PDA

View Full Version : Greetings! Introduction and question regarding wisdom of in-person discussion group

Marthony
06-27-2012, 03:17 AM
Hello there!

Well, I've read through most topics of the 11 pages of the 'general' discussion threads and have learned enough to guess at each of your favorite colors. Or how not to instantly put my foot in my mouth, whichever. =)

I can't say I've ever been in a shtf scenario, but I've had enough minor events to make me want to be better prepared for emergencies. For the most part this has meant vehicle breakdowns in the middle of nowhere in bad weather (-30C), but has also included power outages, minor household floods, near-misses or concern about larger floods, forest fires & bears.

My vehicle's emergency kit has evolved to be a large tupperware kit++, missing only a fire extinguisher at this point. (suggestions on a good compact one would be welcome!) While some think my vehicle kit is excessive, I don't think they've been 'there' yet. The high school grads I helped the other month were a mix of surprised & grateful when I used my air compressor to inflate their truck's emergency donut from 35 to the needed 60psi. =) I must say I'm a bit disturbed by how totally unprepared many drivers are, especially in winter.

Other than developing my vehicle kit well, I can't say that I'm otherwise that 'prepared'. I've been doing a fair bit of reading in the last year however, to get a better understanding of what 'prepared' means:
-Les Stroud's 'Survive!' and 'Will to Live'
-The SAS Survival Handbook
-Cody Lundin's 'When All Hell Breaks Loose'
-Your forum and bits of others
(not really related, but the '48 Laws of Power' is worth reading as well)

Other than that I enjoy camping, hiking, snowshoeing, canoeing, etc., and have made 3 igloos last season with the Icebox igloo making tool.

At this stage I'm educating myself towards proper creation of 3-day BOB's for my wife & I. I've started by making scans of all our essential documents to a USB drive, and next will sign up for a safety deposit box to have the originals placed in. As time goes I'll read through the rest of the forum groups on this website before asking questions about preferred BOB packs, crank/solar powered radios/charging units, password protections for USB data, etc. I will also start practicing things, the first to be a solar oven, followed by the magnesium firestarter (owned one for years, never actually tried it).

The main hazards in my mountainous area are:
- Flooding
- Forest Fire
- Train derailment of hazardous goods
- Temporary grid failure
- Becoming stranded due to vehicle breakdown
- Security of important documents/records from any # of angles
- Severe weather (minus tornadoes & hurricanes as n/a for area)
- General outdoorsmen preparedness

As to my present question:

By chance the other day a couple co-workers and I came onto the topic of preparedness. I wasn't aware that either had been thinking on the subject before. Long conversation, with a general tone regarding vulnerabilities of infrasctructure and average preparedness for emergencies. We ended the chat with the suggestion that we create a local 'club' to meet once a month to discuss the topic. I have to wonder how many others I know are interested in the general topic.

I am looking for general advice on this.

While I'd like to think only good could come out of this, I can't help but wonder; I don't want to bring doomsday paranoia folks out, or take on
responsibility for the momentum such discussions may generate. Similar to this forum's rules, I also seek to avoid discussions involving politics, religion and conspiracy theories. At the same time, it can be important to know people in town that are prepared and/or have other skills I lack.

I am thinking instead to direct them to the books I've read and to this forum, and not to start an in-person discussion group at this time. It can be said that I'm too new to this anyway; it could be an arrangement made later after all interested read up on the topic to have a more meaningful discussion.

What do you folks think?

Thanks for putting together this site by the way, it looks very informative and level-headed!

Sniper-T
06-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Welcome aboard!

Given the nature, general tone, and information in your post, it looks like you'll be a welcome addition to the colony. I would suggest caution in starting a group, either IRL or Online, as most here can attest to seemingl good groups going south in a hurry with just one or two zombie hunters/political activists.

We'll try to answer your questions as best we can, and look forward to hearing what you might have to offer.

Oh, And I'm thinking your fav colour is white, you wear size 11 shoes, and you have 7 fillings. ;)

And... you are probably 1500km (ish) WEST of the Geographical center of Canada.

Stormfeather
06-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Welcome aboard!

Given the nature, general tone, and information in your post, it looks like you'll be a welcome addition to the colony. I would suggest caution in starting a group, either IRL or Online, as most here can attest to seemingl good groups going south in a hurry with just one or two zombie hunters/political activists.

We'll try to answer your questions as best we can, and look forward to hearing what you might have to offer.

Oh, And I'm thinking your fav colour is white, you wear size 11 shoes, and you have 7 fillings. ;)

And... you are probably 1500km (ish) East of the Geographical center of Canada.

I thought Canuckville was 1400km(ish) West of the Geographical center of Canada? ;)

Sniper-T
06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Could be Stormy, I took a guess. Since he mentioned 'mountains' it is either the Rockies, or the Appalachians. both are about 1500 km from me
Although the later are a little further.

And yeah, in Hindsight, he sounds more like a Western boy, than an Eastern. I'll Acquiesce to your suggestion!

bacpacker
06-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Welcome in to the colony Marthony! Sounds to me like you are well on your way to getting prepared by working out some of the senarios you could facee. To me that is the first place to start while so many folks start buying stuff with no real plan. That winds up being more costly in the end.
I would be somewhat hesitant about joining a club, although if you know these folks fairly well just having some general discussions couldn't really hurt. I would suggest not talking about what you are doing in any detail, just general terms and certainly not about quantities. Discussing a couple of the books you mentioned might be a good starting point.

Either way good luck and I look forward to seeing your posting. Just remember the only bad questions are the ones not asked.

tompnoid
06-27-2012, 06:59 PM
I am reminded of what michael ruppert said once "you will starve as a rugged individual you will thrive as part of a community or in a group" In my life i have never ran into a situation where having a team was a bad thing. Just be cautious you know news loves to sell subscriptions and militia people make the front page when the fbi raids them.

Evolver
06-28-2012, 02:56 AM
Welcome to the board.

So what is my color? LOL

No less than 5 lb AB$C rated extinguisher http://www.amazon.com/Lb-Kiddie-Fire-Extinguisher-Rated/dp/B0028OCBSK, Slim fix a flat kit SLIME – Worldwide Leader in Tire Care – Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant (http://www.slime.com/) and being prepared for anything that might happen will put the odds in you and loved ones favor for survival. Plain and simple :)

Marthony
06-28-2012, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the welcomes!

White? Is that a trick catch-all answer, as a mix of all colors in lights gives you white? =) In that case, yes, green. Correct on shoes, alas, many more fillings than that! =) Evolver, I'm guessing red.

Yes, I'm in the mountains in the West. Beautiful area, but the restrictions on firearms do challenge an element of a BOB. As little edibles grow in the area it means sustained grid failure is also a little different.

I do know the guys fairly well, and they aren't hotheads, so there is a chance of good coming of a discussion group. Never hurts to listen to tradesmen offer their thoughts on approaching problems either...will see.

Thanks for implying small fire ext.'s aren't up to the task Evolver; I was tempted to look into compact versions. I should instead look at improved tupperware/storage methods for the back of my 1st gen. Rav4. I make a point of keeping items contained/unmoving...makes it easier to hear sounds of concern when they happen!

Katrina
06-28-2012, 03:31 AM
Marthony
Welcome.
Don't forget to have the wife join the ladies forum.

LUNCHBOX
06-28-2012, 05:36 AM
M, welcome....For me this is a simple one. If you have the chance to get with others and maybe put a group together then you have to try. Besides, if you find they are not the individuals you want to be around you can just stop. I have always said the best chance you, me and everyone else will need numbers to make it through a major "shtf" scenario.

If you have gear on hand you should be putting to use to make sure it works for you and also work on your preps to the same extent you have on your car kit.

ladyhk13
06-28-2012, 07:12 AM
Welcome and yes, if there is a Mrs...pls have her join our Ladies forum. Pm me if you have any questions. I agree that this might be a good chance for you to connect with people with the same goals as you. These people work with you so you obviously already know them and feel comfortable enough to have started the conversation to begin with. You don't have to discuss how many guns/ammo/food items or such that any of you have but you can discuss the types of things you feel you should be prepping for either natural disasters (you guys have to deal with the cold, power outages...food shortages due to the climate, find a common topic and build upon it). If you see these guys want to go Rambo you can always ease back. Best case scenario is you start a MAG and it builds into a larger community which is what we all hope for in an emergency.
Good luck and keep us posted on how it's going.