PDA

View Full Version : Ramblings from an old veteran

Stg1swret
07-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Today we celebrate the birthday of our nation. The first nation founded on the princiapls that all men had certain rights that could not be bestowed on them by their government, not given or taken away. We fought three wars to ensure these rights for all persons living within our borders, the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the American Civil War. We have also waged war to ensure these rights for others, WW1, WW2, Korea and Viet Nam.

Some where along the way however, a large segment of the American population has lost there way when it comes to this great country. They no longer belive in the idea that is America. they would rather we be like the rest of the world. The Declaration of Independence, and Constitution to them are no longer valid founding documents , alive with the American spirit and dream of of our founding father's. These documents are just the writings of old men, now long dead, and have no place in the new complex world of today, there words meaningless in the "new" globally inter-dependant world.

I for one would disagree, and say that today more then ever these words written on old parchment serve as a guideline and inspiration for all of us. It is time we renew these words in not just our lives, but in our children and neighbors. It has been a long time since most of us looked at these documents and words, probably not since High School for many of us.This maybe why we are in the state we are today, becuase many like us have not taken to heart those words, and lived them as our fore fathers did. Live the dream, and make it again a reality.

robin48
07-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Excellent post!

Stg1swret
07-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Well, I was a bit surprised to say the least about my neighborhood. I worked yesterday, so I didn't expect to see any flag but mine up at6 AM, when I left for work. Returning at 4 PM, much to my dismay, I still was the only house flying Old Glory. Sure the neighbors were having there cook outs and shooting off firewworks, But how hard is it to put up the flag and fly it?

I guess I was expecting to much from those on my block, especially since your and my taxes are supporting them. No they aren't unemployed, in the sense of they lost there jobs, they are for the most part all on government assistence and food stamps. there housing is paid for to, as is there medical. The least they could do is fly the flag. I know they have them.