PDA

View Full Version : The things that make me wonder about people and their ideas about Prepping

hank2222
06-06-2012, 02:24 PM
I belong to about 7 forums that deal with some form of prepping and i allways get a kick out of some people ideas about a super sized homestead with them beening the only one on it or the socalled super duper bov that has all the lastest toys on it and they can not drive it because it use to much gas .

Here is some of the thing's i do try to teach someone when they first ask about prepping lifestyle

1-be energy independent that means solar or wind power set up ..That also means spending money on good qualty items in the field of solar and wind home power system not some cheap junk items that will break down under hard use

2-be smart when it comes to you personal money matters .--That means in my book do not spend money where you do not need to .Also control your monthly out going month that is spent on the bills along with making your lifestyle about beening smart about the things that you buy for prepping

Also i tell them that pay off all there outstanding bills and get rid of the credit cards all but one and keep that one for use as it need and pay the bill as it comes in so not to have a bult up of intrest on the amount that you own them and have it carryed for a while .As part the whole thing about beening money wise i tell them if can not buy it saight out then do not put it on a credit card because of the simple fact about paying cash for it it better for you in the long run

3-live small --be small to me that means live in a small house on a small sized lot that you can manage to work yourself without having to much trouble along with the simple basic fact if your single or couple without childern or the childern is grown and left the nest there is no need for a super sized home and house payment .

As i pointed out to one person i do not need to worry about my land because i have gotten the lot down to a 1/2 arce sized lot that holds everything i need to survive from my raised bed food growing production area to my small home for me to live in full tie plus also having my own well for fresh water and my septic system for my litle home .'

My well is powered by solar and i have back up system that allows me to hand pump the water if need be .

4-Vehicles this is my biggest problem with people who say they need a super duper bug out vehicle and when i asked them this single question i get a stange look from them .

The question is in two parts -first part of the question is how much are you willing to give up when gas get over $5.oo to 8.oo dollars a gallon to drive the socalled super duper bov .

second part of the question now with all the vehicles you have can you drive the socalled bov as a daily driver and if not what happens if your stuck at the office and your super duper bov is at home .

That way i tell that my socalled bov is my daily driver along with chosing my socalled bov it because of the price of gas could get higher and i need to drive to and from work for 4-days a week in my socalled part time job that i have right now .

Vodin
06-06-2012, 09:28 PM
BoV need means rough times are occurring. If that is the case would marshal law go into effect? Marshall law has a vague outline but one rule stands out do as your told. Do you think they want you driving around much less driving a BoV? They would have to search it since it stands out.... I dunno

Evolver
06-07-2012, 01:53 AM
I belong to about 7 forums that deal with some form of prepping and i allways get a kick out of some people ideas about a super sized homestead with them beening the only one on it or the socalled super duper bov that has all the lastest toys on it and they can not drive it because it use to much gas .

Here is some of the thing's i do try to teach someone when they first ask about prepping lifestyle

1-be energy independent that means solar or wind power set up ..That also means spending money on good qualty items in the field of solar and wind home power system not some cheap junk items that will break down under hard use

2-be smart when it comes to you personal money matters .--That means in my book do not spend money where you do not need to .Also control your monthly out going month that is spent on the bills along with making your lifestyle about beening smart about the things that you buy for prepping

Also i tell them that pay off all there outstanding bills and get rid of the credit cards all but one and keep that one for use as it need and pay the bill as it comes in so not to have a bult up of intrest on the amount that you own them and have it carryed for a while .As part the whole thing about beening money wise i tell them if can not buy it saight out then do not put it on a credit card because of the simple fact about paying cash for it it better for you in the long run

3-live small --be small to me that means live in a small house on a small sized lot that you can manage to work yourself without having to much trouble along with the simple basic fact if your single or couple without childern or the childern is grown and left the nest there is no need for a super sized home and house payment .

As i pointed out to one person i do not need to worry about my land because i have gotten the lot down to a 1/2 arce sized lot that holds everything i need to survive from my raised bed food growing production area to my small home for me to live in full tie plus also having my own well for fresh water and my septic system for my litle home .'

My well is powered by solar and i have back up system that allows me to hand pump the water if need be .

4-Vehicles this is my biggest problem with people who say they need a super duper bug out vehicle and when i asked them this single question i get a stange look from them .

The question is in two parts -first part of the question is how much are you willing to give up when gas get over $5.oo to 8.oo dollars a gallon to drive the socalled super duper bov .

second part of the question now with all the vehicles you have can you drive the socalled bov as a daily driver and if not what happens if your stuck at the office and your super duper bov is at home .

That way i tell that my socalled bov is my daily driver along with chosing my socalled bov it because of the price of gas could get higher and i need to drive to and from work for 4-days a week in my socalled part time job that i have right now .
All of the above is a good way to live no matter the condition but as for the BOV goes... Clarence is the main factor. Your tires, chassis hight and drive wheels are your limits. Just one example. Say that your on a two line road or for that matter a four lane freeway and it's at a stand still from all the people that are trying to get to safety, the shoulders are also blocked by traffic and the on side of the shoulder is one or more of the following...
Wet.
Grassy.
Muddy.
Snow covered.
Steep.
Laden with rocks or over grown vegetation.
Snow packed.
Would you rather be in a Hybrid one wheel drive with 13'' tires or something with more ground clearance and traction?
What ever the circumstances are I would rather have more ability than less. IMOP

Evolver
06-07-2012, 02:23 AM
To stay on topic and answer the question. I will never want a duce and a half but an armored SUV would be nice!!! :)

But in White.
http://5.hiconsumption.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Fully-Armored-Knight-XV-SUV-2.jpg?d41d8c

msomnipotent
06-07-2012, 03:08 PM
To stay on topic and answer the question. I will never want a duce and a half but an armored SUV would be nice!!! :)

But in White.
http://5.hiconsumption.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Fully-Armored-Knight-XV-SUV-2.jpg?d41d8c

I would want it in green so I looked eco-friendly.

msomnipotent
06-07-2012, 03:13 PM
I agree with everything Hank says except the credit cards. I suppose it depends on what kind of SHTF you are prepping for, but I am bracing for another financial SHTF. Closing credit accounts hurts your credit score and costs you more in the long run. Keeping our credit scores intact really helped us out of the last financial crisis we were in. Plus, I use the credit card points to buy my preps.

The Stig
06-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Been mulling over a reply to this for a couple days.

There is much there that I agree with. Being financially smart, avoiding debt, living within your means, etc are all very good ideas. Debt is the best way to limit your preps down the road as every dollar going out the door to service your debt (ie pay interest) is a dollar less going into preps.

Energy independence is a good idea but one that I feel might still be in the infancy stages. Yes, I know there are good solar and wind systems out there, but I'm thinking more when there's a universally accepted XYZ brand "my first house power kit". Doesn't mean you shouldn't be researching and exploring options now however.

The homestead and BOV stuff. That's where I differ somewhat.

SHTF means different things to different people. For some (including the official policy of this website) it includes every conceivable bad situation possible from loss of a job to natural disaster to complete zombie Apocalypse. For others, SHTF is a narrow specific event that only includes total catastrophic meltdown of society where we're all suddenly thrust into fending for our lives and living as individual units. The short hand for this is Red Dawn/Mad Max.

Since different people have different views of what qualifies as a SHTF event, it's not unreasonable that they'd also have different approaches to prepping. So for some, the idea of a large isolated homestead and monster truck makes complete and total sense. This is especially true if they happen to like living on a large isolated homestead in day-to-day non-SHTF life.

Example: Mrs Stig drives a Nissan Armada. It's a 14mpg apartment building on wheels. It's our "BOV" if you will. That said, my idea of "bugging out" is for natural or localized disasters only: hurricanes, forest fires, chemical spills, etc. In that case our land yacht is perfectly suited as the chance of going hard-core off-roading is nill (or at least very limited), and I like to ride in comfort. For day to day use, Mrs Stig is a home-maker and drives very short distances. So if gas goes to $5.00/gal it's really of no concern to me. Lastly, you have to live your life in between SHTF events and we enjoy a bigger vehicle and it's utility.

In other words, a monster truck that runs on polar bear tears makes total sense given our specific set of circumstances.

While you raise some valid points, it's always dangerous painting with a broad brush. For some folks a large homestead is ideal, for others it's a train-wreck. For some a 1/2 acre lot in suburbia is ideal, for others its living hell. You clearly enjoy your Smart Car, I wouldn't be caught dead in one. Point is people need to plan for the SHTF events they feel they will face and how they go about it may likely differ from what you have mind. That doesn't necessary mean it is wrong or bad.

slowz1k
06-08-2012, 01:11 PM
So...... Can I keep my 7.4 liter 4x4 Suburban or not? :D

Sniper-T
06-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Only as a daily driver, but not as a BOV.

;)

hank2222
06-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Been mulling over a reply to this for a couple days.

There is much there that I agree with. Being financially smart, avoiding debt, living within your means, etc are all very good ideas. Debt is the best way to limit your preps down the road as every dollar going out the door to service your debt (ie pay interest) is a dollar less going into preps.

Energy independence is a good idea but one that I feel might still be in the infancy stages. Yes, I know there are good solar and wind systems out there, but I'm thinking more when there's a universally accepted XYZ brand "my first house power kit". Doesn't mean you shouldn't be researching and exploring options now however.

The homestead and BOV stuff. That's where I differ somewhat.

SHTF means different things to different people. For some (including the official policy of this website) it includes every conceivable bad situation possible from loss of a job to natural disaster to complete zombie Apocalypse. For others, SHTF is a narrow specific event that only includes total catastrophic meltdown of society where we're all suddenly thrust into fending for our lives and living as individual units. The short hand for this is Red Dawn/Mad Max.

Since different people have different views of what qualifies as a SHTF event, it's not unreasonable that they'd also have different approaches to prepping. So for some, the idea of a large isolated homestead and monster truck makes complete and total sense. This is especially true if they happen to like living on a large isolated homestead in day-to-day non-SHTF life.

Example: Mrs Stig drives a Nissan Armada. It's a 14mpg apartment building on wheels. It's our "BOV" if you will. That said, my idea of "bugging out" is for natural or localized disasters only: hurricanes, forest fires, chemical spills, etc. In that case our land yacht is perfectly suited as the chance of going hard-core off-roading is nill (or at least very limited), and I like to ride in comfort. For day to day use, Mrs Stig is a home-maker and drives very short distances. So if gas goes to $5.00/gal it's really of no concern to me. Lastly, you have to live your life in between SHTF events and we enjoy a bigger vehicle and it's utility.

In other words, a monster truck that runs on polar bear tears makes total sense given our specific set of circumstances.

While you raise some valid points, it's always dangerous painting with a broad brush. For some folks a large homestead is ideal, for others it's a train-wreck. For some a 1/2 acre lot in suburbia is ideal, for others its living hell. You clearly enjoy your Smart Car, I wouldn't be caught dead in one. Point is people need to plan for the SHTF events they feel they will face and how they go about it may likely differ from what you have mind. That doesn't necessary mean it is wrong or bad.

My point is like yours on diff areas but to me it seams most of the new people want to get out and play mad max on the road or red dawn out in the woods .A couple of weeks ago i went to a prep show here in Az and it was some good ideas out there and some not so good idea that had booths there along with a mix of the diff type of people there at the shows from familys groups to single people like me from all walks of life and colors there in the show

The one thing that got me there was the socalled red dawn or mad max types asking about diff thing for use after the shtf living most seam that they want to go and play the mad max lifestyle or be rambo in the woods .

As a sidenote this little trip to the show i found out that one of my boss is a hardcore prepper along with her husband and it was funny when i turned the corner on one set of booths and there she was standing with her husband and looking at me like ok i guess i was right about you look .When i saw her at work we talk about letting me sash a few things in her office like my bug out pack with it supplies for my walk home

As far the bug out vehicle i have allways said what works for you but me after living in LosAngles Ca for a couple of years and dealing with the gas prices there i will allways stay in a small vehicle .My little smart does handle the country roads and the socalled dirt and gravel road i live on pretty good even when there is snow on the ground when i drive into town for work .As i said before each person to there own vehicle since i only have about a 6.mile walk to my place out in the country i figure i could hoof it if i have to and keep a small bag of clothing with shoes to change out of if i need to

My BOL is my place in the White Mountains of Az and i live on full time and drive into town for my job i trimed alot of the area down with the idea of when i get older i can handle it easlyer byself if i need to along with setting up somethings to make one life easlyer .

Plus fixing it to make it easly to grow food on along with making it more energy ready so not to have to rely on the grid also .

Someone bought up credit since i went through a bad time and remembering how hard it was to play off bills and buy food i vowed that i would never be caught like that agian .So now if i can not pay for it outright or use a gift card to get it .So now i will not use a credit card to buy something .

Also it alot easlyer knowing that there is no bill coming in at the end of the month when i use a gift card to buy something over the internet .

There is alot of good idea's about diff things but each person also has to know what will work for them or not work for them in the long run

Vodin
06-09-2012, 01:13 AM
I agree with all stated. And yes my mind has envisioned a military blockade which would nullify the use of my Toy 4runner. Yea I got the big engine, the running lights, the huge wheels, leather interior (it is the dog mobile) and computers for everything. I drive it everyday since I sold my Mustang cause 'I see dark things looming on the horizon'. Behind my house is a natural greenbelt with a stream. And no it wont make it down that. And yes I will put my SUV up against any other store bought vehicle. I don't see a natural disaster or any other issue short of my residence's destruction causing me to live in my vehicle.

Yes if it occurs when I am on the road with it. The it is a vehicle to return me to my spawn point. Almost sounds like WoW if I die I will need to run back to my body for 1/2 life revival.

Anyways. I live in the suburbian Hicks. There will be a time and place for a BoV to be used. Since I lack a bug out point to travel to for the SHTF moment I will remain or goto my residence at that time till the situation changes.

mitunnelrat
06-09-2012, 01:54 AM
I owe you an apology, hank. It seems from your latest reply that I seriously misinterpreted your original post. I read it more as a "my way vs. their way" with a "my way is better" lean to it.

I questioned whether or not it was appropriate for the forum, and for that I am sorry.

I think now I have a little better understanding, but I'm wondering... When you were at that expo, did it look like age/ maturity might play a role in who is doing what? I ask because I can relate my own life to the mentality's you've mentioned. My background, age, and the means I had/ have available have all contributed to my evolution as a prepper.

As a kid I started as a "Wolverine", with vague and unformed notions on what I needed to head to the hills for. That carried me through my early 20's when I went Mad Max, applied what I learned as a mechanized soldier and figured out I'd "need" a vehicle and more supplies to really sustain myself long term.. A big, heavy vehicle seemed the way to go once I could afford one. Enter my Ford Bronco. I sold it for a compact car after I moved further than 5 miles from work.

Along the way though, interesting things have been happening. I started networking online. It taught me to examine what I was running from, if I needed to be running from it, and it convinced me to make more realistic choices. As The Stig has already noted, those choices vary from place to place, and even person to person. Rational discussion and some mentoring has helped me immensely. Still does, actually.

These days I've settled down. My primary plan is bug-in oriented, and this site has been an excellent resource in helping me establish that, but then, that's what the demographic here (by my perception) most supports. the majority being working/ professional adults who are/ were married and settled into their homes.

The one other prep site I visit sometimes seems to see more discussion on bug out preps, and my feeling is its a younger crowd. Heavier on single college students/ young couples in urban areas. I hit it occasionally because I have alternative plans which could see me traveling long distances under some circumstances, and they have extensive gear reviews.. Besides, some of the situations they describe can be entertaining, e.g.:

WWYD if a band of Wolverines approached you

The answer there? Kill them. Kill them all.

Which leads me back to age and maturity. I'd almost bet you're talking to a younger crowd. Those who stick with it, imo, will grow and adapt over time, and the tools of their choice will also change.

I'm living proof.

ladyhk13
06-09-2012, 02:09 AM
I agree about staying out of debt and paying for cash for what you need. I agree about being energy independent. Could I ever live on a postage stamp lot and drive a car where my husband has to put his knees around his shoulders and would be be shut down should an EMP hit? Not in this lifetime. We are building a ranch on 241 acres of gorgeous land that is only 1/2 hour out of a small town and I guarantee your car would never make it onto the property. We will be using hydropower and solar for our electric, growing our own food and raising our own meats. There is no way that could be done on 1/2 acre and be secure when shtf and the "zombies" decide they want what you have and come storming through your fence and doors. There is no security nor privacy. I know that there are some people who have no choice but to live in the city but there are those of us who choose to live in the country, drive large vehicles that only get 10 mpg that's from the 1980's so no computer system to get hit and parts can be found at the junk yard - good luck doing that with your Smart car (ok, we have another that gets 15 and another that gets 30 plus a few Harley's as well that we will make a special garage for at the entrance of the property and they get about 40+ mpg...plus the 4 wheelers and tractors and oh yeah, a bulldozer)...don't think you can have all those things on a half an acre.
As far as having a small house I cannot agree with that view either. Being a prepper I need a lot of space for storage. Once the storage is covered I still need room for family members who want to visit (guest rooms), a craft/sewing room, dh's room to do his thing, mud room for the dogs, laundry room, see where I'm going here? I'm still looking at over 3000 sq/ft. Who says because you are a prepper that you have to live like a pauper or downsize to nothing? Are all preppers supposed to live like people did in the 1800's with no electric or indoor plumbing? My idea of being a prepper and living off the grid is to live like we do now, not owe anyone anything with the same or better standard of life and know that should shtf our lives will not change one bit because we have prepared to take on whatever comes our way. That is what we strive for. I'm sorry you have a sour taste in your mouth about preppers and think so many of us are the Mad Max or Red Dawn type but you never do know what is coming so it probably is a good thing to know a little about a lot of things.

hank2222
06-09-2012, 03:36 AM
It's just me on my land so i did trim alot of the socalled things down i would need if something goes wrong .I have a bike for getting around if the car does not work in the future .

My new place i had bult over the winter is 12.ft tall-x-12.ft round-x-28.ft long that was broken down into two parts of the unit .The first part is the living area is 14.ft long-x-12.ft.wide-x-8.ft tall with all the items i would need for long term living in the place with a bathroom with shower and stool and washer and dryer with a compact kitchen set up along with a twin sized bed with bult in shelfs .

The storage area of the unit is 14.ft long-x-12.ft tall-x-12.round with bult in shelf along with having storage under the floor that is 4.ft tall-x-12.ft wide-x-10.ft long

I figure out how to store about 10.years worth of the basic items for my long term supplies i need in this area in the basic areas of how many bars of bathsoap to stock along with the basic items of long term foods and clothing all vacumed packed into small plastic bags for storage in the storage area of the place .The food items where a package put togerther for me by a long term food company with the idea of basic items that are in 6.gallon sized buckets for storage and since it just me i can get by with a little less n10.sized cans

Also my place back up againest a national forrest and i have all that room if i need to do something also if something goes wrong .

My place in Az gets about 300.days of sunshine a year and when i do use the generator it more during the winter month's to charge the battery bank

hank2222
06-09-2012, 03:44 AM
I think now I have a little better understanding, but I'm wondering... When you were at that expo, did it look like age/ maturity might play a role in who is doing what? I ask because I can relate my own life to the mentality's you've mentioned. My background, age, and the means I had/ have available have all contributed to my evolution as a prepper.

As a kid I started as a "Wolverine", with vague and unformed notions on what I needed to head to the hills for. That carried me through my early 20's when I went Mad Max, applied what I learned as a mechanized soldier and figured out I'd "need" a vehicle and more supplies to really sustain myself long term.. A big, heavy vehicle seemed the way to go once I could afford one. Enter my Ford Bronco. I sold it for a compact car after I moved further than 5 miles from work.

Along the way though, interesting things have been happening. I started networking online. It taught me to examine what I was running from, if I needed to be running from it, and it convinced me to make more realistic choices. As The Stig has already noted, those choices vary from place to place, and even person to person. Rational discussion and some mentoring has helped me immensely. Still does, actually.

These days I've settled down. My primary plan is bug-in oriented, and this site has been an excellent resource in helping me establish that, but then, that's what the demographic here (by my perception) most supports. the majority being working/ professional adults who are/ were married and settled into their homes.

The one other prep site I visit sometimes seems to see more discussion on bug out preps, and my feeling is its a younger crowd. Heavier on single college students/ young couples in urban areas. I hit it occasionally because I have alternative plans which could see me traveling long distances under some circumstances, and they have extensive gear reviews.. Besides, some of the situations they describe can be entertaining, e.g.:

WWYD if a band of Wolverines approached you

The answer there? Kill them. Kill them all.

Which leads me back to age and maturity. I'd almost bet you're talking to a younger crowd. Those who stick with it, imo, will grow and adapt over time, and the tools of their choice will also change.

I'm living proof.

The older people and people with family where more ready for keeping it togerther when something happens but there was a couple of people who just stood out from the rest of wanting to keep it togerther crowd and there where dressed in bdu or semi tactical cool clothing types that you see at the gun show crowds .One of the guys was asking where was the bug out vehicle section of the show and could he drive one and when he found out that they was not one he seamed a little miffed at the whole idea of not having a section for them

The second person who stood out was the guy going around to the trainers guys and asking where could he things for when the shtf .We where looking at the guy like ok there a nut in every mix type of crowd .

Me i'm planing to bug in and lay low and try and keep off people radar that why i went underground to hide out from the normal home building styles plus give it a great way to not to have to heat or cool the place in here in Az

Kodiak
06-09-2012, 04:37 AM

I'm sorry for the poor polar bears, but this made me chuckle. :)

ladyhk13
06-09-2012, 05:33 AM
I have to say that when I go to gun shows I usually wear my "Infidel" t-shirt. It's my "I dare you to say anything to me" attitude coming out and I get lots of people tell me they love it. We are looking at bugging in for sure. We would bug in where we are now as well until we get the other place done and up and running but it's a major project. I didn't start prepping until just a few years ago so I never went through the Rambo thing but being prior military I am not dismissing the dangers that are a possibility and are preparing for those as well as natural and economic disasters.
I, like MTR took this origional post as more of a "my way or no way and I know better than you" kind of thing. I do hope that with input this has been cleared up and understood that we all have different ideas and goals as well as resources. Sharing info is a wonderful thing but I think the coming out and giving "advice" on what people should be doing might have come across as pushy and have to admit it rubbed me the wrong way. I'm glad that you seem to be open to other ideas and other people's thoughts and realize that we aren't a bunch of kids who run around in the woods with airsoft guns playing army here.

mitunnelrat
06-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Lol. Nothing to see here... Move along. Move along.

Unless you can tell me why tapatalk saw fit to post a reply I made on the worm farms here rather than in the appropriate thread...

rentprop1
06-09-2012, 12:21 PM
as for super duper BOV, no, not here, but I made a smart choice in a daily driver, pick up truck, it has 4x4 and slightly lifted, not even considering going off road, but in case there my be street flooding due to heave rains a large puddle I want to drive through or your gas saving Prius blocks me in at the grocery store and I need to tow it sideways down the street to make a point.....oh and of course I may need to put stuff in the bed, ( like to move you kid to college ) get plywood, or a new gas grill, and of course to hold a bunch of stuff..........period

hank2222
06-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I have to say that when I go to gun shows I usually wear my "Infidel" t-shirt. It's my "I dare you to say anything to me" attitude coming out and I get lots of people tell me they love it. We are looking at bugging in for sure. We would bug in where we are now as well until we get the other place done and up and running but it's a major project. I didn't start prepping until just a few years ago so I never went through the Rambo thing but being prior military I am not dismissing the dangers that are a possibility and are preparing for those as well as natural and economic disasters.
I, like MTR took this origional post as more of a "my way or no way and I know better than you" kind of thing. I do hope that with input this has been cleared up and understood that we all have different ideas and goals as well as resources. Sharing info is a wonderful thing but I think the coming out and giving "advice" on what people should be doing might have come across as pushy and have to admit it rubbed me the wrong way. I'm glad that you seem to be open to other ideas and other people's thoughts and realize that we aren't a bunch of kids who run around in the woods with airsoft guns playing army here.

It was never meant to rub anyone the wrong way here it just something i have seen and watched happen now for the last couple of years since most of the people have joined our lifestyle and with all lifestyle choices you get the hard radical types involved and it shows in some areas .You have to understand i have been doing this lifestyle since 1982 time frame and i have seen alot of the socalled movement come and go .

Like my dress now went from wearing combat boot and jeans and t-shirts with diff styless style saying on them to hiking boots to multi pocket shorts and plain no saying t-shirts in the summer time because of the heat here in the Az to winter time dress of hiking boots jeans and a polo shirt and lose and baggy pullover sweatshirt jacket in the winter time out here to better blend in with the area..

Also i try to stay away from the socalled military or tactical cool look in my personal choices of clothing because of me wanting to be more of a grey man type dress

When i do give advice to the people are just starting out i layout the basic ideas and let them go from there and i have give some of the people i know some heavy duty type advice on medical kits or vehicles but in the end i do tell them it there choice in the end on what they do with the info .

Like most of the people here i'm prior military and i learned that somethings are allways going to go south at the wrong time and you have to have some form of plan to deal with them .Me in a major event i'm bugging in and staying put for the time beening

But like my boss said to me last night when we talking about food prep items to have in the storage program it all up to the person to chose what they want to eat in the end not me when it them who is spending the money on the items .

Also one of my friend here where i live calls me the head of the local Smart Car Mafia because of letting some of the wives drive my Smart and now they are trading there old cars in for smarts to drive after driving my smart .:)

helomech
06-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Well in my situation when the weather is bad you have to have a 4wd and lots of ground clearance or you will not get to, or leave my house. Had to tow my wife and son out more than a few times, and he has a truck but it is only 2wd.

ladyhk13
06-10-2012, 04:51 AM
It does seem to make a difference as to what part of the country you live in as to how many people approach prepping as well.

The Stig
06-11-2012, 01:02 AM
The one thing that got me there was the socalled red dawn or mad max types asking about diff thing for use after the shtf living most seam that they want to go and play the mad max lifestyle or be rambo in the woods .

Couldn't agree more. IMO the whole idea that an overweight, out of shape, middle aged guy is going to somehow don battle rattle and go all ninja while living in the woods and hiding his family in a remote cabin is a big circle jerk of wasted time.

It's *usually* where those who are new to the prepping lifestyle begin. "Some bad things are happening, I need to get a gun, a BOV and a BOL" without really thinking through what that means.

But that's ok...as long as someone who knows the truth can gently lead them towards the truth of prepping as a lifestyle, not a make pretend fantasy of lone wolf Rambo-ness.

tompnoid
06-11-2012, 08:26 PM
You have to look local i am in the mountains i have a 86 silverado 9 miles to the gallon local and off roading but highway its 15 to 20 depending on speed. carburetors push in gas only as needed unlike you suv that will spit fuel in at a constant rate then push in air when you hit the pedal. but it sits high and has 4 wheel drive which is absolutely necessary when snow the snow comes up here in the north east. also look local to see if you have streams they will generate electricity for the cost of a broken down car rip out alternator build a water wheel free electricity lots of stuff you can do and as far as debt is concerned i never understood the need for credit cards in general i personally have never had one or needed one. found if i work i can pay for what i need. and what i want comes from saving.

Stormfeather
06-14-2012, 10:49 PM

But in White.

I thought this only came in basic black?

tompnoid
06-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Storm feather that things runs like $400k they will paint it green or put flowers on it if ya pay the cash man.

Sniper-T
06-15-2012, 09:38 PM
here ya go Stormy...

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff235/stella_pearl/Flowers/photo-74.jpg

Put that paint job on it, and make every hippy around gasp an cringe when you stomp the throttle and 4-by over the trees they're hugging!

bacpacker
06-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Sniper, the wife wants to know where the peice sign is?

ladyhk13
06-16-2012, 02:55 AM
I would love to see Scooby Doo on there!

Katrina
06-16-2012, 03:40 AM
Rooby Rooby Doo!!!

hank2222
06-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Last week i spent a few days at the Va hospital getting something checked out and i was amazed at one nurse comment about the whole thing of prepping after she saw me looking at this website one night when i could not sleep .

She was tellling me that she was a closet prepper because of the way the world money market was doing and she was scared that it come down on her like a house of cards and she was also looking at the way people would act if something like that happen .

We talked alot about the diff money markets around the world and how bad things might get and we talked about diff food items we like to keep on hand for those time if we have to bug in and keep a low profile if need be .We talked about three hours on and off and she came and checked up on me as i drink the socalled solution that wanted me to drink before the MRI

She pointed out something that someone else bought up here and she goes i do not understand way some guys want to go out and play mad max or rambo in the wood because they think it cool as we where walking back to room to get me ready to go to my MRI scan that morning .She goes i going home and stay put inless my house is on fire and then only then i'm leaving it .

She asked me about my socalled plan and i told her this statement .

i'm bugging in because my socalled good infantry skills are ok and i keep them up by bow hunting with my compound bow but as i get older i tend move a little slow and i know what my limits are at this age in my life .So i'm staying pretty close to the house for those times when i can see things are not going to be good and go to the ground wait them out if i can.

As my friend scott said one day i gotten use to comfort and i 'm no longer 18 years old and sleep in the pouring rain up againest a tree with just a pouncho to cover me and get up the next morning and run through the woods like a deer and not be stiff and sore and coughing up a lung that morning from catching a fever .So as i get older i like my comfort and sleeping in my own bed as he put it

The Stig
06-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Hank...agree with this completely. Pretending to be Rambo is fruitless.

Hopefully you invited your nurse to join the colony!

hank2222
06-16-2012, 07:09 PM
I did and i give her about four other websites that might help her with her quest to find some basic answer on something that where on her mind that night .

She and a few other nurse that night where asking about some of the basic food storage ideas and we where bouncing ideas off each other as the night progress into the morning hours that night .Most of the nurse on my floor where Combat vets from Vietnam era to A-Stan and the sandbox and they knew there stuf backwards and forewards when it came to there jobs .

As i got from the talk with them there biggest fears it seamed that night was the money markets from around the world all going into the toliet at the same time .

I showed them this website and few others and told them this one was one of the more better and stable sites out there about bouncing new ideas of people who where just getting into the whole idea of prepping along with you team of mods keeped the trolls down to a bare minuim before them getting offed the site for beening a troll .

Stormfeather
06-18-2012, 02:54 AM
here ya go Stormy...

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff235/stella_pearl/Flowers/photo-74.jpg

Put that paint job on it, and make every hippy around gasp an cringe when you stomp the throttle and 4-by over the trees they're hugging!

I think Im going to have to pass. . . was thinking more along the lines of the TerraHawk or the DesertHawk from the ShadowHawk Line of vehicles. Check out Shadow Hawk Vehicles (http://www.shadowhawkvehicles.com) to get a glimpse at post apocalyptic badassness! Profile of a corvette, suspension has anywhere from -2 inches to 44 inches of lift, 50 gallons of fuel, 1100 mile range (yes, 1100!!) 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, Titanium Monocoque chassis, 1,100 horsepower and 1,805 foot pounds of torque and a top speed of 208 MPH!

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/Strmfeathr/Shadowhawk2.jpg