PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you know about hydroponics?

ladyhk13
06-10-2012, 05:50 AM
I am thinking about trying some gardening with water instead of soil. I'm really tired of weeds and pests and thought maybe hydroponics could be a good alternative. I'm not interested in raising any fish (is that called aquaponics?) and would like to be able to do it without having to buy a big expensive kit. Have any of you experimented with this type of gardening?

Twitchy
06-10-2012, 06:52 AM
I am thinking about trying some gardening with water instead of soil. I'm really tired of weeds and pests and thought maybe hydroponics could be a good alternative. I'm not interested in raising any fish (is that called aquaponics?) and would like to be able to do it without having to buy a big expensive kit. Have any of you experimented with this type of gardening?

I did a project on it a year ago and it was a nightmare to get right... I believe one of our members here has a setup though if i am not mistaken... It just takes a lot to get it off the ground and you have to keep a close eye on it...

helomech
06-10-2012, 01:39 PM
With hydroponics you will have to buy fertilizers and do lots of water changes. I know you said you are not interested in fish, but you could do aquaponics with pretty fish like koi and have a nice pond to look into. You could also raise koi for sale, they go for a good bit of money. Just because you use fish does not mean you have to eat them. But fish food is a lot cheaper than fertilizers, and you have less waste water. Just a thought.

Sniper-T
06-10-2012, 04:50 PM
I looked into a true hydorponics system a couple weeks ago. and unless you are raising something for profit, it really doesn't look like it would be worth the setup and the run costs. The lights fans and ballasts are incredibly expensive to buy, and to run. After 2 days of research and costing, I shelved the whole idea as not feasible (for me)

I'm happy with my container gardening, minimal weeding, and easy to control.

bacpacker
06-10-2012, 05:06 PM
We've been looking into hydroponics ourselves. Here is where I think we will purchase from, if we decide to go down that route.

Stealth Hydroponics, Inc - $4.99 Shipping! - Hydroponics Systems and Supplies, plant lighting, Aeroponics, grow room, hydroponics shops, grow tent, hydroponics kit, grow kits, buddinghouse (http://www.stealthhydroponics.com/index.php)

We aren't looking at it to provide all our food, but mainly to be able to have fresh produce thru the winter. We can grow most anything for 8 months a year, but would like to be able to fill in the gap in between.

Vodin
06-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Ok here is the best result that I have found.

https://cultivate.towergarden.com/

It has a small footprint and least amount of hassle for Hydroponics. Yes there is a cost. But for the work it save and the results it provides. It will by far outweigh the cost of the unit. I have researched this to the extreme, and would buy it for myself. If your concerned about a power outage it can be set up with solar for the power.

I am working hard with Aquaponics. I am contemplating Tilapia, Pocha, Trout and Catfish for my Pond. I currently have but a couple of goldfish currently since I was assaulted by a coon family. They ate 2 Slider turtles, ~40 goldfish heads, 10ish crawdads and 5 12" Koi heads.

I currently built a small Aquaponics tester bin. I am using pond water (manualy transfered) and raising 3 tomatoes, 3 broccoli, 3 lettuce and basil.

So if I wanted it easy I would go with the https://cultivate.towergarden.com/

ladyhk13
06-10-2012, 11:16 PM
I did some looking and found this pic and it is more of what I had in mind except I would want all the pipes connected with hoses so water could be circulated, the rows not so high so I could reach them, larger pipes for things like tomatoes and larger veggies. I won't need to worry about lighting since it will be in a greenhouse that will be all glass from about waist high and above. This isn't the exact setup but it's the closest thing I've found so far. I don't plan on buying a system but building it myself.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w465/ladyky13/snaphydroponicsystem.jpg

ladyhk13
06-10-2012, 11:24 PM
I looked into a true hydorponics system a couple weeks ago. and unless you are raising something for profit, it really doesn't look like it would be worth the setup and the run costs. The lights fans and ballasts are incredibly expensive to buy, and to run. After 2 days of research and costing, I shelved the whole idea as not feasible (for me)

It would be run on solar (no power bill) for the water circulation and I'm even thinking about putting in radiant heat in the floor that could possibly be used as part of the circulation for the plants as well as keeping the green house warm in the winter. I don't know how warm the water can be for plants but I figure if I keep it in the 60's it shouldn't be too hot for them. Will have ceiling fans for the summer. Thoughts?

Sniper-T
06-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Ah yes... keep forgetting about you southerners. hydro up here, means indoors, huge lights, pumps, fans etc.

sigh!

:(

ladyhk13
06-11-2012, 12:50 AM
We could connect it to our hydro grid but I figure it would be just as easy to have it's own power source and be independent. Will use solar for the small stuff like gates, pond fountains, the green house and anything else I can think of that I can use small solar panels for.

Grumpy Old Man
06-11-2012, 08:20 PM

Sniper, out here in Kommiefornicastan we have stores that cater to those kinds of hydroponicists. All in the name of medicine of course!

tompnoid
06-11-2012, 08:48 PM
i know it produces the best and smoothest weed i miss that stuff too bad we have to have kids and grow up huh?