PDA

View Full Version : Food Cost

bacpacker
07-04-2012, 12:59 AM
I heard a report of the Farm Monitor Report on RFD TV last weekend, discussing the dry conditions in the mid west and possible consiquinces to the corn crop and the rise in food cost that has already started. Today I found this article.

Drought threatens U.S. food prices - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/drought-threatens-us-food-prices/2012/06/27/gJQAzNZd7V_story.html)

By Peter Whoriskey, Published: June 27

A drought in the Corn Belt and elsewhere in the Midwest has pushed the bushel price of corn up about 27 percent in the past month alone, and there is little sign of rain in the near future, a forecast that could soon push up food costs across the country, meteorologists say.

Last week, 63 percent of the corn crop was rated in good or better condition, according to the Agriculture Department. This week, that figure had fallen to 56 percent.

Concerns arise as the crop approaches pollination, a particularly sensitive two-week period when bad weather can inflict significant damage.

“You only get one chance to pollinate over 1 quadrillion kernels,” said Bill Lapp, president of Advanced Economic Solutions, a Omaha-based commodity consulting firm. “There’s always some level of angst at this time of year, but it’s significantly greater now and with good reason. We’ve had extended periods of drought.”

Corn is among the most valuable of U.S. crops, and its price has ripple effects across a wide range of food prices.

Rising corn prices mean higher costs for beef producers who use it to feed their livestock; it also means that some fields planted with other crops will be shifted into corn production. In addition, it puts upward pressure on the price of ethanol.

“Getting a big corn crop is important for everyone,” said David Anderson, an agricultural economist at Texas A&M.

In less than a month, the future price of a bushel of corn has risen from $4.99 to $6.33, Lapp said. The supply of corn in the United States, meanwhile, is down about 8 percent from last year, according to Agriculture Department statistics.

The area affected by the drought is a swath of the Midwest that reaches as far west as Kansas, as far south as Arkansas and as far east as Indiana, according to the National Weather Service, and the dry conditions have come on fast.

Last week, about 19 percent of the contiguous United States was facing drought conditions characterized as severe or worse. This week that percentage had grown to 24 percent, according to federal forecasters.

“Based on the drought outlook, the potential for further degradation is very high, and the potential to reach exceptional levels of drought — where there are major crop failures — is very high,” said Matthew Rosencrans, a Weather Service meteorologist. “The climate signals we are looking at right now don’t correlate with wetness in that region.”

It may be time to really start paying attention to food cost and fill in area's you are lacking in.

rice paddy daddy
07-04-2012, 02:53 AM
The wife and I are big watchers of RFD-TV, and their new channel Rural TV also.
We pay particular attention to This Week In Agribusiness, and US Farm Report.
And Georgia Farm Monitor.
There's a lot one can learn to help in their preps. Example - we learned of the poor duram wheat harvest last winter, and the resulting sharp rise coming for pasta products, in time to lay in a good supply of spaghetti.
There's a lot of good family entertainment for us old geezers too.

bacpacker
07-04-2012, 04:02 AM
Exactly what we have found by watching it. Plus i enjoy seeing the old tractor shows and stuff.

rice paddy daddy
07-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Classic Tractor Fever and Prarie Farm Report!! Yeah, baby, that's what I'm talking about!!!!
And Roy Rogers, Cumberland Highlanders, and when I'm in a certain mood the Mollie B Polka Party.
Who says farmers ain't hip?

Grumpy Old Man
07-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Not to mention all the good equestrian shows they have as well as the old boy who does campfire and dutch oven cooking. But, back to topic, I watch food prices and the news every day to see what I need to stock up on. Yesterday I scored big at Stater Brothers! Tri-Tip sirloin roasts were on sale for $3.99/lb. I bought 3 for a total of 15 lbs to vacuum seal and freeze (which I did). I look for sales around any holiday and stock up then. Also BOGOs and coupons are your friends when purchasing foodstuffs and household goods.

bacpacker
07-04-2012, 06:22 PM
That is a huge advantage I think we as preppers have. We have stores of commonly used goods. That gives us the opportunity to buy items on sale which allows us to purchase more with less. And choose what and when to buy.

Grumpy Old Man
07-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Just a thought, but as the midwest is suffering a lack of rain and higher temps, look for poor wheat, corn and soybean harvests to drive up food costs.

bacpacker
07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
The prices for grain futures have already took a jump. They will get worse if they get some decent rain in the next week or two. Corn in particular has to pollenate or there wont be a harvest. Its looking pretty bleak right now.

msomnipotent
07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Don't forget that the cherry harvest is poor, and the apple harvest is expected to be very poor this fall due to the weather in March/April. What's next? I was going to pay off a credit card next month, but we are thinking of ordering a cow again instead. The interest is only 1.5%, so it isn't breaking us.