PDA

View Full Version : ATV for multi-use

GunnerMax
06-24-2012, 02:40 AM
Guys/Gals,

My wife, before we met, was big into dirtbikes and 4 wheelers. I have decided to get into it with her a little while after our daughter is here.

She wants something fast like a Yamaha Raptor, but I want something more utility like a Grizzly, with racks.

It got me thinking about it being an "Oh crap, the roads are clogged, cant use the truck to get from point A to point B." in a situation 4 wheeler, well mine at least.

Are there any features on a 4 wheeler you guys can think of. It has to have electronics on it, as I want to get a new one. Yeah, it wont be EMP proof, but itll do besides that.

Suggestions? like, you need a bushguard, racks, cold/hot weather long term driving.

helomech
06-24-2012, 02:52 AM
I love my Honda Big Red side by side 600 cc. I can carry 1000 lbs in the bed.

A winch is nice to have, I also have a snorkel, gun rack, windshield, roof, trailer hitch and so on.

GunnerMax
06-24-2012, 04:49 AM
I am getting a 4 wheeler. side by side setups are too big for my truck to haul, to make my decision more specific. I do like the idea of a snorkel and winch

Echo2
06-24-2012, 12:06 PM
A winch is the biggest asset to have on any off road vehicle.....less motorcycle.

I personally like the Artic Cats....the BOL has a Rhino, a Polaris, and a JD 6x Mule w/ dump bed.....all have winches for either pulling it....or others.

A good tow strap to tie back with is a must also.....couple shackles.

Slime the tires.

Foghorn
06-24-2012, 02:14 PM
A couple of things I looked for when I bought mine were:

1 A water cooled engine. The air cooled overheat if there is not enough air flow like if you are pulling a load at slow speeds.

2 4 wheel independent suspension.

3 In and out 4 wheel drive

I have to agree with others about the slime for the tires.

I bought a Bombardier in 05 and am well satisfied with it's performance. I put a ball hitch on the back and tow a 4x6 trailer when I need to carry a lot. I find that I cannot haul a heavy load in the trailer over hilly terrain because the ATV looses traction. A UTV might be better suited to move larger heavy loads.

JMO-YMMV
Doug

helomech
06-24-2012, 02:18 PM

I bought a Bombardier in 05 and am well satisfied with it's performance. I put a ball hitch on the back and tow a 4x6 trailer when I need to carry a lot. I find that I cannot haul a heavy load in the trailer over hilly terrain because the ATV looses traction. A UTV might be better suited to move larger heavy loads.

JMO-YMMV
Doug

My UTV will drag old telephone poles around the yard, leaving a trench in its path. It amazes me what it will pull.

Foghorn
06-24-2012, 03:20 PM
My UTV will drag old telephone poles around the yard, leaving a trench in its path. It amazes me what it will pull.

The ATV will drag things pretty well. I think dragging puts weigh on the rear wheels and assists in better traction. When I load the wagon with something like fire wood there isn't much extra weight on the ATV and it will loose traction, especially on gravel or loose dirt. If I were to buy now, a UTV would be my first choice.

JMO-YMMV
Doug

helomech
06-24-2012, 03:26 PM
The ATV will drag things pretty well. I think dragging puts weigh on the rear wheels and assists in better traction. When I load the wagon with something like fire wood there isn't much extra weight on the ATV and it will loose traction, especially on gravel or loose dirt. If I were to buy now, a UTV would be my first choice.

JMO-YMMV
Doug

I have used it to pull lots of things. Even getting my wifes van unstuck. It helps a lot when it weighs 1400 lbs get lots more traction than a 300 lb 4 wheeler. I don't miss my 4 wheeler at all.

Sniper-T
06-25-2012, 10:54 AM
As stated, a winch is a must. A hitch on the back is invaluable. Racks to pile stuff and tie stuff down to are awesome.

nice options: power steering, 4 wheel diff lock.

get appropriate tires for the bike (size and aggression) no sense having 31" zillas on a 400cc

get appropriate tires for where you are and what you plan on doing. 3" mud lugs in the desert may not be necessary.

Quad's are typically cold to ride in the winter, although I know a few people who put a plastic 'bubble' on for plowing snow in the winter.

TOOTHPICK
07-02-2012, 11:03 PM
I have an '09 Honda Foreman. power steering, select 4WD. You can shift it like a manual. or put in a gear and run it like an automatic. naturally I beat the bloody hell out of it when I first got it. I have rolled it a few times (Lunchbox was there for at least 1!), stood it straight up several times, and it always starts right up and runs like a champ. The plastics, push bar, and racks never break bend or fall off! I make sure to change the oil in it regularly. I have a Quad-Boss "weekender" box on the back which is the cat's ass! all kinds of storage room plus it stays dry. You lose rack space obviously, but it's nice to have all that dry space. Plus a passenger can ride a lot more comfortably. I agree with the winch and hitch. I have used mine to pull everything from broke-down tractors to dead horses to trucks to other quads out of deep mud holes (not using the winch, all quad power!). I have always planned to have my wheeler as part of my plans. It'll run forever on a tank of gas before you have to switch to reserves, and it'll run a good bit more. The back box has a little cubby cut in it for a gallon gas can, which I always keep filled up. It also has a pull cord starter in the event that your battery dies which let's face it, is awesome! The quad is good even if you don't HAVE to have it as an escape vehicle. You can use it to forage or hunt or scope out different terrain or territory that your truck can't do. Call me crazy, but as soon as I bought the quad and back box, I put together a GHB for it and it stays in there at all times! I'd go with a good utility quad if I was you!