PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good prescription glasses

Vodin
06-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Yeah 4 eyes here needs new external optical enhancement that needs to be reliable. I have come to the point in my life where I need progressive lenses. (That name alone bugs me progressive...) Otherwise known as Bifocals.

Here are the needs

Durable for SHTF moments (Impact and general abuse)
Looks good (I could be Vain)
Carries the option of a heavy prescription (Yeah I am a heavy prescription. But I can see the Iron Sights and the body outline still)
Lens interchange...(not a must have but..)
Good for weapon usage (Aiming)

cwconnertx
06-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Wiley X

XL-1 glasses, everything you describe.

Echo2
06-06-2012, 11:33 PM
For the BOB....I keep the most heavy duty safety glass frames and lenses I can find.

Wally world is the most cost effective solution.....I buy a couple cheapy pairs to destroy.

develop a cashes....and go ahead and buy a couple repair kits. I also keep a couple pieces of thin wire in there for making field repairs...in case you strip a screw or hole.

I do have one good set of Bolli goggles with prescription lenses....and the inserts for my M-40 gas mask.

I do wear contacts...and keep a couple years supply....and that can be stretched.

Evolver
06-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Not bad. ^^^ They kinda look like my non-prescription Smith sunglasses that I wear. http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/350/221732032.jpg

cwconnertx
06-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Not bad. ^^^ They kinda look like my non-prescription Smith sunglasses that I wear. http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/350/221732032.jpg

if you take the foam gasket out and remove the band they look pretty much like normal sunglasses.

They are tough, a one review I read a guy ran over his with his truck and just needed new lenses, but the frames were fine.

ladyhk13
06-07-2012, 01:55 AM
My only concern with buying a couple years worth of Rx lenses when ya get to the age of bifocals is they are expensive (this goes for contact lenses too) and most people have to change their Rx every year so you will have glasses (contacts) that you can't use anymore. Just a thought. Cheap reading glasses in various powers (progressivly higher) from wally world are a very good option for your up close work should you not be able to get to an eye doc wshtf. Don't ya hate getting old? Trifocals are even worse.

GunnerMax
06-07-2012, 02:25 AM
Wiley-X makes some nice transitional glasses.

izzyscout21
06-07-2012, 03:01 AM
All my RX glasses are Oakleys.

I never did care for the Wiley-x's..... but then again, I have a fat head.

Vodin
06-08-2012, 01:29 AM
Wiley X agreed. They are good for the need and look good... yet I am blind enough to have to heavy of a prescription.
Oakleys yes. They are good for the need and look good... yet I am blind enough to have to heavy of a prescription.

I was just informed today that Ray Ban Daddy-O 2578 Large and 2581 Small Frames would provide for most of my wants. Periph protection/Larger Viewing Area/Frame Structure (for abuse)
They don't allow me to easily change lenses with out slowly compromising the frames ability to hold lenses. They cant curve the lenses or the prescription goes bad. So only flat lenses.

Are there any other brands that could provide a lil more of what I seek? (I hate the wide temples I like thinner ones but hey gotta stay in the vogue look I guess)

Side note ALWAYS save your previous glasses your current ones will break....

rentprop1
06-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Could alway order a pair online at place called zenni optical

Gunfixr
06-14-2012, 04:12 AM
I actually have a pair of goggles made by RecSpecs with my Rx in them.
They won't satisfy your vanity, but should satisfy the rest.
But for the rest of the time, I have regular glasses. I have a pretty high prescription. In fact, now getting older, instead of getting worse, my vision is getting better. I've always had bad nearsightedness along with bad astigmatism, and the farsightedness that comes with age is just slowly cancelling some of my nearsightedness.

Vodin
06-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Ok I just came into some money that had left over in it. I bought Ray Ban frames. They are a sunglass frame. They fit the head well... like sunglasses and the lenses are as curved as my prescription allows. I have peripheral vision that is sorta decent. (better than anything else previously) The frame is built for abuse and still looks good. (am I vain?) Now the prescription... I got progressive lenses. (I hate the name) So I will work em out at the range and see if they will do right for me. If not... then 2 frames one for near other for far sighted issues. More when they come in later this week.

Gunfixr
06-21-2012, 03:18 AM
"Am I vain"

LOL, a little vanity is present in pretty much everyone, and isn't a bad thing. It's what makes you wear decent clothes when you leave the house, bathe regulalrly, keep your appearance neat, etc.
Too much is a bad thing.