PDA

View Full Version : On the Air

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-27-2012, 03:23 AM
Well it's up and runnin' talked to Texas, Oklahoma City and Nebraska tonight. Now all I need to do is tune the antenna. I bought a solarcon 2000 antenna, that mother's 24' tall! talk about fun to put up. You got to have some serious wrists when it comes to climbing an antenna tower, pulling that thing up and dropping that wobbling 24' willow branch swayin in the wind in that pipe. Oh yeah, the pucker factor was was about an "8" on that one. Next time I'll get a safety harness............

Be safe.............the night is your friend

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-29-2012, 02:41 PM
OK so this radio I have is currently running through the 24.265 - 27.650 MHZ not the advertized 28.245 - 29.655 MHZ So what I was listening to was CB sideband on 27.285. Had Hawaii night before last,..............?????????? Well there must be a resister in there somewhere that needs snippin! Talked to an ol' boy down at the parts store the other day, said "go up to Mount Eagle to the old white truck stop. Around back there's a shop that does CB work, been there for years. Them boys know how to modify all that stuff, tune it up so to speak". So what that Ranger does is talk 10, annnnd 11 meter band, which means I can talk, legally and Illegally. Speaking of Illegals, I sure did notice alot of Farsi and Mexican speaking people on the air......................pondering the thought here fellas, and ladies of course. I sure as shit wish I had an interpreter. I would like to know just what they are all talking about. But they are coming in plane as day. well anyway when it comes to what they are saying I don't know shit from, http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1107/shineola.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/shineola.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

So on that note, what else is going on around here that we are not paying attention to? Guess I could record some of this stuff just for GP and see if I can translate. Hey any of you ground pounders out there still speak any Farsi, Aribic lingo of the sort still? Up for a challenge? OH and yes, that box of "Shinola" sits on my shelf in the office, I only loan the picture out.

Be safe............. the night is your friend.

IDTANDY
06-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Sounds interesting.Used to do dx listening,have an old Grunding from the 60's.
Wish I could help with the translating.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-29-2012, 03:33 PM
OK, some people might think the stuff is a little "dated" therefore most people don't pay it any mind. But I found it to be a very small investment. You'd be suprised what you can get for free when you just be polite and ask "how much?" around here. But there is another means of comms on another band, or two, and it's cheap and hardly used and deffinately has the range. Compare the costs of the Big SW stuff. I know I could fire it up and tune them suckers in right now. ............

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

bacpacker
06-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Sounds like things are working good for you. Your getting some great distance contacts. Hawaii is very impressive. What are your closest contacts?

Is the farsi and mexican on 10 or 11 meters? That would interesting hear. Are they across the band on on one freq?

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Sounds like things are working good for you. Your getting some great distance contacts. Hawaii is very impressive. What are your closest contacts?

Is the farsi and mexican on 10 or 11 meters? That would interesting hear. Are they across the band on on one freq?

I've listen to someone as close as Lynchburg and on I-65 and 64. I've been hearing the "Tangos" on the 11 meter side on various freqs. Was going to tune in last night but didn't get around to it. Do you have anyone up there on either band?

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

austinrob
06-30-2012, 07:29 PM
I've heard lots of mexican chatter (not tex-mex spanish, based on some of the spanish speakers in my home, the accent is a central mexico accent) on 14.275 and 14.280 Not so much farsi on 20m. I don't get up on 10/11m much, though my antenna will do it, so I don't know why I don't.