PDA

View Full Version : Meds, do you have enough

realist
06-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Yesterday I went and visited my doctor. During the visit I asked him to refill one of my prescriptions and then went off to have some tests. When I came back he mentioned that the pharmacist yelled at him for prescribing me some more meds. When I asked him why he said that they were in short supply and hard to get. WTF He said that the company that supplied generic forms of the drug had stopped producing it and that left the original supplier in the driver's seat. The cost of the medicine has gone up dramatically and the supply has dwindled. Okay now fast forward to a time when the SHTF then what? You need to plan in advance to make sure that you have proper stocks to protect yourself. It was a rude awakening for me.....

bacpacker
06-21-2012, 04:42 PM
I've been trying to short cycle our med scrips. We do a 3 month deal and if i time it right can take 2-3 weeks off that. I have stocked some but probably not more than 3 months. It sucks and most likely is only getting worse.

Echo2
06-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Yup....Trying to get ahead on any meds is a must.

A prepper friend of mine who just had a baby....is trying to figure out how to store booster shots.....with little success I may add.

OTC stuff....I just pick up a 1000ct of the bulk stuff from wally world every time I go......also the sudophed....you gotta sign for that crap.....but it works.

In our stores....I also have a few hundred of each of the generic allergy meds too....they may be a blessing later.

IDTANDY
06-22-2012, 09:46 PM
At some point the Meds will run out or will be priced out of reach.I've posted this link before.Use it the same way you use a PDR for drugs.You can grow most of it yourself.
Good point on the kids shots,Echo2,it would difficult,but at least they would of had their basic series.Never had "Booster"shots other than Tetnus as needed.Now being a military pin cushion is another story,flashback,I also did the sticking...:rolleyes:
http://www.scbaghdad.com/e-library/biobooks/PDR.for.Herbal.Medicines.2nd.ed-1563633612.pdf
I use Herbs as an alternative to most modern meds.

bacpacker
06-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Thanks ID, That is a great PDF. Do you have one printed?

It's 1108 pages, but I'm thinkin that would be invaluable in a major SHTF long term senario (EMP in particular). IT looks like it got all kinds of information that could be very valuable to have and know how to use.

Do you have any of the other PRD's mentioned in the copyright section? It looked there may have been 10-12 PDR's on other medical catatagory's.

helomech
06-23-2012, 03:38 AM
Luckily no one in my house takes any meds. Very rarely even a asprin.

bacpacker
06-23-2012, 03:57 AM
I think i would feel better if I didn't.

ladyhk13
06-23-2012, 07:16 AM
The reason many meds are no longer either being manufactured or in such short supply is due to the patents running out on the name brand drugs. When this happens the generic form is allowed to hit the market and the price drops to almost nothing. The pharm co's are starting to refuse to make the generics because there is not enough profit margin in them so these meds (to include even anesthesia's and cancer meds) are in very short supply.
There are foreign countries that are picking them up though. Places like Mexico and Poland but I'm not so sure about their quality control...better get what you can now while things are still being made here in the states. This is not a tin foil hat thing, I actually watched a special about it on a news channel a month or so ago because people are starting to die due to having to postpone surgeries since there is not enough anesthesia and they went into the whole medicine shortage thing.

Taz Baby
06-23-2012, 02:12 PM
As long as there are plants, there is medicine. Learn how to use them. Just stock up on things you need to make it.like vodka and beeswax, or raise bees. Then stock up on things you can,t make.

CommanderKey
06-23-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm no medical genius but I've started making my own mobile herb garden. I have a book that tells me plant poisons and medicine and so I stalk up on any I can get. So, in other words, I'm agreeing with Taz.

rentprop1
06-23-2012, 07:45 PM
thank god my wife and I take the same kind of BP meds, I just keep asking for 6 month prescription each time I visit the doctor and then once I confirm that I'm staying on the same meds, I just ask him to write another script and don't run it through the insurance, its actually the same price at wal-mart with or without insurance just $ 10 for 90 days worth
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu118/rentprop1boats/Picture020.jpg

Taz Baby
06-23-2012, 09:21 PM
CK what is the name of that book and who is it by. So we can add it to our books. I might already have it.

CommanderKey
06-24-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm really sorry Taz, but the book is packed up already... I should be able to tell you round... end of July. I'm really sorry.

Taz Baby
06-24-2012, 06:49 PM
np ck. Just when ever you get a chance.

CommanderKey
06-25-2012, 04:47 AM
I did a little extra work today and dug out the book. It doesnt have an author but I can give you all the information about it. The name is Magic and Medicine of Plants and its a readers digest book. The copy right date is 1983. Hope that helps.

Taz Baby
06-25-2012, 12:17 PM
thank you so much ck. I do not have it but I will be getting it.

CommanderKey
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM
It's my pleasure. It's got some stuff about folklore and magical witches and stuff but after that it's purely Plant name:Poisonous or medicine: Where it can be found: what it looks like: what part should be used: and how to use it.

LUNCHBOX
06-26-2012, 09:09 AM
I feel for everyone that takes a prescribed med. I'm lucky so far that at this time my kids and myself don't take anything. If we did you can bet your ass I'd be getting these medicinal books (I actually have a few now just in case) and any more I could find.

ladyhk13
06-28-2012, 06:55 AM
^It would be good for everyone to have at least some books on hand just in case you needed the info for someone else. They may have the meds/supplies but maybe not the knowledge to use them so at least between the two of you the patient could be treated in an emergency or shtf scenario once they system breaks down and there are no doc's available.