PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon hiking.

Dropy
06-08-2012, 09:17 PM
So tomorrow after the wedding we will head to glendive for the night. The following morning we will hit Billings MT and then travel thru red lodge and enter Yellowstone there.

The good news is that i just talked to the park and open carry is allowed inside the park. So fiancee will have her .40, and i will carry my .357. She has 2 mags and i have 3 speedloaders all loaded with those nasty defensive rounds. I think even a large grizzly will go down to these. Besides these are what i have as i dont wanna carry my .40 (it only has 1 mag).

Gonna have to put together day packs for us also, will keep the BOB mentality in midn while doing this....i may just carry my BOB to be honest, the woman may carry something lighter and easier for her to handle.

Also each of us will carry extra ammo in the packs.

Thoughts?

BTW...will have my AR, the .40, and 22/22mag in the truck. Not taking the shotgun or 30-06.

cwconnertx
06-09-2012, 03:41 AM
So tomorrow after the wedding we will head to glendive for the night. The following morning we will hit Billings MT and then travel thru red lodge and enter Yellowstone there.

The good news is that i just talked to the park and open carry is allowed inside the park. So fiancee will have her .40, and i will carry my .357. She has 2 mags and i have 3 speedloaders all loaded with those nasty defensive rounds. I think even a large grizzly will go down to these. Besides these are what i have as i dont wanna carry my .40 (it only has 1 mag).

Gonna have to put together day packs for us also, will keep the BOB mentality in midn while doing this....i may just carry my BOB to be honest, the woman may carry something lighter and easier for her to handle.

Also each of us will carry extra ammo in the packs.

Thoughts?

BTW...will have my AR, the .40, and 22/22mag in the truck. Not taking the shotgun or 30-06.

I would not count on even a 357 taking down a grizzly, but it is better than a 40 for sure, but I would look into solids rather than defensive loads, you need a different type of bullet for large animals than thin skinned humans.

Dropy
06-09-2012, 01:51 PM
i will pick up some heavy FMJ's for the trip then. We will also carry bear spray as i wanted it for our BOBS anyways. in a SHTF event i would use the spray instead of my weapon in some scenarios. Not everyone needs a bullet in them.

So this gives me an excuse to finally buy the spray. =)

IDTANDY
06-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Found this.
"If you must rely on a handgun for bear protection, go with a long-barreled (6" or longer for full velocity) magnum revolver. Preferably, this magnum revolver will be .44 or larger caliber, shooting a heavy, non-expanding or deep penetrating bullet and you should aim for the central nervous system (usually the brain). This will work, but you have to be able to hit the central nervous system 100% of the time under stress, which not many people can do. If you are not an experienced handgunner and/or are not willing to practice regularly with your bear gun, I suggest that you forego choosing a handgun. Remember that accurate bullet placement is the key to stopping power!"

Firearms for Defense against Bears (http://www.chuckhawks.com/firearms_defense_bears.htm)

Dropy
06-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Thats all fine and dandy assumeing i have such a weapon. if it were up to me i would carry a .500 S&W mag. but i dont have the cash for it right now. That being said i have my .357, .22 and .40 to choose from. So i choose the .357 and will load her with heavy FMJ's. Once i move to Alaska you bet ur ass i will have the .500 abd will carry it!.

Evolver
06-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Resort to pepper spray and act like your the biggest bad ass that walks on two legs. Some say to play dead... Yeah right. That's just like telling me to hold my breath of 10 min... aint gona happen. :) If he eats me at least it will be death with some dignity. :)