PDA

View Full Version : Composting toilets and are they right for you?

ladyhk13
06-18-2012, 03:46 AM
As we make preps for food, guns, ammo, clothes, medicines, communications, tools and financial needs (just to name some of the things) that we will need if shtf how many of you have thought about what you would do with your human waste should you have to bug out to your cabin in the woods without electric, be without electric due to either an EMP, a shutdown of the electrical grid, a change in lifestyle where you have decided to go off grid or whatever?
There are many composting toilets out now that you can buy or even build yourself and no longer smell like the outhouse or port o potties we all envision when we hear the word "composting toilet" and yet how many of us would actually put one of these in our house? Do any of you have one, used one or plan on having one at some point in the future?
I know no one wants to talk about shit but in a shtf scenario the sanitary conditions of our society could mean the difference between health or disease, comfort or misery.

Katrina
06-24-2012, 04:18 AM
I've been investigating converting one (or both) of my existing toilets to composting ones. I think I saw a company the can do that, just have to convince DH to consider it. I also saw one on line that burns the waste including food and turning it into something to be able to spread in a garden.

ladyhk13
06-24-2012, 06:26 AM
I could never get dh to change one over in the house we have now and I'm not sure if I could get him to put one in our new house. He is really freaked out by crap I guess you could say (it's his cryptonite) and I just wanted to know if anyone has ever used these...I know they are "supposed" to be great but I really want personal experiences and thoughts.

Echo2
06-24-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm going to stick with a privy.....look at capacity on the composting toilets....more than a couple folks....it will foul up unless you want to spend insane amounts of cash.

ladyhk13
06-26-2012, 06:23 AM
There is a blueprint in one of the mags I have somewhere that is a complete system that goes from the upstairs all the way down to the basement and it actually creates compost when finished. It was very interesting the way it worked. I'm going to have to try to find the article and post it so maybe you guys can figure out how it works and see if it would be feasable. My brain doesn't work in the mechanical way and dh wouldn't even consider it unless I could find a compelling argument for it first.