PDA

View Full Version : Med storage

Katrina
06-04-2012, 05:54 AM
I know this may have been addressed elsewhere, but my dr just changed the strength of my levoxyl (thyroid) med and I now have about 2 and half months of the old strength to store. I recently went to getting 3 months at a time and the scrip was changed 2 weeks into this bottle. Of course when I go on line it says to toss the stuff after a year. But I keep reading that I can possibly store it longer than a year but I need to store it properly to keep it viable. Any suggestions?

The Stig
06-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Sorry Katrina, no idea. Not even sure where you could go for reference that would be worthwhile. I suppose you could do some googling but who knows if the information will be accurate.

Do you have any friends of the family that are doctors?

Echo2
06-06-2012, 12:42 AM
cool (sometimes cold)....dry....and dark.

ladyhk13
06-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Katrina, I have read studies done by the FDA for the military that says most meds will last up to 15 years or more. The gov't has been stockpiling meds for years and years. I can't find the origional study that I read it from but here is a link that shows some of the information. I keep all of my extra meds in a box in a cool interior closet. You should not keep liquids too far beyond their dates (year or 2?) or the cyclines - although they are being developed better these days I still wouldn't go too far past their date either.
Defense.gov News Article: Program Extends Drug Shelf-Life (http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=44979)
You can look up Drug Shelf Life Extension Program for more info. You kind of have to dig for the info because it's military and some of the sites are hard to get in to to find what you are looking for. I still haven't been able to get the "list" of meds and their actual dates yet.

apssbc
06-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Lady HK is correct. Stored in a cool dry place pill form meds can last up to 20 ish years and still retain approx 90% of their potency. Liquid meds I wouldnt keep past the expiration. I used to have the studies on a disc somewhere, I will look to find them. When I do I will update because there are a few antibiotics that become toxic if kept over their expiration date. Ill try and find the info.

apssbc
06-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Ok here is some info I found. I lost my stored info due to a hard drive failure. I trying to find my backup disc.

http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/shelf-life-of-prescription-medications/

Im am till looking for the info on toxic meds.

Katrina
06-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks. I think I am going to put the bottle in an airtight pouch and store with the rest of the med equipment I have been acquiring. I also have the Bubba kitty's prozac. He was on it only a few days before he died so we have pretty much all of the bottle.