PDA

View Full Version : Balkan War Survivor

Foghorn
06-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Here is a question and answer piece from another site I sometimes go to. You might find it interesting.

IAmA Balkan War Survivor: Lived in a city surrounded by enemy army for more than a year without power, law and order and basic supplies. : IAmA (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/vitie/iama_balkan_war_survivor_lived_in_a_city/)

Vodin
06-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Wow it is an eye opener. I have read some of what he has to say and gotta say it has opened my eyes.

SHTF School - Real Life Survival Experiences (http://shtfschool.com/)

bacpacker
06-24-2012, 04:42 PM
WOW! Some great points made in those. Here is a couple things at first glance that stood out to me.

"It is hard to discuss about things that we can not imagine, but it is absolutely important to prepare your mind that lot of things are not gonna unfold on the way as we imagine it now. When this happens we push our limits. You might have to do things you never do, see things you can hardly believe.

We need to prepare ourselves that we will be confused because this is what happens when you cross limits and end up at place you never been before. We need to expect that. We need to be able to feel confident while being confused and in new situations."

"The takeaway from this is if you train for SHTF put yourself in new situations. Start by running at night, when its raining on small dark paths (that you know in beginning). It takes time to get used to things like that and feel more confident when you hardly see where you go.

Survival is about advantages. If I feel comfortable in shady ruins or moving fast during pitch black forest that is a real advantage. You can imagine how to do this, but try doing this is much more important.

It feels funny to step into the darkness.

Simple things like running in the dark can be practiced and can make a big difference once things get tough.

Try this:

Run in the dark
Eat things you do not like to eat and try to appreciate them
Be able to get dirty without getting stressed about it
Walk different ways, get comfortable with unknown environments"

Those two statements have a lot of truth in them. The more things you can imagine and think thru now, the easier it would be to begin dealing with it in a real situation. Thanks for posting these up guys. I will be spending some time purusing these sites and see what all I can grab from them.

IDTANDY
06-24-2012, 05:56 PM
You do what you have to do.....Be a Jack of all trades and a master of none.........

bacpacker
06-24-2012, 07:20 PM
ID, I'm hoping that serves me well.

Fatty
06-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Along with Selco's story, i would equally recommend Ferfal's as well.

About | The Modern Survivalist (http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/about)

His book was very informative to say the least. Seems to apply to what could possibly be happening to the u.s. In the near future.

If anyone would like to read his book, id be willing to throw it in the mail on the condition i would get it back within a month's period.