupon. check your store's policy on coupons though. Around here thanks to that couponing show the companies changed their couponing policy. It's a challenge but last year between the store sales, online coupons and manufacturer coupons I saved over $2,000.00 at the stores.

Socalman
02-15-2018, 02:35 PM
I just wanted to bring this thread back to the fore. I have recently seen so many ads on TV about prepping and purchasing freeze dried foods from one of the major players in the freeze dried market. One good result is it is bringing prepping to the front in many peoples' minds. The problem is that freeze dried food has its own set of problems:

1) It is relatively expensive for the amount of calories/nutrition you get.

2) Without an ample supply of water it is essentially useless.

If I have to, I can open a can of green beans and eat directly from the can without any preparation. Yes, it may not be gourmet dining but it is there, plus there is water in that can.

I continue to be an advocate of the "baby steps" in prepping. We continually add a little with each trip to the market. We add a little water storage each month.

Many of us are not in a situation where we can get out and live off the land. In the Los Angeles area, perhaps only 1000 people could live "off the land". There just isn't that much around anymore. We are setting up to take care of ourselves for a year, provided the zombie hordes do not overrun our place. We might be able to protect the home from a small group but in time a large group will win out. I don't have the firepower to cover all the possible approaches to our place.

orangetom1999
02-20-2018, 04:28 PM
I too am looking into getting some freeze dried foods....over time.

I stock spam because it does not need refrigerating until after it is opened...and stores a long long time.

There is also enough salt in it to keep it long after the expiration date. You will know by smell immediately after opening it if it is bad.

Working on looking into vacuum sealing rice and beans.
Storing salt too while it is inexpensive...and from the dollar store.

Start small..but start somewhere. Ask...lots of people have good advice.

You don't have to break the bank..but start somewhere.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Illini Warrior
02-21-2018, 01:20 AM
I too am looking into getting some freeze dried foods....over time.

I stock spam because it does not need refrigerating until after it is opened...and stores a long long time.

There is also enough salt in it to keep it long after the expiration date. You will know by smell immediately after opening it if it is bad.

Working on looking into vacuum sealing rice and beans.
Storing salt too while it is inexpensive...and from the dollar store.

Start small..but start somewhere. Ask...lots of people have good advice.

You don't have to break the bank..but start somewhere.

Thanks,
Orangetom

better off buying a big 20-25lb bag of salt at one time - dump it in a food grade bucket - seal it - pack it away in an unused corner - forget it until needed ... same same with white sugar - either buy it in bulk or when super cheap during canning season .... both are forever foods ....

orangetom1999
02-24-2018, 03:04 PM
better off buying a big 20-25lb bag of salt at one time - dump it in a food grade bucket - seal it - pack it away in an unused corner - forget it until needed ... same same with white sugar - either buy it in bulk or when super cheap during canning season .... both are forever foods ....

Had not considered putting back sugar..but have been putting back Honey. Salt is very cheap at the dollar store...and that is exactly what I have done ..put into into plastic buckets lined with black heavy plastic contractor bags.

Bought three Peace dollars in .9 silver dated 1922, 1924, and 1925 the other day...and put them away. It is similar to what I do when I purchase .22 long rifles and just put them away.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Illini Warrior
02-25-2018, 01:23 PM
Had not considered putting back sugar..but have been putting back Honey. Salt is very cheap at the dollar store...and that is exactly what I have done ..put into into plastic buckets lined with black heavy plastic contractor bags.

Bought three Peace dollars in .9 silver dated 1922, 1924, and 1925 the other day...and put them away. It is similar to what I do when I purchase .22 long rifles and just put them away.

Thanks,
Orangetom

don't get it wrong - not picking on you ....

but food always need a food grade container - there is no liner to make that stored food safe when you use a contaminated container ... contamination is at a more finite level than just physical contact between food and a surface .... and the contamination is embedded into the container beyond the point of simply washing/soaking it out ... overall good example of this contamination problem is the pickle brine smell in a deli bucket - almost impossible to get that embedded solution out of the plastic pores - that brine smell will transfer into your food even thru a mylar bag and taint your stored food ....

in your particular case you compounded the contamination using that contractor bag - garbage bags are manufactured with unqualified poly & chems and are usually sprayed with a solution to odorize them and repel insects/pests ... I wouldn't even water my garden with H2O that came out of a fresh garbage bag ....

orangetom1999
02-25-2018, 02:36 PM
don't get it wrong - not picking on you ....

but food always need a food grade container - there is no liner to make that stored food safe when you use a contaminated container ... contamination is at a more finite level than just physical contact between food and a surface .... and the contamination is embedded into the container beyond the point of simply washing/soaking it out ... overall good example of this contamination problem is the pickle brine smell in a deli bucket - almost impossible to get that embedded solution out of the plastic pores - that brine smell will transfer into your food even thru a mylar bag and taint your stored food ....

in your particular case you compounded the contamination using that contractor bag - garbage bags are manufactured with unqualified poly & chems and are usually sprayed with a solution to odorize them and repel insects/pests ... I wouldn't even water my garden with H2O that came out of a fresh garbage bag ....

Thanks for that advice Illinois Warrior.

I am not sure where one gets food grade buckets in any quantity. I chose these because they are readily available in quantity.

While I have not so done...my friend who has also done this with these orange buckets from Home Depot ...has put a valve in them and pulled down a vacuum when sealing them. Much of his stuff is in vacuum sealed bags as well. He seals the lids with bathtub type caulk sealer before pulling down a bit of vacuum.

I too have a food saver vacuum machine and put stuff in these buckets lined with black contractors bags.

Yes....I had thick pickle buckets years ago...and discounted them precisely because of the brine smell.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Katrina
02-25-2018, 08:06 PM
OT,
If you have a Menard's, Lowe's or Home Depot nearby, they sell food grade buckets with their other non food buckets and some seals. Here, they are not expensive but a bit thin 5 ml I think.I also posted(thanks RJ) in an earlier post a site that sells buckets and the Gamma seals in "bulk" I didn't think it was expensive for good quality thicker buckets and seals.

orangetom1999
02-25-2018, 11:38 PM
OT,
If you have a Menard's, Lowe's or Home Depot nearby, they sell food grade buckets with their other non food buckets and some seals. Here, they are not expensive but a bit thin 5 ml I think.I also posted(thanks RJ) in an earlier post a site that sells buckets and the Gamma seals in "bulk" I didn't think it was expensive for good quality thicker buckets and seals.

Thanks Katrina...I did not know that information about Lowes or Home Depot...that they carried food grade buckets. I will be checking it out.

Orangetom

Katrina
02-26-2018, 04:14 AM
Not a problem If you're interested PM me and I give you the sight for the "bulk" buckets and seals/lids

Illini Warrior
02-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Thanks Katrina...I did not know that information about Lowes or Home Depot...that they carried food grade buckets. I will be checking it out.

Orangetom

Menards is the only one of the three with FDA registered food grade buckets - Lowes is claiming BPA free buckets - last I checked Home Depot only had their Homer orange paint buckets ....

paint buckets aren't food grade ....

orangetom1999
02-26-2018, 06:09 PM
Menards seems to be an Ohio based store and not found down here in Coastal Virginia.

I did however begin scanning the Home Depot site and found this ....will be investigating further.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-gal-70mil-Food-Safe-Bucket-White-005GFSWH020/300197644

Thanks for bringing it to my attention...and also need to now investigate the proper food safe lid as well.

Orangetom

Domeguy
02-28-2018, 03:03 AM
I guess I’m lucky here. My wife’s bakery goes through around 8 food grade buckets a week. I can get as many as I need. Unfortunately, I only get them when they’re empty, rather than full of icing. I keep telling her every home needs 5-10 gallons of chocolate icing for an SHTF emergency situation.

Illini Warrior
02-28-2018, 12:24 PM
Menards seems to be an Ohio based store and not found down here in Coastal Virginia.

I did however begin scanning the Home Depot site and found this ....will be investigating further.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-gal-70mil-Food-Safe-Bucket-White-005GFSWH020/300197644

Thanks for bringing it to my attention...and also need to now investigate the proper food safe lid as well.

Orangetom

Menards is based in Wisconsin - and limits their stores to a dozen states in the Upper Midwest ....

in regard to Home Depot and food grade - watch for any product switching in the stores - two white buckets in their internet inventory - both being described as "food safe" ... the retail food grade should be OEM stenciled with the FDA qualifications ....

https://www.menards.com/main/maintenance-repair-operations/janitorial/commercial-cleaning-supplies/buckets/century-container-5-gallon-food-safe-pail/0-307-05/p-1444426310665-c-7112.htm?tid=1814869651353126457&ipos=1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/United-Solutions-5-gal-Bucket-in-white-PN0111/300233661

orangetom1999
02-28-2018, 01:52 PM
Ahh...ok...I think I have it here now..

Some of these buckets say only Food Safe and others seem to say FDA approved Food Safe.

Do I have this correct Illinois Warrior?? Is this the crux of that to which you are attempting to make clear here now??

If so I shall have to remember that as this seems to be in the "Details " here.

Also food grade buckets seem to be about 10 mils thicker. It was so too with the bakery Icing buckets as well as the pickle buckets years ago...noticeably thicker.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Illini Warrior
02-28-2018, 02:46 PM
Ahh...ok...I think I have it here now..

Some of these buckets say only Food Safe and others seem to say FDA approved Food Safe.

Do I have this correct Illinois Warrior?? Is this the crux of that to which you are attempting to make clear here now??

If so I shall have to remember that as this seems to be in the "Details " here.

Also food grade buckets seem to be about 10 mils thicker. It was so too with the bakery Icing buckets as well as the pickle buckets years ago...noticeably thicker.

Thanks,
Orangetom

no - not all the bucket manufacturers screen in the FDA info like they should when selling to retailers - they just take stock from their regular food grade inventory and ship - especially when the purchase $$$$ isn't worth the run ....

with Home Depot having those two SKUs for white buckets - be willing to bet you'll find some substituting going on in the stores .....

what Lowes was doing was just slapping a "BPA Free" label on their buckets and claiming food grade - that'll get you in trouble with the FEDs ....

Domeguy
06-23-2018, 04:33 AM
I guess this falls under low cost preps, and this may have been mentioned somewhere before on here, but I just bought a good quality pencil sharpener from eBay for about $6. It has a magnesium frame, and has the large pencil hole, and comes with 2 extra changeable blades. I figure it might help to make sharper sticks to stab or spear something, to aide with making an arrow, and also should help making tender shavings. It will also help to keep my #2 pencils sharp for that important test.

2die4
06-26-2018, 02:26 AM
"Freebies: wherever you are, find out the days that the garbage is picked up. go cruise around the night before, or the morning before pickup. You'd be surprised at how much stuff you can get, and how much money you can earn by doing this. "

I can attest to that. Not prep related but tripped over a quasi-good Keurig while taking the trash out to the communal dumpster. I say quasi because it sounded like a A-10 making a run in the Afghani mountains but it still brewed coffee.Didn't have enough money at the time to buy one so it was a decent find until I had enough to buy a much quieter one.

Kesephist
06-26-2018, 04:37 AM
Dome:
If the frame is thick enough, and is magnesium, putting shavings off the frame onto the tinder will help greatly. I hadn't thought about the notion of using sharpener shavings as tinder. Hm... old school crank pencil sharpener, have it chew up 1/4" doweling, bag the shavings.

The spare blades might be nice for any needful small fine cutting or carving needed. I mind this, as somewhere in the depths I recall seeing a pencil sharpener specifically designed to run on X-acto knife blades.

All this on small cutting tools.... even double bagged in Ziplocs, a 10-pack of Gem or other single edged razor blade wouldn't be taking up much space.

Illini Warrior
06-27-2018, 06:16 PM
I guess this falls under low cost preps, and this may have been mentioned somewhere before on here, but I just bought a good quality pencil sharpener from eBay for about $6. It has a magnesium frame, and has the large pencil hole, and comes with 2 extra changeable blades. I figure it might help to make sharper sticks to stab or spear something, to aide with making an arrow, and also should help making tender shavings. It will also help to keep my #2 pencils sharp for that important test.

the best ones are German made by the GUM company - make kindling shavings from small twigs - put it together with your sparker ....