PDA

View Full Version : EMP video

bacpacker
06-02-2012, 12:17 AM
I ran across this on another site and admit up front that I have not yet watched the entire video. But I have found it rather interesting up to the point I have watched.

Video -- Electronic Armageddon -- National Geographic (http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/national-geographic-channel/full-episodes/explorer/ngc-electronic-armageddon-1/)

mitunnelrat
06-02-2012, 02:14 AM
I only caught 2 minutes of it. Wish I had more time available tonight.

Gearhead
06-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Aye. This is pretty interesting...

Vodin
06-02-2012, 03:31 PM
This is a Faraday Cage for EMP Surges

Video -- The Faraday Cage -- National Geographic (http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/national-geographic-channel/shows/doomsday-preppers/ngc-the-faraday-cage/)

bacpacker
06-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Nice find. Nat Geo puts out some good stuff from time to time.

IDTANDY
06-02-2012, 06:00 PM
As far as transportation goes you should have points and coil ignition motors,no computers,basic engines.Don't overlook Motorcycle engines to power things.

Vodin
06-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Another thought you might consider. If an EMP occurs the nation will go on High ALERT or Marshall Law. I cant find the specific guidelines for Marshall Law other than one. The military will run the area they reside in. Meaning you don't have any rights unless they allow you to do that something. This means you will be told to stay indoors, this is so they don't have to deal with your presence as well as their tasks. This is one of the main reasons I place a BoV low on my to do list. That and I dont have BoP to drive to (Bug out Point).

Others will have other thoughts.

An EMP will be a hard problem to work around since we will be Stone Agers but it is doable.

Question:
An electronic Item wrapped inside a static bag and placed in a Mylar bag.... Would that be an effective Faraday Box?

digdug18
07-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Question:
An electronic Item wrapped inside a static bag and placed in a Mylar bag.... Would that be an effective Faraday Box?

No, not unless the mylar bag is properly grounded, and most likely you'll be screwed because mylar doesn't transfer electrical current that well, or dissipate an EMP.

izzyscout21
07-26-2012, 07:04 PM
I cant believe i missed this before. Thanks for posting it, BP. Nice find.

bacpacker
07-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Crap I forgot I put it up. I never have had a chance to finish watching it.

greg48
11-29-2012, 01:33 PM
there was a guy on the tube [ on the blaze network] that tested and used an alumnium trash can for a farraday cage? his test implied it'd work?

Sniper-T
11-29-2012, 01:58 PM
It's still blocked in canada!! Wtf?

- - - Updated - - -

There was a good discussion on Farraday cages here:

http://www.shtfready.com/threads/1192-My-Faraday-Cage-Test?highlight=fARADAY

greg48
11-29-2012, 03:14 PM
i try to "what if" a lot of scenarios. one i've tried to find an answer to, if the emp was result of an attack. china etc...how long after the lights go out do the chinese airborne hit? since congress has also what if'ed this scenario they also know the answer?

Metrocruiser
11-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the link. I took the prepared test and got 2 to 4 weeks. Its good to know how prepared we are. Need to keep going harder.