PDA

View Full Version : Pet antibotics

2die4
06-12-2012, 02:38 AM
Just wanting to know people's thoughts on Pet antibiotics. Especially Fish Mox. Preppers think about food,water, and ammo but all of it is useless if you're sick and can't move.

ladyhk13
06-12-2012, 03:30 AM
I have purchased several of these antibiotics. Cipro, PCN, Amox...a well rounded supply. I bought the highest doses they have available. I know many preppers that use these so I am comfortable buying them. I know that vets use the same meds that are given to people so it seems that most of these "normal" types of meds should be interchangable...you must feel comfortable doing it though. I have used the cipro already when I was sick with no side effects. Each person must make that decision for themselves.

2die4
06-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Thanks. When its life or death taking something for fishes would bug me if I knew it would fix me. Would you recommend a website or any big box stores that may sell it?

ladyhk13
06-12-2012, 05:37 AM
I can't remember right off hand where I ordered it from but you can do a search for Fish Mox online and there are a couple of places. If you can't find it let me know and I'll go back and pull the bottles out and see if the place is on the lables.

Sniper-T
06-12-2012, 10:24 AM
MORE INFO HERE: http://www.shtfready.com/f14/amazon-not-selling-fish-antibiotics-anymore-1084/

LUNCHBOX
06-12-2012, 10:34 AM
I would think everyone will use what is available if it came down to it.

2die4
06-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Very true

Stormfeather
06-12-2012, 06:19 PM
I too have large quantities of the same stashed and have used it it as well. No issues with it or side effects. (except these funny gills on my neck)

ladyhk13
06-12-2012, 08:48 PM
I wished for a mermaid tail but didn't get one...guess I didn't take them long enough :confused:

tompnoid
06-12-2012, 09:42 PM
im alergic to pennycillin like anaphylaxis type of alergy i usually just use heavy doses of alcohol to kill infection. just because z packs are tough to come by would this be ok for someone like me?

2die4
06-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Lot of people are allergic to penicillin. Pen gives me severe stomach issues and my wife it gives her nasty hives, and overall body pains. You may not be allergic to amoxicillin and other antibiotics. Definitely ask your doc.

ladyhk13
06-12-2012, 11:21 PM
NEVER NEVER take any of the "cillians" if you have that kind of reaction.

ladyhk13
06-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Here is the place I have bought from in the past: AQUA-PRODUCTS - Fish and Aquatic Medications : Highest quality medications for aquatic use (http://www.aqua-mox.com/)

Sniper-T
06-13-2012, 02:16 PM
^
*sigh*

Another place that won't ship to Canada.

:(

Circumvent the system. had some shipped to a parcel service just inside the States. Just have to drive down and pick them up.

mwahahahahaha

izzyscout21
06-13-2012, 06:16 PM
tompnoid:

you are going to want to stay away from any type of penicillin deriviative.

Penicillin, amoxicillin, augmentin, Ceclor, are just a few that come tom mind. I've got a big list around here somewhere.

You could possibly take these drugs and not have an issue.

OR

you could go into shock.

Not worth it to play the odds.

izzyscout21
06-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Okay: here's a short list:

anything in the penicillin family:
penicillin G,
procaine penicillin,
benzathine penicillin,
penicillin V,
carbenicillin,
ticarcillin,
piperacillin

izzyscout21
06-13-2012, 06:29 PM
I would also caution you about other deriviatives such as

Carbapenems:

Imipenem
meropenem
ertapenem
doripenem
panipenem
biapenem

cephalosporins:

Cefacetrile (cephacetrile),
Cefadroxil (cefadroxyl; Duricef),
Cephalexin (cephalexin; Keflex),
Cefaloglycin (cephaloglycin),
Cefalonium (cephalonium),
Cefaloridine (cephaloradine),
Cefalotin (cephalothin; Keflin),
Cefapirin (cephapirin; Cefadryl),
Cefatrizine,
Cefazaflur,
Cefazedone,
Cefazolin (cephazolin; Ancef, Kefzol),
Cefradine (cephradine; Velosef),
Cefroxadine,
Ceftezole.
Cefaclor (Ceclor, Distaclor, Keflor, Raniclor),
Cefonicid (Monocid),
Cefprozil (cefproxil; Cefzil),
Cefuroxime (Zefu, Zinnat, Zinacef, Ceftin, Biofuroksym, Xorimax),
Cefuzonam
Cefmetazole,
Cefotetan,
Cefoxitin
loracarbef (Lorabid)
Cephamycins: cefbuperazone, cefmetazole (Zefazone), cefminox, cefotetan (Cefotan), cefoxitin (Mefoxin).

mitunnelrat
06-13-2012, 11:27 PM
And one I don't see on that list is Levaquin. I watched my ex-wife go into anaphylactic shock on that one, and she has cillin allergies as well.

IDTANDY
06-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Any reaction to any PCN shouldn't be toyed with,short of stomach upset.
Your alternative is Erythromycin or Tetracycline and those have side effects.

Levaquin can be bad on the heart rhythm(electrical).

ladyhk13
06-14-2012, 12:28 AM
There are only a few antibiotics available now for FishMox so what you do is look each one up and see what one can be substituted for a cillin. Wikapedia does a pretty good job of giving you this info. I think there is only one there that may be used but check just to make sure. If not, then you might want to look at other websites to see if there is a wider variety available. I just know this co has the higher dosages available and prices are good.

doctorrich
07-11-2012, 07:22 PM
The majority of antibiotics I use in daily veterinary practice are human-origin. However, the main decision on WHICH antibiotic to use is indicated by things like location of infection, probable origin and presumptive ID of the pathogen, penetrating ability of an antibiotic molecule into a disease lesion, and stuff like that.

My favorite example is using an antibiotic that is effective for gram negative pathogens commonly found in the mouth... and using it on the skin of a dog. Because the dog has been licking the lesion... and the majority of bugs in the wound are oral in origin. I love that example :)

Twitchy
07-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Aye, Cipro.... That should be a last resort for infections... Cipro can be extremely dangerous if used icorrectly... there is a reason cipro is only authorized for treatment of some of the most deadliest infections known...

ladyhk13
07-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Any reaction to any PCN shouldn't be toyed with,short of stomach upset.
Your alternative is Erythromycin or Tetracycline and those have side effects.

Levaquin can be bad on the heart rhythm(electrical).

I was told when I was a kid I was allergic to PCN since I got hives (I don't remember them being really bad but it would kill my dad and my brother would turn into the good year blimp!) Do I haven't taken it since. I have taken Cephalexin (cephalexin; Keflex) without any problems.
Am on Levaquin right now for a sinus infection...some stomach upset but I guess not much else so I think I'm okay with that one but am ready to stop since my stomach is already messed up and have to take 80 mg of Nexium a day. One more day (10 days on it) and I'll be finished...never been on it before but good to know it messes with the heart.

cwconnertx
09-15-2012, 06:36 PM
And one I don't see on that list is Levaquin. I watched my ex-wife go into anaphylactic shock on that one, and she has cillin allergies as well.

I had a reaction to levaquin given by IV and I have no problem with cillin, they may not be related. As a side note, I have taken levaquin orally with no issues.

I have
amoxiciilin 250mg #100
Augmentin 85/125 #30
azithromycin 250mg #60
cephalexin 250mg #100
ciproflaxin 250 mg #50
doxycycline 100mg #100
Metronidazole 250mg #100
Penicillin VK 500mg #100
Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim 800/160mg #100

I also have a few opened bottles of a couple things, used to treat fish in the past will no ill effects :)

Possom
09-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Something else to remember. Most antibiotics just lose their effectiveness after they expire. But tetracycline becomes poisonous. Never take expired tetracycline.

cwconnertx
09-16-2012, 01:15 AM
There is only one piece of anecdotal evidence that tytracycline becomes poisonous, and because of that tey changed the composition of the pills to prevent the reaction that MIGHT have been the cause of ONE negative reaction in a sick person. It is no longer dangeous and the decline in effectiveness is minimal as long as 15 years (probably more) after expiration.

Tetracycline is now ok everyone.

ladyhk13
09-16-2012, 05:14 AM
^ That's what I was going to say. Gov't and military studies have shown that almost all meds except for liquids will last for as much as 15-20 years past their expiration dates. The military and VA have been stocking them for years now for shtf scenarios. It is the pharm co's who have decided to put the short term exp dates on the meds or they would go out of business due to people holding on to their old meds.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. the meds however must be stored properly and kept in origional bottles (if able) and NOT in the bathroom where moisture will degrade them.

ladyhk13
01-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Over Christmas BWRR got really sick as many of you know. Was running over 102 temp, sinus issues, body aches, the whole thing. He couldn't shake it. So I thought it was the perfect time to experiment on him with our fish antibiotics to see if they worked. He decided to take the small guys (pcn, 500 mg 2x per day) and the 2nd day the fever had broke and could see that although not well, he was on the upswing. Figured we should try them out while we still had access to a dr. Instead of waiting until shtf and finding out they didn't work. Now I feel totally comfortable in my stock knowing that they are good to go. Will invest in some more since I have noticed that the good ones are getting harder to find and are much more expensive than when I originally bought them. Guess they have realized that people are buying them for personal use so they can make a bigger profit.
So that's my review on fish antibiotics from personal experience.

Possom
01-18-2014, 07:45 PM
I buy fish antibiotics from the local feed store to keep on hand. Last bottle I bought had went up $3.00. Prices will continue to rise. This insurance thing is only going to make it worse. More and more people will turn to alternative means.

ladyhk13
01-19-2014, 12:41 AM
I agree with you.

I have never seen them at our feed stores, they cater to cows, horses and chickens. Not much call for fish in our area. We don't have a pet store anywhere close...tractor supply and the co-op are about it. I kind of doubt Wally World will carry antibiotics. Guess I have to stick with online places and being tracked.

Vodin
01-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Keep in mind they do expire. And if you use them to much your body wont respond as needed (they lose potency) I am not a medical person but I have done some research on em. I have them and have used a set amount to knock out an issue I was experiencing.

ladyhk13
01-20-2014, 06:47 AM
I go by the same rules as I do with any script I get from the doc. Figure that is the best way to go.

Sniper-T
01-20-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm currently running my hound on a round of ammoxicilion... Fish-mox to be exact. seems to be responding well. (5 days in)

ladyhk13
01-21-2014, 01:29 AM
I'm currently running my hound on a round of ammoxicilion... Fish-mox to be exact. seems to be responding well. (5 days in)

Make sure you put some aside in case your kitty gets sick.

Sniper-T
01-21-2014, 10:33 PM
kitty? what do you think I stuff the fish mox capsules in so he'll eat them?
:eek:

ladyhk13
01-22-2014, 02:25 AM
Keep up the attitude Sniper dude and I'm going to come up there and steal your kitty and turn it into an American!

tystone48
02-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Actually you can buy most any antibiotic from a fish store online they carry all and no percription needed...and not for the pets...there the same as what the doc gives...I will find my link and add it to the page soon as I learn how .lol We will be the one who need... most are cheaper then the high dollar drug store. I have used for years..with no insurance ...my vet whom I have been freind with told me anout this years ago...its a must have...

helomech
02-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Yeah, lots of us store pet antibiotics. I don't use it because we have good medical insurance.

ladyhk13
02-14-2014, 05:00 AM
You do need to look around online, the same brand will vary greatly in cost depending where you buy it from. You can also get stuff from Tractor Supply or other places that deal with animals.

Katrina
02-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Don't know how easy it is to get but the prozac the vet prescribed for my krazy kat was human meds. If it would keep might be handy to gave on hand to calm someone down in shftf scenario