PDA

View Full Version : I hate headaches: how to deal with them?

Echo2
06-12-2012, 03:05 PM
...I don't get them very often....but I have a real thumper.

Other than the typical meds....what's a good remedy?

I'm hydrated....blood sugar is OK (I've ate)....working on a cup of coffee now....

I have no rosemary to crush and inhale fumes....:(

What do recommend?

Sniper-T
06-12-2012, 03:16 PM
ice pack on the back of the neck?

Evolver
06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
I know what your going through due to me being a migraine sufferer.
Turmeric sometimes works. I get it in pill form and take 4 of them then if I still have it after a hr I'll take 4 more (1/2 Tbs can be added to hot water and drank as a tea)
Excedrin also works well but most of the time if I can I try to sleep through it with ice packs in a dark room.
I'd try the Turmeric to see if it works for you in the future.

Taz Baby
06-12-2012, 04:49 PM
migrane suffer here. I use this herbal tea. Two step method. Sniff the herbs then make tea. So far Ijust have to smell it 2times and 5 min later no pain.
nuwati herbals, the healer tea. For allergies, colds, headache. I won't use anything else but this.
NuwatiHerbals.com. Cheap too

Echo2
06-12-2012, 05:18 PM
coffee....a cold pack out of the BOB.....and 45 mins horizontal did the trick.....

Thanks guys....

bacpacker
06-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Glad your feeling better Echo.

Today must be the day for feeling crappy, I was up all night sick at my stomach. Just now able to eat a little bit.

tompnoid
06-12-2012, 08:26 PM
alcohol it thins the blood and dialates the capilaries and besides when you are drunk a head ache is the last thing on your mind

izzyscout21
06-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Imitrex.

Just about the only thing for my migraines.

realist
06-16-2012, 08:55 PM
My wife gets them all the time. I hate them too.

Stg1swret
06-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I get cluster headaches, also called 'suicide headaches, so I know the pain. Wish I had some advice. The meds I had to take are no longer on the market so I'm no help here except moral support.

Taz Baby
06-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Imitrex.

I have taken that too and had the shots but am now immunized to it. It no longer works for me. But it was wonderful when it did work.

izzyscout21
06-20-2012, 12:47 AM
I know what you mean. I tried Zomig, but it did bad things....

Taz Baby
06-20-2012, 01:52 AM
I don't take meds for my headaches anymore. I just use herbs for meds. They seem to work better and no side affects.

Taz Baby
10-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Here is something that a friend sent me about migraine headaches. I for one know all about how painful they can be. I use herbs to get rid of mine and I take Cayenne for mine. It is a PDF file. Something about it(copied and pasted)

October 3, 2012 Migraines-By David Christopher MH About 15% of the population suffers from migraine headaches, and only a small fraction does anything to prevent them. In order to prevent migraines we need to know what causes them. There are a number of theories as to the cause but no one really knows. One theory looks at widening blood vessels in the meninges (the three layers that cover the brain and spinal cord) which activates pain signals. Another looks at increased waves of activity in the cortex causing aura and activating pain signals, and yet another alludes to dysfunction in the brain stem that trigger migraine symptoms. The first theory could be classified as another cardio vascular disease. It is typified by weak blood vessels that expand with increased activity. They fill with blood but do not have the strength to contract and push the blood out. This pooling accounts for most migraines. These migraines should be treated with cayenne, one teaspoon in a glass of water and consumed orally. Cayenne increases circulation and removes the stagnant blood from the area and also blocks pain signals. Cayenne can also be used as a preventative, by taking as little as two capsules or one teaspoon in water every day. Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) taken on a daily basis is also purported to prevent migraines. Another herb showing promise is Butterbur (Petasites hybridus). However, I am much more familiar with the red pepper. If taking it orally doesn’t stop the headache then a small pinch snuffed up the nostril, on the same side of the head where the pain is, should stop the migraine within minutes. Eating excessive amounts of Vitamin C rich foods tones the cellular wall and the accompanying flavonoids including the vascular strengthening flavonoid, rutin, greatly improves the vascular integrity.

http://herballegacy.com/Migraines2.pdf

Here is the link to Dr Christopher's Herbal Legacy

http://www.herballegacy.com/

You Don't have to sign up to read stuff on here.

ladyhk13
10-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Imitrex.

Except when you are allergic to it like I am so if we are ever together and I am down with one Izzy don't give it to me, ok?

ladyhk13
10-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I know what you mean. I tried Zomig, but it did bad things....

Same for me...can't take it either. Sucks to be allergic to so many of the good meds. I just take Topomax and Fioricet daily. I'm at the max doses so when it doesn't work I'm screwed.

izzyscout21
10-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Same for me...can't take it either. Sucks to be allergic to so many of the good meds. I just take Topomax and Fioricet daily. I'm at the max doses so when it doesn't work I'm screwed.

When you're at that level, all you can do is take somethign to knock you out..............or drink.........:rolleyes:

Echo2
10-04-2012, 06:10 PM

Holy Crap....I had been prescribed a low dose Fioricet once before.....knocked me down every time I took one.

cwconnertx
10-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Coffee.... you drink it... with a little baileys and whiskey, you may or may not feel better, just keep going until you don't care.

ladyhk13
10-04-2012, 11:10 PM
I take 400 mg of Topomax a day and usually 4-6 Fioricet a day - go through about 100 a month. I have very severe migrains and have for most of my life. There is nothing that can be done...they have tried everything except occipital blocks and botox injections which I have really not wanted to do but I think I may be almost to that point (botox, not occipital blocks...seen too many go very very bad).
I live with them and just deal, what else can I do? No sense complaining...no one would listen anyway :)

Willie51
10-04-2012, 11:23 PM
I have migraines too and they used to be worse than they are now. It seems I've grown out of the worst of them. But Classic Coca-Cola works for me and when bad I take Excedrin every 4 hours with the Coke. How I found out was, I had one so bad one time about 25 years ago, I was puking and out of commission for 2 days. A nurse at the doctor's office told the wife to go get some Classic Coke (not Pepsi, not diet, etc) and have me drink all I wanted. She went to the store and got it, and it really worked! I was shocked after one glass it was completely gone. It does not always now, but most of the time it does. Coffee does not work for me, it makes them worse.

IDTANDY
10-06-2012, 05:40 PM
My mother suffered all her life towards the end she was placed on Ergotamine and caffeine (Cafergot).Ergotamine is an old treatment for acute Migraines.It really worked well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotamine

rentprop1
10-07-2012, 03:29 AM
reading this has given me a headache .....lol...j/k.....I like the walmart version of Excedrine and find it works well