PDA

View Full Version : Does the military aircraft flying over your home bother anyone else?

tompnoid
06-14-2012, 10:50 PM
I kinda feel worried about what happens when things really go wrong and i want to hide out how can you with the military helicopters and planes flying over head? Is this thought ever in your head? Or am i just being paranoid?

izzyscout21
06-15-2012, 12:35 AM
I think it's a little paranoid myself.

If things ever go really bad (and I mean, super SHTF bad), most of your REAL soldiers, are folks just like you. They have better things to do than fly over or walk around looking for their own countrymen. Most military folks are going to be doing the exact same thing you will be doing....looking out for their families.

ladyhk13
06-15-2012, 06:01 AM
They fly over our house all the time. DH says it's because of what I say online and the forums I go to but I'm a good girl and behave myself (ok, for the past year I have). We happen to live between an aeronautical R&D testing facility and the next state down there is an Army base so they fly back and forth all the time. I just don't like the sonic booms but I have gotten used to them and know they come in pairs so if someday I hear only one I know there's a problem.
I don't like it but I've learned to live with it.

The Stig
06-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Is this thought ever in your head? Or am i just being paranoid?

No and yes.

helomech
06-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Lost of them fly over my house, and I am not real sure why. I am halfway between Houston and Dallas, no airforce bases near me. Lots of B-52, some black hawks, small lear type jets fly real low. Some c-17's, and so on.

GunnerMax
06-15-2012, 01:56 PM
I agree with Izzy on this one. most of us have family's and our bosses have families. and believe me, most of us are like normal folks, but more shooting and overall cool shit to do.

Sniper-T
06-15-2012, 02:02 PM
^

That should be the new catchphrase for the Armed Forces!

"Normal folk, but more shooting and overall cool shit to do"

Somebody fire up the poster making machine!

:)

Grumpy Old Man
06-15-2012, 04:03 PM
I live between Camp Pendleton, 29 Palms, Yermo, Ft.Irvine, with China Lake and Yuma farther out. March ARB is 10 miles due north of my plant. I fish out of San Diego Harbor. I see planes from MiraMar and North Island, choppers from Pendleton and 29 Palms all the time. I do notice when there is more activity than usual. And I do go to the air shows. The only time I get real nervous is when the firefighting planes and choppers are flying. But, if it isn't usual for your area, pay attention and track what happens. But don't freak out!

Sniper-T
06-15-2012, 04:13 PM
x2 on the water bombers! When they're circling, I know the fire is close

tompnoid
06-15-2012, 07:31 PM
can i tell yall a story about what happened last year? and this just sticks with me

last year me my three year old and my then 8 year old went for a hike down by the river. we went back the trail which leads back the conoguinea creek went back had lunch seen some deer kids had a blast and as we get back out these heli's come in and damn near land int he creek!! i tuck the kids behind me get my knife out which is all i brought with. and tell them to keep thier heads down. we come out to the end of the trail there is 45 cops guns trained on me and my kids screaming get your hands up get your hands up!!! gettin nervous as i speak about it now. anyway i hollered i have my kids what do you want. and they yell over the bull horn walk out slow with your hands in the air my youngest trys to dart out i tripped him and told him get behind me. we get out slow and the cops frisk all of us ask me for my id and if we seen anyone else while we were back there i tell them no and we go home. now let me state i have beenlocked up ran from the cops even thrown blows with a few when me and my ex went through our problems i am not a coward but i feared for me and my kids life that day and 45 to 1 is bad odds. this is what scares me going down the road to when shtf for real

mitunnelrat
06-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Sounds like they had a manhunt going, Tom. I'd be more relieved I didn't have to face the one(s) they wanted.

And am I reading all of this right... You pulled a knife on a helicopter?

cwconnertx
06-15-2012, 10:39 PM
And am I reading all of this right... You pulled a knife on a helicopter?

That is what I was thinking, when they were coming down I would have been out of there, I guess they would have chased me down...

Also, sounds like police not military, I am always more leary of the police, especially local, than military.

bacpacker
06-16-2012, 12:33 AM
I do notice when there is more activity than usual. And I do go to the air shows. pay attention and track what happens. But don't freak out!

I agree Grumpy. We have a tanker base at the airport, also a helo base, Blackhawks and Kiowa's mostly. We have quite a few F-18's come in and do touch and go's, harriers, ocassional C-130's and a C-17 every now and then.

They used to have air shows at least every other year. We haven't had one here since 9/11. I miss them.

That said, I would want to have a crash around here. Those are never good and very un-survivable.

realist
06-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Many moons ago I was driving what later turned out to be a truck that matched a guy who pistol whipped his wife. I was stopped by a young cop who had this information and was sure that he had the right guy. I knew I had not done anything wrong. He was even more convinced when he found my gun that was under my jacket. The important thing to remember is if you have not done anything wrong then you should be okay however if you do something stupid in that type of situation you can end up real dead. Yes the situation sucked however I did live through it (no duh). The cop was only doing his job. Things got cleared up when one of his cover officers turned out to be a guy I went to school with. So do as your told and then deal with it, when everything is said and done.

On the other hand if you are doing stuff that you should not be doing then those black helicopters are probably watching you along with the drones, and they really are listening in on that wire tap..............have a nice day..........

ladyhk13
06-17-2012, 03:21 AM
ooooooooooooohhhh crap.

Gunfixr
06-17-2012, 04:39 AM
I live about a half mile from the air base that is tactical air command hq.
So no, I don't really give any thought to military aircraft flying overhead.

We're so close, it's like hiding in plain sight.

tompnoid
06-18-2012, 07:24 PM
pulled out what i had on me whatever works for the moment. seems silly but feel better with something instead of nothing

tompnoid
06-18-2012, 07:26 PM
oh we were moving just no where to go creek with helicopter on one side and cliff to the left path back into the woods and path out of woods narrow trail. i have fished there a thousand times no way out

Kodiak
06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Wright Pat airforce base is 30 miles north, we see all kinds of military aircraft so we don't think about it much. If shtf I'm sure they will have bigger priorities than us anyways.

rice paddy daddy
06-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Military flights are over The Ol' Homestead almost every day. Blackhawks (and the Navy version also), CH-47 Chinooks, P-3 Orions, the twin turbo-prop Navy sub hunters, F-15's (Florida Air Guard), C-130's. A couple of F-18's came by over the weekend.
My wife and I love it, and when the choppers come over low we always run outside and wave like crazy and do a happy-dance.
Every great once in a while there's a Huey. Makes my hair stand up! They're almost all gone now.

Stormfeather
06-26-2012, 08:32 AM
happens all the time around here

LUNCHBOX
06-26-2012, 08:56 AM
I agree....I'm not to worried about a few of our Air Force boys/girls. I'll worry if it is someone else flying overhead.

tompnoid
06-26-2012, 10:59 PM
who would that be you are worried about?

LUNCHBOX
06-28-2012, 05:40 AM
who would that be you are worried about?

T, if it happens you will know.

rice paddy daddy
07-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Speaking of aircraft flying over, last week I saw a film called "In The Shadow Of The Blade". It's a documentary of a trip of healing and peace flown by a restored Huey that made stops all across America, the crew interviewing and giving rides to Vietnam vets, Gold Star Mothers, children of KIA's, even a couple of Donut Dollies. The film editors made sure there were plenty of that unmistakable Huey blade noise.
There were some teary moments on my part, and even my wife who generally dislikes war stuff was captivated.
I highly recommend this film to Nam vets, families of Nam vets, or anyone interested in military history.
I saw it on the Pentagon Channel, but now I'm gonna buy a copy for those sleepless late nites. Just me, my headphones and some memories. And tears.
Carry on!

eagle326
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Speaking of aircraft flying over, last week I saw a film called "In The Shadow Of The Blade". It's a documentary of a trip of healing and peace flown by a restored Huey that made stops all across America, the crew interviewing and giving rides to Vietnam vets, Gold Star Mothers, children of KIA's, even a couple of Donut Dollies. The film editors made sure there were plenty of that unmistakable Huey blade noise.
There were some teary moments on my part, and even my wife who generally dislikes war stuff was captivated.
I highly recommend this film to Nam vets, families of Nam vets, or anyone interested in military history.
I saw it on the Pentagon Channel, but now I'm gonna buy a copy for those sleepless late nites. Just me, my headphones and some memories. And tears.
Carry on!

So true Rice Paddy ; Whenever I see or hear a slick I have to see it if I can. Still sends a chill down my spine and a tear of love in my eyes. GOD I LOVE THEM!!!

rice paddy daddy
07-02-2012, 02:05 PM
So true Rice Paddy ; Whenever I see or hear a slick I have to see it if I can. Still sends a chill down my spine and a tear of love in my eyes. GOD I LOVE THEM!!!
One of the vets in the film said the blades reminded him of the wings of a mother hen, covering and protecting her brood.
So true, so true.

eagle326
07-02-2012, 07:23 PM
One of the vets in the film said the blades reminded him of the wings of a mother hen, covering and protecting her brood.
So true, so true.

I've always said and always will. Those pilots had balls the size of elephants. If you were in trouble they were coming in Hell or High Water whether they had Cobra support or not.
And lets not forget those crazy door gunners. So yea they were like a mother hen or an angry eagle protecting it's young.

IDTANDY
07-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Grew up mil and spent 20+ the sound of aircraft was always around.
They sometimes trigger memories..........Heuys.......
Door gunners,Jolly Green.......and Sandys....riding the hoist.

rice paddy daddy
07-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I've always said and always will. Those pilots had balls the size of elephants. If you were in trouble they were coming in Hell or High Water whether they had Cobra support or not.
And lets not forget those crazy door gunners. So yea they were like a mother hen or an angry eagle protecting it's young.

Pilots Prayer
author unknown

Lord, grant me the eyes of an eagle,
The radar of a bat,
And the balls of an Army helicopter pilot.