PDA

View Full Version : Logistics of re-supply at the fighting load out level

ak474u
06-17-2012, 05:27 AM
Ok, so... Lots of us have a 1st, 2nd, and TEOTWAWKI combat load out. Example: mine is 1st line - pistol style belt with drop leg holster, 4 pistol mags, BOK, multi tool, light holster, roll up dump pouch, and 2-20 round AK mags, built on the bump in the night that takes me outdoors, or a working around the BOL type situation it's minimal for the rifle because it's primarily focused on pistol. 2nd line - plate carrier with cummerbund removed for weight elimination (no side armor right now, and none coming anytime soon) cumberbund is setup with GP pouch and can be re-attached without removal of pouches since the pouch is on my weak side, the PC has 3-30 round AK mags, which gives me 130 x39 rounds with the 1st line, and 4 17 round pistol mags up front. The PC stays clean at the back in case it has to be worn in a vehicle. That's very likely plenty if SHTF today, but.... What about SHTF Day +1? I've got enough ammo to last till my luck runs out stored here, and at the BOL, but if one has to go on foot, or is literally over run and can't get out with much, assuming you don't have a cache nearby, and your BOB is lightly configured for re-supply due to size, and weight constraints of other mission critical gear, how have you planned to carry extra ammo? I don't see a lot of mention of additional carrying methods for re-supply. If I gotta take the Nike Express, my plan is pretty ghetto, pad the handle of a .50 can, sling my rifle, and carry it. I met a guy who went into Panama to take an " un-defended target" and was out of ammo in the first few minutes when the standard load out wasn't enough. I'm not planning to go toe to toe with an army, but expecting the unexpected is probably a good idea.

Anybody have an ingenious idea? Exclude "extra ammo" in your BOB, I have that too.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Gunfixr
06-17-2012, 01:18 PM
So far I have one cache, but it's not here in the city. Sooner or later, someone would inadvertently find it. So it's kind of far away for on foot.

This is one of the reasons I have so many different weapons. Even if all of us used the same weapon type, and carried the same ammo, we'd all run out. With different calibers, our chances of "field pickup" increase greatly. "Field pickup" isn't something I wanted to rely on, for it is not reliable, but unless there will be someplace to acquire it on some sort of business or trade proposition, it is the only method, since we won't have a resupply train.

It's also why, even though I have some pretty nice weapons, only a few of them are really tricked out. I may be forced to ditch any of them in the event I keep finding ammo for something else. I will just take a matching weapon also. For this reason, I study different systems, and can run most things likely to be encountered, and many that are not.

Echo2
06-17-2012, 02:16 PM
The BOL is 3 days by foot....we have cashes along the way.

We have radios....and pre-determined pick up points and way to mark said points as being occupied for retrieval.(example: first cashe has a radio with a true 7 mile range....and reflective stickers to place on road signs....if a retrieval team sees the sticker....they know the pick up point is occupied....they signal....we signal...we meet and go to BOL.

This may seem a bit extreme....but we have families....i.e. kids....and a forced march for them is not always an option.

Once a year....the family who would be picked up on the route....rotate the batteries and MREs in the cash...for they are the ones who picked their location and contents. I keep 2 boxes of 100rd bulk 9mm...along with 5 MREs....and 2 sets of batts for the radio.

I have rotated twice.

I pray I'll have my BOB if we have to hoof it.

GunnerMax
06-17-2012, 03:33 PM
I can run with 16 mags on my setup, with a dropleg, and 1 in the gun. I can run ammo heavy, or ammo light. I am planning on stripper clips for my buttpack to hold extra ammo. There is a reason I run mag heavy :)

cwconnertx
06-18-2012, 04:34 AM
I have 2 conversion kits for both my rifle and pistol (ar15 and glock19) for an extended bug out on foot, I'll end up using 22 in one or both since I can carry 1000 rounds of 22, but not 5.56 or 9mm. I know I just can't hump 50 pounds of ammo and other things I might need.

slowz1k
06-18-2012, 01:31 PM
This is a great topic! I've already learned a lot and we're just 5 posts in.
This is an area that I need to concentrate on. I have a lot of LBE, and one PC with only IIA soft armor. I think I've neglected organizing this aspect of my preps due to my "Bug in" mindset. Even knowing full well that there will be a time when we must venture out for whatever reason....
I'm now inspired. Thanks for this thread!

realist
06-18-2012, 03:40 PM
My truck is fully outfitted with most of the things that I would need to bug out for an extended period. I am constantly revising and adding material. The problem with being ammo heavy with your BOB is that it leaves little room for food and water. I see food and water as being priority along with weapons I try to balance them out. One thing that I look at is, when it does hit the fan, I have several "plan Bs" that will allow me to travel and refurbish ammo, so food and water is more important

cwconnertx
06-18-2012, 07:23 PM
My truck is fully outfitted with most of the things that I would need to bug out for an extended period. I am constantly revising and adding material. The problem with being ammo heavy with your BOB is that it leaves little room for food and water. I see food and water as being priority along with weapons I try to balance them out. One thing that I look at is, when it does hit the fan, I have several "plan Bs" that will allow me to travel and refurbish ammo, so food and water is more important

I have more ways to get food than ammo; and if I need ammo in a hurry its a bigger emergency than needing food.

Plus... sadly... i probably have a 2-3week emergency supply of food stored around my waist :(

I think in a bug out situation I can probably get food easier than ammo. But we are talking about a fighting load here, and to me ammo beats out food in a fight. At least in the short term.

tompnoid
06-18-2012, 08:34 PM
If we are talking taking on an army i am strategically located cliffs on both sides one way in or out its a pinch point so buggin in is the best bet. but leaving will eventually happen and the rear is best way out for us. i am taking 2 rifles and my shot gun no auto matic weapons but the shot gun has plenty of buck shot and one round at a time will suppress alot of people. i have stuffed my winter coat with ammo so it is wear able and able to carry a thousand rounds while still being able to carry a tent food small amount of water and basic bug out supplies.

Echo2
06-18-2012, 08:41 PM
If we are talking taking on an army i am strategically located cliffs on both sides one way in or out its a pinch point so buggin in is the best bet. but leaving will eventually happen and the rear is best way out for us. i am taking 2 rifles and my shot gun no auto matic weapons but the shot gun has plenty of buck shot and one round at a time will suppress alot of people. i have stuffed my winter coat with ammo so it is wear able and able to carry a thousand rounds while still being able to carry a tent food small amount of water and basic bug out supplies.

If it were me....I'd loose the extra guns....do a primary and a secondary.....and carry more food.....but that's just me...:)

cwconnertx
06-18-2012, 09:32 PM

Have you ever carried two rifles and a shotgun? Its not so easy, then you have several types of ammo unless the rifles are the same, but shotgun ammo is heavy too.

I used to think I'd carry several of my weapons, but after taking a little hike with them packed I decided that made no sense. Just have a good primary and a handgun.

In some situations I can see taking my 10/22 takedown as well. Of course all of this is assuming I end up solo, hopefully I can get my team together before I have to go into
a fight.

mitunnelrat
06-18-2012, 09:57 PM
I have 180 rounds, on stripper clips, in grenade pouches on my 2nd line. The pouches hold 60 rounds each just about perfectly. Just enough to reload my mags once.

bacpacker
06-18-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm still developing my fighting load. Currently I have a harness/belt combo with mag pouches and can carry 8 mags for the AR, plus one in the rifle. I also will have 5 pistol mags for the Glock. The wife will have 5 pistol mags and right now our .22 and 500 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag ammo for it In my butt pack, I plan on another 500 rounds of .22 and another 300 rounds of .223. I do plan on getting .22 conversions for both the AR and 1 of our Glocks. Once that happens the load out may change some, maybe not.

If I go much higher than that Weight will be much more of an issue than it already is for a BO. If It's just a needed load for around the house, I'll certainly carry more.

tc556guy
06-19-2012, 01:13 PM
If I gotta take the Nike Express, my plan is pretty ghetto, pad the handle of a .50 can, sling my rifle, and carry it. I met a guy who went into Panama to take an " un-defended target" and was out of ammo in the first few minutes when the standard load out wasn't enough. I'm not planning to go toe to toe with an army, but expecting the unexpected is probably a good idea.

Its pretty simple.
Try not to get into gunbattles.
I mean, if you are burning through hundreds and hundreds of rounds on what should be a defensive weapon, you are way too visible or you're doing something wrong.

I would dump that ammo can and invest in some surplus military bandoliers.

Cache ammo at whatever places you can ID as being safe to do so. Can't say what that would be for you, since I don't know your situation

Echo2
06-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Something you city dwellers should get a hold of is a good map of the rail systems in your area. I procured one for my brother....and if they must hoof it.....the railways will be much less traveled than the roads....until they get out of the city.

Also there are a lot of berms and cover areas....not to mention fences to keep folks out of rail areas. If you move quickly....the idea of "OFF LIMITS" will still be in the minds of a lot of evil doers.

ak474u
06-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Its pretty simple.
Try not to get into gunbattles.
I mean, if you are burning through hundreds and hundreds of rounds on what should be a defensive weapon, you are way too visible or you're doing something wrong.

I would dump that ammo can and invest in some surplus military bandoliers.

Cache ammo at whatever places you can ID as being safe to do so. Can't say what that would be for you, since I don't know your situation

I agree, the bandoliers are a good solution, except, that they aren't as weatherproof as a can, and obviously the can being cumbersome, can be stashed/buried in any weather for the short term, along with a spare pistol while not in use. Obviously in a WROL situation not bugging out, but on foot far from home/immediate resupply, it may be an option, yes, if I had to walk any distance, I'd probably want a cart with more gear anyway. No gunfights planned for here, I prefer to be invisible as much as possible.

Echo2
06-19-2012, 05:14 PM
one word.....ziploc

Gunfixr
06-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Slowz1k, I wouldn't get too attached to the armor, Yes, it's useful, I have some myself, but only for certain times. The rest of the time, it's 30-50lbs extra weight. For urban, or the bugout, and during the initial times where there may be lots of fighting, it's good. After that, once it settles down into a basic survival off the land thing, it'll be mostly dead weight.

Ammo is pretty much waterproof as it is. You'd have to leave it submerged for quite some time before it was compromised, except shotgun shells, and even those will last longer than you think.
A couple years ago, I was given 350rds of .45acp ammo by a friend. It had sat in his father's flooded basement after a hurricane. As floodwaters are salt water, the ammo was somewhat corroded, with some being not bad, and some looked like it'd come out of a boat bilge. He figured I'd pull the bullets, tumble them and use them, scrap the rest.
Wrong.
I took Scotchbrite and cleaned off the built up corrosion to where the worst ones would chamber, and shot them. In competition, no less. Every one went off on the first hit. The bullets went where I pointed the pistol. I didn't get enough of the corrosion off some of them, and they didn't fully chamber, but one whack on the back of the slide with the heel of my hand sent them home.
Some of the other shooters were kinda freaked out, looking at my rotten ammo, but hey, most competitions are "lost brass" events, and I didn't want to lose my good stuff.

tc556guy
06-25-2012, 01:54 PM
A couple years ago, I was given 350rds of .45acp ammo by a friend. It had sat in his father's flooded basement after a hurricane. As floodwaters are salt water, the ammo was somewhat corroded, with some being not bad, and some looked like it'd come out of a boat bilge. He figured I'd pull the bullets, tumble them and use them, scrap the rest.
Wrong.
I took Scotchbrite and cleaned off the built up corrosion to where the worst ones would chamber, and shot them. In competition, no less. Every one went off on the first hit. The bullets went where I pointed the pistol. I didn't get enough of the corrosion off some of them, and they didn't fully chamber, but one whack on the back of the slide with the heel of my hand sent them home.
Some of the other shooters were kinda freaked out, looking at my rotten ammo, but hey, most competitions are "lost brass" events, and I didn't want to lose my good stuff.

I did much the same thing at a school I attended last summer.
I was low on shotgun ammo and wound up shooting up a large mix of very varied 12 gauge stuff, from old paper hulled stuff to much newer stuff. Almost all of it fired when the trigger was pulled.
Only towards the end of the day did I run into anything that would fire when needed, and it wasn't based on a particular brand or type of ammo that I'd transitioned to by that point. Had some neat fireballs at a couple of times in the day from some of the oldest stuff.......

tompnoid
06-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Have you ever carried two rifles and a shotgun? Its not so easy, then you have several types of ammo unless the rifles are the same, but shotgun ammo is heavy too.

I used to think I'd carry several of my weapons, but after taking a little hike with them packed I decided that made no sense. Just have a good primary and a handgun.

In some situations I can see taking my 10/22 takedown as well. Of course all of this is assuming I end up solo, hopefully I can get my team together before I have to go into
a fight.

yes the shot gun is heavy but i also got my oldest who is 11 and very able bodied along with the wife i am not leaving the guns ta hell with the nonsense i will not be leaving the weapons. food is priority 1 and the creek is spring fed and we are following it up so drinking water even in winter is not a issue food will be but the guns provide some security as far as food is concerned i mean we will be taking at least a weeks worth of cans and noodles rice whatever but i am sayign stuff your coat the lining it will help carry more and allow it to be on your shoulders and not around your waist

Stormfeather
07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Im currently running 15 rifle mags on the plate carrier, 5 pistol mags, whereas the wife is running 4 rifle mags, and 5 pistol. I know that if the time comes and we have to start lighting the fires, our plan is for me to hold off whomever, while the wife and kids break contact. Obviously that will take more firepower to do that hence the added ammo. As for a resupply, Ive got 100 plus rifle mags, 50+ pistol mags, plus shotgun bandoliers already loaded up, cached, and in ammo cans waiting to be used.

Sniper-T
07-05-2012, 03:23 PM
^ Can I be on your side?

Stormfeather
07-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Thought you already was bro!

Sniper-T
07-05-2012, 05:39 PM
I think I need to buy a few more mags to be effectual. :(

Stormfeather
07-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Just to clarify, theres a reason I have so many mags. Those of us who have been on a two way range and went black on ammo, can testify, that it is a horrible feeling. It has happened to me once, and I swore right afterwards, it would never happen again. Now, I have close to 200 AR mags, 10 Beta-C Mags, 30 or so Glock mags, 30 or so 1911 mags, and 7-8 shotgun bandoliers. Im not done buying yet, not even close. When/if it ever comes down to it, I want to be the guy standing in the end. As long as the lucky bullet with my name on it doesnt catch me, I plan on running whoever it is out of ammo.

Sniper-T
07-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Im currently running 15 rifle mags on the plate carrier, 5 pistol mags, whereas the wife is running 4 rifle mags, and 5 pistol. I know that if the time comes and we have to start lighting the fires, our plan is for me to hold off whomever, while the wife and kids break contact. Obviously that will take more firepower to do that hence the added ammo. As for a resupply, Ive got 100 plus rifle mags, 50+ pistol mags, plus shotgun bandoliers already loaded up, cached, and in ammo cans waiting to be used.

Just out of curiousity... what does that rig weigh? (plate carrier, rifle/pistol mags), your wifes?

cwconnertx
07-06-2012, 08:01 PM
I've got different load outs for different situations, but none quite have that level of magazines. But I have a pretty heavy load in some variations, especially with all the armor on.

That said, I store my ammunition in magazines, I must have at least 50 AR magazines full of ammo

I have a modular approach, different gear for night, day, close quarters, open spaces, short term, long term. So much gear is so specialized its hard to make generalizations,

For instance, I have a left leg platform set up for close quarters / indoors, with flash bangs and rubber ball smoke grenades and CS grenades (rubber balls go through glass, regular smokes, not so much), none of which make any sense in a long term outdoors bug out.

As an alternate load, I have a left leg platform set up with 22 conversion kits, magazines, and 22lr ammo (advantage arms glock 19 conversion and cmmg AR 15), this makes a lot more sense for a long term, don't know when I'll be back since it gives more ammo and ammo options.

Stormfeather
07-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Just out of curiousity... what does that rig weigh? (plate carrier, rifle/pistol mags), your wifes?

Mine, with plates, runs about 65 pounds, wifes with plates, runs about 35 pounds.

digdug18
07-24-2012, 10:27 PM
I already have extra ammo and mags scattered around my town in various places, most are 90rds in stripper clips and 3 mags. They are packaged in a triple layer of mylar, along with a desiccant packet. Most are in bodies of water, weighed down with heavy rocks, or naturally weighed down by their own weight. I am using 550 cord to tie them from floating down stream. They are located under bridges, walkways, in streams, etc. Close enough to my house for a ten minute walk.

The same can and should be done on the way to your BOL or wherever you plan on going.

Andrew