PDA

View Full Version : getting water from a well, without power

Sniper-T
06-08-2012, 03:21 PM
This is a constant concern for me, as my well is my primary water source. if there is a grid interuption for a few weeks/months, I can make do, but I'd rather not lose the well as an option if I can avoid it.

I just came across this site, and thought "Ding Ding Ding" we have a winner!!

I don't need to buy all the tripod and windlass stuff. But think a couple of those pipe-buckets are going to be tucked away into the ceiling of my garage!!

well water bucket WaterBoy Products home (http://www.wellwaterboy.com/index.html)

helomech
06-08-2012, 03:26 PM
You going to make one, or buy one. Also how do you plan on removing the piping that is in the well now to use this.

Sniper-T
06-08-2012, 04:05 PM
It will only be for a prolonged issue. for the rest of the time it'll be an ornament on the rafter in my garage. I'll probably buy one, to look at how it is made, and then copy the design for a backup.

If the situation is prolonged, the pump, piping and wiring in the well will be useless. I'll cut the pipe above the elbow, remove the retaining nut, and pull the whole works out. I have mountains of pipe couplings, so if/when we got power back, it would be a quick fix to put it back together, and then it would be coupled for future events.

hank2222
06-08-2012, 04:34 PM
here is what i did to make sure i can get water from the well i have .

First off i went solar with extra items for that just in case moment along with putting into the ground a round white color plastic 325 gallon fresh water tank set up with the well is pumped into the tank as it need then used by hand pumping it into the shelter as it need .'

The solar set up is a well system design by Northern Az wind and power company to pump water only and it run by a small solar panel system set up to pump the water into the tank as it needed .The line was pumped into the cabin water puf filtering system as i hand pumped the water it goes through the filtering system then into the water storage tank in the cabin to be used as it needed

helomech
06-08-2012, 04:51 PM
It will only be for a prolonged issue. for the rest of the time it'll be an ornament on the rafter in my garage. I'll probably buy one, to look at how it is made, and then copy the design for a backup.

If the situation is prolonged, the pump, piping and wiring in the well will be useless. I'll cut the pipe above the elbow, remove the retaining nut, and pull the whole works out. I have mountains of pipe couplings, so if/when we got power back, it would be a quick fix to put it back together, and then it would be coupled for future events.

I figured that, was just wondering if you have the ability to pull the pipe out? My well is 500 feet deep, that is a lot of pipe.

Sniper-T
06-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Just to be sure, we are talking the 1-1/2 or 2" small pipe supplying the water to the house, not the 4"ish well pipe, right?

your well may be 500' deep, but it is unlikely that your small pipe is. Your small pipe may be up as high as 50 feet, depending on the strength of your well

As they are drilling, and adding pipe, when the hit water, they stop and measure how strong the refresh rate is. so for you at 500, the water comes rushing up the pipe from the water table they hit. This will come a long ways up the pipe, depending on how strong it is. then they'll drop a small pipe down 20 or 30 feet below the top of the water in the pipe, and hook up a big pump to it, and try to draw the water down. by measuring how long it takes, and how much pumping was required, they can determine the 'strength of your well. If it isn't strong enough, they keep drilling. Yours at 500, they probably hit water 1//2 a dozen times on the way down, but either the quality or the strength wasn't there.

My well is 290' but my sump pump is sitting at 50' and my water level is at 30'

At least that's the way they work around here. I assumed it is universally so. If not, please outline your system.

helomech
06-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Just to be sure, we are talking the 1-1/2 or 2" small pipe supplying the water to the house, not the 4"ish well pipe, right?

your well may be 500' deep, but it is unlikely that your small pipe is. Your small pipe may be up as high as 50 feet, depending on the strength of your well

As they are drilling, and adding pipe, when the hit water, they stop and measure how strong the refresh rate is. so for you at 500, the water comes rushing up the pipe from the water table they hit. This will come a long ways up the pipe, depending on how strong it is. then they'll drop a small pipe down 20 or 30 feet below the top of the water in the pipe, and hook up a big pump to it, and try to draw the water down. by measuring how long it takes, and how much pumping was required, they can determine the 'strength of your well. If it isn't strong enough, they keep drilling. Yours at 500, they probably hit water 1//2 a dozen times on the way down, but either the quality or the strength wasn't there.

My well is 290' but my sump pump is sitting at 50' and my water level is at 30'

At least that's the way they work around here. I assumed it is universally so. If not, please outline your system.

My small pipe is at 300 feet deep, casing is 500 feet. I do have a shallow well that I can drop a bucket in, that is 40 feet deep, water in that well is about 25 feet down. I plan on using a air lift pump for my deep well when the pump that is down there fails. I am assuming they went that deep for the quality of the water, the water is great.

Sniper-T
06-08-2012, 05:58 PM
good plan, air line is a lot cheaper than pipe, and new pumps.

God Bless Venturi!

helomech
06-08-2012, 06:09 PM
good plan, air line is a lot cheaper than pipe, and new pumps.

God Bless Venturi!

And a lot more effecient. I can run a 110 volt or even a 12 volt air pump to do the same job as my 220volt pump I have now. Just need a small pump to give me the water pressure, or make my holding tank high.