PDA

View Full Version : Rafts

The Stig
07-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Looking at the picture of me and some coworkers white water rafting got me to thinking.....

Anybody in a situation near a body of water, white or otherwise, where a raft is a suitable mode of transportation or rapid evacuation?

Cheap, quiet, doesn't use fuel and can carry supplies. Course if you puncture one it sucks.

LUNCHBOX
07-02-2012, 01:09 AM
That's a good question. I'm not far from a waterway (Cincinnati) but I don't know if I would choose that mode of transportation. IMO it could be to costly, one unlucky hole and your done along with your gear. If I had to choose that route I think I would at least try to get my hands on a stronger vessel. Of course, if that's all you have then good luck.

bacpacker
07-02-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't have one, however between work and home a two rivers one maybe 50 yards across. The other i typically cross at a dam where the river is 100-150 yards across or i could cross the lake further upstream and come out close to the house. I'm guessing here but at that point the lake may be hamlf a mile wide or so. Some type of raft just for getting me home is a real consideration. It is something i have been trying to work out for 3-4 years now.

rentprop1
07-03-2012, 04:12 AM
I think a guy tried to cross Tampa Bay in a raft once................once

Sniper-T
07-03-2012, 11:33 AM
If I needed to get to my secondary bug out location, I could take a raft about 1/2 way there, but I'd have some mighty big water to traverse (Lake Winnipeg). But then I'd have the other 1/2 way to go UP another waterway. Rather than a raft, I'd just take a couple of canoes. But they would work

realist
07-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Rafts are good if you have moving water. Across a large body of water I agree with Sniper I would want a canoe or kayak. Now a raft with a motor is another thing. I would take a rigid hull Zodiac any day with a nice motor.

DarkLight
07-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Cheap, quiet, doesn't use fuel and can carry supplies. Course if you puncture one it sucks.

Duct tape...it's the hanyman's secret weapon! Depending on the puncture...

IDTANDY
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Sailboat,use sail or kite.ALA Water world.Modren Survival rafts now carry sails,used them they work well.