PDA

View Full Version : Garden tools rant

Grumpy Old Man
06-20-2012, 07:01 PM
I just got back from Ace where I bought a hula hoe for weeding. I was already upset that it would be of chinese manufacture, but what really ticked me off was that both edges were dull to the point that I could scrim a fish on the edge!!!! I checked every other implement in the section-they were all unfit to use as they came of the rack. It didn't seem to be this way when I was a kid. But truthfully, I don't remember how the tools were when my parents got them or if Pop sharpened them before putting them into service.

I have had to sharpen all my hand garden tools before putting them into service! I guess that's one more sign that I need to be protected from myself by some USDA idiot bureaucrat who never set foot in a garden but writes regulations covering tools: garden, hand, for use of, edges.:mad:

Sniper-T
06-20-2012, 07:13 PM
close, but no cigar!

I dont remember where it was, but...
About 15 years ago, some kids went into a hardware store and grabbed some tools off the racks, all nicely sharpened. They proceded to rob the place, and injure a number of people. After that, sharp things became dull, or covered (or both).

So further to your comment in the other thread, it isn't so much to protect you from you; but to protect you from the growing violent nature of offenders.

Grumpy Old Man
06-20-2012, 07:33 PM
I thought that was what CCW was for. I can see the point Sniper but it still pisses me off. Personally, I'd love the chance to take a pruning hook to some wannabee desperadoes.

Sniper-T
06-20-2012, 09:28 PM
^
I concur!

bacpacker
06-21-2012, 01:41 AM
I don't recall ever having to sharpen a tool when we would buy one. Any more you can't find a sharp one. Most of the knives I looked at in the knife store the other day were pretty day dull. The hawk I picked up on the other hand was razor sharp.

I did buy a couple of hoe's on line last year. They were made from old disc blades and came very sharp and ready to use. Plus made in the US. I am very happy with both of them. One is a smaller blade for weeding. The other is more of a trench digger, great for laying off rows for planting taters, or chopping out large weed clumps.

Grumpy Old Man
06-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Link please BP. I'd like to see about getting some good hoes. And keep your mind out of the gutter Sniper!

Sniper-T
06-21-2012, 04:47 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e322/patisblog/angel2.jpg

bacpacker
06-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Garden Hoe | Field Hoe | Scrapers | Rogue Hoe | Prohoe (http://www.prohoe.com)

I got the 575 garden hoe and the 55 wooden handle field hoe. There not cheap but are well made. I expect to pass mine on to a niece or nephew one day.

Grumpy Old Man
06-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Ty bp!:)