PDA

View Full Version : Daily medicine

RedJohn
04-29-2011, 09:38 PM
I have been worried for a while that I would have a serious problem should SHTF lasts too long. I am taking a medicine for my blood pressure (fairly sure this is coming from my weight and a bad diet). I have to take this medicine every day. If I stop taking it, I risk sudden death. You see why it worries me.

So I researched the problem and found out that if I reduce gradually, then the death problem will not appear. This is one problem solved. Now I need to find a natural remedy that can be gathered easily if the problem that prompted this medicine taking is still there when free from the pill. Half the problem solved.

Any of you guys with the same trouble. Did you find suitable replacements just in case?

Stg1swret
04-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Stress, diet and weight are the big contributors to high blood pressure. Try lowering your salt intake, the sodium part of salt is the big factor, weight loss will also help. As far as natural remedies to replace any medication you may be taking, that will depend on what you have been perscribed.

bacpacker
04-29-2011, 11:00 PM
I am in the same boat as you. I've been on BP meds since mid 30's. Apparently heridatary. My grand pa was on BP meds in his early 20's, my mom in her 30's. On top of that I'm over weight as well. On top of that I've been on Diabetis meds for 12 years. The BP is under control, but I struggle keeping the diabetis in check. Luckily I'm not on insulin, but without the oral meds I do struggle.
I hope to find a mineral or herbal supplement that will work to help control both issues.

alaska
04-30-2011, 02:43 AM
here is what i did. I take lisinipril for BP. I dont have insurance so when I pay outta pocket they give me a script for 3 months at a time. i skipped every other day for couple months. then i was able to sandbag a months worth and its in the 72 hour bag.

Before you ask, no i have not looked at the use date. but since i just pulled this off a month ago my plan is to rotate it out every 3 months when i re up my script

bacpacker
04-30-2011, 03:42 AM
Our insurance will pay for 3 months at a time, and I can reorder about 2-3 weeks early and my meds haven't changed for aa while. I've been able to stockpile alomst 6 months worth. When I get a new batch in it gets rotated. So it's never more than 6 months old.
Just keep the reorders coming as quick as allowed and keep up with rotations.

alaska
04-30-2011, 04:08 AM
nice

Stg1swret
04-30-2011, 04:35 AM
The expiration dates on meds aren't quite that. After the expire date, they start losing potency, but will still do the job. Only meds that need refrigeration, should actually be tossed at the expire date.

bacpacker
04-30-2011, 04:51 AM
Stg that is exactly what I have found doing research as well. it seems most meds have a decently long exp date, then like you said a slow degrade after that.