PDA

View Full Version : where are your priorities for "in the event"

Echo2
06-09-2012, 04:25 AM
where are your priorities for "in the event...."

Now the event can be a large scale "WHATEVER".....but it has put you in survival mode.

Some folks talk of having a group and/ or family to hook up with....but what then?

Are you planning on meeting in the national forest?

Have you already chosen the safest house...that can house the most folks?....and be defended?

These questions seem gigantic....but are really the smallest part of the overall equation. To look at priorities.....you have to look at logistics. A place is important....but food and water will quickly trump starving in a tent or well guarded house.

Beans, bullets, and band-aids.....and in that order.

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, FOOD,FOOD!!!!!!!!

If you do not have the caloric intake to function.....all the guns in world are paperweights.

It drives me nuts when I hear someone say "I have plenty of guns.....".

My response is:

"Are you a homicidal maniac?"
"No."
"Are you planning on becoming a homicidal maniac?"
"No."
"Then you should plan on trading all but a good hunting rifle for a few cans of food....because the food will be worth more than all the guns when you are hungry."

Food is paramount....water to drink, wash, and cook with....is right there with it. A way to store it, a way to cook it, vessels for both. I'm not even going to get into spices...other than history....there is a reason it used to be currency.

Look at it this way....family of 4.....1 lb of food per person.....per day (which is light BTW).....for a year....with out including water....is 1460lbs....or 3/4 of a ton.

It is a scary number....but it is realistic.

SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY!!!!!!

Best way to survive the confrontation.....is to avoid the confrontation.

Guns are important.....knowing how to use them is way more important than having multitudes of them.

I'm not going to get into caliber disputes or platforms....for each persons means and ability are different.

I will offer up what we have done.....STANDARDIZE......and we stick with martial rounds. Military and law enforcement use them in bulk.....they will be on the black market.....that fact has held true in every war and civil uprising through the last couple centuries.

The environment you choose to stay in.....it should be defendable by which ever means you have chose to use.

And DO NOT forget about sanitation......lack of it can kill you just as easy as a bullet.....so yes....it's a form of security.

MEDS, MEDS, MEDS, MEDS, MEDS, MEDS, MEDS, MEDS, MEDS!!!!!!!!!

Get what you can afford.....and as much as you can....books....training....drugs....bandages...et c.

It is also a good idea to mark where the vets and doctors are in the area you plan on being in....and be willing to trade for services.

A now for the really scary part......that is the tip of the iceberg.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Stormfeather
06-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Main priorities never change,

1 Get my family consolidated
2 Have a plan, a back up plan, and several backups to each of those plans.
3 Necessities for survival, food, water, shelter, security.
4 Long Term survivability

helomech
06-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Get to my house if I am not already there and then do as I do ever other day. Tend to the animals, garden, fish and so on. I am far enough out that I don't see large bands of people coming my way. And if so I have the means to defend what I have. Only 4 of us, but everyone in my house is very good with guns.

tompnoid
06-11-2012, 08:57 PM
1. Are my sons ok?
2. Are my sons ok?
3. Is my wife ok?
4. where is my gun?
5. WTF is going on.
6. load shot gun and talk to neighbors
7. Call little sister
8. drink a beer and get ready to deal with issue.

LUNCHBOX
06-12-2012, 10:20 AM
If I have said this once, I've said it a 100 times. Being prepared for a small scale scenario or a large scale scenario is similar in the type of gear you will need.

A 1 week event....food, water, shelter, security, medical, etc.
A 6 month event....shelter, MORE food, water, security, medical, etc.

Don't plan for A scenario, plan for all scenarios.

Stormfeather
06-12-2012, 06:16 PM
If I have said this once, I've said it a 100 times. Being prepared for a small scale scenario or a large scale scenario is similar in the type of gear you will need.

Amen Brother!

austinrob
06-13-2012, 11:36 PM

true... true...

my thinking is that one should make a list of scenarios ordered by their likelihood to happen. Prepare for the first one. that will likely help you prepare for the second one. Preparing for the second will likely help you with the 3rd. Etc... eventually you'll come to an event you're completely prepared for except for event specific items. When that happens for the rest of the events on the list, you're prepared for what might happen, most of what won't happen, and some of what you didn't think of.

Baker
06-14-2012, 12:22 PM

Echoing this 100%.

Doc Torr
06-19-2012, 04:42 PM
It's always the same. Do I have the Five B's? Beans, Bullets, Bandaids, Bivouac and Batteries are my first priorities. Once I have those, it's time to try my comms (cellphone or can on a string. Don't hate, I'm still working on prepping the B's) and see if I can contact my family and acquaintances/accomplices and make sure everyone else is in one piece. From there it becomes OODA loop time to figure out if it's time to consolidate forces and hitch up for the long haul, or if it's time to crash with someone (assuming I'm on the street so to speak) until the temporary crisis blows over.

Vodin
06-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Secure
Wife, Dogs and residence (be it house or vehicle)
Obtain a source of information about the situation.
Lay low, Aid others if needed, Work the situation for the proper out come.

It is hard to give priorities for 'the event' so this will work for me in all events. It covers the priorities for the short future.

izzyscout21
06-20-2012, 12:15 AM

This +100....

My priority is safety and security.

1.) Are all members of my family in a safe location?

2.) Is everyone safe and if not, what do I need to do to secure them? Do I get everyone to the "bunker"? DO I lock the doors? Do I physically need to grab a firearm and render the area as "safe" as I can make it. DO I need to put out a flame? ETC, ETC....

Not everything will call for grabbing food and water.

Take for instance, my vehicle breaking down on the side of the road:

Safety- Is everyone ok? Do I need to separate my family from the vehicle and get them away from traffic? I'd hate for a semi to plow into the rear of our parked jeep.

Security- What is lighting in the area like? Are we visible? O I need to make us more visible? Do the indivisuals that pulled in behind us apper to be a threat?

Priorities change depending on the scenario. I feel that if I cover these 2 first, I can worry about the life sustainment issues later.